Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Closed Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 10:08 AM

Default Pulled over in different county

I was pulled over by and Elk grove cop in Placer county while makng a commute on interstate. Just out of curiousity he able to do that? He was a motorcycle unit who look to be on his way home considering his dept. Was more than 25 miles away and in Sacramento county.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:08 AM
Veteran Member

Yes
Old 12-06-2012, 10:16 AM
Calguns Addict

Do they have the authority to issue citations/arrests, or do they have to wait for an "arresting officer" to do that? /always wondered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadbolt View Post
watching this state and country operate is like watching a water park burn down. doesn't make sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obama
Team 6 showed up in choppers, it was so cash. Lit his house with red dots like it had a rash. Navy SEALs dashed inside his house, left their heads spinning...then flew off in the night screaming "Duh, WINNING!"
Old 12-06-2012, 10:18 AM

Yes

CAL. PEN. CODE 830.1
(a)Any sheriff, undersheriff, or deputy sheriff, employed in that capacity, of a county, any chief of police of a city or chief, director, or chief executive officer of a consolidated municipal public safety agency that performs police functions, any police officer, employed in that capacity and appointed by the chief of police or chief, director, or chief executive of a public safety agency, of a city, any chief of police, or police officer of a district, including police officers of the San Diego Unified Port District Harbor Police, authorized by statute to maintain a police department, any marshal or deputy marshal of a superior court or county, any port warden or port police officer of the Harbor Department of the City of Los Angeles, or any inspector or investigator employed in that capacity in the office of a district attorney, is a peace officer. The authority of these peace officers extends to any place in the state, as follows:

Read the whole thing here if you want:
http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/cacode/PEN/3/2/3/4.5/s830.1

Got ORI?

Front Sight Diamond Member

Last edited by code33; 12-06-2012 at 10:20 AM..
Old 12-06-2012, 10:22 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

LEOs have the authority but in may not be a good use of their department's resources to engage violators outside their usual area. I have witnessed things like this a few times. I was glad to see them engage the violator . . . most were driving like complete idiots.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:53 AM
Calguns Addict

Yup, they have the authority, but it is usually discouraged by their department...because the funds go to the jurisdiction where the violation occurred
Old 12-06-2012, 11:30 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Curious what OP was pulled over for?
Old 12-06-2012, 12:59 PM
Calguns Addict

All roads, all codes......

It isn't a bad thing because of where the funds go. That's urban legend because it is an insignificant amount. It's a bad idea because of tactical considerations. Radio reception, lack of close back up, etc.

If You Heard The Shot, You Weren't The Target

Last edited by Ron-Solo; 12-06-2012 at 1:02 PM..
Old 12-06-2012, 1:28 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron-Solo View Post

It isn't a bad thing because of where the funds go. That's urban legend because it is an insignificant amount. It's a bad idea because of tactical considerations. Radio reception, lack of close back up, etc.
My understanding is it is not a funding issue other than the follow-up can be very expensive, particularly if it is far away. If the officer has to make trips to the remote location and/or attend trial there, the time away from his home turf as well as associated expenses is really more the issue for the department.

Personal officer safety issues are certainly a valid concern for the officer.
Old 12-06-2012, 1:32 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Some years ago we had a number of teenage kids in the neighborhood that drove pretty fast and recklessly. One of my neighbors was a LEO and sat each one down and had a man-to-man discussion with them about their driving.

After he explained that he has full powers throughout the state to cite such driving, it was never a problem again. It was kinda of strange the way he approached it but he treated them with respect and he gained their respect. Some how it never came across to them as a direct threat.
Old 12-06-2012, 4:36 PM

@ OP. what were you doing?

Last edited by retired; 12-07-2012 at 3:35 PM..
Old 12-06-2012, 5:36 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron-Solo View Post

You're likely correct, I figured my Sgt was just blowing smoke when he told me to stop doing it
Old 12-06-2012, 6:23 PM

Thanks for the input. I was pulled over for speeding on interstate 80. The officer cited me saying that i was doing 75 mph. His biggest screw up was telling me that he slowed down to to see if i would pass him. Now correct me if im wrong but if slow down or try to match speeds with a cop isnt that considerd "pacing." He also said that he in fact he had to do 75 mph to catch up to me.With that being the case how would he have ever gained any ground to pull me over? Not mention that i was driving a car that i guess is highly profiled in Northern California (buick regal.) It all sounds really strange to me when he stopped me that the first words out of his mouth was " What you didnt hear me!" mind you i didnt have chance to get a word out to even ask why i was pulled over. the other reason why i said he must have been heading home was He seemed to rush me and did not even wait for my insurance card as if he had somewhere important to be, which leads me to my next question. Why wouldn't he wait for the proof of insurance? cant i be cited a second time for that. It makes little sense.

