Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 01-12-2013, 12:18 PM
Veteran Member

Default Help me build a Mauser?

Not sure if this should go here or in the 'Smithing forum, but since I have no parts to 'smith, I figured I could get info here.

I came across a nice Mauser action sans barrel and stock and ???

Question 1 would be - What would I need to make this back into a functioning and shoot-able rifle, is it worth it, and is it do-able in today's craziness?

Q2 - Would I be better off just selling it?

This one was with a collection of several others, all chambered in different calibers with different stocks. I would either like to make this original or in .308 so I could shoot it more.

Pics?

All the numbers match, not sure if that really matters since there is nothing else..
Old 01-12-2013, 12:48 PM
Veteran Member

1934 Banner Mauser, very nice.....wait, I mean it's a ticking time bomb and you should give it to me for proper disposal, free of charge.
Made before war production, they got attention to detail, one of the better actions to build on. It's already past putting back original, which would be cost prohibitive anyhow. The stripper guide ears have been ground off in prep for a scope mount.
You'll need a trigger, trigger guard w/floorplate, mag spring and follower, low profile safety, barrel, and stock. The bolt handle will have to be forged bent for scope clearance, or a new one welded on. I prefer the later.
Is it cheaper to buy a Remchesterby? Most likely. But there's no fun or satisfaction in that. Printing a one hole group with a rifle you built...Priceless.
Old 01-12-2013, 1:04 PM
Veteran Member

Looks like a nice commercial action --
150-200 -buy and fit barrel -
150-200+ buy stock & hardware, fit and finish --
100-120 - buy iron sights and install -
75-100 - buy trigger guard, floor plate, follower and spring
there's more costs -- this would have to be a labor of love -
Even if you could DIY, the cost is pretty high --
But it is a commercial action --
my tuppence
Old 01-12-2013, 1:04 PM
Veteran Member

Looks like a nice commercial action --
150-200 -buy and fit barrel -
150-200+ buy stock & hardware, fit and finish --
100-120 - buy iron sights and install -
75-100 - buy trigger guard, floor plate, follower and spring
there's more costs -- this would have to be a labor of love -
Even if you could DIY, the cost is pretty high --
But it is a commercial action --
my tuppence
Old 01-12-2013, 1:13 PM

How much would you have to get for it if you were to sell it? Would be sweet for a sporter build.
My Facebook
Contact me for Home Computer virus removal, optimization, and networking(Sacramento Area)
Quote:
Originally Posted by plumbum View Post
It's like a little japanese chick with big fake boobies - I'm sure it's more fun, but there is just something wrong about it?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTokarev View Post
I just threw up a little bit.

Can you charge more for "tactical ninja stripes"?
Old 01-12-2013, 1:48 PM
Veteran Member

I would absolutely love to build it into a rifle on my own, all told around 500 for a long term project isn't bad.

Ill have to explore my options a bit more and see what/where parts are available to begin with. It might be better off going to a home of someone who knows what they're doing, and I would consider that. I don't know what it's worth, if someone has an idea let me know
Old 01-12-2013, 2:12 PM

I see the CGN server is still crap.

Last edited by ScottB; 01-12-2013 at 2:16 PM..
Old 01-12-2013, 2:13 PM

I think to build a quality rifle you're probably looking 3-4 times that and obviously you could spend more. I suspect custom rifle builders would be very interested in that action and it'd be a waste to do a budget sporter with it. If that's what you want, I'd suggest selling that action and getting a less expensive mauser action
Old 01-12-2013, 2:27 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottB View Post
I think to build a quality rifle you're probably looking 3-4 times that and obviously you could spend more. I suspect custom rifle builders would be very interested in that action and it'd be a waste to do a budget sporter with it. If that's what you want, I'd suggest selling that action and getting a less expensive mauser action
Pretty much what I was getting at with my second original question. Im open to that, I would rather see it done right than be half of what it has potential. Ive already looked around a little and see .308 barrels around $100-150
Old 01-12-2013, 3:07 PM
Veteran Member

Buy a .308 barrel, Israeli or norwegian surplus to build up as a military rifle, or buy a commercial barrel and put into a sporter stock, just money.

I have a double set trigger (post WWII) action Im trying to figure out to sell or build a 308 or 7.62x39mm target rifle with.

Old 01-12-2013, 6:46 PM

.308 is a short action round. The appropriate rounds for this standard length action will be about .30-06 length. You can build a belted mag, like .300 or .338 WinMag, but it requires additional machining of the action and it is 80 years old. I would look at rounds like .25-06, .270, .30-06, .338-06 (my fav), .35 Whelen or even 9.3mm x 62 (another fav). Those are all based on the.30-06 case, but there are lots of possibilities. I would look at barrel makers such as Lilja, PacNor, Krieger, Shilen, etc.

