Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-02-2012, 10:32 PM
jellybill jellybill is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 56
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default Need advice on this ak by Riflegear

I've been looking at this Century Arms N-Pap 7.62 and am seriously considering buying it.

http://www.riflegear.com/p-1848-cent...side-rail.aspx


From the reading I've done, it is a Yugo M70, which is a plus, except, like all Yugo AKs, it does NOT have chrome lined barrel.

This is a 47, so I'll be feeding it Wolf Military Classic 124 gr. They're not corrosive, so that shouldn't be a concern.

BUT, I am buying an AK...something about my ARs having a more durable and tougher barrel than my AK just doesn't sit right with me. Makes me wonder why I'm buying it in the first place.

Yes, I do have plans on shooting this AK and leaving it uncleaned for 2+ years, although with non-corrosive Wolf 7.62.

Any owners want to chime in with their view on this? Or just let me know where to find a chrome-lined replacement barrel for the Zastava M70? I think they have different dimensions than the AKM barrels... Thanks for the advice, Calgunners.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-02-2012, 10:44 PM
fasteddie5's Avatar
fasteddie5 fasteddie5 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Lost Angeles
Posts: 272
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

I just ordered that same rifle from turners yesterday, so can't say much about it yet.


I have read that the non Chrome lined barrel increases accuracy and it doesn't make the barrel any less tougher or durable. Shooting corrosive ammo is not a problem either, as long as you clean it after shooting.

Last edited by fasteddie5; 12-02-2012 at 10:55 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-02-2012, 10:54 PM
jellybill jellybill is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 56
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Is that so? Cool, I guess we share the same taste. She is a looker, uh?


No, I won't be shooting any corrosives through it, can't even find any with 7.62. I will be shooting WPA exclusively.

You're not concerned with the non chromed barrel? I know it'll be more accurate, but that's not my main reason for buying it. I wanted to shoot it anytime, anywhere, and pretty much NEVER clean it. What I can't do with my ARs basically...
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-02-2012, 11:02 PM
jellybill jellybill is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 56
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

I want to clarify that I will clean it at some point, but I do plan on shooting and putting it away for years at a time, without paying attention to it. That's what I'm looking for from an AK. Don't even want to thing about it unless I'm shooting it, got enough things to do that I don't need to worry about cleaning on a schedule...
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-02-2012, 11:12 PM
fasteddie5's Avatar
fasteddie5 fasteddie5 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Lost Angeles
Posts: 272
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Yes, she is definitely a looker. I love the way it looks, as it was one of the reasons I got it.

I am not at all concerned with the barrel being non chrome lined after reading about it.

As far cleaning goes, its an AK, clean it when you want.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-03-2012, 3:37 AM
baih777 baih777 is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Torrance
Posts: 2,457
iTrader: 45 / 100%
Default

there are two versions of that rifle. the first version had the heavy duty front trunion but had some feeding issues with the double stack mag conversion. this is supoose to have been corrected with the newer N version that you are looking at. the furniture does look like it came from Ikea on both versions. the one that riflegear has should be a double stack mag type. not sure which version turners has. last i heard turners was selling the single stack version and those worked ok.
it is a solid rifle and shoots straight.
__________________
Been gone too long. It's been 15 to 20 years since i had to shelf my guns. Those early years sucked.
I really miss the good old Pomona Gun Shows.
I'm Back.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-03-2012, 3:57 AM
jellybill jellybill is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 56
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by baih777 View Post
there are two versions of that rifle. the first version had the heavy duty front trunion but had some feeding issues with the double stack mag conversion. this is supoose to have been corrected with the newer N version that you are looking at. the furniture does look like it came from Ikea on both versions. the one that riflegear has should be a double stack mag type. not sure which version turners has. last i heard turners was selling the single stack version and those worked ok.
it is a solid rifle and shoots straight.
Thanks for the heads up, Baih. So there's a potential problem with the double stack too? Or are you saying that the one Riflegear is carrying now is a double stack that has had the feeding problem rectified?

I'm sure it's shoots straight too, given that the barrel is not chrome lined. But my concern is more of a durability type since I am thinking of rust resistance from not cleaning. That's my main concern.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-03-2012, 4:31 AM
Dhena81's Avatar
Dhena81 Dhena81 is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: San Diego
Posts: 4,547
iTrader: 33 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellybill View Post
Is that so? Cool, I guess we share the same taste. She is a looker, uh?


