Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 12-08-2012, 8:34 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtisfong View Post
Again: They. Don't. Care.

They'll pick what they want out of the briefs to support the conclusion they already wanted to come to from the start.

Until SCOTUS says otherwise, the 9th can do whatever it wants to.
If we lose this then this is little more a kangaroo court where the facts don't matter, the law doesn't matter, logic is out the window and it really doesn't matter how inept or wrong the state's attorneys are or how unarguable their case is. What is most disturbing to me in that scenario is the elaborate sham that is acted out at great expense and effort, only to back in to a pre-destined conclusion.

I so sincerely hope I am wrong about all of that.

The Second Amendment is the one right that is so fundamental that the inability to exercise it, should the need arise, would render all other rights null and void. Dead people have no rights.
Magna est veritas et praevalebit
Old 12-08-2012, 9:12 AM
Calguns Addict

I think you should reserve judgement until you can read a decision.

It's entirely possible that we could lose outside of a kangaroo court. Our lawyers are good but I doubt any of them would claim to be perfect. If there is a problem with their case, we could lose. I hope that no mistakes have been made but I don't think anyone can declare that with certainty without waiting for the actual decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaklander
Dear Kevin,

You suck!!! Your are wrong!!! Stop it!!!
Proud CGF and CGN donor. SAF life member. Former CRPA member. Gpal beta tester (it didn't work). NRA member.
Old 12-08-2012, 9:19 AM

One attorney stated that my .380 with 2 mags is now a weapon of mass destruction. I am looking up to see it the drone is flying around.
Old 12-08-2012, 5:41 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funtimes View Post
We already have a law in place, and that is what the PI is for. We were well ready to argue the case. ...
I think RyanD was mistaken. I finally got to listen to all 3 audios, and, IIRC, the joke re your attorney shooting himself in the foot (near the end of his argument), was because the Con law re. a RKBA in public had not been established before he filed the PI. At least that is the way I took it.

IMHO, you either lose the PI now (quick decision), and get to go to trial, or they delay your decision until after they've decided Peruta and Richards. (Assuming the Fed Rules allow that.) Whether you get the PI then or not depends upon their holding/s there.

My *guess* is from what I heard (haven't read the briefs), is that Peruta and Richards will prevail over their sheriffs' policies. CA (and HI) gets "virtual Shall Issue."

Richards may even win against the state statute. (Ironically, a win against the policies may make it less likely to prove that a GC requirement per se is unCon, esp if they go w/"substantial burden" test after holding SD = GC.)

Baker wins PI if it can wait until after Richards & Peruta. If not, he gets his day in court and eventually wins after those are decided....

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post
Supporting CGF at the expense of supporting NRA is wildly stupid. . . .

Never, ever, ever choose not to be an NRA member.

-Gene
180+ examples of CCWs Saving Lives. Crime Avoidance & Self-Defense Advice
Old 12-08-2012, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
Baker wins PI if it can wait until after Richards & Peruta. If not, he gets his day in court and eventually wins after those are decided....
Yeah if they decide that the plain reading of Heller was not so "plain" and that it didn't constitute reversible error, then we go to district court and likely file a MSJ citing Richard / Peruta if it was so decided.

I was happy with the questions that we got from the panel, especially against our opposing counsel. It didn't 'sound' like they were buying that every place, as soon as you step outside the home, could be abolished through intermediate scrutiny.

2L Student. Nothing is legal advice, just simply my 2 cents worth of opinions.
Old 12-08-2012, 8:05 PM
No, I am not a Moderator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdberger View Post
You should come to Oral Arguments some time, Fabio. The rest of the Michel team managed to make it.
Heh.

-Gene

DONATE NOW
to support the rights of California gun owners. Follow @CalgunsFdn on Twitter.
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of any organization.
I read PMs. But, if you need a response, include an email address or email me directly!

