Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 05-08-2013, 7:57 AM

Default The Science of Guns Proves Arming Untrained Citizens Is a Bad Idea

Quote:
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 31,672 people died by guns in 2010 (the most recent year for which U.S. figures are available), a staggering number that is orders of magnitude higher than that of comparable Western democracies. What can we do about it? National Rifle Association executive vice president Wayne LaPierre believes he knows: “The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun.” If LaPierre means professionally trained police and military who routinely practice shooting at ranges, this observation would at least be partially true. If he means armed private citizens with little to no training, he could not be more wrong.
http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...izens-bad-idea

I guess that "proves" it.
Old 05-08-2013, 8:10 AM
Calguns Addict

Default Shame

I used to pick up and peruse the Scientific American while waiting in my dental office.
Not after this.
Old 05-08-2013, 8:20 AM

Gee ... the "science" emanating from the politicized CDC and Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health says guns are bad and only "professionals" should have them. Who would have thunk it? Probably the study was funded by the Joyce Foundation - another big supporter of these "studies" - as long as they promise the correct outcome.

Last edited by ScottB; 05-08-2013 at 8:35 AM..
Old 05-08-2013, 8:34 AM

This article is a depressing turn for "libertarian" Michael Shermer.
"The fundamental point [against gun control] is this: Do you take away the liberties of all, do you assume the guilt of all, because some people cannot handle that freedom properly? Imagine if you did, how many other freedoms would have to be taken away." - Peter Hitchens.
Old 05-08-2013, 8:36 AM

SCIENTIFIC AMERICAN:

BIRDCAGE LINER:

Certainty of death... small chance of success... what are we waiting for? --Gimli, son of Gloin; on attacking the vast army of Mordor

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God!
I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!
--Patrick Henry; Virginia, 1775
Veteran Member

The good news is that the comment section is packed full of intelligent rebuttals to Shermer's shameful pack of logical fallacies. Too bad, I love skepticblog and I'm a fan of Shermer. What a terrible shame this is.
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Regardless of what really caused Olympic track star Oscar Pistorius to shoot his girlfriend, Reeva Steenkamp (whether he mistook her for an intruder or he snapped in a lover's quarrel), her death is only the latest such headline.

A shooting on another continent proves what? Stats written by people who see it as their cause to disarm the public should always be suspect.

NRA Endowment Life Member
CRPA 5 yr Member

"...which from their verbosity, their endless tautologies, their involutions of case within case, and parenthesis within parenthesis, and their multiplied efforts at certainty by saids and aforesaids, by ors and by ands, to make them more plain, do really render them more perplexed and incomprehensible, not only to common readers, but to lawyers themselves. " - Thomas Jefferson
Old 05-08-2013, 8:39 AM

Have to agree with parts- If you dont know how to use it and its dangerous, you shouldn't use it... Cars, machinery, firearms..
Old 05-08-2013, 8:42 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipser View Post
Real "scientific." Gross.
Old 05-08-2013, 8:45 AM
Calguns Addict

Huh, neither "scientific" nor "American."
FAIL.
“Political tags — such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth — are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” — Robert A. Heinlein

“It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds” — Samuel Adams

As an engineer I always wonder if the military folks feel the same way, about the usage of the word "tactical", as I feel when people use the word "scientific". It’s just wrong when people use it for marketing purposes or to bolster the legitimacy of their own opinions.
Veteran Member

Any article that starts off by conflating suicides with murders and accidents is fallacious.

Last edited by M. D. Van Norman; 05-08-2013 at 9:01 AM.. Reason: Grammar.
Old 05-08-2013, 8:52 AM
Veteran Member

Ok I will stand up here and say there is a certain amount of merit in the point that is being made... i.e. that putting a gun in the hand of someone who has no concept of gun safety, no idea of the legal rules or implication for storing, handling, transporting or using the gun, has zero time at the range and wonders "what are these funny little things on top of the gun that just snag on stuff?" (the sights) - and his sole and only exposure to "firearms training" is twenty years of watching people shoot each other on TV... is not in anyone's best interest.

Sure, I believe in an uninfringeable second amendment right to keep and bear arms. However, believing in the existence of that right, does not negate the belief that with the right comes the obligation to exercise it responsibly. Any responsible gun owner will take the time to educate themselves on proper use, marksmanship, and legal obligations surrounding firearms use. In my opinion you can't neglect these fundamental obligations and call yourself "responsible".

