Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 12-03-2012, 1:51 PM

Default trouble with AK feeding ammo

Got a WASR 10/63 that keeps getting ammo stuck while shooting. Sometimes goes 8 rounds, sometimes goes 2, but then it jams. Just the tip of the bullet gets in the chamber and then it gets stuck. Also getting marks and scratches on the bullet and sometimes a little dent on the case.

Could it be a mag problem? Just got the gun, cleaned it before using, but there is a problem somewhere.

Where do I start?

The mag's looks real rough and has sharp edges on top, I was thinking of smoothing it down in the top of the mag.
2 Metal 10 round mag's by the way.

Any advice greatly appreciated. I know my way around a SKS, but the AK platform is new to me.
Old 12-03-2012, 2:13 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

interestingly enough, i had the same issue with my AK last time I went out using what looks like old metal mags. Not sure of the make. The springs seemed a little soft and when feeding the magazine, the rounds would shift such that I would have to reposition them to stay in the correct double stack orientation.

I was using standard wolf/tul/brown bear stuff (not sure which one i was using at the same).

needless to say, when i went to tapco (yea....tapco) and circle 10 mags, i had no feeding issues.

those two mags are now out of commission (i might try it again to see if i can recreate the issue) and I will stick with tapco/circle10/bulgarian steel mags that are blocked OR arsenal/tapco 10rd mags.
Old 12-03-2012, 2:21 PM

Sounds like feed ramp issue..
Old 12-03-2012, 2:32 PM

How do I fix ramp feed issues?
I will try a couple different mags next time also.
Old 12-03-2012, 2:46 PM
Veteran Member

Get a WASR...wait sorry, that's my standard AK thread reply. I'd try different mags, maybe a stubby 10 rounder. I've noticed on one of the 10/30 steel mags I have the spring gets hung up on the riviting. This doesn't happen in my 25+year old pre-bans.
Old 12-03-2012, 3:00 PM

See where the bullet is leaving copper marks if possible (on the ramp) and then with a dremel, felt tip and polishing compound, hit that area.
Old 12-03-2012, 3:17 PM

could I just polish the entire ramp?
Old 12-03-2012, 3:28 PM
Calguns Addict

Also check the length of the ejector, this can lead to all kinds of problems in the AK. (It's somewhat counter intuitive, but in addition to ejecting the empty casings the ejector plays a part in guiding the bolt as it picks up a fresh round.)

- Field strip
- Put the bolt & carrier back in and observe how well the ejector fills the gap in the bolt. If the bolt has a lot of play as it passes next to the ejector, that may be your issue. You want the ejector to fill out the gap while not binding.

Specs to check: (measure from outside of receiver to ejector tip)
AK47: 0.560
AK74: 0.580
Old 12-03-2012, 3:35 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Location: Live in NorCal and work in SoCal...Gun laws in CA are terrible.

Try different ammo, try different magazines, let it break in, return if needed...I am a dremel guy but will not ever tell anyone to use it.
03 Chevy Trailblazer , 06 Kawi ZX-10R, 05 Kawi KX250F, 07 Yamaha YZ85 - PSL , AES-10B, (2x) WASR 10/63, Draco AK Pistol, Polish Underfolder, Polish Tantal, Daniel Defense M4, Franken-AR, 1945 Izzy M44, 1936 Tula 91/30, Remington 870 Express, Smith and Wesson M&P 45, FN FNP-9, COLT 1911 XSE . NYC in CA. [COLOR="Red"][B]Obama S(_)[KS!
Southwest Sales Manager -SolidWorks.
Old 12-03-2012, 3:42 PM
Veteran Member

Just throwing this out there, but is it the bolt carrier that stops midway on the rails? Do you then push the charging handle forward and it feeds correctly, or does it jam that you have to clear it, eject the round?

Additionally, what ammo were you using, hollow points or soft points can be a big problem with some AKs.

Do not start dremeling anything just yet.

Here's an interesting thread that recently popped up that might help you in possibly IDing the issue, as in the mag is sitting too low. Also some good pics for reference.

http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1187537

"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered. The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."

KrisAnne Hall on Oregon

"I am sullied - no more" Col. Ted Westhusing
Old 12-03-2012, 3:47 PM
Veteran Member

If it is just the bolt carrier stopping midway on the rails, you may simply have to de-burr the rails, which is basically sanding them very lightly, specifically in rough areas. DO NOT sand your ejector. I had to do this on my DRACO. Or just shoot a couple of hundred rounds, that usually does the trick.

"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered. The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."

KrisAnne Hall on Oregon

Old 12-03-2012, 3:56 PM

"Just throwing this out there, but is it the bolt carrier that stops midway on the rails? Do you then push the charging handle forward and it feeds correctly, or does it jam that you have to clear it, eject the round?

Additionally, what ammo were you using, hollow points or soft points can be a big problem with some AKs. "

No, I cant push the handle forward as the round is stuck in their. The tip of the bullet, about 1/4 to 1/2 inch is in the barrel but the round is sitting at an angle and has to be cleared out of the gun before anything will move.
Also, looks like the bolt is hitting the side of the cartridge, not the end of the round.

I am using WPA (wolf) FMJ ammo, no hollow points or soft points
Old 12-03-2012, 4:01 PM
I need a LIFE!!

try the obvious first, find somebody with mags that you know 100% work. Then try those.
Then feed ramp, then bolt extractor etc etc etc

disclaimer:
everything I post is for arguendo and entertainment purposes only, and should not be construed to be legal advice
Old 12-03-2012, 4:08 PM
Veteran Member

Well, read through the link I posted, mags could be sitting too low, symptomatic with some WASRs.

Also follow sd_shooter's words of advice and do some measurements, as well as, MrPlink's, start with the basics again, eliminate the mags.

KrisAnne Hall on Oregon

Old 12-03-2012, 4:12 PM
Veteran Member

"eliminate the mags", as in, hopefully you know someone with some reliable mags that can be tested against the mags you have used.

KrisAnne Hall on Oregon

Old 12-04-2012, 12:44 PM

I have a couple more mags, dont know if they are any better, but I will try them. Thanks for the help.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:52 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default You can try that without going to the range

you should be able to take the dust cover off, insert the magazine with a couple of snap caps and see if it sits too low. You can insert the other magazines you have and compare. Or even cycle a few rounds through by hand with the dust cover off and the recoil spring removed so that you can see exactly what happens.

Carl
Redding CA. Shasta County, NorCal
Old 12-05-2012, 6:55 AM

"even cycle a few rounds through by hand with the dust cover off and the recoil spring removed so that you can see exactly what happens."

I dont have any snap caps for this gun. If I cycle it by hand, with the cover and spring off, would it work with a empty shell casing? Normally I would never put a live round in a gun and cycle it at home, I just believe in always being safe.
Old 12-05-2012, 7:40 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Shell casing wont work. The bullet itself is what initially slides on the feed ramp into the chamber and without that you are more than likely to induce a malfunction of some sort. On a different note some folks will intentionally randomly load just a case into a mag to practice failure drills while at the range.
Old 01-06-2013, 3:53 PM
Veteran Member

Any resolution on this, Scott?

KrisAnne Hall on Oregon