Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Hunting and Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hunting and Fishing Rifle, Shotgun, Handgun, Archery, Blackpowder Saltwater and Fresh Water

Old 01-03-2013, 9:00 PM
CGSSA Associate
CGN Contributor

Default Squirrel Problem in Suburbia - What to do?

My parent's home have a major squirrel problem. It used to be fun to just watch the squirrels feed and play. But in the last year or so, they have infiltrated their attic spaces and even mess around inside soffit areas covered by stucco. We called Clark Pest Control, and they really can't do anything to rid the squirrels because they can only get "rodents". We tried a licensed trapper guy, but after 2 attempts during the course of 4 weeks, he didn't catch anything.

Not only is it annoying that they crawl around the attic spaces (many areas inaccessible), they pee and poo all over, which I imagine is a health hazard. The last straw, which my parents ftold me to finally "do what it takes", was they've managed to chew or scratch through the ceiling, making a quarter-sized hole through the drywall.

Here's what I've been thinking, although I don't know what to do. Keep in mind they live in suburbia, but the home is one a 1 acre lot, neighbors still relatively close:

1) Can I trap the squirrels myself? I heard you need a license, but it's unclear in my research whether or not it's an option for a property owner.

2) I have an old pellet gun, but after fragging some of their buddies, it seems squirrels have multiplied, and they are too smart! Whenever they see anyone, even a pool guy, they stool their pants and dart through trees. Now I'm a horrible shot on a moving squirrel.

3) I've read mixed reviews on CCI shotshell ammo. They have them in everything from 22lr to 45 acp. Would that even work? Will it be too loud in a neighborhood?

4) They absolutely have to get their roof checked out to see where the squirrels are coming in, but if they close it off, and their entire family is in there, that's a stinky health hazard as well.

Thanks
Old 01-03-2013, 9:13 PM

Use a pellet gun and a humane trap. Shoot them when you can and when you trap them either drown them or shoot them. Toss em in the trash and kill more.
Old 01-03-2013, 9:42 PM
Veteran Member

http://www.kania.net/squirrel-trapping.htm
Old 01-03-2013, 9:47 PM

been solving my rat/squirrel problems with one of these in .22 caliber.. quiet but will shoot thru a redwood 1x4 fence... so beware....

http://www.airgundepot.com/gamo-whisper.html
Greebo, as a matter of feline pride, would attempt to fight or rape absolutely anything, up to and including a four-horse logging wagon. Ferocious dogs would whine and hide under the stairs when Greebo sauntered down the street. Foxes Kept away from the village. Wolves made a detour. Terry Pratchett
Old 01-03-2013, 9:48 PM
Prawn Lives Matter
CGN Contributor

A choice of cancer or polio

-Jagger\Richards 68
Old 01-03-2013, 9:58 PM

We had a large squirrel population. Then one day they were just gone. Never saw another one. I figured someone poisoned them.

Before they disappeared I had my fathers skunk trap on my patio with no bait in it. It was set because he was showing me how it worked. We went to lunch and when we came back it was sprung. Stupid squirrel was in it. We just let him go but we were surprised it went in there.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:03 PM
CGSSA Associate
CGN Contributor

Haha Jedi Squirrels!

Im afraid the Kania trap, if available in cali, will capture cats!
Old 01-03-2013, 10:03 PM
CGSSA Associate
CGN Contributor

Haha Jedi Squirrels!

Im afraid the Kania trap, if available in cali, will capture cats!
Old 01-03-2013, 10:06 PM
Prawn Lives Matter
CGN Contributor

This is the guy to watch out for!
A choice of cancer or polio

-Jagger\Richards 68
Old 01-03-2013, 10:19 PM

For inside the attic, or where you can't use a rifle, here is a simple idea I have used successfully. Get the largest rat traps you can get from the hardware store. The size farmers use in the barn. Before you set the spring you have to load it so the animal can't easily take the cheese, right? So, I don't use cheese. I use a glob of peanut butter which they can smell a mile away and is irresistible and oily. Here's the trick I use. I lather on the peanut butter and then I cut a little piece of saran, or other sticky rap, and I wrap it all the way around the peanut butter and the release switch it's on. Just leave a big enough hole in the front and back for them to lick and they will keep playing with it till it pops. That way the squirrel will have to jiggle the switch to get to the bait. After I set the peanut butter, which can be tricky, THEN I pull back the spring and leave it there all set. It's so enticing I have actually sat at the other end of the attic in silence and watched one get smacked, because the peanut butter is so enticing. Then, it gets put in a large plastic zip lock bag and thrown out. How about a picture of your success if this works for you? LOL

Last edited by Abesnake; 01-03-2013 at 10:24 PM..
Old 01-03-2013, 10:55 PM

Are you outside the city limits? Shooting them with a 22cal CB cap would make very little noise. Hunting season is open until the 27th and the bag limit is 4/day.

