Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 12-03-2012, 7:15 PM
Veteran Member

Default How tough is your AR?

So I was having a discussion with a friend who wont lay his AR or any guns on anything less than a towel, and overall babies them.

I've thrown my 'battle rifle' from shooting height onto the ground in the desert, and it has been dropped a fair share of times, but he got me thinking about just how much abuse these can take with the receiver material and thickness(mainly around the barrel extension, where it seems most likely to get some torque)?

So any horror stories, testaments?

Oh and IBAKC (in before AK crowd)
Old 12-03-2012, 7:16 PM

Cue the video...

Old 12-03-2012, 7:23 PM
#BlackLabsMatter
CGN Contributor

Location: You can not protect the 1st Amendment without the 2nd Amendment........

We were using the Burbank Police range one time, and our training instructor had us working on different transitions to the side arm. When he announced that on the next evolution he wanted us to throw our rifles on the ground, you could hear some people down the line pissing and moaning.
My S&W M&P with Eotech survived repeated tosses to the ground just fine.
I would sure hope it would, my life may depend on it someday.
Old 12-03-2012, 7:28 PM

I don't think I could put my rifle through more hell than our boys over seas are doing right now, not worried about it.
Old 12-03-2012, 7:31 PM
Veteran Member

Daniel Defense Torture Test
...Slow, deep breath in followed by two quick, shallow exhales, then one long breath out. It should sound like "HEE HEE HOOOOOOOOooooooo...HEE HEE HOOOOOOOOooooooo". Once your comfortable with that breathing pattern, try to sync the tempo up with your heart rate. "Lub-dub...HEE HEE HOOOOOOOOooooooo... etc". ~ CBruce
Old 12-03-2012, 7:31 PM

some of us were taught that you never, ever drop your rifle. It may not be rational, and you may get passe dit in a combat situation, but the training is hard to ignore sometimes.
Old 12-03-2012, 7:35 PM
Calguns Addict

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kt7ZRRq2L4
At 3:59 the guy puts the barrel through a cinderblock!

WTB XDm .40. If you are within a hour of San Diego and what to sell then send an I'M please. I'm on the market for it!
Old 12-03-2012, 7:42 PM
Veteran Member

That DD vid is outstanding, just what I wanted to see. Anyone have a negative?
Old 12-03-2012, 7:45 PM
Veteran Member

makes me want to get a DD ar
Old 12-03-2012, 7:51 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheExiled View Post
That DD vid is outstanding, just what I wanted to see. Anyone have a negative?
Man I couldn't make it past the 1 minute mark, that video was so painful, lol. I guess it depends on what brand 'AR your friend has, also...
Old 12-03-2012, 7:56 PM
Calguns Addict

After watching the DD Video, 2 years ago, I bought one. I heard a major Vendor/Repair guy on arf say he believes 90+ percent of AR Owners will never put more than 500 rounds thru it. I tend to believe it`s true.

Take an OUTDOOR Class, you`ll drop a Weapon or two. I had an Instructor do it for me! The Training was worth the Humility. Generally, a few Scratches dont upset me anymore.
Old 12-03-2012, 7:59 PM
Veteran Member

Friends rifle is just a typical home built franken-rifle, as is mine. Im not afraid of scratches, it adds character
Old 12-03-2012, 8:00 PM

My answe is "not as tough as an AK". I used to think ARs were tough and many now are. Then I built an AK and realized how tough that design is... Everything about it is built to work with as few parts as possible and the receiver is reinforced with center supports and rivets.
Old 12-03-2012, 8:03 PM

Old 12-03-2012, 8:17 PM
Veteran Member

I've never gone out of my way to either damage or baby a firearm. I do have work horses and safe queens you decide what is right for you and your particular gun.

I think it really depends on your purpose for the gun I wouldn't intentionally damage a presentation grade gun at the same token I wouldn't want to carry a presentation grade gun.

So baby an AR not really needed unless it floats your boat its your decision.
Old 12-03-2012, 8:44 PM

My AR is so tough......it once shot a man for snoring too loud.
Old 12-03-2012, 8:57 PM

Most people, after spending $1000 - $1500 on an AR, will by nature want to "baby" their investment. Especially after spending another $500 plus for an Eotech or Aimpoint.

They don't see it as "hardware" like the way servicemen or operators see the rifle as. To most people "hardware" is that cheap cordless drill they bought at Harbor Freight or Home Depot.

