Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 12-05-2012, 9:07 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Eye dominance differ from shooting side?

Not sure if this is the best section to ask but: I'm left eye dominant. I shoot my Glock 21 decently right handed (I write left handed). I basically do everything except writing right handed. I *just* picked up (last night) my first shotgun AND an M4 carbine. Shouldering both, I realized that it was kind of odd to look through the sights with my left eye while lining up for right-handed shooting. Any advice? Switch to shoot leftie, or should I be lining up a sight picture differently? I have not yet fired either, just want to get this established before training in a bad habit.
Old 12-05-2012, 9:09 AM
Banned

Yes: I hurt my right eye as a kid, so I have to pay close attention to which eye is doing the seeing. I shoot rifles using my right eye (quite a trick: eye lash push ups...), but I shoot pistols and arrows using my left eye, no matter which hand I hold the pistol or bow in. If I pay attention, I'm OK. But sometimes with arrows I find my groups nicely tight but three inches to the left. Then I know I wasn't paying attention to the correct eye.

CDFingers
Old 12-05-2012, 9:15 AM

I have the exact same problem, to the T. I shoot pistols right handed and rifles left, depending on the optics. Trying to retrain eye dominance is really difficult. I just can't get my right eye to focus on the front sight on irons.
Old 12-05-2012, 9:43 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Is it stupid to close my left eye? Not sure if it's better to use both or just the "working" one when using long guns. With the pistol I'm getting pretty good at keeping both open and knowing when the front sight comes into the picture.
Old 12-05-2012, 1:19 PM

I'm left handed. I shoot handguns left handed but long guns right handed. It's just comfortable to me in that manner.
Old 12-05-2012, 2:42 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billofrights View Post
Not sure if this is the best section to ask but: I'm left eye dominant. I shoot my Glock 21 decently right handed (I write left handed). I basically do everything except writing right handed. I *just* picked up (last night) my first shotgun AND an M4 carbine. Shouldering both, I realized that it was kind of odd to look through the sights with my left eye while lining up for right-handed shooting. Any advice? Switch to shoot leftie, or should I be lining up a sight picture differently? I have not yet fired either, just want to get this established before training in a bad habit.
It takes some training but sighting with both eyes gets you past this problem and also enhances depth perception and peripheral vision, both of which can increase your odds of survival when you're in danger.
Old 12-05-2012, 2:47 PM

My wife is left eye and right hand... We built here a left hand 10/22 and she shoots it very well! Shoot however you are most comfortable.
Old 12-05-2012, 4:33 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slatroni View Post
My wife is left eye and right hand... We built here a left hand 10/22 and she shoots it very well! Shoot however you are most comfortable.
same here. could never understand why she couldnt hot the side of a barn...then I realized she was looking over the rifle to use her left eye.

swapped her to lefty shooting and all is good now.
Old 12-05-2012, 6:06 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruising7388 View Post
It takes some training but sighting with both eyes gets you past this problem and also enhances depth perception and peripheral vision, both of which can increase your odds of survival when you're in danger.
Shooting with both eyes? Or both eyes open?

I'm right handed, left eye. But I didn't know that as a kid. I've been shooting with my right eye and right handed all my life.

It works fine until I'm tracking a moving target or moving myself. Then it takes a ton of concentration.

I'm actually going to try to switch to my left eye for pistols. Maybe shotguns too if I can figure out how to do that.

My weak eye doesn't seem to matter with a scope, dot, or ghost ring.

"I've heard this is a good read. I'm mean, I haven't read it myself but many very smart people said it's a good read. Believe me, many people are saying it....."
Old 12-05-2012, 6:40 PM
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steph View Post
I have the exact same problem, to the T. I shoot pistols right handed and rifles left, depending on the optics. Trying to retrain eye dominance is really difficult. I just can't get my right eye to focus on the front sight on irons.

Yep, this is me almost exactly. My problem is that my right eye is almost completely worthless - I can see out of it, but not all that well. I'd probably be legally blind if my left was just as bad.

No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/signaturepics/sigpic68220_5.gif
Old 12-05-2012, 7:40 PM
Veteran Member

Default ><

Left eye dominate ....shoot left . Prepare to get get worse shooting results at first. At the point when your brain adjusts to the new side, your shooting will feel more natural and you will progress faster than tring to use your weak eye
Old 12-06-2012, 8:03 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealnickb View Post
Shooting with both eyes? Or both eyes open?

I'm right handed, left eye. But I didn't know that as a kid. I've been shooting with my right eye and right handed all my life.

It works fine until I'm tracking a moving target or moving myself. Then it takes a ton of concentration.

I'm actually going to try to switch to my left eye for pistols. Maybe shotguns too if I can figure out how to do that.

My weak eye doesn't seem to matter with a scope, dot, or ghost ring.
Both eyes open.
Old 12-06-2012, 8:09 PM

I am right handed cross dominant
I simply tilt my head slight to focus on handgun frontsight.
I don't have problem with AR type ghost ring either.

Only weapon I have problem with is AK. I would close my left eye in that case.
Old 12-06-2012, 8:15 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruising7388 View Post
Both eyes open.
Thanks. So which eye are you sighting with?

"I've heard this is a good read. I'm mean, I haven't read it myself but many very smart people said it's a good read. Believe me, many people are saying it....."
Old 12-07-2012, 4:42 AM
Banned

A common problem, but easily fixed. Put a piece of scotch tape over your glasses on the dominant left eye, keep both eyes open and look at the front sight. You can still see thru your left eye, but your right eye will be tricked into focusing on the front sight.
Old 12-07-2012, 7:17 PM

Im rt handed, and was in accident as a teen and cant see out of right eye well, nearly blind in it.

I shoot rifle/shotguns left handed - that took years to adjust. But being right handed.. i still shoot rt handed and shoot both eyes open.

I just dont have the left hand coordination to shoot as a lefty.
Old 12-07-2012, 8:06 PM

Wow, glad to see I am not alone. Right handed, left eye.

A few months ago I had an instructor teach me to shoot a shotgun left handed. it wasn't as uncomfortable as I expected and I could shoot much better. The last couple times I shot pistol I changed to left handed and it was much more comfortable than tilting my head so far over.