"The problem with being a gun rights supporter is that the left hates guns and the right hates rights." -Anon
Old 12-08-2012, 8:46 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
My *guess* is from what I heard (haven't read the briefs), is that Peruta and Richards will prevail over their sheriffs' policies. CA (and HI) gets "virtual Shall Issue."

Richards may even win against the state statute. (Ironically, a win against the policies may make it less likely to prove that a GC requirement per se is unCon, esp if they go w/"substantial burden" test after holding SD = GC.)
1. Where have you heard this/who have you heard it from?

2. Where can we get a copy of the filings?
Old 12-09-2012, 12:48 AM

The joke regarding shooting ourselves in the foot was in regards to Rick (I am paraphrasing of course) admitting that we had planned to be heard after Richards and even filed a unopposed motion to stay our case pending the Richards decision which was denied. The shot yourself in the foot was essentially a well if you did not want to go on the same day as Alan Gura and Paul Clement you shot yourself in the foot by filing the PI not a statement regarding the merits of the appeal.

I'd like to thank everyone for their hospitality. I was not sure how warm of a reaction the random guys from the Hawaii case would receive. I spoke to a lot of people so please don't consider this a all encompassing list, I had very pleasant conversations with Gray Peterson, Erik Royce and while briefer as I did not want to hog his time Alan Gura. Mr. Gura's amicable and humble demeanor was a stark contrast to another attorney's behavior that day (not towards me so not my story to tell) I also caught up with the named plaintiff in Richards who I have not seen in person since college. While I have read negative comments posted regarding our arguments, many of them have been directed towards the City attorney as towards my partner which leads me to believe the posters are not familiar with the case and believe it is just a Hawaii clone of the California cases. It is not and we have a plan which will allow us to fully vindicate our client's rights without interfering with Mr. Gura's great work. Anyway, I had a great time both at my first 9th circuit appearance and at lunch. From were I stand believe we accomplished everything we needed to achieve our ultimate goal
Old 12-09-2012, 2:43 AM
Veteran Member

Default observation

Even though I arrived 20 minutes early, all the seats were gone so I had to watch the hearing on a video feed

However those chairs in the conference room were more comfortable than the benches in the court room.

The video feed not only showed the judges, but the attorneys as well in the lower left hand corner.

Most human communication is non verbal, you won't see it on an audio although you may detect things in how people speak.

Two of our lawyers, Clement and Gura were not only well spoken, but they had good body language to go with it.

Holcomb was out of his league and in all honesty he was humble. The big key was he came off as sincere. This is a biggie IMHO in that he wasn't trying to BS the court.

Now, the attorneys from the other side all looked very uncomfortable, like they were defending indefensible positions.

Where Clement and Gura came of as confident, the other side's attorney's came off as desperate.

The court actually asked questions about Sacramento county.

We have several vacated rulings from the 9th on second amendment cases, but what we do know is the following:

1. They have focused that they won't strike down laws that don't unduly burden the right of self defense. Our current carry laws don't burden the right of self defense, they eliminate it.

2. We may get a favorable ruling, however if that happens, I would expect another secret judge to push for an en-banc hearing even if no one appeals like what happened in Nordyke.

However, if that happens again, I think a certain Chief Justice may be pretty pissed.

What I thought was interesting is how Hawaii was grilled about how process servers don't have good cause for a gun permit. Hawaii's attorney was arguing about all the empirical evidence about why public carry of guns is bad.

Holcumb isn't like all of us who live and breath guns because many of us would have torn her to shreds in our 5 minute rebuttal.

Many of us know the lying points of the other side and some of us are really good at shredding them in easy to understand jugular sound bites.

Unfortunately most people don't develop those skills unless they are passionate about something.

Someone like Gene for instance would have torn the Hawaii attorneys statements to shreds so badly that she probably would have had an emotional breakdown and totally lose it in court.