We would not endorse turning individuals loose on our streets behind the wheel of thousand-plus-pound projectiles with their only "training" having been a decade of watching car chases on TV. Putting a gun in the hand/pocket of someone who has only ever seen them on TV, slapping him on the back and saying "carry on, sport" is just as bad an idea IMHO.

The gun culture needs to step up (there has been progress, but more is needed) and encourage more public awareness for gun training and safety... in much the way that there is a culture now that frowns on driving drunk... whereas decades ago it was something that was accepted as a fact of life and even frequently laughed at.

This isn't to say that someone needs to attend weeks of training at a police academy, or train to competition levels like many sport shooting pros do. There is a difference between getting a college degree and completing grammar school. Getting enough training to become more of a help than a harm should be at the top of every new gun owner's agenda.
Old 05-08-2013, 8:54 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Another "correlation therefore causality" type of scientific "study."

It's one thing for regular folks not to understand the inherent fallacy of such yellow science, but it's outrageous for a (supposedly) scientific journal to publish it.
Old 05-08-2013, 8:57 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I'd like to know how many of those were gang on gang violence. My guess is 90% or so.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)
Old 05-08-2013, 8:58 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruss01 View Post
The gun culture needs to step up (there has been progress, but more is needed) and encourage more public awareness for gun training and safety...
Yes, but for completely different reasons.

The gun deaths citied in statistics are NOT due to the lack of training. If 60% are suicides (no training really needed) and most of the rest is gang and drug related, then the sheer number of gun deaths cannot be the *cause* for requiring training. Training should be, as you point out, encouraged, even required by the gun culture, but only because we want to prevent *accidents*, not because 20K people decided to kill themselves and another 10K criminals shot each other.
Old 05-08-2013, 9:00 AM

i don't have any studies or statistics to show this, but i can tell you i have a few friends who are LE, and myself and non LE friends see more range time and practice than my LE friends.. i don't think armed citizens are lacking in practice and training. experience in situations where a firearm would be needed i may agree LE has more.
Old 05-08-2013, 9:06 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruss01 View Post
The gun culture needs to step up … and encourage more public awareness for gun training and safety.…
It has. Why do you think that fatal firearms accidents are statistically almost non-existent?
Old 05-08-2013, 9:07 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. D. Van Norman View Post
Any article that starts off by conflating suicides with murders and accidents is fallacious.
Did they leave in criminals with guns 'in the home' that were shot (in or out of their home)? Thats a fav of biased reports.
Old 05-08-2013, 9:11 AM

Doesn't sound very scientific at all
Old 05-08-2013, 9:15 AM

Tell that to the blue truck ladies in LA...
Tell that to the nine bystanders in NY...
Tell that to...
Old 05-08-2013, 9:18 AM
Calguns Addict

Indeed.A great many police officers should be disarmed based on this treatise.

The 1911 may have been in wars for 100 years, but Masetro Bartolomeo Beretta was arming the world 400 years before John Browning was ever a wet dream.
Old 05-08-2013, 9:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IVC View Post
Another "correlation therefore causality" type of scientific "study."

It's one thing for regular folks not to understand the inherent fallacy of such yellow science, but it's outrageous for a (supposedly) scientific journal to publish it.
That's just it. Scientific American isn't a scientific journal, it's a pseudoscientific magazine. It has gone down the advocacy track for a number of years. Once you are involved in advocacy, I feel you can no longer be rightly considered scientific.
Old 05-08-2013, 9:53 AM
Calguns Addict

Where's the double blinded, placebo controlled study? Take "trained" NYPD vs. untrained Calgunners. Give each Versed to induce amnesia and see which group hits the targets most consistently.

Hint, I already know the outcome, but in the name of "science" we need to actually run the trial.

Ooops, almost forgot to mention blinding the researchers. There can be several options, my preferred option is actually blindfolding them and placing them next to the targets for the best observation postion. Alternatively you could give them Versed...or just not let them know who is NYPD and who is Calguns...
"The cases will publish forever the discouraging truth that the Supreme Court of the United States favors some laws over others, and is prepared to do whatever it takes to uphold and assist its favorites."
-Anton Scalia, Supreme Court Justice

Last edited by Wherryj; 05-08-2013 at 10:33 AM..
Old 05-08-2013, 10:00 AM

I think it's unwise to give car keys to untrained drivers. Dangerous.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:49 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobrafreak View Post
I think it's unwise to give car keys to untrained drivers. Dangerous.
If they just keep the keys in the pocket and don't deploy (drive the car), what's the damage?
Old 05-08-2013, 11:10 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
That number includes suicide by gunshot too, correct? How can anyone be intellectually honest and propose that suicide by gunshot ought to be addressed in the same manner as one person killing another with a gun? Lapierre's comments about "a good guy with a gun" may apply to stopping a bad guy with a gun intent on hurting others, it obviously doesn't apply, and wasn't meant to apply, to a person using the gun against themself.

