Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 12-03-2012, 10:34 AM

Default Advice for my first AR build...

So I just bought a S&W stripped lower and I'm trying to figure out the rest. I'm thinking about getting a piston driven upper. Any recommendations that wont totally break the bank? Anyone know anything about Adams Arms?

Also Is there really much of a difference with lower parts kits? I've seen a bunch on cheaper than dirt and I can't really tell what the difference is and they are all pretty much under $100.

Also let me know if you have recommendations for the other stuff (stocks etc.)

THANKS!
Old 12-03-2012, 11:10 AM

My friends say I'm ridiculous, and they're probably right, but I'm loyal to spikes tactical (DI) or LWRC (piston). There are a lot of great manufacturers out there though. Do you want an assembled upper? Or do you want to assemble it yourself?

Your questions are hard to answer because of all your options out there. Do you want an upgraded trigger? If so, then yes which lower parts kit matters. Is this gun going to be a work horse or just a plinker every other weekend?

For stocks I'm a Magpul fan, adjustable. I have a fixed front sight, EOTech, and cheapy Magpul flip up rear sight.

Are you going to shoot using a sling for support? If so, make sure your rails are free floating.

And to quote a posting by another member

Originally Posted by Larry Vickers
Piston AR's have their place- to determine if you need one ask yourself four questions;

1) Do I need a barrel length shorter than 14.5 inches
2) Do I need to run my gun suppressed a lot
3) Do I need to shoot a lot of full auto
4) Do I need to shoot a wide variety of ammo

Piston guns have been shown to be superior in those four categories over a DI gun. If you can say no to all four questions a good DI gun will do you fine

I'm certainly still learning all about ARs but I'm happy to share my experiences and opinions with you if you'd like.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:24 AM
Veteran Member

To make better suggestions we would need to know your budget and the intended use of the rifle.

As for Piston vs. DI...

I would save the $$$ and extra weight and stick with DI.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:26 AM

Thanks for the info!

To answer your questions I'm pretty much a layman when it comes to ARs so I'm thinking I'll just get an assemble upper. I don't really care about having a super fancy trigger at this point as long as it isn't a crappy trigger. I'd definitely like the option of using a sling.

Overall I'd say It will just be a plinker but I want it to be a nice, reliable plinker. I'm not going to war or anything but I want to know that it will be accurate, long lasting, and free of any problems.

The answer to all 4 piston questions is no so maybe I'll consider just doing DI.

Please let me know if you have any more insight! Thanks again!
Old 12-03-2012, 11:27 AM

I'm already in almost $200 for the lower after DROS and taxes and all that. If I can build the rest of the rifle for less than $1100 I'll be happy. (Not including optics because I'll probably just wait on that and get something awesome)
Old 12-03-2012, 12:43 PM
Off-roster
CGN Contributor

Take a look at all the setups some of the members on here have. If there's a certain look you're interested in, find out the parts used and (if possible) try them out for yourself to see if they are comfortable for you.

Once you get an idea of how your preferred rifle looks and feels, it's much easier for the rest of us to make recommendations. For instance, "I'm looking for a stock with a good cheek weld and storage compartments, I need a larger pistol grip, lightweight hand guards, etc.."
Old 12-03-2012, 1:29 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdouglass View Post
I'm already in almost $200 for the lower after DROS and taxes and all that. If I can build the rest of the rifle for less than $1100 I'll be happy. (Not including optics because I'll probably just wait on that and get something awesome)
Look at PSA for a good quality and very well priced LBK. These will include everything you need to complete your lower ( except the BB).

For uppers I suggest BCM, PSA or Riflegear as a good starting point.
Old 12-03-2012, 1:35 PM

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...m_medium=email

$80 free shipping everything you need to build your lower

Assumption is the Mother of All ****Ups. Speaking of ****ups, where the Hell are all my packages
Old 12-03-2012, 1:39 PM

And let me know what you think of this!

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=555451

Assumption is the Mother of All ****Ups. Speaking of ****ups, where the Hell are all my packages
Old 12-03-2012, 1:44 PM
AKA: Joe Censored
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

My recommendation is to use a quality lpk and use the trigger that comes with it (basically not dpms or bushmaster). Go DI, and just don't go bottom dollar on the upper and you'll be happy.

Avoid crap optics.

Just vote Yes please, not asking for money.
Old 12-03-2012, 3:49 PM

Ya know I should have recommended this from the start, go to a few of your local black gun dealers. Have them pull a few off the shelves, ask them questions about why one is more expensive than another. Pay attention to the BCG, trigger, what iron sights you like (and more importantly the ones you don't), etc. and it may run you a few more dollars but maybe buy your parts kit/upper/stock/buffer/etc from them as a thank you.

Honestly that's how I did it. I went in on off hours so I wasn't taking 'real' customers time and just picked their brains.

I'm not sure where you are, but in the Bay Area I go exclusively to Eddys shooting Sports. They're new and small but you won't find a better shop
Old 12-03-2012, 3:51 PM

Btw I live on mountain view. I have an exclusively Spikes AR. If you'd like to shoot it, PM me and we'll see if we can set up a time.
Old 12-03-2012, 4:01 PM

Wow thank you so much. That's very generous but I'm down in LA.

All of you guys are a huge help. I really appreciate it. I ended up ordering that awesome PSA LPK deal. I'll probably wait on the upper until I can shop around more and check some out in person.