Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-06-2012, 9:17 AM
liberty47's Avatar
liberty47 liberty47 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: REDACTED
Posts: 1,512
iTrader: 25 / 100%
Default Recommendations for 10/22 stock

I'm looking to get a stock for my blued synthetic 10/22. I'm know that ATI and Tapco make good ones. A search on CG leads me to a lot of pictures of 10/22's with nice stocks, however, I am unsure as to what the other options are (pretty sure, but not certain, I don't want a bullpup).

Any recommendations from my fellow Cal Gunners?


TYIA
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-06-2012, 10:00 AM
defcon defcon is offline
.22LR Riffle
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Thousand Oaks/SFV
Posts: 2,961
iTrader: 29 / 100%
Default

go big. a pair of my .22's here's my Barrett M82 10/22 and M200 Cheytac Marlin XT-22


let me know if you want to see vids. its hilarious
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-06-2012, 10:19 AM
POLICESTATE's Avatar
POLICESTATE POLICESTATE is offline
I need a LIFE!!
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Sunnyvale, PRK
Posts: 18,248
iTrader: 25 / 100%
Default

I just got my new Boyds Tacticool stock yesterday, couldn't wait to get it all put together. Much nicer to feel, fit, and cheek weld for the scope I use.

These pics stink, the lighting is bad but you get the idea:




http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/TACT-R...-p/600-410.htm

Lot of other stocks to look at there as well.
__________________
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face — forever.


Government Official Lies
. F r e e d o m . D i e s .
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-06-2012, 10:25 AM
hk91666's Avatar
hk91666 hk91666 is offline
Florida Cracker
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Dixon/Solano Ca.
Posts: 1,911
iTrader: 41 / 100%
Default

l like my boyds stock on my 10/22 works either left (me) or right handed

SS Evolution® Ruger® 10/22® Ambidextrous Thumbhole Stock

http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/Replac...10-22-s/40.htm


__________________
"Si Vis Pacem Parabellum"

NRA Life Member since 1978
NRA Endowment Member since 2016


Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-06-2012, 12:37 PM
SB1964's Avatar
SB1964 SB1964 is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: San Diego
Posts: 5,063
iTrader: 38 / 100%
Default

My SS 10/22 came with the Black Plastic, I bought a Hogue & like it. I`m just a Plinker, at this stage. If I get into it more, I like what Boyds has. To answer your question, it depends what you expect your Gun to do...
__________________
Yes I took the pic, no I didn't go swimming!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-06-2012, 12:50 PM
SDM44's Avatar
SDM44 SDM44 is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,451
iTrader: 34 / 100%
Default

I like the Hogue stock. I've always liked the soft rubber feel of Hogue products (grips, stocks, forends, etc).

The only thing I don't like about Hogue products are that they attract lint and dirt/dust like a magnet. Wipe a Hogue grip with a white cotton towel and you'll see what I mean.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-06-2012, 12:54 PM
Renaissance Redneck's Avatar
Renaissance Redneck Renaissance Redneck is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: San Joaquin Valley, CA
Posts: 638
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by POLICESTATE View Post
I just got my new Boyds Tacticool stock yesterday, couldn't wait to get it all put together. Much nicer to feel, fit, and cheek weld for the scope I use.
I love the look of that stock. Is it symmetrical on both sides; that is, is it set up for a southpaw like me, or just a right-hander?
__________________
.
.


"I believe in the Second Amendment. I believe in people's lawful right to bear arms. I will not take your shotgun away. I will not take your rifle away. I won't take your handgun away." - Barrack Hussein Obama, 2008 Presidential Campaign Speech

"It's a TRAP!" - Admiral Ackbar, Rebel Alliance
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-06-2012, 1:49 PM
POLICESTATE's Avatar
POLICESTATE POLICESTATE is offline
I need a LIFE!!
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Sunnyvale, PRK
Posts: 18,248
iTrader: 25 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renaissance Redneck View Post
I love the look of that stock. Is it symmetrical on both sides; that is, is it set up for a southpaw like me, or just a right-hander?
I believe it's perfectly symmetrical but I will check tonight when I'm home and let you know. It is of course a .920 barrel stock, but not a free float. The butt has a rubber recoil bad built-in somehow as well, not really needed for a .22 but it's nice to have anyway.

Credit goes to Sholling for suggesting it to me, I almost got the Hogue Overmold and I'm glad I didn't based on the reviews I was reading of floppiness and play, this stock is SOLID.
__________________
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face — forever.


Government Official Lies
. F r e e d o m . D i e s .
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-06-2012, 2:02 PM
hk91666's Avatar
hk91666 hk91666 is offline
Florida Cracker
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Dixon/Solano Ca.
Posts: 1,911
iTrader: 41 / 100%
Default

The ss evolution will handle lefties or righties and floats the barrel . I think it may handle a larger barrel as well.


