Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Gunsmithing & How To
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Gunsmithing & How To Pro, Amateur & WECSOG and Tutorials, Guides & OLL Build Instructions

Old 04-17-2014, 2:28 PM

Post AR Pistol build questions

Hello, I have been wanting to build an AR pistol for some time now. I have and 80% lower ready to mill but my questions are: Is it legal for me (19 years old) to mill and build a single shot AR pistol? Should I got get my HSC before I mill it? Once I build and shoot the pistol can I lawfully convert it into a semi-automatic pistol? Also do I have to register the pistol? I just want to do everything without breaking any CA or Federal laws. Thanks Calgun'ers, it's my first post so be gentle with me and I hope this is the right place to post this.
Old 04-17-2014, 3:32 PM
Toolmaker Extraordinaire
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by policeap94 View Post
Hello, I have been wanting to build an AR pistol for some time now. I have and 80% lower ready to mill but my questions are:
1: Is it legal for me (19 years old) to mill and build a single shot AR pistol?
2: Should I got get my HSC before I mill it?
3: Once I build and shoot the pistol can I lawfully convert it into a semi-automatic pistol?
4: Also do I have to register the pistol? I just want to do everything without breaking any CA or Federal laws. Thanks Calgun'ers, it's my first post so be gentle with me and I hope this is the right place to post this.
1: Yes, as it is only illegal for a pistol to be transferred to you. There is no transfer as you are building so you are legit.

2: If you know anything about firearms safety No. But if you think it will make you feel better or you plan to buy another firearm down the road sure get it. it won't hurt.

3: Yes you sure can as long as certain requirements are met. i.e. minimum over all length, 10.5" minimum barrel length, 6" Bullet button and 10 rounds or less capacity mag. Please read and follow the calguns AW pistol flow chart HERE

4: No, Registration is only required upon transfer.

Need prints for your build? Need reference materials for Gunsmithing projects, Click Here
I fear that even though as tough as life has been for me I have only begun to pay for my sins.
PSL BARRELS MACHINED TO ORDER PM FOR QUOTE
Don't forget to have your Liberals spayed or neutered !

Last edited by kcstott; 04-17-2014 at 3:37 PM..
Old 04-17-2014, 3:58 PM

Thank You. My main concern was making it semi-automatic but you answered it perfectly. What do you suggest carrying around to show Police Officers or Rangers that by firearm is not illegal, I will probably carry around the flow chart whenever I have the pistol. Than You again for responding.
Old 04-17-2014, 4:14 PM
Toolmaker Extraordinaire
CGN Contributor

I pack all my documentation but in reality you don't need anything. they have to prove it's illegal and if they want you bad enough no amount of documentation is going to keep you out of jail. They lock you up and let the court figure it out.

Now that is worst case, I've had BP, Game wardens, sherifs all drive by my camp sight guns laying everywhere they wave and keep on going. Because we don't look like dirt bags.

Pull up your pants tuck in your shirt, Put the white sunglasses away. put a curve in the brim of your hat and where it straight on your head and turn your music down so the car next to you can't hear what you like and you'll be fine.

Yeah that may be profiling but if you dress like a dirt bag expect to be treated like.
And I don't know you from anybody I'm speaking in generality. Just don't do stupid stuff, act responsible and don't attract attention to yourself.
In twenty plus years i've been pulled over once with weapons in the vehicle and it was by a game warden. check our license and he kept eyeballing my Mauser we BS'ed on the side of the road for a good hour.

Need prints for your build? Need reference materials for Gunsmithing projects, Click Here
I fear that even though as tough as life has been for me I have only begun to pay for my sins.
Old 04-17-2014, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcstott View Post
1: Yes, as it is only illegal for a pistol to be transferred to you. There is no transfer as you are building so you are legit.
Not true. He can have a pistol transferred to him by a parent. He just cannot purchase one.
Old 04-17-2014, 8:55 PM
Toolmaker Extraordinaire
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiz View Post
Not true. He can have a pistol transferred to him by a parent. He just cannot purchase one.
Yeah I wasn't sure on that one so i left it out.