Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 12-18-2012, 2:45 PM
Veteran Member

Default Reloading Manual/Book

I am about to get started back into reloading (did it years ago-using a friend's equipment) and in the process of buying equipment. What manual would you recommend? I know Lee, Horanday, Lyman makes reloading manuals but is one better than the others? Most of my equipment will be Lee, so make stick with Lee?
"The only thing necessary for the triumph [of evil] is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke speech of 23 April 1770, "Thoughts on the Cause of the Present Discontents," delivered to the House of Commons.
Old 12-18-2012, 4:08 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisCA View Post
I am about to get started back into reloading (did it years ago-using a friend's equipment) and in the process of buying equipment. What manual would you recommend? I know Lee, Horanday, Lyman makes reloading manuals but is one better than the others? Most of my equipment will be Lee, so make stick with Lee?
Lee would be a good one, as you will be immunized from the inherent sales pitch. The how to is really good and it probably has the most numbers of powders and calibers.
Old 12-18-2012, 4:09 PM

I think it's personal preference. Almost 18 years ago, before I had a computer, I started out with Speer's #12 and Nosler's IV manuals. Both have good 'How To Reload' sections and were quite helpful, along with the monthly reloading articles in HANDGUNS magazine, in teaching me how to reload my own ammo.

I've since added Sierra's V manual, as well as all of the free reloading pamphlets, you can request from the various powder manufacturers.

The ABCs Of Reloading is another that gets recommended often, to new reloaders, but you can't go wrong with any of them.

Get a couple, few, so you can cross reference reloading data.

Also, unless you're shooting brand new cartridges, you can get used, past versions for cheap off of Ebay and save a few bucks.

Chris
Old 12-18-2012, 4:29 PM

Its funny that you said Lee, Hornady, & Lyman. Those are the 3 I would recommend and that's the order I would recommend them. 4th would be the Sierra manual. For a beginner I would not recommend the Nosler manual, it does not provide cartridge overall lengths, not too good for someone just starting.
Old 12-18-2012, 7:49 PM

The Lyman #49 book is a very good first book. Covers different bullets from most manufacturers and has plenty of lead data.

The Sierra #5 manual is most excellent. I like the way it's organized and there's lots of good reloading info including a section specifically for loading service rifles.

The new first ever Berger manual is also awesome. The data looks very complete, lots of different powders are listed. The sections on seating depth, COAL, CBTO, and BC are well thought and welcome information.

I don't like the Speer #14 manual. Not a lot of powders listed. Most data from different people are fairly close together, Speer seems to be in a whole other ball park. They also seem to favor ATK products, go figure. Nosler #6 was a disappointment also. I don't own any Hornady books.

Vihtavuori #4 book is an interesting read, they go into a lot of detail just talking about gun powder. The data however is old, and new data can be had on their web site.

Ken Waters Pet Loads is also a fun read, but like the Vihtavuori book not for the data.
Old 12-19-2012, 11:27 AM
Calguns Addict

Lyman #49 hands down the best. It is good to have several to cross reference and get different bullet weights/powders.
Old 12-19-2012, 3:18 PM
Calguns Addict

Location: Currently in a shanty I made in the river bottom by Eastvale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Steele View Post
Lee would be a good one, as you will be immunized from the inherent sales pitch. The how to is really good and it probably has the most numbers of powders and calibers.
+1

As much crap as I talk about the Book of Lee, I will say this, they DO have a HUGE recipe section. The second biggest collection of recipes can only be found on the internet...

This of course pisses me off because I expect them to have every powder tested with every bullet weight but they do not... But they still have a great selection.
Old 12-20-2012, 6:38 PM

if you are buying lee gear and looking for the ins and outs on how to reload i strongly recommend modern reloading 2nd edition by richard lee.

if you are looking for load data in my opinion they are all different so they are all the same.

point being what load works for my gear may not work for you, that's why they the data is given in a range. you can get the latest load data from the powder manufacturer for free off their website

my $.02

Last edited by the led farmer; 12-20-2012 at 7:05 PM.. Reason: uniformity
Old 12-20-2012, 10:24 PM

Default books

ive got 4 or 5 books....if i could only have 1 it would be sierra --- because it has sections on gas gun rifle ammo...number 2 would be barnes because im trying to switch over to lead-free loads in all my guns for the condor range ... this whole stupid state will prob go lead-free someday so doing the work-ups now....cheers...
Old 12-21-2012, 12:09 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horton Fenty View Post
The Lyman #49 book is a very good first book. Covers different bullets from most manufacturers and has plenty of lead data.
I know a lot of people who use it and I own a copy but honestly, I can't stand that manual. If you have a common caliber, it's okay but when you start looking at loads for Makarov, 7.65 Argentine, 7.5 MAS (which isn't even listed in the manual), you are setting yourself up for disappointment. Plus, they don't provide data for Vihta Vuori propellants. Lee's modern reloading is one that you should have.

Stores that sell Ram Shot will usually give you a manual from them. Their "True Blue", "Enforcer" and "Tac" powders are really becoming popular. Their prices are very competitive, as well. I suggest you try a pound, or two (when you get the time).

The United States Veterans Administration: Neglecting America's veterans since 1930!!!

ATTENTION VETERANS! Have you been mistreated and/or neglected by your VA Hospital staff? Send complaints to: complaint@jointcommission.org
Old 12-21-2012, 12:24 AM
I need more cowbell!!!!!!
CGN Contributor

I have a few of the major manufactures "bibles". I like the cheap Loadbooks, they give a Cliff Notes version of all bibles for that single caliber.

http://www.loadbooks.com/untitled.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEDaytonaRydr View Post

Stores that sell Ram Shot will usually give you a manual from them. Their "True Blue", "Enforcer" and "Tac" powders are really becoming popular. Their prices are very competitive, as well. I suggest you try a pound, or two (when you get the time).

I have seen their powder and have yet to try it. What are you loading with their product? Right now I am doing 5.56, .45 and 9mm

Last edited by Synergy; 12-21-2012 at 12:27 AM..
Old 12-21-2012, 2:16 AM
Janitors assistant
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Lyman 49 hardcover!
Old 12-21-2012, 9:36 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy View Post
I have seen their powder and have yet to try it. What are you loading with their product? Right now I am doing 5.56, .45 and 9mm
For .223/5.56, you would use Ramshot "Tac". For 45, 9mm and 40 S&W, you would use "True Blue". Watch for sales and you should be able to get a pound of both for around $40 total.

You can also try "Silhouette" and "zip" for pistols, and "X-Terminator" for rifles but I've never used them, nor talked to anyone who has.

Reloading data also listed here:
http://www.ramshot.com/wp-content/up...dgun_rifle.pdf

The United States Veterans Administration: Neglecting America's veterans since 1930!!!

ATTENTION VETERANS! Have you been mistreated and/or neglected by your VA Hospital staff? Send complaints to: complaint@jointcommission.org