Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > FFL's Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

FFL's Forum For open discussion between FFLs and polite questions for FFLs.

Old 12-04-2012, 9:08 PM

Default Shipping Firearms and A&D Book

Someone came in because their friend died and the family of the deceased wants the guns. They are in another state and their FFL only accepts shipments from other FFLs. If we ship these guns for them, would we need to log them into and then out of our A&D book?

I'm pretty sure the answer is yes but someone is telling me that you don't.
3636 Castro Valley Blvd #1
Castro Valley, CA 94546
(510) 538-1686

Hours: Tues-Sat: 11:00am-6:30pm
07 FFL

*Follow us on Twitter and/or FaceBook for updates on what we have coming into the shop.
Old 12-05-2012, 1:34 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite Armory View Post
Someone came in because their friend died and the family of the deceased wants the guns. They are in another state and their FFL only accepts shipments from other FFLs. If we ship these guns for them, would we need to log them into and then out of our A&D book?

I'm pretty sure the answer is yes but someone is telling me that you don't.
I believe the answer is yes if you're sending them on your "FFL Paper". Otherwise, if you didn't log it in your book and the receiving FFL logged it in as received from your FFL then the ATF would have a problem if they were doing a trace since it would get to you and you would have no record in your bound book.
web: http://ugimports.com/calguns / email: sales@ugimports.com
twitter: http://twitter.com/ugimports / phone: (510) 371-GUNS (4867)
G+: http://google.com/+UGImportsLLCFremont / FB: http://facebook.com/ugimports
New Stock Announced on G+ and Facebook.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:21 PM
Calguns Addict

If you receive the firearms and then ship them, then you need to record them, as said above.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein
Old 12-05-2012, 3:30 PM
Vendor/Retailer

I will never understand why dealers do this. However, it makes it easy for you to make some money to ship some guns I suppose.

The Calguns Foundation - Board Member. DONATE NOW! Your dollars go DIRECTLY to front-line legal activism in CA.
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of The Calguns Foundation
Old 12-05-2012, 3:49 PM
Calguns Addict

I understand the reason completely. It makes it MUCH easier to deal with as you know who you are dealing with. I just don't agree with it as it costs people more money.

The funny thing is that you should have less issues with other FFLs, but that does not seem to be the case, at least for me.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein
Old 12-05-2012, 6:12 PM

Thanks for the responses.
3636 Castro Valley Blvd #1
Castro Valley, CA 94546
(510) 538-1686

Hours: Tues-Sat: 11:00am-6:30pm
07 FFL

*Follow us on Twitter and/or FaceBook for updates on what we have coming into the shop.
Old 12-09-2012, 7:17 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemasa View Post
It makes it MUCH easier to deal with as you know who you are dealing with.
End result is the same. ATF asks where I got it, I give them the information. Done. No difference.

And that is if the ATF ever asks where I got it, which they won't because traces work the other way around.

So it would only be on stolen handguns would this ever be an issue. It has never happened. If it does, same result. Here is where I received it from. Not my problem.

Gun has to go back? Provide me an FFL and I will ship it where you want. Same exact thing as if a citizen or the FFL that sent it sent it.

Absolutely no point in sending from another FFL. None.

The Calguns Foundation - Board Member. DONATE NOW! Your dollars go DIRECTLY to front-line legal activism in CA.
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of The Calguns Foundation
Old 12-09-2012, 12:02 PM
Calguns Addict

The difference is that you can look up information on the FFL. If the person gives you a copy of their ID, then there is no issue at all. A FFL has to get a copy of your FFL prior to shipping, a non-FFL does not, so a non-FFL can give a bogus name and address.

Old 12-09-2012, 7:45 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemasa View Post
The difference is that you can look up information on the FFL. If the person gives you a copy of their ID, then there is no issue at all. A FFL has to get a copy of your FFL prior to shipping, a non-FFL does not, so a non-FFL can give a bogus name and address.
That doesn't bother me in the slightest. That same fake ID can be used at the FFL that sent it. End results are the same.

Either way, it isn't my problem.