Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 12-03-2012, 11:36 AM

Default what to look for when picking up new rifle?

Hello,

A friend purchased a rem 700 and asked me what he should check about the rifle before leaving the store. I dont have a rifle whats a good answer?
Old 12-03-2012, 12:17 PM

Pull the bolt and inspect the bore. It might be a little dirty from the factory (test fired and oiled for storage). What you don't want to see is any obvious tool marks or if used a worn out barrel. Make sure it's unloaded and then close the bolt. It should not take an excessive amount of force to close the bolt. Brand new guns should do require a little break in but it shouldn't be excessive force. Remington's have started to have some quality control problems so inspect the stock and outside metal for cracks (wood) or miss-machining. Finally, inspect the crown of the barrel. Make sure there are no dings at the exit of the rifling. Ask the shop if they have any dry fire caps/rounds so you can test the trigger/firing of the gun. That should cover most of the issues.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:39 PM

If he already purchased it he should take it out of the box and inspect it before he leaves the store. Look for scratches, etc. (of course, he should have inspected it before he bought it). They usually box them up after you pay for them so it shouldn't be an issue.
Old 12-03-2012, 1:38 PM

Thanks for the info. I was with him blk friday at dicks. They had so many people they werent pulling out each gun to inspect first