I have AKs. I don't abuse them or baby them. Heck, I don't even worry about cleaning them.

I do have a new AR and I will be handling that with some care. For example, I have to break-in my new AR per the mfg suggested break-in procedure. I was told if I don't do it, I'll chance getting it copper fouled which could affect accuracy. Did I need to do that with my AK? Absolutely not.
Old 12-03-2012, 9:00 PM
Veteran Member

my M&P15T AR's so "tough", it can chew any type of .223/556 ammo without a hiccup.
Old 12-03-2012, 9:16 PM
The other white meat.
CGN Contributor

when people spend more then they can really afford they'll tend to baby an item. Car, tv, shoes, etc.

then there are the people who just really like a shiny new firearm and can't stand even the slightest blemish.
Old 12-03-2012, 9:26 PM

I won't throw my AR on the ground, but if I drop it, I'll yell an expletive, and that'll be the end of it. Don't baby 'em, don't abuse 'em.
Old 12-03-2012, 9:27 PM

I don't go out of my way to polish my guns but after shooting at a new location that had only concrete benches i quickly realized i shouldn't set any of ky guns down on the bare concrete as it was going to take the finish off. To be clear i want to protect the finish more for the rust protection than anything else.
That said... My ar is so tough it has withstood nearly 10 years of my stupidity.
Old 12-03-2012, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagedude88 View Post
Most people, after spending $1000 - $1500 on an AR, will by nature want to "baby" their investment. Especially after spending another $500 plus for an Eotech or Aimpoint.

They don't see it as "hardware" like the way servicemen or operators see the rifle as. To most people "hardware" is that cheap cordless drill they bought at Harbor Freight or Home Depot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laythor View Post
when people spend more then they can really afford they'll tend to baby an item. Car, tv, shoes, etc.

then there are the people who just really like a shiny new firearm and can't stand even the slightest blemish.
I agree. I don't have an armory to go to to have my rifle fixed as part of my job. Also I am not a manufacture of ARs so I don't have a endless supply of them. I wont fell bad babying my AR and EoTech once I have it all together because the project would be a culmination of many years of wanting and saving for an AR. Scratches here and there are fine but I am not purposefully going to trash my rifle to prove a point. Any damage that needs to be fixed comes out of my pockets, which only gets in the way of another AR build.
Old 12-03-2012, 9:51 PM

I've got friends that get palpitations when they see that my AR touches other rifles as it sits in my safe.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:12 PM
Veteran Member

I don't put any of my firearms through any unneeded trauma. Can they take abuse, sure! Do I need to decrease their desirability or resale value, nope. I shoot, clean & return to safe.
Any weapon that doesn't fit/ jive with me gets sold off.... Again, in steller condition.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilro View Post
I won't throw my AR on the ground, but if I drop it, I'll yell an expletive, and that'll be the end of it. Don't baby 'em, don't abuse 'em.
+ 1 I agree. I spent a lot of money (for my budget ) on my guns and I don't want to get them all dinged up, however it is the nature of the beast. Worrying about it all the time takes the enjoyment out of shooting them. If it happens it happens.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:37 PM

I meticulously etch, scratch, and scuff my receiver, handguards/buttstock, and barrel in my climate controlled garage on my unfired AR's before putting them back in the safe. Then spend the rest of my time making up harrowing stories about where the 'scars' came from when I was out on my nonexistent outdoorsman trips to tell to friends and family.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorFranko View Post
We were using the Burbank Police range one time, and our training instructor had us working on different transitions to the side arm. When he announced that on the next evolution he wanted us to throw our rifles on the ground, you could hear some people down the line pissing and moaning.
My S&W M&P with Eotech survived repeated tosses to the ground just fine.
I would sure hope it would, my life may depend on it someday.
Sorry to get a little off topic but, what drill on earth did that instructor have you do which required you to throw your rifle on the deck?

I have been on this earth a couple of days and spent the majority of them on a two way range with my life counting on a firearm and I have never, I repeat, never been instructed to throw down my weapon when doing a transition to my sidearm. I can not think of a reason that I would completely ditch my long gun short of it majorly catching on fire. That really sounded like some bad training and for your sake I hope that it did not sink in.