No, I won't be shooting any corrosives through it, can't even find any with 7.62. I will be shooting WPA exclusively.

You're not concerned with the non chromed barrel? I know it'll be more accurate, but that's not my main reason for buying it. I wanted to shoot it anytime, anywhere, and pretty much NEVER clean it. What I can't do with my ARs basically...
Let me tell you that you don't need to clean an AR either you just need to oil the BCG every now and then.

I'd be worried about forming rust in any bore that's not SS or protected by chrome lining or something similar. Even a SS or chrome lined bore can rust though I hardly call pulling an oily patch down the bore every so often cleaning.

Saying a chrome lined barrel is always going to be less accurate than one that is not is a very general statement and not always the case.

I wasn't aware that Yugo's that came from the Zastava factory didn't come with a CL barrel at least its a CHF barrel. If you wanted to get crazy you could always press the barrel out and get it melonited
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-03-2012, 4:41 AM
nicoroshi's Avatar
nicoroshi nicoroshi is offline
www.Buildyourownak.info
CGN Contributor - Lifetime
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Da East Bay Bro!
Posts: 3,697
iTrader: 23 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhena81 View Post
Let me tell you that you don't need to clean an AR either you just need to oil the BCG every now and then.

I'd be worried about forming rust in any bore that's not SS or protected by chrome lining or something similar. Even a SS or chrome lined bore can rust though I hardly call pulling an oily patch down the bore every so often cleaning.

Saying a chrome lined barrel is always going to be less accurate than one that is not is a very general statement and not always the case.

I wasn't aware that Yugo's that came from the Zastava factory didn't come with a CL barrel at least its a CHF barrel. If you wanted to get crazy you could always press the barrel out and get it melonited

What?
All the Chrome and stainless steel I have ever seen cannot rust.
Stainless does oxidize but it's clear not redish in color.
Where are you getting your metal?

Last edited by nicoroshi; 12-03-2012 at 4:44 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-03-2012, 4:49 AM
jellybill jellybill is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 56
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Nicoroshi, I think I've read one of your post on some other forum about a barrel replacement you got for you M70. Is that you?

If so, is your M70 the same one as what riflegear is carrying?
http://www.riflegear.com/p-1848-cent...side-rail.aspx

If so, how's that new barrel treating you?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-03-2012, 5:13 AM
Capybara's Avatar
Capybara Capybara is offline
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Ventura County
Posts: 10,657
iTrader: 19 / 100%
Default

You are one of those people I secretly envy. I shoot my guns and clean them the same day usually. If I have a dirty gun in the safe for more than a few weeks, I secretly stress out over it, even my $99.00 Big 5 Mosin. I used to race motocross when I kid and my bikes always were pristine and carried into multiple seasons. I am just wired to clean and maintain things, they last longer and work better.

But I wish I were like you and could have a Glock and an AK-47 and never clean them. But I would freak out. FWIW, that is a great gun, although I have just shot one, have never owned one. Personally I think that chrome barrels are great but not that important to the long term health of your gun unless you were shooting corrosive.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-03-2012, 5:50 AM
tujungatoes's Avatar
tujungatoes tujungatoes is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: LA/SFV
Posts: 7,966
iTrader: 37 / 100%
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Jellybill, don't worry about durability on the non chrome barrel. You'd have to put many tens of thousands of through it to shoot it out. Chances are that barrel will be around long after you're gone.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Elky View Post
If your a man who wears white sunglasses, your probably a douche bag
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSACANNONEER View Post
I've been know to cross dress and go the other way at certain events.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-03-2012, 6:11 AM
NHP1127's Avatar
NHP1127 NHP1127 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 985
iTrader: 47 / 100%
Default

Sorry, but why would anyone purposely NOT clean their weapon? Any firearm should be serviced properly for both safety and functionality.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-03-2012, 6:42 AM
MUKAK's Avatar
MUKAK MUKAK is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Irvine
Posts: 3,716
iTrader: 129 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHP1127 View Post
Sorry, but why would anyone purposely NOT clean their weapon? Any firearm should be serviced properly for both safety and functionality.
not cleaning your weapon is like not wiping your AZZ to me
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-03-2012, 7:20 AM
backstrap backstrap is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 785
iTrader: 40 / 98%
Default