Quote:
Originally Posted by POLICESTATE View Post
I believe it's perfectly symmetrical but I will check tonight when I'm home and let you know. It is of course a .920 barrel stock, but not a free float. The butt has a rubber recoil bad built-in somehow as well, not really needed for a .22 but it's nice to have anyway.

Credit goes to Sholling for suggesting it to me, I almost got the Hogue Overmold and I'm glad I didn't based on the reviews I was reading of floppiness and play, this stock is SOLID.
__________________
"Si Vis Pacem Parabellum"

NRA Life Member since 1978
NRA Endowment Member since 2016



Last edited by hk91666; 12-06-2012 at 2:08 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-06-2012, 2:14 PM
POLICESTATE's Avatar
POLICESTATE POLICESTATE is offline
I need a LIFE!!
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Sunnyvale, PRK
Posts: 18,248
iTrader: 25 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hk91666 View Post
The ss evolution will handle lefties or righties and floats the barrel . I think it may handle a larger barrel as well.
Yes it does.

Also those come in a variety of colors, I was tempted to get one of those myself. Maybe I will if I buy another Ruger

I would really like it if Ruger would just sell the receiver group with magazine for about $100. Their stock stock is too short, I don't want their barrel, just need to platform.
__________________
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face — forever.


Government Official Lies
. F r e e d o m . D i e s .
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-06-2012, 2:54 PM
hk91666's Avatar
hk91666 hk91666 is offline
Florida Cracker
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Dixon/Solano Ca.
Posts: 1,911
iTrader: 41 / 100%
Default

I paid $99 for one plus shipping and studs for the sling, and just for the hell of it a Boyds sling. i had the gun for 30years so it was time to give it a facelift. the Boyds stock is really nice with a bipod shoots great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by POLICESTATE View Post
Yes it does.

Also those come in a variety of colors, I was tempted to get one of those myself. Maybe I will if I buy another Ruger

I would really like it if Ruger would just sell the receiver group with magazine for about $100. Their stock stock is too short, I don't want their barrel, just need to platform.
__________________
"Si Vis Pacem Parabellum"

NRA Life Member since 1978
NRA Endowment Member since 2016


Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-06-2012, 5:46 PM
Wicked K5's Avatar
Wicked K5 Wicked K5 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Hollister, NorCal
Posts: 763
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hk91666 View Post
l like my boyds stock on my 10/22 works either left (me) or right handed

SS Evolution® Ruger® 10/22® Ambidextrous Thumbhole Stock

http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/Replac...10-22-s/40.htm


Is that the Forest Camo color? I'm torn between that and Pepper. Been wanting one of those for a while as I'm a righty and the Mrs. is a lefty.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-06-2012, 6:04 PM
hk91666's Avatar
hk91666 hk91666 is offline
Florida Cracker
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Dixon/Solano Ca.
Posts: 1,911
iTrader: 41 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked K5 View Post
Is that the Forest Camo color? I'm torn between that and Pepper. Been wanting one of those for a while as I'm a righty and the Mrs. is a lefty.
I believe is was called nutmeg brown /brown

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2
__________________
"Si Vis Pacem Parabellum"

NRA Life Member since 1978
NRA Endowment Member since 2016



Last edited by hk91666; 12-06-2012 at 6:21 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-06-2012, 6:37 PM
polo.45's Avatar
polo.45 polo.45 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: ukiah ca
Posts: 813
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Talking

image.jpg Here is mine. Just how it came in... I love it !!!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-06-2012, 7:03 PM
Chaos47's Avatar
Chaos47 Chaos47 is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Inland Empire
Posts: 6,553
iTrader: 18 / 100%
Default

The Boyds Tacticool is one of the best stocks out there for the money IMO.
I run one on my Marlin 795 and love it
__________________
The above is not legal advice. It is just something you read from some dude on the internet. It does not reflect the opinion of Calguns.net. If it seems rude it was probably meant to read sarcastically.

Marlin 795 MEGATHREAD Part Deuce
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 12-06-2012, 9:31 PM
reachoutar's Avatar
reachoutar reachoutar is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 490
iTrader: 15 / 100%
Default

I put the archangel kit on my 10/22 that my grandfather left me when he passed away. for a 100.00 kit its not bad
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20121206_211834.jpg (75.6 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg 20121206_211859.jpg (79.1 KB, 13 views)
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12-06-2012, 9:38 PM
Elwood_Blues's Avatar
Elwood_Blues Elwood_Blues is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,114
iTrader: 74 / 100%
Default

Boyd's has a very good selection and the prices seem really good too. I was looking for a thumbhole stock and what I really like is about $75 more for similar stocks from other manufacturers. I got my sights set on this one:



The beauty about 10/22 is that there are gazillion stocks to choose from among just as many other accessories for that gun
__________________
Buy from Amazon? Use this link to shop and earn money for CGF at the same time!

