Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 12-05-2012, 9:49 AM

Default help with blown primers, 40sw

Hi everyone,
I started reloading for my custom 40sw build and am having an issue. Not new to reloading, but first time with this caliber. I understand that it is already a high pressure round, so i started with a mild load of 4.5 gr Universal clays under a 180gr lead fp. OAL was 1.175. I noticed that on a good number of the cases it looked like i had blown primers. This also happened with some of the factory loads i fired though. It almost looks like the firing pin is penetrating too far? Heres a pic of two blown and one that looks too deep. Any ideas?

Old 12-05-2012, 10:05 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatFishGuy View Post
Hi everyone,
I started reloading for my custom 40sw build and am having an issue. Not new to reloading, but first time with this caliber. I understand that it is already a high pressure round, so i started with a mild load of 4.5 gr Universal clays under a 180gr lead fp. OAL was 1.175. I noticed that on a good number of the cases it looked like i had blown primers. This also happened with some of the factory loads i fired though. It almost looks like the firing pin is penetrating too far? Heres a pic of two blown and one that looks too deep. Any ideas?
That sounds like a problem with the weapon to me.

...and I get banned from OT for doing MUCH LESS than what they did?!?!?! Nice job "Mods"...
Old 12-05-2012, 10:21 AM

It does look like the firing pin is penetrating too far. Add hot loads and the problem just compounds which doesn't apply to your case.

Last edited by nothing4u; 12-05-2012 at 10:27 AM..
Old 12-05-2012, 10:45 AM

Since it also occured with factory loads i was kind of assuming it was firing pin related. Should i just shorten the pin? Its a 1911 style gun.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:57 AM

The firing pin measures 2.286". Spec for series 70 is 2.290-2.296". I think it's a series 80 pin but is already shorter than spec?? Seems odd that further trimming would be necessary.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:10 AM
Veteran Member

Dumb question, but are you sure it's Universal and not just Clays.
If you're loading 4.5gr of Clays that would be the problem.

It wouldn't be the first time I saw someone mix those two accidentally so I thought I'd ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanbob View Post
Get a DILLON...
Old 12-05-2012, 11:43 AM

Measure actual protrusion and work from there.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:55 AM

Your load and OAL seem to be good. The only primer still intact is the middle one and that looks like an awfully deep hole and the primers don't look flattened around the edges. Since this is a home made conversion, even though the firing pin is within specs, are you sure it doesn't stick out too far in the firing position?

You manually racked several rounds and remeasured OAL to ensure the ramp isn't setting the bullets back right?

It really looks like an instance of "pierced primers" rather than "blown primers".

Last edited by rsrocket1; 12-05-2012 at 11:58 AM..
Old 12-05-2012, 12:25 PM

I don't even own any Clays, just universal so I'm good there lol.

Is there a spec i should be looking for
or the actual protrusion of the fp?

Bullets are definitely not getting set back. Remeasured dummy round that have been racked dozens of times. "pierced" is definitely a more accurate description of what this looks like
Old 12-05-2012, 12:43 PM

out of curiosity, I compared fp protrusion on this gun to my SA Loaded. The fp on my springfield protrudes much farther than the .40 being discussed. I didnt measure but its a significant difference. As I was testing this i noticed what may have been the problem though. The fp on the springfield seems to give significantly greater resistance when being pushed in. I checked against the .40 build and its fp gave easily half as much spring resistance. I found that extremely odd since I had installed a Wilson extra power fp spring on the .40 gun. Luckily i had a few Wolff extra power springs on hand and threw one in. Sure enough the spring resistance on the fp now feels about the same as that on my .45. Bunk fp spring from wilson??? Also possibly compounded by the fact that im running a .#23 mainspring. I guess i'll know after some more test firing, unless theres some other possibilities I should look into? Thanks everyone for their much appreciated input!
Old 12-05-2012, 7:56 PM

Are you using Wincheseter primers, by chance?? I seem to remember something a while back about people having issues with softer(thinner??)metal in the cups.
I'm running extra power firing pin springs in my .45 1911's using CCI primers, big divots, none blown like yours.
Old 12-05-2012, 8:28 PM

IMO. Since you mentioned that it does it also into factory ammo, I think it is your firing pin spring. If I were you, I replace it with extra power firing pin spring first and then work on the main spring and see if you need a little softer and reliable spring.
Old 12-05-2012, 9:08 PM

My reloads were using Win primers and I had heard something to that effect, but this also occurred with two brands of factory ammo. Though i dont know what primers they use. I do plan to move to cci primers though to eliminate this from the equation.

mike- I did replace the spring, but i'll have to wait until I can get to the range to see if that fixes the problem. I think the mainspring is fine, since I know people have used #24 mainsprings without piercing the primers. I have a feeling though that the slightly stronger mainspring for was too much for the under-rated fp spring. (which was supposed to be extra power)
Old 12-05-2012, 10:23 PM
Calguns Addict

Get CCI primers.

Check your FP spring, is it old?

Are you using a 38 super FP? I know SA interchanges the FPs on some of the guns.

The fate of the wounded rest in the hands of the ones who apply the first dressing.
Old 12-06-2012, 4:33 AM

Nightquill- did change the fp spring but didn't get a chance to test yet. The SA him i have works fine, i just referenced it for comparison to the gun having isues.
Old 12-06-2012, 8:38 AM

I'm using Win SP primers and have not seen any problems you have on my Sig P229 and SP2022 both .40S&W. I've loaded hot but w/Power Pistol. I believe your gun may be the culprit than the Win primers. Also, emailing you a Primer doc.
Old 12-06-2012, 6:52 PM

Thanks, I'll give it a read!