The objection to "untrained" citizens supposes that training them will produce positive results, or at the least avoid negative results. How does that apply to suicides? The answer is, it has no application to suicide so why even discuss being "untrained" and using that 31K number.

The last 6 months have been very instructive with respect to separating our true friends and supporters from the fair weather hanger on types.

Last edited by dfletcher; 05-08-2013 at 11:16 AM..
Old 05-08-2013, 11:22 AM
I need a LIFE!!

seems to work in africa i think they are ignoring evidence
Old 05-08-2013, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpx0123 View Post
i don't have any studies or statistics to show this, but i can tell you i have a few friends who are LE, and myself and non LE friends see more range time and practice than my LE friends.. i don't think armed citizens are lacking in practice and training. experience in situations where a firearm would be needed i may agree LE has more.
This. I have worked closely with a lot of LE during the last ten years or so, and VERY few of them spend any time on the range except when they have to qualify three or four times a year. I have talked to several department range masters who state that many of the officers have to be given three or four chances and even then have to be coached in order to qualify because they can't shoot straight. I have talked to several officers who have told me "I don't like guns and I wouldn't carry one if I didn't have to", or something to that effect.

I sometimes shoot on a range that is used by border patrol and other fed agencies, from the amount damage to the walls, ceiling, and floors of that range I wonder if any of them ever hit their intended target.

If I had a choice between being saved by a civilian shooter or a LEO I would take the civilian every time.

the question here is not whether the carrying of arms is a good idea—the question is
whether carrying arms is constitutionally protected. Objective standards and due process—not
Defendants’ philosophy or personal beliefs about the value of this activity—must carry the day-Alan Gura
Old 05-08-2013, 11:52 AM

My favorite part of the article.

Quote:
but when I learned about these statistics, I got rid of the gun.
I mean talk about a guy who freaking guided his brain to make a decision based upon a preexisting conclusion he already had with statistics that really have no basis to make said conclusion. If I could only find a elegant way to describe what he is doing... hmmm oh whats this!?

Quote:
We form our beliefs for a variety of subjective, personal, emotional, and psychological reasons in the context of environments created by family, friends, colleagues, culture, and society at large; after forming our beliefs we then defend, justify, and rationalize them with a host of intellectual reasons, cogent arguments, and rational explanations. Beliefs come first, explanations for beliefs follow.
Oh wow, thats perfect! Thanks um, Dr. Michael Shermer (guy who wrote the article OP linked).
Old 05-08-2013, 12:13 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkincal View Post
SCIENTIFIC AMERICAN:

BIRDCAGE LINER:

jwkincal ftw
/thread
Old 05-08-2013, 12:47 PM

Using their logic, NOONE should have guns, since things like this apparently are what happen when "trained professionals" start throwing rounds downrange:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/nypd-g...073155961.html

Yeah, the whole "trained professionals" argument really holds water.
It was not a threat. It was an exaggerated response to an uncompromising stance. I was taught never to make a threat unless you are prepared to carry it out and I am not a fan of carrying anything. Even watching other people carrying things makes me uncomfortable. Mainly because of the possibility they may ask me to help.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:56 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I don't believe in science.

Old 05-08-2013, 1:10 PM
Veteran Member

Interestingly enough, these same people would keep former law enforcement and military veterans from carrying as if not being in law enforcement and the military means that you lose the training and experience you acquired while actively working in those positions.

It's a paradox to say that the logic they display is clearly illogical.
Speaking about the destruction of the United States. "I answer, if it ever reach us, it must spring up amongst us. It cannot come from abroad. If destruction be our lot, we ourselves must be its author and finisher. As a nation of free men, we must live through all times, or die by suicide. Abraham Lincoln Speech at Edwardsville, IL, September 11, 1858

Godwin's law
Old 05-08-2013, 1:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviioiive View Post
Have to agree with parts- If you dont know how to use it and its dangerous, you shouldn't use it... Cars, machinery, firearms..
Words?