Nicki

Last edited by nicki; 12-09-2012 at 4:28 AM.. Reason: edit
Old 12-09-2012, 3:42 AM

2. We may get a favorable ruling, however if that happens, I would expect another secret judge to push for an en-banc hearing even if no one appeals like what happened in Nordyke.

Worried about this too. Isn't it just 1 judge needed to call for a vote? Then you'd need what, over half the 9th circuit to vote to re-hear the case? I would also expect the other sides(state/county defendants) to try for en banc before appealing to SCOTUS.
Old 12-09-2012, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by press1280 View Post

Worried about this too. Isn't it just 1 judge needed to call for a vote? Then you'd need what, over half the 9th circuit to vote to re-hear the case? I would also expect the other sides(state/county defendants) to try for en banc before appealing to SCOTUS.
As annoying as this might be in the short term, it would actually significantly increase the cert worthiness of carry for SCOTUS. Recall that the Nordyke incorporation win helped make certain the cert grant for McDonald.

-Gene

DONATE NOW
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of any organization.
I read PMs. But, if you need a response, include an email address or email me directly!

"The problem with being a gun rights supporter is that the left hates guns and the right hates rights." -Anon
Old 12-09-2012, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Then you'd need what, over half the 9th circuit to vote to re-hear the case?
I don't see the problem. Over half the 9th hates guns. If the current panel dares to step out of line by issuing us a favorable ruling, the en banc hearing will put them in their place.
Quote:
I would also expect the other sides(state/county defendants) to try for en banc before appealing to SCOTUS.
Maybe, but I doubt they'd appeal a CA9 loss to SCOTUS. Isn't that sort of thing what got us Ezell?
Old 12-13-2012, 10:50 AM

28j supplemental authority filings were made in Richards and Peruta regarding Moore.

Richards http://www.hoffmang.com/firearms/ric...2012-12-13.pdf

Peruta http://www.hoffmang.com/firearms/ric...2012-12-11.pdf

-Gene

DONATE NOW

Old 12-13-2012, 12:04 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN ContributorCGN Contributor - Lifetime

How likely is it that Mehl v Blanas will be taken seriously enough to derail the progress in Richards and Peruta?
Old 12-13-2012, 12:51 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple K View Post
How likely is it that Mehl v Blanas will be taken seriously enough to derail the progress in Richards and Peruta?
Impossible to predict. O'Scannlain suggested that it would need to resolved internally and the Mehl panel seemed to wonder what controversy was really presented in the case, begging the question of if the Mehl #2A claim is mooted by Sacramento going "shall-issue" with respect to self-defense as good cause or should be remanded for a finding of fact on the equal protection claim.

-Brandon

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 12-13-2012, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple K View Post
In order for Mehl to derail Richards/Peruta, essentially two things need to happen: (1) the court issues an opinion affirming the lower court's various orders against Mehl; and (2) the court's opinion is based on the conclusion that there is no right to bear arms in public. Courts normally try to base their opinions on the least controversial grounds possible. In other words, if settled law provides an avenue for resolving an appeal, the court will usually base its decision upon settled law. In the civil rights context, skillful lawyers attempting to change the law craft the appeal to raise very limited issues - thereby forcing the court of appeal to address the unresolved issue(s). This is, in my opinion, one of Gura et al.'s greatest strengths.

I haven't spent a lot of time reviewing the Mehl case, but based upon the general FUBAR nature of what I have seen, there are likely a number of ways for the court to rule against Mehl without reaching the critical issue of the right to carry in public. For example, the Mehl case was not narrowly crafted, but instead implicated a number of issues.

If the Mehl panel issues an opinion affirming the lower court orders on a basis other than the meaning of the Second Amendment, then the Richards/Peruta panel will have free rein to consider whether there is a right to carry a loaded weapon in public. This is, in my opinion, the most likely outcome.
Old 12-13-2012, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kukuforguns View Post
If the Mehl panel issues an opinion affirming the lower court orders on a basis other than the meaning of the Second Amendment, then the Richards/Peruta panel will have free rein to consider whether there is a right to carry a loaded weapon in public. This is, in my opinion, the most likely outcome.
But BLEEP it sucks to have to hope...