Last edited by motonb; 12-06-2012 at 6:31 PM..
Old 12-06-2012, 7:52 PM

So what happens if if the OP decides to fight the ticket in court? Does the officer have to go to that county to go to court and wouldn't that be lost revenue? I paid for all my tickets so I don't know. Hehe.
Old 12-06-2012, 7:55 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedrek View Post
So what happens if if the OP decides to fight the ticket in court? Does the officer have to go to that county to go to court and wouldn't that be lost revenue? I paid for all my tickets so I don't know. Hehe.
Yes, if the OP pleads innocent, the officer will be expected to testify. I don't know if most departments would pay for his travel and time for a minor traffic ticket.
Old 12-06-2012, 7:57 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by motonb View Post
Thanks for the input. I was pulled over for speeding on interstate 80. The officer cited me saying that i was doing 75 mph. His biggest screw up was telling me that he slowed down to to see if i would pass him. Now correct me if im wrong but if slow down or try to match speeds with a cop isnt that considerd "pacing." He also said that he in fact he had to do 75 mph to catch up to me.With that being the case how would he have ever gained any ground to pull me over? Not mention that i was driving a car that i guess is highly profiled in Northern California (buick regal.) It all sounds really strange to me when he stopped me that the first words out of his mouth was " What you didnt hear me!" mind you i didnt have chance to get a word out to even ask why i was pulled over. the other reason why i said he must have been heading home was He seemed to rush me and did not even wait for my insurance card as if he had somewhere important to be, which leads me to my next question. Why wouldn't he wait for the proof of insurance? cant i be cited a second time for that. It makes little sense.
I am assuming that he had your speed before he slowed down. He chose to pull you over when your chose to pass him (assuming you passed him).
Old 12-06-2012, 9:46 PM
Veteran Member

I imagine it would be smart to always go to court if the officer was far from home. Less likely to show up? I definitely appreciate them having the ability to stop a danger no matter where they are, however.
I'd go to the grocery store with polymer, and I'd go to war with steel.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:37 PM
Janitors assistant
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I hate when people call me a Nazi. It's worse when the people I respect and try to protect on this forum do it. UC this is your only warning play nice or I will Play Hitler.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:26 AM
Banned

For ALL the people who think they know it all.... So then a LA POLICE officer up here in SACRAMENTO can pull me over and cite me for speeding? WRONG.... He has NO jurisdiction outside his city. He can stop me, but only an officer within the jurisdiction of the violation can cite me!

I live in EG and I see EGPD officers ALL DAY LONG pulling people over outside the city limits! I am just waiting for something to happen and the department will end up in court! Maybe then they will instruct their officers to stay in the city limits!
Old 12-11-2012, 11:37 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue-Mod View Post
For ALL the people who think they know it all.... So then a LA POLICE officer up here in SACRAMENTO can pull me over and cite me for speeding? WRONG.... He has NO jurisdiction outside his city. He can stop me, but only an officer within the jurisdiction of the violation can cite me!

I live in EG and I see EGPD officers ALL DAY LONG pulling people over outside the city limits! I am just waiting for something to happen and the department will end up in court! Maybe then they will instruct their officers to stay in the city limits!

ROFL
Old 12-11-2012, 11:38 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

Thank you for playing, but you are 100% wrong.

The tribe has spoken, time for you to leave the tribal council area immediately.

Old 12-11-2012, 12:02 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:

Another poster that must have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

I blame this type of behavior on our public education system. They no longer will tell someone that they are wrong because it is more important that they "feel good" about themselves. The end result is people that think they are educated and are very confident, but in reality, don't know s@#t.

Ignorance can be educated.
Crazy can be medicated.
But there is no cure for stupid.

Police Brutality? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRd5oucG114

NRA Benefactor Member

Last edited by TRICKSTER; 12-11-2012 at 12:06 PM..
Old 12-11-2012, 12:27 PM

Quote:

Speaking of people who think they know it all........

*cough* *cough*

First of all, you are wrong. Secondly, it would be highly unlikely you would see a uniformed LAPD officer in a black and white in Sacramento.

"If you expect logic associated with California law, it will only make your head hurt.." - Ron-Solo, 2013
Old 12-11-2012, 11:09 PM

Quote:

DON'T BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK! Otherwise you'll just keep embarrassing yourself.

My views:

-I hate being bipolar its awesome.

