Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 12-03-2012, 8:01 PM

Default noob

So the old lady walked in the door tonight and set a box in front of me. It happens to be a shiny new RCBS master reloader kit. I must say I am a little excited! Also a little intimidated . I have always wanted to reload but it does make me a little nervous. Any tips/ advise? I want to reload obviously for my 223/556, 7 rem mag, 250 savage, 45 auto, and maybe for my Dad's 300 Weatherby. Maybe even the Mosin.
Old 12-03-2012, 8:40 PM

Best advice I can give is to learn to reload on pistol calibers first. Rifle brass has a lot more prep involved. Read a manual or two and the stickys. Don't be afraid to ask noob questions.
Old 12-03-2012, 9:13 PM

Buy the ABC's of Reloading, and read it twice.

http://www.amazon.com/ABCs-Reloading...s+of+reloading
Old 12-03-2012, 9:18 PM

READ as much as you can. The front of load manuals have tons of good info. You can also use youtube. If you can sit and focus, you can make your own ammo. It really isn't that hard.

The best advice I have is to keep only 1 powder in your workspace at a time. As long as you don't use the wrong powder-pistol powder in rifle cases or vice versa, you should be ok.

There are alot of guys here that have plenty of info they are willing to share. Take advantage of it.
Old 12-03-2012, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider1k View Post
So the old lady walked in the door tonight and set a box in front of me. It happens to be a shiny new RCBS master reloader kit. I must say I am a little excited! Also a little intimidated . I have always wanted to reload but it does make me a little nervous. Any tips/ advise? I want to reload obviously for my 223/556, 7 rem mag, 250 savage, 45 auto, and maybe for my Dad's 300 Weatherby. Maybe even the Mosin.
I only started reloading only about 2.5 months ago... only about two months after getting my first gun (an RIA M1911A1-FS Tactical) in .45ACP. Every waking minute that I wasn't working or at the range, I was reading about both the gun and reloading. I have a Kindle and purchased or borrowed several books on reloading. I scoured the 'net for information as well. I read, and re-read, and read it again... I became familiar with the terms, the theory, and the process. Oh, and I did some more reading. I also work with a guy that has been reloading lots of calibers for as long as I remember. He's been extremely helpful and a bit of a mentor.

By the time my press arrived, I already knew all the steps needed, what components I was going to use, and even had an idea of what I wanted in terms of the load. I knew from outset that I wasn't going to be a master at reloading on the first day. I'm still learning, but since I'm reloading .45ACP, it is the most forgiving and is the easiest on the brass since it is at the low-end of the scale pressure wise. Long brass life and a very forgiving platform lets me make some mistakes that aren't dangerous for the gun or myself.

I am also cognizant of the fact that I am working with one of the "easiest" to reload calibers. I try and keep from developing sloppy habits. My next goal is to move up to 223/5.56 on the AR platform. I'm working out the budgets and timing (hopefully I can beat any, ahem, "climage" changes...) to get the rifle, which I plan on building from a kit upper and an 80% lower. Not for the "unregistered" nature of it but because I like to build stuff...

Did I mention that reading up on it is pretty important?
Old 12-03-2012, 9:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog650 View Post
Buy the ABC's of Reloading, and read it twice.

http://www.amazon.com/ABCs-Reloading...s+of+reloading
I can also recommend this tome. I read it at least twice. I also got "Reloading for Handgunners" since I was doing pistol reloading.

http://www.amazon.com/Reloading-Hand...or+handgunners
Old 12-03-2012, 9:39 PM

I thought that kit came with a reloading book?
Old 12-03-2012, 10:46 PM

my advice would be to develope good habits and follow them always.

Go slow and be consistant do not get in a hurry and get a hammer inertia boolet puller it will help ease your mid if you think you messed up something.

You can use the hammer to take apart aany suspect rounds and NEVER shoot off anyhting that you think is not right.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:22 PM
┬──┬ \_(ツ)
CGN Contributor

Practice with dummy rounds, no primer no powder. You want to make sure you get it right the first time before you go all in.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Whitman + Cooley or Harris = a rash of gun control California has never seen the likes of.
-Gene
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post
If you're not voting why are you even opining?
Brown has a track record of not bowing to Dem pressure on guns.
-Gene
Quote:
Originally Posted by fighterpilot562 View Post
Well if it makes you feel better, I also support the KKK, NeoNazis, WestBoro, Skins, and any other groups right to assemble
Old 12-04-2012, 5:17 AM

Read, read, read, watch youtube, watch youtube, watch youtube. Then find someone in your area that uses the RCBS you have, and lure them in with some beer and pizza to show you the ropes. Nothing like first hand experience with guidance.
Old 12-04-2012, 2:26 PM

Best advice I can give you is to always keep that woman happy if she drops surprises like that at your feet!!

Other than that read ABC's (it's online for ipad etc if you don't want a hardcopy), download guides from different component manufacturers you end up using, and watch youtube. There's a ton of good videos out there.