Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 12-08-2012, 2:27 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Turner's Champion safe on sale

Turner's has a compact safe (60x20x18) on sale for $549. It's made by Champion and weighs in at #349 with a 5/16" thick door and elock. Champion checks out as making a good product. But this is obviously an entry level "closet" safe. But it would fit my needs (having bought too small a safe in the first place years ago!). Has anyone bought one of these in the past? And if so, what did you think? Thanks
Old 12-08-2012, 3:15 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Yes,
Any help out there. I am in the market for my first safe for 3 long guns and 5 pistols and don't want to get a safe I will grow out of but also don't need a 500 pounder as I will probably max out at 5 long and 8 pistols before I start rotating them. I had been looking a "cabinets" as I was mostly concerned about keeping curious hands from grandchildren off firearms but if this is as good a deal as turners states then maybe for a few hundred more this may be worth it...

Any advise would be appreciated
Old 12-08-2012, 10:44 PM
Calguns Addict

Guys, I would also look at the AMSEC TF 5924-it's a little bigger, weighs about 390lbs. and costs more @ $679 but you can find tons of information as well as good reviews on it. I looked at the Champion safe as well, but I couldn't find any information about it, let alone reviews. If the price point is too high then I would look at the AMSEC TF5517; it's 55x17x16 (I think), so it's smaller than the Champion but I like AMSEC's lifetime warranty program; it costs $499 on sale 'till the 27th @ Turner's. Also, checking out all 3 safes at the Turner's in Kearny Mesa, the AMSEC safes felt stronger and more robust as well.

Also keep in mind guys that if you have guns like AR's they effectively take double the space. So if you have a 12 gun safe, you'd probably only squeeze in 6 AR's, depending on their grip and sight/optic options, and even then you'd have to pull out the front-most rifles to get to the ones in the rear. Buy the biggest, strongest safe that you can afford guys...

Last edited by myk; 12-08-2012 at 10:47 PM..
Old 12-09-2012, 7:35 AM
Veteran Member

I've been looking at a lot of safes recently since I too was looking for a safe to fit into a closet. I looked at this Champion safe, the Stack-On safes that were on sale for BF, the Cannon Scout and Patriot safes (S-14 and P-14), the Amsec TF5924 and SF5924, and a Fort Knox Defender 6026.

The Champion safe looked cheap and crappy compared to the similarly sized Cannon safes. I was checking one out at Turners and I definitely was not happy with the quality of it. My advise is to go and look at a few safes in person first before just ordering it off of reviews you've read on it. What may work for some, may not be what you're looking for.

And FYI, I went with the Amsec SF5924... thought about the TF, but there were a few things better on the SF that I like better, and it was only $150 more. I originally was getting the Fort Knox, but it was too big by an inch and wouldn't fit in my closet. The Amsec was shorter by a couple of inches so it cleared my door perfectly (plus the American Security logo and bird's head logo that they use on the front are emblems and not paint, so they can easily come off in 2 seconds. I like having a cleaner & discreet looking safe now).

Last edited by SDM44; 12-09-2012 at 7:37 AM..
Old 12-09-2012, 3:06 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Hi ho. Hi ho. It's off to getting a safe I go....
Don't know which one but it'll be fun.
Hi ho-o-o, Hi ho Hi ho Hi ho
Old 12-09-2012, 5:56 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDM44 View Post
I've been looking at a lot of safes recently since I too was looking for a safe to fit into a closet. I looked at this Champion safe, the Stack-On safes that were on sale for BF, the Cannon Scout and Patriot safes (S-14 and P-14), the Amsec TF5924 and SF5924, and a Fort Knox Defender 6026.
I wanted the P14 also, it looked like a stronger safe than the AMSEC and the warranty is just slightly better, but it was smaller and I would've had to drive too far to get it. I cannot BELIEVE how fast you run out of room with just a pistol and two AR's...