-Gene

DONATE NOW

Old 12-13-2012, 7:17 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN ContributorCGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kukuforguns View Post
In order for Mehl to derail Richards/Peruta, essentially two things need to happen: (1) the court issues an opinion affirming the lower court's various orders against Mehl; and (2) the court's opinion is based on the conclusion that there is no right to bear arms in public. Courts normally try to base their opinions on the least controversial grounds possible. In other words, if settled law provides an avenue for resolving an appeal, the court will usually base its decision upon settled law. In the civil rights context, skillful lawyers attempting to change the law craft the appeal to raise very limited issues - thereby forcing the court of appeal to address the unresolved issue(s). This is, in my opinion, one of Gura et al.'s greatest strengths.

I haven't spent a lot of time reviewing the Mehl case, but based upon the general FUBAR nature of what I have seen, there are likely a number of ways for the court to rule against Mehl without reaching the critical issue of the right to carry in public. For example, the Mehl case was not narrowly crafted, but instead implicated a number of issues.

That's pretty close to what I suspected... But then I started doubting myself.

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
"Those who hammer their guns into plows, will plow for those who do not."
Thomas Jefferson.
"a system of licensing the right of
self-defense, which doesn’t recognize self-defense as “good cause”
Don Kilmer
Old 12-13-2012, 7:46 PM

Just by chance we get a favorable decision out of Richards/Pureta, would this effectivlily kill Charels Nichols case? I would love to see his case crash and burn... And then be charged with openly carrying a firearm in a city park (as he did in Veterans Park in Redondo Beach).
Old 12-13-2012, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbroom View Post
Just by chance we get a favorable decision out of Richards/Pureta, would this effectivlily kill Charels Nichols case? I would love to see his case crash and burn... And then be charged with openly carrying a firearm in a city park (as he did in Veterans Park in Redondo Beach).
His cases would die on alternate grounds since he could just get an LTC.

-Gene

DONATE NOW

Old 12-13-2012, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post
28j supplemental authority filings were made in Richards and Peruta regarding Moore.

Richards http://www.hoffmang.com/firearms/ric...2012-12-13.pdf

Peruta http://www.hoffmang.com/firearms/ric...2012-12-11.pdf

-Gene
Gene my thinking is that there should also be supplemental authority filings made in the Peterson case regarding Moore? The circumstances in Gray's case result in him not being able to bear arms in Denver so Moore should be relevant.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:12 PM

Alright,so I came across a bit tacky in my critique of the Hawaii case...my apologies, just giving a somewhat exaggerated and satirical opinion based on what I heard (but admittedly did not see).

That being said, It's my understanding that before a case can get to the 9th Circuit, it must first climb the proverbial judicial ladder, correct? What I took from the arguments is that plaintiff had been asking for a preliminary injunction from the start against implementing the policy. Said policy may be in affect now, but was not at the time of the original action, correct? If I am wrong, please do step in and correct me. Essentially arguments were all similar issues, but challenging 3 different aspects regarding those issues: 1 challenging implementation of policy (Hawaii), 1 challenging only the Sheriff's discretion (San Diego), and 1 challenging both sheriff's unbridled discretion as well as the state statute (Richards). Just making sure I understand the essence of each case.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."-Mark Twain
"Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely."-Lord Acton
Old 12-19-2012, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja Daze View Post
Gene my thinking is that there should also be supplemental authority filings made in the Peterson case regarding Moore? The circumstances in Gray's case result in him not being able to bear arms in Denver so Moore should be relevant.
There have been but I have not had a moment to post them. I will soon.

