Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 12-06-2012, 7:42 PM

Default Recommendations for SKS stock

I have a Russian SKS with a black synthetic stock. I want to get a different stock for it and am looking for recommendations. A search on CG didn't come up with too much, just interested in what other people have done.

Can I get feedback from anyone who has an ATI or TAPCO stock?

TYIA
Old 12-06-2012, 7:57 PM

Put it back in a wood stock :-D
Old 12-06-2012, 8:34 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Michael View Post
Put it back in a wood stock :-D
^^^^^^^^^^^^ This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

NRA MEMBER

Originally Posted by ar15barrels
Unscrew the lid. There is a foil seal there.
Pull the seal off and screw the lid back on.
Then you can squeeze the mustard and it will come out of the bottle..

Liberals are termites eating at the foundation of our constitution.
Michael Reagan
Old 12-06-2012, 9:31 PM

Thirds on that. I can't see any benefit from the synthetic stocks. The SKS feels odd with a pistol grip, and the standard plastic/polymer stocks don't have any real benefit over the wood. Restore that bad boy!
Old 12-06-2012, 10:41 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

(To the groaning of SKS collectors everywhere).... put the wood back on. If you don't have it find a replacement WOOD stock.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:22 PM

+1 to everyone above. OP, you won't get much love here for synthetic stocks. I made that mistake with my first SKS I bought. Of course I was around 18-20 years old at the time, so tacticool is what I was into. Had to search high and low for an original wood stock. Was MUCH happier with the SKS once it was back to stock config. To answer your question; I had folding stock similar to the ATI....it was functional, and looked pretty good, but in no way shape or form did it improve the ergonomics, feel, or function of the original wood stock.
Old 12-07-2012, 6:12 AM

I'm not saying that those cheap, ugly, non-ergonomic synthethic stocks suck butt or anything like that. True, some f@ggy-azz Walter Mitty morons really like that tacky-fool crap and get a raging woody pretending they are battling zombies, terrorists, and drug cartel hit men with their azzed up rifles that look like plastic sex toys that gay space aliens use as anal probes on each other. But if that's what dunks their donut, who am I to complain? I mean, hell, it's their rifle and if they want to look like a clueless retarded dick with that cheap and trashy junk on their rifle, well hey, it's a free country and more power to them!

A Russian SKS in a dildo stock....how sad. Of course, your best and most preferred option would be to find an original Russian stock (solid wood or laminate - Soviet laminate is so beautiful and waaay cool!), but these are pretty scarce these days.

So your next best option would be a proper fitting original stock from one of the other blade-bayonet SKS rifles. I understand that there is someone out there selling decent condition Romanian beech stock sets that would be a good choice because they are East European Warsaw Pact Communist and are of similar vintage as the Soviet SKS.

If you go over to the AK Files forum, Wolfsburg Bob has those reddish plastic Chinese blade bayonet SKS jungle stocks for a real good price. Yeah, they are plastic not wood, but they are real military issue SKS stocks, kind of rare, and pretty nice. You can put one of those on your SKS and won't have to worry about people confusing you with with a drooling moron or Rock Hudson's last boyfriend.

There used to be East German laminated stocks out there that were schweet, but it's been a long time since I've seen one for sale....maybe keeping an eye on Gunbroker and Egay might turn one up.

Last edited by Marcus von W.; 12-07-2012 at 8:28 AM..
Old 12-07-2012, 6:26 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus von W. View Post
I'm not saying that those cheap, ugly, non-ergonomic synthethic stocks suck butt or anything like that. True, some f@ggy-azz Walter Mitty morons really like that tacky-fool crap and get a raging woody pretending they are battling zombies, terrorists, and drug cartel hit men with their azzed up rifles that look like plastic sex toys that gay space aliens use as anal probes on each other. But if that's what dunks their donut, who am I to complain? I mean, hell, it's their rifle and if they want to look like a clueless retarded dick with that cheap and trashy junk on their rifle, well hey, it's a free country and more power to them!

A Russian SKS in a dildo stock....how sad. Of course, your best and most preferred option would be to find an original Russian stock (solid wood or laminate - Soviet laminate is so beautiful and waaay cool!), but these are pretty scarce these days.

So your next best option would be a proper fitting original stock from one of the other blade-bayonet SKS rifles. I understand that there is someone out there selling decent condition Romanian beech stock sets that would be a good choice because they are East European Warsaw Pact Communist and are of similar vintage as the Soviet SKS.

If you go over to the AK Files forum, Wolfsburger Bob has those reddish plastic Chinese blade bayonet SKS jungle stocks for a real good price. Yeah, they are plastic not wood, but they are real military issue SKS stocks, kind of rare, and pretty nice. You can put one of those on your SKS and won't have to worry about people confusing you with with a drooling moron or Rock Hudson's last boyfriend.

There used to be East German laminated stocks out there that were schweet, but it's been a long time since I've seen one for sale....maybe keeping an eye on Gunbroker and Egay might turn one up.

Laminated stock would be awesome, I'm sure they are few and far in between.

NRA MEMBER

Michael Reagan
Old 12-07-2012, 6:27 AM

Run an eBay search, there's always numerous sks stocks available to unbubbafy your rifle.
Old 12-07-2012, 6:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoBob View Post
Laminated stock would be awesome, I'm sure they are few and far in between.
I saw one on eBay a few days ago.

