Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 12-09-2012, 8:08 AM
Banned

Thumbs up 90 Day Layaway

I recently purchased a rifle at Discount Gun Mart here in San Diego. I was surprised to discover that they have a 90-day layaway period since most places only have 30 days. I do however see the marketing strategy behind this policy now that my rifle has been on hold for a few weeks. Its reverse theory actually because although it gives you 90 days to pay the rifle off, there is an urge to just hurry up and pay off the gun. Ive already paid off half of a $1200 rifle and its only been maybe 2 weeks. Giving someone ninety days to pay off a gun brings in more business and it gives the buyer more breathing room to really take a dive and get that rifle or gun he or she might have passed up because of the expense. From a business point of view I dont see why other places dont do it. Its hurting them actually....OK say if someone changes their mind...they pay a re-stocking fee and get only a portion of their money back and the gun goes back on the shelf..big deal...the business just made profit on a gun that is still sitting there waiting to be sold. Whoever owns DGM understands that, which is why he has two thriving stores. Now if CA would only institute a 30 min background check as they do in a few states so you can pick up your gun the same day. I believe people in CA would pay double the DROS fee for that. Would you pay $50 for an instant check? I know I would...

Last edited by Atlantaboi2012; 12-09-2012 at 8:23 AM..
Old 12-09-2012, 9:59 AM

I bought a gun from them off of Gunbroker and used their 90 day layaway. I was waiting for my 30 days to finish to buy another gun I had on layaway because I was waiting for the 30 days on that. I really should just get a COE now that I think about it.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:10 AM

My local shop has 60 day layway. big fan purchased about 8 this year. If they would offer a 90 day layway that would even be better i might have to get a bigger safe.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:25 AM
Banned

I can't do layaway. I have 90 days and end up paying it off the next day!!
Old 12-09-2012, 3:31 PM

Bullseye Sport in Riverside has 90 day lay away... I've bought two guns from them with that program...Excellent people there. I have a shotgun on lay away at Duck Creek Armory... they have a 6 month lay away and theres another great guy called Union Outfitters that has a 1 year lay away... If you lay the gun away anytime after January 1st you have until December 15th to pay it off... Awesome guy... I've chatted with him via email a few times..

Proud Christian
Proud Father
Proud Libertarian
Proud NRA Member
Azusa Pacific Pride!! Go Cougars!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjfearl View Post
Copious amounts of hookers and blow will cure what ails you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. E View Post
I can't find anything funny to say about how Dicks suck...
Old 12-09-2012, 4:57 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisf View Post
I can't do layaway. I have 90 days and end up paying it off the next day!!
Yeah once the wallet's bled might as well go all the way. BTW if you're in good with the Turner's staff they'll let you lay it away indefinitely. An acquaintance had a gun there for 8 months before they started hounding him, lol...
Old 12-09-2012, 5:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firerescuebatt07 View Post
Bullseye Sport in Riverside has 90 day lay away... I've bought two guns from them with that program...Excellent people there. I have a shotgun on lay away at Duck Creek Armory... they have a 6 month lay away and theres another great guy called Union Outfitters that has a 1 year lay away... If you lay the gun away anytime after January 1st you have until December 15th to pay it off... Awesome guy... I've chatted with him via email a few times..
A year? Whoa... gun shops are becoming more and more like car dealerships
Old 12-09-2012, 7:04 PM
I need a LIFE!!

'extended layaway' has worked for me when i otherwise would not have been able to procure a firearm that i desired, without upset to my budget. i've gone that route several times.