-Gene

DONATE NOW

Old 12-21-2012, 10:48 AM

Anyone know if a written transcript is available? thanks much
Old 12-21-2012, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_D View Post
Alright,so I came across a bit tacky in my critique of the Hawaii case...my apologies, just giving a somewhat exaggerated and satirical opinion based on what I heard (but admittedly did not see).

That being said, It's my understanding that before a case can get to the 9th Circuit, it must first climb the proverbial judicial ladder, correct? What I took from the arguments is that plaintiff had been asking for a preliminary injunction from the start against implementing the policy. Said policy may be in affect now, but was not at the time of the original action, correct? If I am wrong, please do step in and correct me. Essentially arguments were all similar issues, but challenging 3 different aspects regarding those issues: 1 challenging implementation of policy (Hawaii), 1 challenging only the Sheriff's discretion (San Diego), and 1 challenging both sheriff's unbridled discretion as well as the state statute (Richards). Just making sure I understand the essence of each case.
No brotha, Hawaii is da kine challenge on the ban on taser, batons, lack of procedural due process, then no shame to da CCW requirement. Then there is some other stuff. Its like you are on the North Short and were at 25 feet and then you are standing. You have to run to the wave or get smashed by the water. Tis' be island law; only way; no want to fight just ride. That the prior restraint and facial challenge as to the aforementioned.

Seriously, its a different fact pattern. However, a PI is essentially a request to restrain a policy or law during the proceedings. There is a different standard on appeal vs. a case like Richards. Moreover the law is much different. Hawaii does not issue. Cali does. I recapped all the pleadings. If you want read the stuff you'll see.

Last edited by wolfwood; 12-21-2012 at 11:34 AM..
Old 12-21-2012, 11:35 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt-man View Post
I've been thinking of getting one. I just have to decide which caliber(s) to get. I was thinking 357 Maximum would be fun.
It was posted in my appellate thread.
Old 12-21-2012, 1:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfwood View Post
Eh bra, mahalo for talking pidgin. Makes an old kamaaina like me feel all warm inside; we need that in a cold state like California.

Shaka, bra.
Old 12-21-2012, 2:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_D View Post

Some minor differences: Hawaii is a *never* issue, may issue state. At least not to individual who are not licensed guards. No permit, period, has ever been given to a regular civilian individual for anything.

Hawaii has an "exceptional case" vice a "good and substantial reason"

Hawaii has no policies, where Peruta has a policy (which they say is a bad pol icy).

Hawaii has no method of review (some states you go to a smaller state court for the Chief's decision to be looked at).

We also have this sticky situation in that guns are only allowed to be transported to six places - period. (gun show, range, police dept, place of formal training, place of repair). They can only be kept at your residence, business, or sojourn. What this means is that you can't stop in between those six places and the RBS, for any reason - at all.

2L Student. Nothing is legal advice, just simply my 2 cents worth of opinions.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:56 PM

FFS I wish they would hurry up and issue a favorable damn ruling already...
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."-Mark Twain
"Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely."-Lord Acton
Old 01-23-2013, 1:38 AM

any ETA on the ruling?

any updates?
Shall issue in 2 weeks?
Old 01-23-2013, 4:33 PM

A normal schedule would mean we wouldn't hear a ruling on this until at least around tax time. With the fact that there are some inter-panel issues, it may take a bit longer than usual.

-Gene

DONATE NOW

Old 05-24-2013, 12:01 AM

Any ETA on the ruling ?
What's the typical "season" for the ninth?
Old 05-24-2013, 12:44 AM
Veteran Member

Default The 9th will wait.

The 9th will wait to see if Illonis actually appeals the "Moore" decision to the SCOTUS and the clock is ticking.

I think Madigan asked for a 30 day extension, so that will be a factor because if the SCOTUS agrees to cert, the 9th will stall issuing their ruling.

If Illonis doesn't appeal at all or is denied cert, then the issue will be what will the SCOTUS do with the Woolard case out of Maryland.

Bottom line, I don't expect a ruling till July 2014.

