Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more If it locks up, carries, fits on to or cleans up your firearms, discuss it here.

Old 12-07-2012, 8:50 PM

Default Newbie cleaning kits

About to become a 1st time gun owner and am looking for a decent cleaning kit. I came across this and I think it has everything I need for my 9mm and comes in a nice case. Thoughts?

http://www.cheaperthandirt.net/produ...Fal_QgodvykANw

Last edited by veritas137; 12-07-2012 at 9:04 PM..
Old 12-07-2012, 8:54 PM

Link isn't working for me, but I really like the Otis kits.
Old 12-08-2012, 2:37 PM

+1 for the Otis kits.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OTIS-9mm-NEW...81014438958%26
Old 12-08-2012, 3:37 PM

I bought the Hoppes kit at walmart last weekend.
Seemed to do the job pretty well and had what I needed to clean my Beretta.
I figured for $25 I couldn't go wrong.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:06 PM

I jus purchased my first gun a XD9 and looking for a cleaning kit as well. Are there any other things u gun vets can recommend or advise on getting for a first timer gun owner? Any tips or tricks to cleaning or maintaining? Preferred ammo for range or HD?
Old 12-08-2012, 10:24 PM
Veteran Member

I am a huge fan of "pull through kits.". It what we were taught to use in the British army when I was a cadet. I much prefer them and easier to carry. The Otis kits are great but make you rely on their patches. If you get the Otis kit, save some money and use regular patches or cut your own to size. Some jobs, I feel, need a good bore brush to get a really deep scrub (AR chamber). Other than that, check out deals on eBay for an Otis kit as it can be cheaper than CTD. I picked my universal Otis kit for under $10 on an eBay auction.
GP100 6" stainless
Vepr x54r with 23" Barrel
12 gauge O/U with 32" or 34" barrels & removable Chokes

Need some AR500 targets? Free $10 credit.
https://shootingtargets7.com/store/?...pBdnFlL0FxS3M9
Old 12-09-2012, 3:30 AM
I need a LIFE!!

the best cleaning kit related purchase i have ever made was a large old UMCO fishing tackle box. i prefer to select individual pieces that i like for my cleaning kit, and a large box with foldout trays and separate compartments within those trays offers opportunity to customize and expand the kit to the user's personal wants and needs. within a good sized box is storage space under the foldout trays for larger items that can't fit anywhere else.

some folks find that a large box and contents is cumbersome and not necessary; i find it to be essential. i've got everything from Q-tips and Dewey cleaning rods to old tee shirt remnants in that old box. there are other things made for purposes 'other than for a cleaning kit' that are 'missing' from various locations in my home... that have found their way into that box, as well.

i do have smaller kits; one for travel and a minimalist kit for bob. imo, pre-made kits such as those mentioned in this thread are not bad purchases; i simply prefer to do it my way.
Old 12-09-2012, 5:03 AM
Calguns Addict

Walmart has some pretty cheap kits. I got one at a local shop, THEN I saw the Walmart prices for the cheap kits. My shotgun kit was a Walmart special (I don't remember the brand), but since the Walmart kits are so reasonably priced, you COULD buy 3 and still save money...

For my AR, I do keep a GI buttstock kit (A2, so it fits..).
Old 12-10-2012, 3:36 AM

I've heard Otis kits are nice, but I'd also recommend any of the cheap cleaning kits from Walmart. Otis uses special patches, so I prefer the generic kits that can use generic (i.e. cheaper) patches.
Old 12-10-2012, 1:28 PM
CGSSA Wine Country Chapt.
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by the86d View Post
Walmart has some pretty cheap kits. I got one at a local shop, THEN I saw the Walmart prices for the cheap kits. My shotgun kit was a Walmart special (I don't remember the brand), but since the Walmart kits are so reasonably priced, you COULD buy 3 and still save money...

For my AR, I do keep a GI buttstock kit (A2, so it fits..).
+1 for the GI Buttstock kit! Metal parts and cheap as a surplus. It is small and best of all, metal eye holes.

Keep the pieces in mind take wear and tear as much as your gun, Use metal rods and eyelets as much as possible. Otis is great for space and what you get, but also Hoppes kits allow you to customize the caliber you are cleaning.

-- Thomas Jefferson
Old 12-10-2012, 3:25 PM

Thanks for all the advice. Any feedback on that Gunslick kit I posted or any of their products? I am still leaning towards it because of everythign it comes with even though it is a little more expensive.
Old 12-10-2012, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veritas137 View Post
About to become a 1st time gun owner and am looking for a decent cleaning kit. I came across this and I think it has everything I need for my 9mm and comes in a nice case. Thoughts?

http://www.cheaperthandirt.net/produ...Fal_QgodvykANw

They call that a "compact" kit. IDK, looks rather large to me. Certainly comprehensive, but large.

This is a compact kit:

http://www.amazon.com/Kleenbore-Care...eenbore+pockit

I have one of these and have used it extensively for a year now on .22's, .40's, and .45's with no complaints. The handle will hold at least two different calibers of brush, jag, and bore mop or patch holder.

If (at least for now) all you are cleaning is a 9 mm, or planning on limiting yourself to hand held firearms, this would be something to consider.....
Old 12-14-2012, 9:20 PM
Calguns Addict

Otis all the way. if youa re considering buying another firearm, and how many of us stopped after one. Pick up the larger kit the does nearly every caliber on the market.

http://www.wtgtactical.com/Otis-Tact...System-750.htm
^ does damn near anything you can find. and it is in a small package.
D1.1 1F/G, 2F/G, 3F/G unlimited range, Steel SMAW
I can make custom shooting targets and paracord accesories. PM me.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:36 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckyrulez View Post
Otis uses special patches, so I prefer the generic kits that can use generic (i.e. cheaper) patches.
I don't have an Otis kit yet, but I've watched their cleaning videos and it appears the only thing special about the Otis patches is that they have a small slit/hole cut in them offset from the center to allow the cleaning tip to be inserted through the patch. I don't see why you can't make your own with generic patches and a sharp knife.
"The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed뾵here the government refuses to stand for re-election and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake free people get to make only once." - Justice Alex Kozinski, 9th US Circuit Crt of Appeals