Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 01-03-2013, 8:31 AM
Calguns Addict

Default I bought it. What did I buy? (serivice 1911 National Match goodness?)

I just bought this on Gunbroker. I know it is a gamble, but I think no matter what I did OK as I paid what I'd expect to pay for a pieced together NM 1911. It looks to me like it is a put together of National Match parts on a (poorly) checkered frame. The parts look to come from a variety of years (the barrel looks to be 1962/1963, the slide from 1963 on, and the Elliason sight is late 60s, right?). I'm hoping the RIA/SA rebuild marks are under there and just don't show in the pictures and it is indeed a Government rebuilt for Camp Perry. I asked for better shots of the frame and any markings before the close, but alas did not get them.

I emailed the guy again for better pictures and asking about the presence of SA/RIA/T/NM markings on the frame and for a better shot of the checkering . I'm going to make it a shooter as it is already pretty worn, and I'll get some better pics when it shows up. I'd be interested to have your thoughts on it as it seems to have a whole bunch of NM parts, which are themselves pretty rare, and I don't know if there is something that I'm missing. There usually is. Thanks.

Edited to add: The rear sight is a Kensight. That would only be correct for a 1968 RIA. I know I need to post better pics. Very interestingly, this 1968 RIA has the EXACT same ugly milled checkering pattern. I'm excited.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=323928302

Massive cleaning out the safes sale in Contra Costa, Rifles, Handguns, C&R, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWalkerM View Post
eh why bring logic into this, that makes too much sense... besides when you have bested a fool, you have accomplished nothing and he is a fool.

Last edited by scobun; 01-03-2013 at 9:06 AM..
Old 01-03-2013, 11:32 AM

couldnt be a rem-rand frame with that low a S/N......must be a colt... You didnt do bad.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:49 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerman View Post
couldnt be a rem-rand frame with that low a S/N......must be a colt... You didnt do bad.
The frame is an Ithaca. I'm hoping it is one of the bullseye guns built by SA or RIA. You can find out more on them here.

http://www.coolgunsite.com/images/19...0NM/1967NM.htm

Massive cleaning out the safes sale in Contra Costa, Rifles, Handguns, C&R, etc.

Quote:
eh why bring logic into this, that makes too much sense... besides when you have bested a fool, you have accomplished nothing and he is a fool.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:51 AM

I like it. I would definitely shoot that a lot.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:18 PM
Veteran Member

Yea it looks cool. Good price for a shooter and it may be more than that
Old 01-03-2013, 2:14 PM
The Clip guy
CGN Contributor

for sure it looks like it has a lot of military National Match parts such as the slide, barrel, and trigger. When you get the gun I'd verify that it has a NM marked barrel bushing as well. I think you did well for the price you paid -- the gun should be a good shooter.

unfortunately there are a few things missing I would expect to see on a government built National Match. For example, there should be a U.S. or ordinance marking on the left side of the Elliason site. Also I would expect to see "NM" "SA" and "T" markings on the right side trigger guard.

My guess (without seeing better pictures) is that this is a built-up gun from a private smith made out of national match parts.

It's still a neat gun though. I'd have no qualms about shooting it (especially with the hardened Colt NM slide) and you could tell the guys and gals at the range that you are shooting a gun that saw action in WW2 (at least the frame did )

nice pickup!
Old 01-03-2013, 2:18 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by beetle View Post
for sure it looks like it has a lot of military National Match parts such as the slide, barrel, and trigger. When you get the gun I'd verify that it has a NM marked barrel bushing as well. I think you did well for the price you paid -- the gun should be a good shooter.

unfortunately there are a few things missing I would expect to see on a government built National Match. For example, there should be a U.S. or ordinance marking on the left side of the Elliason site. Also I would expect to see "NM" "SA" and "T" markings on the right side trigger guard.

My guess (without seeing better pictures) is that this is a built-up gun from a private smith made out of national match parts.

It's still a neat gun though. I'd have no qualms about shooting it (especially with the hardened Colt NM slide) and you could tell the guys and gals at the range that you are shooting a gun that saw action in WW2 (at least the frame did )

nice pickup!
Thanks.

I'm really hoping the RIA/SA/NM/T markings are there, they just are light and don't show in the pictures. The sight is actually a Kensight I think. The two things that got me hopeful that I'll find the SA/RIA markings are the punch proof around the mag release and on the slide, and the milled checkering on the grip is an EXACT copy of the NM guns built by SA/RIA.

No matter what, expect better pictures when it gets here. Just don't expect Beetle quality pictures. Your post on the National Match 1911s is probably the best I've ever seen on Calguns.

Quote:

Last edited by scobun; 01-03-2013 at 2:21 PM..
Old 01-06-2013, 8:44 AM
Veteran Member

That is a nice old school Bullseye gun. I'd have paid that much if I had a way to get it into the state.

Randy
NRA Life Member