I am slowly building a 1909 Argentine in .338-06. Barrel is Pac Nor ($300 for the bbl, not yet installed) and I converted it to a Model 70 3-position safety ($165 for the part and $45 to fit) and a Timney trigger ($145). One of the benefits of the 1909 is the hinged floorplate. You'll probably have to buy aftermarket bottom metal by Blackburn, Sound Metal, Sunny Hill, etc. Figure $450-$550 just for that. A new bolt handle will run you $150 or so. Iron sights it you want them, figure a couple hundred. Stock: Wood for these babies and the sky's the limit. You don't need exhibition grade wood but getting a decent blank in a good design and properly fit and (hopefully) checkered ain't cheap. I am still looking. There there is bluing... After all that you are ready for a scope.

Finding a beater pre-64 M70, which is essentially an improved Mauser, and reworking it is a much cheaper proposition.

6mmitl, what manufacture is your action? Are the double set triggers standard or aftermarket?

Last edited by ScottB; 01-12-2013 at 6:48 PM..
Old 01-12-2013, 6:46 PM

%#$$ Calguns server!
Old 01-12-2013, 10:40 PM
Veteran Member

Nothing wrong with a 308 on 98 receiver --
I have a 250/3000 on one, it works fine --
Old 01-12-2013, 11:35 PM

9.3mm Mauser. All the way.

I doubt you'll be able to build a cheaper safari rifle than that.

“When you want to kill a man, you must shoot for the heart and the Winchester is the best weapon."
-Ramon, A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKinzey
The chuckleheaded tinfoil-asshatter racist (yes! that's a couple of names and a label!)
Old 01-13-2013, 6:26 AM
Calguns Addict

I have a numbers matching yugo I'd let go. Toss the action on, it's nicer
Old 01-13-2013, 6:46 AM
Veteran Member

308 is a better cartridge to use in a standard length Mauser 98. 30-06 length rounds are a bit longer than 8MM, and require magazine mods and cutting away some of the feed ramp for proper feeding with anything but the shortest, deepest seated bullets. The feed ramp is the back side of the lower lug seat.

Kcstott is savvy with Mausers. Maybe he'll join in.
Old 01-13-2013, 7:15 AM
Banned

Builds are cool. I've done four Mauser builds, and I'm doing a .308Win one now on a Spanish Mauser receiver.

Builds cost more than finding an already built rifle, but builds are way more fun than just buying a rifle.

After it's built you have to tune it. Then you work up loads for it with reloading. Lots of fun.

Don't be afraid, but go slow--that way you can afford it. :-)

CDFingers
Old 01-13-2013, 7:38 AM

I recently went through this exercise. The .308 is .43" shorter than the 8mm and the .30-06 is .11" longer than 8mm. The rim diameter of the .308 and the '06 are the same and the 8mm is slightly smaller. The 'smith I have been working with strongly recommended going with a round based on the '06 case because the cost/benefit of running out the extra .11" were greater than blocking the nearly half inch for a medium length round like the .308. He also said the shoulder angle of the .308 can cause some feeding issues and the shorter Yugo M48 action was a better choice for that class of calibers. Most of the custom mausers I have seen are standard length calibers. I went with a .338-06 over the belted .338 or .300 winmags because the magnum rounds required additional machining and loss of a round of mag capacity, plus if there is a mistake and too much material is removed, it can cause feeding issues. Argies are hard to come by these days, so I decided not to take the risk. The .30-06 cartridge family also offers a much greater selection of modern sporting calibers than the 8MM family which has mainly european calibers. The 9.3x62mm is a unique case family but apparently brass can be readily fireformed from .30-06 brass. I really wanted to build one, but had no real use for it. The .338-06 is about 85% of the .338Mag and puts less stress on a 100 year old action (and an old shooter). It should be a great elk round and really hammer the pigs. I still have hopes of getting a moose someday. I have seen several of mausers done up as belted magnums - all the way to .416 Taylor and I'm sure theres a .458 or two out there. I just think its asking a lot of some of these older actions, although a 1930's commercial mauser might be up to it.

But that's the beauty of building your own rifle (or more accurately, managing the project of having it built), you can make it whatever your heart and your wallet desire.

