Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 12-05-2012, 1:03 PM

Default DROS and Buyer - Eye condition requiring assistance filling out form

Quick question. My father is in the market for a shot gun. He was diagnosed with an optic nerve condition known as Leber's Hereditary Optic Neuropathy(LHON) about a year or so ago. His vision has improved quite a bit, it got bad for a minute, but he was always able to ride his bike and continue to work with clients. He's had some trouble with his pistol sights due to his LHON and would like to purchase a shotgun for home defense.

My question is this. When we go to the store to make a purchase, should I ask to speak with a manager, or notify them that he needs assistance filling out the 4473? The 4473 would be in his name, I would just have to fill out the form for him.

This sounds like it shouldn't be a problem, but I would like to hear if anyone has had any experience with a similar situation.

“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.” -Unknown

"Remember that it’s far easier to keep the dogs of war at bay, when they’re not barking in your own backyard." -Unknown
Old 12-05-2012, 1:39 PM

Bueller?

“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.” -Unknown

"Remember that it’s far easier to keep the dogs of war at bay, when they’re not barking in your own backyard." -Unknown
Old 12-05-2012, 2:09 PM
Vendor/Retailer

I would have zero problems with that. Some people might think you were helping him with a straw purchase. All you can do is ask and see what they say. If they say no, then go find another dealer.
Old 12-05-2012, 2:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenpercentfirearms View Post
I would have zero problems with that. Some people might think you were helping him with a straw purchase. All you can do is ask and see what they say. If they say no, then go find another dealer.
Thanks for the reply. That happens to be the reason I'm asking. It makes perfect sense to me, but a lot of places like to CTY/CYA.

I figure the best way to go about it, is to bring up the issue after we decided to purchase.

He's a bit of a tire kicker. Not sure why, but he's treating this like a new car. What kind of features does it have? How much does it weigh? How many different makes and models do you have? Yada yada yada. We spent about an hour at a store listening to a younger guy babble about nonsense.

"Oh dont get a pistol grip, in court it would look like you're a gun nut"
"The sound of racking the slide alone will scare the intruder"
"This one is $200 more than that one because it has a rail and some 'Slug Sights'"

He has a budget of $300-$400 (not including Tax and DROS). IMO that limits him to a few different models, all of which are pretty much the same.

Mossberg 500, R-870, Benelli Nova.

All three seem to have slightly different flavors but at the end of the day, they are pretty much the same. With the exception of the Nova, it's mostly made out of plastic.

Thanks again.

Old 12-05-2012, 2:25 PM

I prefer the 870 over the 500 or Nova personally. But he wants to nit pick.

Old 12-05-2012, 2:53 PM

Convince him to buy after the 1st of the year. Purchase one yourself, and put it under the Xmas tree.

(with a copy of the appropriate Family Transfer paperwork)

ET1 - U.S. Navy, Retired

Politicians take note...

"I do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies,
foreign and domestic..."

Last edited by wazdat; 12-06-2012 at 7:12 AM..
Old 12-05-2012, 4:15 PM
AKA: Joe Censored
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Is the dealer themselves not allowed to help fill out the form?
Old 12-05-2012, 9:10 PM
Veteran Member

My last PPT was to a guy with the same condition. He filled out the form as I pointed to each line and explained to him what the line said. No issues at all.

I did tell the dealer that was why he was buying a shotgun!

His vision got better as well....
Old 12-06-2012, 5:44 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazdat View Post
Convince him to buy after the 1st of the year. Purchase one yourself, and put it under the Xmas tree.

(with a copy of the appropriate Family Transfer paperwork)
This seems like a good option. Win win for you. Make dad happy and dont have to worry about the suspicion of a straw purchase.
Old 12-06-2012, 7:11 AM

I was mistaken. Paperwork would be required for family transfer of a handgun but not a long gun.

ET1 - U.S. Navy, Retired

Politicians take note...

"I do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies,
foreign and domestic..."
Old 12-06-2012, 8:48 AM
Calguns Addict

I suffer from low vision and my old FFL never had a problem with my wife filling out the DROS paperwork. Big5 on the other hand wouldn't let her do it and it was a very embarrassed i've been a long time and it was and will be the last time i ever buy anything but cheap shoes from their store.

It all depends on the FFL
You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.
Old 12-06-2012, 8:57 AM

HI Ya Bender, I would go to good local gun shop. around here it is Evan's Gunsmithing in Orange. Knowledgeable people.
Old 12-06-2012, 9:00 AM

Blind people have been known to buy guns, even hunt.

Unless a store wants to discriminate against a protected class, he should have no problems at all.
Old 12-07-2012, 6:26 AM

Default newbie, wants to buy gun, which one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnerRDLC View Post
Would you like to tell me the price about one gun. I am a novice, what kind of gun is suitable for me?
HI Ya Winner, get a .22LR either pistol, revolver or rifle as first gun. Ruger makes all three, buy anywhere guns are sold.

Now as to why you posted this on someone's thread I have no idea. Next time make your own would be my humble advice.

Keep your powder dry,
Max
Old 12-07-2012, 6:37 AM
Calguns Addict

There is a provision on the paperwork for someone else to fill out the 4473 and then have a witness sign.

I'll have to look when I get to work. It says how to do it on the 4473 itself. I've sold guns to blind people that way.
Old 12-07-2012, 1:56 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolishMike View Post
There is a provision on the paperwork for someone else to fill out the 4473 and then have a witness sign.

I'll have to look when I get to work. It says how to do it on the 4473 itself. I've sold guns to blind people that way.
I don't remember my wife having to sign anything extra or sign her name at all but i do know they had me sign everywhere i needed to and not her. Is there a way to get a blank copy of the 4473?
You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.
Old 12-07-2012, 1:58 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxit View Post
HI Ya Winner, get a .22LR either pistol, revolver or rifle as first gun. Ruger makes all three, buy anywhere guns are sold.

Now as to why you posted this on someone's thread I have no idea. Next time make your own would be my humble advice.

Keep your powder dry,
Max
After reading his two post i'm going to say that, that is a bot or a very strange cookie.
Old 12-07-2012, 1:58 PM
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by morfeeis View Post
I don't remember my wife having to sign anything extra or sign her name at all but i do know they had me sign everywhere i needed to and not her. Is there a way to get a blank copy of the 4473?
http://atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-4473-1.pdf

Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:22 PM

Thanks guys. Huge help. I'll just let them know he needs assistance, and see what there policy is. Or I'll just tell him to mention he needs assistance. They'll be the judge from there. Thanks again guys