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/regulations/up...ary-12-13.html

http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/130...ead-round-nose

Last edited by Trapper; 01-03-2013 at 11:00 PM..
Old 01-03-2013, 10:58 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Can't shoot them in most localities, even with air guns. Traps are your only option. I wouldn't recommend poison if they are coming indoors and even outdoors you never know what is going to come along and eat the dead squirrel with poison in its system.

By biggest concern from squirrels: Bubonic Plague. That **** is not joke.

Which is why I would not recommend getting a couple of free kittens and keeping them outside to keep the squirrels away, they'll get fleas, and if there is any plague around well...

Here, a little light reading for the folks who don't believe that plague is a potential threat:

http://www.cdc.gov/plague/maps/index.html

Most recent I recall was a 7 year old girl in Colorado and some hippie-dippie guy feeding stray cats at his place in Oregon (from whence he got the plague).

Government Official Lies
. F r e e d o m . D i e s .
Old 01-03-2013, 11:07 PM
I need a LIFE!!

One thing too as I am around a lot of wildlife and live right up among them and oak trees, etc. Dog and cats. Squirrels seem to not like them, don't ever see them around my area. They are however around in good number, just they don't like the harassment around my area.

Another thing, there should be no reason squirrels can keep infiltrating the home. You have got to remedy that as a priority. Allowing rodents to walk into your dwelling space is always bad news.

The moment the idea is admitted into society, that property is not as sacred as the laws of God, and that there is not a force of law and public justice to protect it, anarchy and tyranny commence.' and that `Property is surely a right of mankind as real as liberty.'
- John Adams

http://www.usdebtclock.org/
Old 01-03-2013, 11:41 PM
CGSSA Associate
CGN Contributor

Too bad California doesn't recognize them as rodents. The house is not in city limits, however, it's still too populated to go shooting anything louder than a pellet gun. I know that plague is real! Just this summer, several visitors to Yosemite got ill, some died from a plague like disease.

I'm thinking I will trap them.. I've heard ideas from releasing them in the forest, to putting the cage right behind a car exhaust pipe like a gas chamber, to ending their life briskly and humanely with a 300 win mag.
Old 01-04-2013, 7:19 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

It's hard for them to swim once they are in the trap, just say'n.
Old 01-04-2013, 7:23 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Pellet Gun + Destroyer Pellets took care of the couple that were bothering my dog (inside city limits) in my back yard.

http://www.amazon.com/Crosman-Phanto.../dp/B000N2N8AO

Took a while of sitting and waiting, but they would eventually always come back to stick their heads in the bird feeder and they both went bye-bye...

No experience with them in the attic!
Old 01-04-2013, 8:16 AM

http://www.thetrapmaker.com/bfoxtrap.htm
works like a charm, bait with sunflower kernals or something like that.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckman1 View Post
It's hard for them to swim once they are in the trap, just say'n.
Yep.

WTB: Dan Wesson ECO .45; PM me
Old 01-04-2013, 11:16 PM

Make it fun and shoot the little ****s with your pellet gun.

Ernest Hemingway
Old 01-04-2013, 11:28 PM
CGSSA Associate
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
http://www.thetrapmaker.com/bfoxtrap.htm
works like a charm, bait with sunflower kernals or something like that.
This looks promising! I might order this this weekend, hopefully I can get these jerks!
Old 01-05-2013, 9:54 AM

Benjamin Marauder in .22 or .25. Super quiet. Don't know about the legalities of shooting them w an air rifle where you're at.
Old 01-05-2013, 4:48 PM

First thing to do is find the entrance on the roof. It is probably in the eaves. Next attach a trap or two to the hole using hardware cloth or some kind of mess with 1/4" holes. If you have a two door trap even better.
You will catch them if you know that hole the trap is on is the only hole. Remove animal and replace trap till squeaks are gone.
Once they are gone repair hole with lumber and adhesive then block the access to the eve with hardware cloth. If you have any questions pm me. If you are in San Diego I could get it done prett quick.
Yes you can trap on your own property. No need to abide by seasons or limits when the animals are doing damage. Do not relocate any animal it is illegal and if caught you will be cited.