.308:
Case length 2.015 (51.18 mm)
Overall length 2.800 (71.12 mm)

8MM Mauser:
Case length 2.244" (57.00 mm)
Overall length 3.228" (82.00 mm)

.30-06:
Case length 2.494" (63.3 mm)
Overall length 3.34" (85 mm)
Old 01-13-2013, 12:04 PM

Hello TheExiled:

I'm new to this site, and this is my first post. I read this thread, and had to respond. I would highly recommend that you do your own build on this action. You've got a real nice Mauser action, in beautiful condition. If you sell it, later you will be kicking yourself in the butt once you realize what you had! One of the great things about building a nice rifle out of a Mauser action like that is that you don't have to build the rifle right NOW. That action is almost 80 years old - it will wait for you.
Since you can take as long as you want, to build the rifle exactly the way you want, I think that you should go online, or even to the library, and start leaning about Mausers. You don't nee to be worried about the cost of the build, because unlike unlike buying a rifle, you don't have to come up with all the cash at once. You will learn so much from doing your own build, and in the end it will be so gratifying having a unique rifle better than anything you could buy pre-made, that it will be more than worth it to you. There's so much to learn and do that just building your own rifle will make you a better shooter. On top of that, once your finished, the gun that you've built will be exactly what you want, fitted exactly to you.
A good way to start learning about the Mauser 98, (or small rings too), is to get a beater action and build it into a 45acp, or into a "truck gun" in the caliber of your choice. My first build was putting a 45acp kit on a Turk Mauser, and I learned a lot from that, like mounting scope bases, low scope safety's, glass and pillar bedding, stock finishing, etc., all on a low cost "fun" gun, while learning how to apply this to a finer rifle.
Anyway, don't sell that action, hang onto it. Even if you don't think that you have the resources to do something like this right now, ten or even twenty years from now you might, and (so long as you don't let it rust) that action will still be waiting for you.

Mark
Old 01-13-2013, 5:13 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the insight fellas, and welcome to calguns Mark. I am going to look around for a bit and explore options and potential of similar rifles before I decide what to do. I'm definitely not opposed to 06
Old 01-14-2013, 9:12 PM

Building up a classic custom Mauser sporter in the 1930's-40's German style would be real cool. Doing it right would be kind of costly though, unless you could find the parts somewhere like from a nice vintage custom stock someone took off a "sporterized" 98k they restored. I at one time had several nice '03 Springfield and 98 Mauser stocks that came off rifles I restored back to original.

If you look around carefully, there are also a lot of various European military M98 Mauser parts out there - stocks, barrels, even "parts kits" left over from someone's sporter project that have everything but the action.

It would probably look best done up as 98k style rifle, but VZ24 stuff is available and affordable too.

Or if you could find something like a Brazilian, Argentine, or Persian contract long M98 Mauser that someone had used the action for a custom rifle - those are all top quality German or Czech parts that you could use to assemble a very nice looking and accurate "FrankenMauser"

Barrels are out there, even affordable ones in decent condition. I don't know what is involved in installing a barrel, headspacing it, and making sure the sights line up right though....meaning, of course what that would cost.

If it wouldn't be such a shame to drill holes in the beautiful Mauser banner emblem and then cover it up, I would suggest this as the platform to build up a replica 98k sniper of either WW2 or Balkan Wars/dissolution of Yugoslavia pattern.
Old 01-16-2013, 9:49 AM
Veteran Member

I was at my smith Monday getting my 1911 worked on, and he happened to have several Mausers and based rifles in different varieties from his own collection. He also had two barrels that could work with my action, a 30-06 and a .243.

I hadn't really given any consideration to the latter, but now am lost once again. Disadvantages to the .243? Is that too small/light a projectile for 6-800 yards? I know it still has potential for taking game(obviously at shorter ranges than that). Im looking to build this (if I decide to do this instead of selling it off) into a 70% long range target, 30% hunting rig.

I also was able to paw several stocks he had, from modded originals, thumbhole, target style heavy composite and wood, and I think my favorite, the Hogue. Problem is that the Hogue is for a large ring. Anything that can be done to solve this?
Old 01-16-2013, 12:28 PM

Most of us shoot more rounds out of our hunting rifles at targets than game, but for serious target shooting, the Mauser is not the best. Its 100 year old technology. The lock times are slower than modern actions, among other things. M700 or their derivatives is what most guys are using. I'm not sure you really realize where the value and the highest and best use of this action lies. The controlled round feed, double triggers, manufacture, etc all scream classic hunting rifle. Even without the triggers, any number of custom rifle builders would covet this action while the tactical and target guys would probably pass. As for building up a frankenmauser, for what it would cost you, you could buy a real one in top condition and not squander a great action in the process.

As for stocks, my thoughts are laminated stocks are stable, but heavy and sort of cheap looking. Thumbholes have been around as long as I can remember and they have never been popular. I always figured there must be a reason. Synthetics are practical as hell, but fugly and the cheaper ones just suck. I put a Hogue on a Rem 700 7mm Mag. Its a little heavy and a little clunky, but quiet, solid and gives a good grip. The bedding block is a must, IMO. I'm still a fan of a nicely cut, nicely figured wood stock on a fine firearm. Maybe I have spent too much time with shotguns, but wood and steel just does it for me. I have covers and camo tape I protect my nice wood stocks with when I hunting and it works well.