Weapons Case Hotwire Foam Cutting

Quote:
We can't help you ignore yourself. - CGN
Quote:
Destruction is the way of life, destruction, mayhem, havoc, strife. - Bobby Blitz
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 12-06-2012, 9:39 PM
POLICESTATE's Avatar
POLICESTATE POLICESTATE is offline
I need a LIFE!!
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Sunnyvale, PRK
Posts: 18,248
iTrader: 25 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renaissance Redneck View Post
I love the look of that stock. Is it symmetrical on both sides; that is, is it set up for a southpaw like me, or just a right-hander?
Yeah it's symmetrical. Feels weird in my left hand of course, but it works either way.

Reminds me, I need to start shooting left-handed more often!
__________________
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face — forever.


Government Official Lies
. F r e e d o m . D i e s .
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 12-06-2012, 11:20 PM
Wicked K5's Avatar
Wicked K5 Wicked K5 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Hollister, NorCal
Posts: 763
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hk91666 View Post
I believe is was called nutmeg brown /brown

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2
Ok. Yeah, they call the brown pattern Nutmeg. I thought yours is Forest Camo cuz it looks green in the pic


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 12-07-2012, 12:37 AM
89 Vision 89 Vision is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: West Covina
Posts: 1,274
iTrader: 98 / 100%
Default

I've got a Butler Creek folding stock on my 10/22 currently. It's comfortable and functional. When folded up it's very compact if that's one of your criteria. And you can still shoot it folded too, cool!
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 12-07-2012, 4:21 AM
hk91666's Avatar
hk91666 hk91666 is offline
Florida Cracker
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Dixon/Solano Ca.
Posts: 1,911
iTrader: 41 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked K5 View Post
Ok. Yeah, they call the brown pattern Nutmeg. I thought yours is Forest Camo cuz it looks green in the pic


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bad flash on my
Camera i guess
Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2
__________________
"Si Vis Pacem Parabellum"

NRA Life Member since 1978
NRA Endowment Member since 2016


Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 12-07-2012, 5:07 AM
the86d's Avatar
the86d the86d is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Pinko-occupied ObamaDerkaderkastan
Posts: 5,890
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

For pricey cosmetics, I'd get one of these:

http://www.1022fungun.com/store/pc/home.asp

I am probably going with a black pistol-gripped tacticool(est) stock in the next year.
__________________
"That's what governments are for - get in a man's way." - Captain Malcolm 'Mal' Reynolds
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 12-07-2012, 6:25 AM
hk91666's Avatar
hk91666 hk91666 is offline
Florida Cracker
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Dixon/Solano Ca.
Posts: 1,911
iTrader: 41 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elwood_Blues View Post
Boyd's has a very good selection and the prices seem really good too. I was looking for a thumbhole stock and what I really like is about $75 more for similar stocks from other manufacturers. I got my sights set on this one:



The beauty about 10/22 is that there are gazillion stocks to choose from among just as many other accessories for that gun
I liked those but never found left version

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2
__________________
"Si Vis Pacem Parabellum"

NRA Life Member since 1978
NRA Endowment Member since 2016


Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 12-08-2012, 1:46 PM
polo.45's Avatar
polo.45 polo.45 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: ukiah ca
Posts: 813
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by reachoutar View Post
I put the archangel kit on my 10/22 that my grandfather left me when he passed away. for a 100.00 kit its not bad
Looks good!
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 12-08-2012, 2:20 PM
Caribouriver Caribouriver is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 619
iTrader: 4 / 100%
Default

FWIW, I put an M1 carbine stock: http://www.eabco.com/m1_carbine_ruger_1022_tribute.htm on my 10/22 with GI style aperture sights. The longer sight radius of the sights and their adjustability are a real plus over the factory issue. I am more accurate with it and that's with old eyes! Plus it shoulders beautifully and it has fooled more than a few old timers at the range. And it only costs a fraction (4 cents vs 50 cents) as much so its an economical trainer
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 12-08-2012, 2:25 PM
polo.45's Avatar
polo.45 polo.45 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: ukiah ca
Posts: 813
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caribouriver View Post
FWIW, I put an M1 carbine stock: http://www.eabco.com/m1_carbine_ruger_1022_tribute.htm on my 10/22 with GI style aperture sights. The longer sight radius of the sights and their adjustability are a real plus over the factory issue. I am more accurate with it and that's with old eyes! Plus it shoulders beautifully and it has fooled more than a few old timers at the range. And it only costs a fraction (4 cents vs 50 cents) as much so its an economical trainer
Nice!!!
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 12-08-2012, 2:39 PM
reachoutar's Avatar
reachoutar reachoutar is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 490
iTrader: 15 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo.45 View Post
Looks good!
i think so. it made for a nice face lift
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 1:59 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2016, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.