Nicki
Old 05-24-2013, 4:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicki View Post
The 9th will wait to see if Illonis actually appeals the "Moore" decision to the SCOTUS and the clock is ticking.

I think Madigan asked for a 30 day extension, so that will be a factor because if the SCOTUS agrees to cert, the 9th will stall issuing their ruling.

If Illonis doesn't appeal at all or is denied cert, then the issue will be what will the SCOTUS do with the Woolard case out of Maryland.

Bottom line, I don't expect a ruling till July 2014.

Nicki
The folks in IL are saying there will be a carry bill, no ifs ands or buts, taking Moore off the table. Then Woollard is in the drivers seat but nothing will happen until the "Big Conference" of late September. I hope Peruta and the NJ cases are decided by then(and we have a true split).
Old 05-24-2013, 5:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_2111 View Post
^^^ This.

It was so hard to not stand up during the oppositions argument and shout out "So, my life is worth LESS if I'm outside of my home??!?!?".

I bit my lip pretty hard.
Question on this right here:

If you are implying that you were present at oral arguments in the gallery, why NOT stand up and shout out?

Lawyers pull **** like that ALL THE TIME wrt saying things they know that they can't get away with in a jury trial just to plant the seeds of doubt only to have them "stricken from the record". Hell they don't even wait until the jury is decided, they start right the hell away in jury selection!

So, why not stand up in the gallery and shout something like that? Worst that happens is the Deputy escorts you out of the courtroom? Or can you be fined for disturbing the court?

I'm not singling you out, I genuinely want to know, what will really happen if somebody yells from the gallery?
Old 05-24-2013, 8:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardlyworking View Post
I'm not singling you out, I genuinely want to know, what will really happen if somebody yells from the gallery?
You get a 1:1 meeting with the bailiff very, very quickly. And you are ejected.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:00 AM

Quote:

If you are implying that you were present at oral arguments in the gallery, why NOT stand up and shout out?

Lawyers pull **** like that ALL THE TIME wrt saying things they know that they can't get away with in a jury trial just to plant the seeds of doubt only to have them "stricken from the record". Hell they don't even wait until the jury is decided, they start right the hell away in jury selection!

So, why not stand up in the gallery and shout something like that? Worst that happens is the Deputy escorts you out of the courtroom? Or can you be fined for disturbing the court?

Nothing good. Really, it would not help. The oral arguments are not made to a jury. Oral arguments are made to three appellate justicies who have reviewed the written briefs. They are not going to be persuaded by some spectator shouting pithy comments. So, if shouting out will not advance your cause, why do it?

The spectator who held his tongue did the right thing.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:50 AM

Thanks for replies. I guess that's why Lawyers dropping little "stricken" bombs on juries works as a tactic because juries are by definition not professionals, and lack the skills to block out stuff they are supposed to "disregard".

An appellate judge is just going to bang the gavel and say "Bailiff - shut that fool up!"

Question answered
Old 05-24-2013, 5:58 PM

Quote:

I was there and IMO 2 of the judges were practically saying what you are saying a few times.

NO ISSUE / MAY ISSUE / SHALL ISSUE - LTC progress over time since 1986

Old 05-24-2013, 6:32 PM

Quote:
The folks in IL are saying there will be a carry bill, no ifs ands or buts, taking Moore off the table. Then Woollard is in the drivers seat but nothing will happen until the "Big Conference" of late September. I hope Peruta and the NJ cases are decided by then(and we have a true split).
Michael Madigan is in the driver's seat on the proposed carry bill and will shape it so the outcome favors his daughter's expected run for the Governorship. Self-defense rights and gun politics mean little if he can shape a future where he and his daughter have a 1-2 combo where both the executive branch and legislative branch are effectively controlled by one family.

See Madigan's maneuvering at: http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...,3277888.story

"Waiting periods are only a step. Registration is only a step. The prohibition of private firearms is the goal.
Janet Reno, former US Attorney General, 1993