The double triggers are interesting and expensive. Some guys like them, some dont. Think carefully about the barrel and machine work. Its worth it to buy a top quality barrel and have the action trued and squared and the barrel chambered and fit by someone who knows Mausers and knows what they are doing. Mauser actions were relatively soft steel that was hardened. Some were softer than others (like my 1909). Not sure about yours, but check to see if its an issue and after machining you may want to have it re-heat treated (gas carburized). Only place I know of that does it is Blanchard in Salt Lake City http://www.bmproc.com/ Ask whatever smith you decide to use what their opinion is.

A new/old stock small ring commercial action is sort of the holy grail for mauser sporters, outside of a Brevex. The comparable one to yours would be the g33/40 mountain rifle and those were all scoured up by rifle makers years ago. It would be a shame to bubba-ize it.

For me, anytime I do anything custom, I always look at what would be desirable in the market. I'm remodeling my house right now and it will be everything I want, but it is still saleable, 'cause you never know. My neighbors did theirs last year and did a nice job, but probably $100K of it was spent on design elements and finishes that they love, but few other people will and they will never see a dime of that cost returned. Its the same for cars and guns.

Before rushing into anything, I'd look around and see some of the rifles that have been built and what they are used for, what the prevailing aesthetic for mausers is, etc and get a better idea of what you really want. Talk to a few smiths who specialize in mauser builds. You may have to outsource to several specialists. Most custom rifle makers have websites with galleries. Many of those guys are master gunsmiths and guild members and their guns go for big bucks, but you can see some really nice designs and execution. The images tab on Google will bring up dozens of pictures of custom mausers. Gunbroker always has some listed and you can see the good, bad and the ugly.

Here is an interesting narrative of the rifle building process:
http://nerdgun.blogspot.com/2012/01/...ser-recap.html
Old 01-16-2013, 2:12 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks ScottB, Im still not convinced that I have the patience/money/skill yet to tackle this particular piece, which is why Im fishing for info so much. I would hate to sell off this thing if it is at all conceivable for me to build it
Old 01-16-2013, 3:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheExiled View Post
Thanks ScottB, Im still not convinced that I have the patience/money/skill yet to tackle this particular piece, which is why Im fishing for info so much. I would hate to sell off this thing if it is at all conceivable for me to build it
That's sort of what I've been saying. It's not really a DIY deal. I did a dry run on a VZ24 and it was a decent rifle, but honestly nothing special - nor did it look like it. You can slap one together easy enough, but done right, building up a custom bolt action rifle, particularly a nice one is a whole different animal than bolting together some AR zombie killer. You'll be paying for parts and a lot of very skilled labor.

In the 1909 I'm building, I've learned I'm sort of a project manager. I planned out what I wanted to build and what parts and processes I needed and then went about rounding up the parts, found a smith who showed me enough work samples that I knew he could do the action work, chamber and fit the barrel and the sights, change to a M70 safety, etc. , but some things like heat treating and, later on rust bluing, I'll send out. Probably the stock work as well or at least the checkering, but I am still looking for a piece of wood I like. This will end up being about a two year process. If its more than you want to deal with, I'd find out what its worth and offer it up to someone who would see it through and see what kind of cash or trade you could do, but that's me. Its your action and you can deal with however you like.
Old 01-16-2013, 9:37 PM
Veteran Member

if you wanted to be a little different do an 8mm-06. while it sounds weird there used to be a bunch of them around. i happened to end up with a sportered rechambered persian mauser in 8mm-06. somebody really buggered up the scope-mounting holes so i'm still fighting that but it's in a nice stock that smacks of older weatherby-type, and even has a decent set of iron sights on it. can't wait to get some decent loads worked up for it and hopefully get a scope mounted straight for cryin' out loud. really is a neat rifle though, and a '30s commercial action is a great start for a build. go slow and build a beauty, you'll be glad you did. easier than trying to turn a pig into a princess.
Old 01-17-2013, 4:29 AM
Banned

We don't do builds to save money, as builds usually cost more than buying that caliber at a store. We do it because it's fun--well, I do anyway.

Mauser builds rock, especially if done on a receiver that is alone, sad, and lonely without a rifle to live in...

CDFingers
Old 01-17-2013, 7:23 AM

One thing to keep in mind when choosing a caliber is the selection of bullets (and/or factory ammo if you don't reload) available for a given caliber. Poor selection of bullets has always been the biggest knock on the 8mms, .325 and .35's. .338 is the hands down winner with respect to market share in the medium caliber space and has a wide selection of bullets and factory loads and there are several rounds chambered for it - .338 winmag, lapua, federal, etc.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:35 AM
Veteran Member

I do reload. Im between restoring it to what it was or selling it at this point. I know building it is going to be a long process and Im good with that. Selling it, I dont even know how/where to start.