This guy always asks a premium for all his parts but it shows that they are out there!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200859442358?redirect=mobile

Last edited by C3nt3rMa55; 12-07-2012 at 6:33 AM..
Old 12-07-2012, 6:30 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by C3nt3rMa55 View Post
I saw one on eBay a few days ago.
very cool, will have to check ebay out.

NRA MEMBER

Michael Reagan
Old 12-07-2012, 6:38 AM

Romanian stocks here SKS stock with hardware does not include handguard
Old 12-07-2012, 7:47 AM

I have the original stock (I just don't know if I have all the other parts needed).

I will gather all the pieces I have and report back....
Old 12-07-2012, 8:25 AM

I know it is complete sacrilege but if you either don't have the wood stock and cannot get one.
Try the bull pup http://sgworks.com/

I like most people here would only do this to a chinese or yugo but it is your right to do what ever you want to your weapon.
Old 12-07-2012, 8:46 AM
Veteran Member

I have a Russian laminate stock I'm thinking of parting with.
Old 12-07-2012, 9:17 AM

What I have for the Russian stock is attached in the picture. I don't know what the metal piece in the middle (something for the bayonet) is and I'm not even sure the metal piece on the right end goes to the stock (it looks like a clip of some type). I need the screws to attach the metal piece for the sling and I also need a sling. I do not have a bayonet either.

Do I have everything I need? Will this be a relatively simple procedure?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo-1.jpg (96.8 KB, 50 views)
Old 12-07-2012, 10:02 AM
Veteran Member

You had the original laminate stock all along. Put it back and all in the world will be right again.

Your biggest problem is finding a russian blade bayonet plus the screw. Sling screws should be easy to locate.

Quote:
There used to be East German laminated stocks out there that were schweet,
The E German stock is fantastic and right up there is the Polish laminate stock

Old 12-07-2012, 10:03 AM

I really appreciate whenever Marcus Von W. drops in to provide his ounce of cheer to any thread. I was a little surprised to see this, though:

"I mean, hell, it's their rifle and if they want to look like a clueless retarded dick with that cheap and trashy junk on their rifle, well hey, it's a free country and more power to them!"

You must be getting soft in your old age, Marcus. I never thought I would see such a spirit of tolerance from you!
Old 12-07-2012, 10:55 AM

Wood is great, the best actually, but I've built a couple in synth. The ATI Drag is butt ugly and twice as heavy but has a good length of pull if you're taller than 5'6". I modified mine to look and handle better. Finger grooves on the pistol grip, channels between the fore arm vents, cut off the risers that hide the handgard, cut and blended the section at the reciever, beveled, then foam covered the cheek rest. The Para, since it is a commercial gimmick, I didn't mind putting in a Tapco non blade cut, but I used an ATI handgard to clean up the appearance, added Hogue rubber to the pistol grip. But of coarse I saved all the stock furniture and bayos. Then, until I find the proper wood, I've got a Franken-Sino and a Franken-Romy. They all shoot great and look good too. I just picked up a real nice Century Sinobanian, 90%+ blueingon on the matching numbers metal, stock is good but not sequencial. Merry Christmas all. PAX

"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined" (George Washington), but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them. echo1

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798
Old 12-07-2012, 3:15 PM

Did Marcus just compare a synthetic stock with a dildo?I mean if I had an army with dildos chasing me I would be terrified!
Old 12-07-2012, 3:15 PM

Did Marcus just compare a synthetic stock with a dildo?I mean if I had an army with dildos chasing me I would be terrified!
Old 12-07-2012, 3:21 PM

These guys have synthetic Chinese stocks and a couple of other items:

https://www.libertytreecollectors.co...?idCategory=33
Old 12-07-2012, 7:00 PM

I've dealt with Liberty Tree's owner C.L. Cogar before and highly recommend him, but stay away from these stocks. They are unfinished and need a lot of work. The one for the blade bayonet is lacking a lot of unique and unobtainable parts - the buttplate and crossbolt for these are unique and not the same as those on a regular SKS stock. Yeah, you could kind modify regular ones to almost fit and sort of work, but why? Wolfsburg Bob has them compete and ready to go for about the same price.
Old 12-07-2012, 8:47 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

Quote:

If you go over to the AK Files forum, Wolfsburg Bob has those reddish plastic Chinese blade bayonet SKS jungle stocks for a real good price. Yeah, they are plastic not wood, but they are real military issue SKS stocks, kind of rare, and pretty nice. You can put one of those on your SKS and won't have to worry about people confusing you with with a drooling moron or Rock Hudson's last boyfriend.

This vulgar and tasteless assault on the existence of aftermarket plastic SKS stocks

IS ABSOLUTELY TRUE
Old 12-11-2012, 12:49 AM

I used to Build AKM clones in WA state when I was a free citizen, and I can tell you that the Russian birch wood is THE MOST BEAUTIFUL of all of the countries that produced AKs/SKS's.

HANDS DOWN. Your lucky you have some, Id say put it on...I spent over 2 years looking for russian AKS74u handguards for a "1983" build, your in good shape!
Old 12-12-2012, 9:52 PM
Veteran Member

definitely put it back in wood. in my opinion the shellac'd or laqcuered hardwood is WAAAAAY prettier than laminate but opinions are opinions, kinda like those involving dildos....if i got a cheap romy or chinky with a hammered stock i'd consider one of the aftermarket ones but a russian? oh no sir, needs to be back in wood, with a bayonet, whether or not it matches, it only looks right. a good russian is accurate enough, you don't need any stupid sights or funky stock, but rather to get a feel for your rifle and once you do, you'll instinctively know how to shoot it, forever. SKS's are so sweet...