Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 12-08-2012, 7:00 PM

Default Powder Measuring Question

So I finally have my cases cleaned, trimmed, primed and ready for powder and bullets thanks to your guys help!!

Now one more question yet again. I will be starting at the " start grains" of powder. Which is 51.00 grains. The only problem is... I don't have a powder scale. My options as of now are

1: A electronic scale that weighs to then tenth place in grams. The start amount of powder (51.00 grains) converts to 3.30474441 grams.

2: A triple beam balance scale that weighs in grams. (same weighing conversion info as above)

3: A 3.4cc Lee Dipper. This dipper converts to 46.30 grains of IMR4831 (which is the powder I'm using)

My question is what is the best option? Since this will be a minimum load I think option number 1 is my best bet since I get better accuracy than the triple beam since the triple beam has to be zeroed perfectly. I would also save a lot of time with the electronic scale. And the Lee dipper is 5 grains under so I would totally throw away that option.

I will be buying a digital scale soon that is much better but this is just what I had laying around the house.

Again, Thank you so much for the help already and the help to come!
Old 12-08-2012, 7:13 PM

http://www.amazon.com/American-Weigh...+digital+scale

Weighing powder correctly is the key to safety and consistency/accuracy. Really no point to doing it +/- 1.5grains which is huge. I don't like to be +/- .1 grain, much less that.

I guess if you're plinking? I still wouldn't.
Old 12-08-2012, 7:20 PM

What I'm saying is if I use my electronic scale it could measure me out 3.3 grams which is pretty close to 3.30474441 grams. And this is a minimum load already so 3.39 isn't going to hurt. I think it should be fine until my new scale comes in the mail.

Also does the scale you showed measure in grains? I couldn't see if it did or not? Do you use that scale?
Old 12-08-2012, 7:21 PM
Veteran Member

1/10 of a gram is not fine enough of a resolution for reloading. I would buy a reloading scale in grains, they are not expensive.
Old 12-08-2012, 7:23 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muchosmangos View Post
And this is a minimum load already so 3.39 isn't going to hurt.
It may not be dangerious, but it will not be accurate. Are you trying to build accurate ammo, or just make smoke and a boom? Making safe, reliable, accurate ammo requires attention to detail and precision. No shortcuts.
Old 12-08-2012, 7:26 PM

I am just making a few rounds like this. I totally understand how to make the ammo accurate. This is just till my scale comes in the mail. I just want to finish a few of these rounds.
Old 12-08-2012, 7:47 PM

Quote:
What I'm saying is if I use my electronic scale it could measure me out 3.3 grams which is pretty close to 3.30474441 grams. And this is a minimum load already so 3.39 isn't going to hurt. I think it should be fine until my new scale comes in the mail.

Also does the scale you showed measure in grains? I couldn't see if it did or not? Do you use that scale?
3.25-3.34 is going to register as 3.3

Yes, it measures in grains, you press the selection button until gn is displayed. It's accurate to .015 grains.
Old 12-08-2012, 7:59 PM

Ohh duh because it will round. Thanks. Should I use the one I have now to make some loads or not?

Thanks. Have you used this scale because it has no reviews and I'm wondering if its worth it.
Old 12-08-2012, 7:59 PM

Ohh duh because it will round. Thanks. Should I use the one I have now to make some loads or not?

Thanks. Have you used this scale because it has no reviews and I'm wondering if its worth it.
Old 12-08-2012, 8:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraRed View Post
http://www.amazon.com/American-Weigh...+digital+scale

Weighing powder correctly is the key to safety and consistency/accuracy. Really no point to doing it +/- 1.5grains which is huge. I don't like to be +/- .1 grain, much less that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-forceJunkie View Post
1/10 of a gram is not fine enough of a resolution for reloading. I would buy a reloading scale in grains.
Quote:

My question is what is the best option?
I'm going with Cobra Red and G force junkie. Just wait until you get the proper scale. Fiddling around with other conversions, Grams, C.C.'s can lead to problems. Yes, you can load with the Lee CC dippers. I did that when I was a teenager in the 1960's.

Do what you want, but you came to this forum and asked for opinions. Now you have three.
Old 12-08-2012, 8:14 PM

Quote:
Have you used this scale because it has no reviews and I'm wondering if its worth it.
Yes, i bought one.

It has 183 reviews. Many be reloaders, some by physicists explaining how accurate it is.

http://www.amazon.com/American-Weigh...DateDescending
Old 12-08-2012, 8:21 PM

Thanks guys!