-Life member, NRA
-10mm. Because .45ACP just doesn't cut it anymore.
-Hold my beer. Watch this.
Old 12-12-2012, 2:30 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailerparkTrash View Post
DON'T BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK! Otherwise you'll just keep embarrassing yourself.
Old 12-12-2012, 6:23 AM

Rogue-Mod....seriously? The penal code, section 830.1, is very clear. See previous posts.
Old 12-12-2012, 7:03 AM
Veteran Member

LOL at Rogue....
Old 12-12-2012, 7:54 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

The last half this thread is full of so much WIN!

Stay Rouge man, stay tru to da game!
Old 12-12-2012, 10:23 AM
Veteran Member

I hate it when I get pulled over by the LAPD in sacramento
Old 12-12-2012, 10:27 AM
Banned

Default Go figure a medic knowitall!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacmedic View Post
Rogue-Mod....seriously? The penal code, section 830.1, is very clear. See previous posts.

REALLY MORON... You might want to check out 830.2. The following persons are peace officers whose authority extends to any place in the state:

STFU if you have no idea what you're babbling about! Just because you're a PEACE officer in CA, does NOT give you authority throughout the state for traffic enforcement!
Old 12-12-2012, 10:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armed24-7 View Post
Speaking of people who think they know it all........

*cough* *cough*

First of all, you are wrong. Secondly, it would be highly unlikely you would see a uniformed LAPD officer in a black and white in Sacramento.

PSSST.... Just saw one here yesterday! K-9 and was in uniform! Ohhhh and YES I AM CORRECT, not a knowitall!
Old 12-12-2012, 10:39 AM
Calguns Addict

Please don't feed the Troll.

Old 12-12-2012, 10:40 AM
Head Janitor

Quote:
REALLY MORON...
Not the brightest move...
DONATE TO NRA-ILA, CGSSA, AND CRPAF NOW!
Opinions posted in this account are my own and unless specifically stated as such are not the approved position of Calguns.net, CGSSA or CGF.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:48 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadbolt View Post
watching this state and country operate is like watching a water park burn down. doesn't make sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obama
Team 6 showed up in choppers, it was so cash. Lit his house with red dots like it had a rash. Navy SEALs dashed inside his house, left their heads spinning...then flew off in the night screaming "Duh, WINNING!"
Old 12-12-2012, 12:07 PM

Where do these "posters" keep coming from? I know I voted against prop 32 (taxes for education), but maybe I should be a little glad it won. nahhhh.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:28 PM

Wait, so if a Sheriff Deputy is assigned to a contract city, driving a city car, in a city uniform, he can't stop somebody out his city even though he's employed by the county? What about when the Deputy assigned to the city, in city uniform, is an FTO with a trainee in county uniform? I'm learning o much in this thread.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:39 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconis View Post
Where do these "posters" keep coming from? I know I voted against prop 32 (taxes for education), but maybe I should be a little glad it won. nahhhh.
The current education system is part of the problem. We don't want to hurt little Johnny's self esteem by telling him that his answer is wrong.
Education is no longer about knowledge, it is about building self esteem and confidence. The end result is a bunch of ignorant people that think they are always right and don't even realize that they are really clueless.

Ignorance can be educated.
Crazy can be medicated.
But there is no cure for stupid.

Police Brutality? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRd5oucG114

NRA Benefactor Member
Old 12-12-2012, 12:40 PM

Thanks Kestryll.
Old 12-12-2012, 1:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRICKSTER View Post
The current education system is part of the problem. We don't want to hurt little Johnny's self esteem by telling him that his answer is wrong.
Education is no longer about knowledge, it is about building self esteem and confidence. The end result is a bunch of ignorant people that think they are always right and don't even realize that they are really clueless.
Even with all that, you have the people who are so narcissistic that nothing else really matters except their reality. You know exactly who I am talking about. The ones that completely lose it when you do something like take them to jail, give them a ticket, or just plain don't let them have their way.

I just can't decide if it's the educational system not at work here or the narcissism thing.
Old 12-12-2012, 1:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invisible_Dave View Post
Wait, so if a Sheriff Deputy is assigned to a contract city, driving a city car, in a city uniform, he can't stop somebody out his city even though he's employed by the county? What about when the Deputy assigned to the city, in city uniform, is an FTO with a trainee in county uniform? I'm learning o much in this thread.
Nope, you are to stay in your car and do nothing, especially if you have a rook. If you do get out, people like the unmentioned above poster will cry and file a complaint like another unmentioned poster for reasons that only satisfy his own agenda. Nothing I said above is based in reality or common sense. Please pay it no mind.
Closed Thread