Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Hunting and Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hunting and Fishing Rifle, Shotgun, Handgun, Archery, Blackpowder Saltwater and Fresh Water

Old 12-05-2012, 11:53 AM

Default Need advice on duck hunt waterproof jacket

I've been looking at recommendations on other websites and these seem to be the top picks. Anyone use any of these? Do you know of any better prices?

I'm mostly looking for a shell that is durable, waterproof, and has a decent warranty. From what I've read Columbia and Cabelas pretty much have a lifetime warranty.

Columbia Widgeon
http://txfowlers.com/Columbia_Wader_..._II_HM2027.asp $199.99
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Colum...h-All+Products $299.99 ($100 more for the same thing)

Rivers West Eider Jacket
http://txfowlers.com/RIVERS_WEST_EIDER_JACKET.asp $189.99
http://www.amazon.com/Rivers-West-Ei.../dp/B008D29X96 $250

Cabelas P.I.T. Jacket (not in stock in my size at cabelas)
http://www.cabelas.com/mens-waterfow...t-jacket.shtml

Cabelas Brushbuster
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabel...h-All+Products $199.99

Helly Hansen Impertech-This looks ok and has a good price point
http://txfowlers.com/70148_HELLY_HAN...AMO_JACKET.asp $70
http://www.cabelas.com/mens-hunting-...:referralID=NA

I've also seen some people swear by Drake products but enough ppl online have complained about them leaking that I will stay away.

Dont even mention any crap from Bass Pro, I was there yesterday.

Last edited by Spelunker; 12-05-2012 at 11:57 AM..
Old 12-05-2012, 11:58 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

All are good jackets in the same price range a couple have more insulation. I have an earlier model of the Columbia Jacket and it has held up well.
Old 12-05-2012, 1:01 PM

My Columbia is a few years old.I picked it up on a clearance from Turners for $125.The outer is a cross mesh type of ballistic nylon in shadow grass.It has a mesh lining.It came with a fleece and thinsulate zip out liner.The hood even works like a hood should.The thing is bad a**.I have used it in Montana and Idaho for even big game hunting.Totally wind and waterproof,is nice on a quad for 15 miles when there is ice around.It is not quiet,but you feel invicible when crashing through heavy brush.It looks like that Cabelas Brushbuster,when you enlarge the picture from the sight you posted.

Last edited by Coyotegunner; 12-05-2012 at 1:04 PM..
Old 12-05-2012, 3:21 PM

I have a cabela wader 4 in 1 jacket, held up great last week during that heavy storm duck hunting.
Old 12-05-2012, 7:46 PM

I have owned Columbia, Cabelas Guide Wear, and now I only buy Bass Pro 100mph. Amazing stuff!!!!
Old 12-05-2012, 8:49 PM
Veteran Member

Default ><

I've used the Colmumbia Widgeon for over 25 years. Columbia relaced it for free twice....No questions asked. the first the zipper went and the second the lining seperated on the bottom. They may have the same lifetime warranty on it today

The last was replaced 3 years ago
Old 12-05-2012, 9:39 PM

I've had bad luck with my Rivers West Eider jackets, I'm on the second one (first one leaked/ sent back & replaced) and I found out a few months ago that this new jacket leaks also. I sent it back for repair or replacement.

I did receive the second jacket back recently. They taped the seams with a clear, plastic type tape. I haven't got out in a good downpour to test it out.

These jackets do not have taped seams and the seams leak.

VERY disappointed with these jackets. I wouldn't recommend them until they change the design and tape the seams like every other waterproof jacket.
Old 12-05-2012, 9:42 PM

Look under german camo in sportsmanguide its gortex woodland camo for $30
Get a bomber jacket for $25 for insulation and your good togo
Old 12-06-2012, 5:58 AM

I think i have the bush buster its nice
Old 12-06-2012, 8:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLIGHT762 View Post
I've had bad luck with my Rivers West Eider jackets, I'm on the second one (first one leaked/ sent back & replaced) and I found out a few months ago that this new jacket leaks also. I sent it back for repair or replacement.

I did receive the second jacket back recently. They taped the seams with a clear, plastic type tape. I haven't got out in a good downpour to test it out.

These jackets do not have taped seams and the seams leak.

VERY disappointed with these jackets. I wouldn't recommend them until they change the design and tape the seams like every other waterproof jacket.
Thanks alot for the heads up. I was leaning 50/50 on the eider/widgeon and after talking to the stoned guy at Rivers West customer service( he verified what you said about the tape) I decided no way in hell on the eider. If all they're gonna do is throw some tape on it then it doesnt bode well for the customer.
On the other hand everything from Columbia is that they fix it right or send you a new one and mostly people just get sent a new one.

By the way today is the first day its legal to smoke weed in Washington and I think this guy was partaking of his new found freedom.
Old 12-07-2012, 5:49 AM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

I've had two columbia's in the past 16 years (both widgeons) and they worked fine. Eventually the "waterproofness" seems to wear out so I bought a 2nd one not knowing about the columbia return policy. I'm going to return the old one and some columbia raingear that I have which sucks.

You have it right with the laying aspect of a duck jacket. Unless it's really cold or going to rain I leave my rain shell at home or in the truck and I'll wear the base jacket or something else. The columbias are more expensive again b/c of that reflective heat lining. I have no idea if it works but my wife got a vest with it last year and really says it's warm but she doesn't hunt and doesn't know **** about what a good jacket is lol.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:08 AM

I have a redhead canvasback model from bass pro. I love it it has a removable liner that I only put in a few times. Tons of pockets, waterproof and very comfortable and moves with you. Only issue I've had is a small tear in one of the pockets but It doesn't bother me to much. It even has a little trama pad in the shoulder area to help with the recoil.
Old 12-07-2012, 1:38 PM
Veteran Member

Columbia makes great stuff. My last two jackets were columbia parkas

I'm using this now and really enjoying it.
Old 12-08-2012, 1:15 PM

A little surprised nobody has mentioned Frogg Toggs. It's a very inexpensive, reliable waterproof shell and when it's pi$$ing down rain it's pretty hard to beat Frogg Toggs.
Old 12-08-2012, 6:53 PM

Default Frogg Toggs!

I recently had the opportunity to test the frogg toggs tekk toad in Max 4 during the absolute worst of down pours here where I live, 6" of rain in 4 hrs, wading through flowing flood water 3.5' deep that was dry the previous day. That thing kept me dry and concealed. $46 shipped to my door off of an Ebay store. I recommend them. But they are also just a shell. If you are looking for a set or 3 in 1 (parka/liner)etc, My Storm Hide from Western that closed down has been good for 1.5 seasons. Storm Hide is still available I believe. If you have friends that duck hunt ask them too! Just my .02! What is also important is shouldering your shotgun in the jacket too, but almost impossible to stroll into a store with it and try that It doesn't matter if you're warm and toasty if you can't shoulder the shotgun without getting hung up in your fancy jacket!