Back on topic, a quality AR will handle any normal usage that the rifle should see. Keep in mind that any weapon is a tool and just like any other tool you must use it in the way that it was made to be used. if you use a screwdriver as a pry tool you will bend it, if you use an AR to mix concrete you will F it up.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:03 PM

If you purposely abuse your rifles, you're an idiot.

But if you choose to do so, buy a DD, LaRue, LWRC. Not a Bubba rifle that was put together in the back shed.

And lastly, our servicemen and women from overseas on occasions have to drop their rifles for one reason or another. I'm sure they don't do it intentionally. But if they happen to break them, they get more for free.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:05 PM
Veteran Member

My AR is so tough it can walk on water, eat bullets, and poop ice cream.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baz152 View Post
Sorry to get a little off topic but, what drill on earth did that instructor have you do which required you to throw your rifle on the deck?

I have been on this earth a couple of days and spent the majority of them on a two way range with my life counting on a firearm and I have never, I repeat, never been instructed to throw down my weapon when doing a transition to my sidearm. I can not think of a reason that I would completely ditch my long gun short of it majorly catching on fire. That really sounded like some bad training and for your sake I hope that it did not sink in.

Back on topic, a quality AR will handle any normal usage that the rifle should see. Keep in mind that any weapon is a tool and just like any other tool you must use it in the way that it was made to be used. if you use a screwdriver as a pry tool you will bend it, if you use an AR to mix concrete you will F it up.
It was likely an exercise to both demonstrate that the rifles are not made of glass and can take some punishment and the put it into the trainee's heads that the rifles are a tool not a showpiece.

I certainly hope it wasn't (and seriously doubt it was) any sort of "tactically disarm yourself" type exercise.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Defense View Post
But if you choose to do so, buy a DD, LaRue, LWRC. Not a Bubba rifle that was put together in the back shed.
And what about a DD, LaRue, LWRC, etc rifle makes it more capable of being dropped without falling apart than a rifle you correctly assemble yourself?
Old 12-03-2012, 11:23 PM
Calguns Addict

I'll never forget about some dude here in this sub-forum once *****ing because he had brass marks on his deflector.

"...and an old German guy said there was a bit of an unsaid joke about the Nazi salute; apparently when they clicked their heels and raised their arm up in the air in a Nazi salute, they were saying, "we're in this much s___."
Old 12-03-2012, 11:30 PM
Make Calguns Great Again
CGN Contributor

People who worry about scratches on their AR should take a look at my lower receiver around the bolt catch pin
Old 12-03-2012, 11:57 PM

I've dropped my AR, fell off my workbench (upper only) when it slipped off the gun vise. It fell on linoleum, at least it wasn't concrete so it didn't get any scratches. But I was worried the sights would be off since it fell on the barrel/front sight. Don't think dropping it really affected it. I mean, it's used by the military. I'm sure AR's/M16's have been run over and still work.
Old 12-04-2012, 2:54 AM
Banned

My AR is so tough... Chuck Norris used it to bring World peace.
Old 12-04-2012, 4:53 AM
Calguns Addict

I've seen more M16s than I'd like dropped from the back of trucks, the compression lock on the sling pop open and rifles fall off shoulders to the ground, driven over by M113s, dropped from a height while climbing a cargo net....the sight ears bend and handguards crack but the rifles still work. The only time I saw them not survive is when one melted in a track when it burned up. It was a puddle of metal and fragments.
Old 12-04-2012, 5:06 AM
Banned

My ar is pretty tough. As for damaging my weapons.... well I do enjoy throwing a bunch of dirt in there to see if they still work.
Old 12-04-2012, 5:22 AM
#BlackLabsMatter
CGN Contributor

Location: You can not protect the 1st Amendment without the 2nd Amendment........

Quote:
Originally Posted by baz152 View Post

Aw, I bet if you applied yourself you could think of another reason or two that you may need to ditch your rifle, but the rifle "majorly catching fire" is a good one!
If you don't practice it (any scenario), the day you need it, you'll have to think about it before doing it, not a good thing.
Personally, I like training that leaves no stone unturned and nothing unpracticed.
Old 12-04-2012, 6:25 AM

On a personal basis considering how much rifles cost why would you abuse your rifle when you don't have too??? Regardless of the brand I wouldn't do it.

Mail Clerk
Old 12-04-2012, 7:02 AM
Veteran Member

Not condoning abusing anything just for the sake of doing it, as someone above said, sometimes you want to train for anything and sometimes that means dropping your weapon. If you disagree, that's your right