Feeding issues on these paps is driving me nuts. I can fix them faster than box them and send em back but they really need to put more effort in the feeding probs. I have one of the new ones I just fixed. I hope it was a fluke.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 12-03-2012, 8:20 AM
Banana_hands's Avatar
Banana_hands Banana_hands is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: AZ
Posts: 493
iTrader: 31 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUKAK View Post
not cleaning your weapon is like not wiping your AZZ to me
Wait, your supposed to wipe your a**? This explains so much!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12-03-2012, 8:41 AM
fasteddie5's Avatar
fasteddie5 fasteddie5 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Lost Angeles
Posts: 272
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by baih777 View Post
last i heard turners was selling the single stack version and those worked ok.
That's not what I wanted to hear...LOL.

I hope I get the double stack version.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 12-03-2012, 9:25 AM
fasteddie5's Avatar
fasteddie5 fasteddie5 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Lost Angeles
Posts: 272
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Just checked on Century Arms website, and according to the model# on my reciept, Turners did order me the LO-CAP(RI2089-N)version, not the HI-CAP(RI2087-N)like Rifle Gears.

Do the LO-CAP versions accept double stack mags, or, can they be made too?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 12-03-2012, 10:01 AM
Dhena81's Avatar
Dhena81 Dhena81 is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: San Diego
Posts: 4,547
iTrader: 33 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicoroshi View Post
What?
All the Chrome and stainless steel I have ever seen cannot rust.
Stainless does oxidize but it's clear not redish in color.
Where are you getting your metal?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stainless_steel

I've seen SS slightly rust on cooling towers at the Long Beach docks too. It's obvious its less likely than carbon steel to rust but it won't last forever.

CL can wear out have you ever seen rust on a CL barrel extension?

The point I was trying to make is you should still have a minimum maintenance you perform on any weapon regardless of material. Copper can even oxidize enough to compromise the metals integrity.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 12-03-2012, 11:39 AM
jellybill jellybill is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 56
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capybara View Post
You are one of those people I secretly envy. I shoot my guns and clean them the same day usually. If I have a dirty gun in the safe for more than a few weeks, I secretly stress out over it, even my $99.00 Big 5 Mosin. I used to race motocross when I kid and my bikes always were pristine and carried into multiple seasons. I am just wired to clean and maintain things, they last longer and work better.

But I wish I were like you and could have a Glock and an AK-47 and never clean them. But I would freak out. FWIW, that is a great gun, although I have just shot one, have never owned one. Personally I think that chrome barrels are great but not that important to the long term health of your gun unless you were shooting corrosive.
No, I'm like that too, Capybara. If I don't clean the AR after a range trip, I feel like I've got something on the checklist that just needs to be checked off, not a relaxing thing.

But that's why I want the AK. I want to shoot it and leave it, shoot it again and leave it, and come back 2 years later and clean it when I feel like it.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 12-03-2012, 11:43 AM
jellybill jellybill is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 56
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tujungatoes View Post
Jellybill, don't worry about durability on the non chrome barrel. You'd have to put many tens of thousands of through it to shoot it out. Chances are that barrel will be around long after you're gone.
I know, Toes, it's not the round count I'm worried about.

I want to shoot that thing out in the rain and humidity, like the weather we had the past weekend and NOT clean it for a year afterwards. I want to drag it through mud and not have to worry about rust because I didn't clean it for 6 months.

You know what I mean? I don't know if a barrel with no chrome can deliver that.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 12-03-2012, 11:46 AM
jellybill jellybill is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 56
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHP1127 View Post
Sorry, but why would anyone purposely NOT clean their weapon? Any firearm should be serviced properly for both safety and functionality.
Because it's an AK and I can get away with it.

Because that's the kind of operating latitude I'm looking for, clean it when I feel like it, not because the limitation of the machinery REQUIRES it there on the spot.

Otherwise I'd stick with an AR.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 12-03-2012, 11:50 AM
BlackReef's Avatar
BlackReef BlackReef is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 3,597
iTrader: 20 / 100%
Default

What is the difference between the N-PAP and the WASR-10?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 12-03-2012, 11:54 AM
jellybill jellybill is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 56
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

The N-Pap is the Yugo M70, the Wasr 10 is the AKM.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 12-03-2012, 11:54 AM
BlackReef's Avatar
BlackReef BlackReef is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 3,597
iTrader: 20 / 100%
Default

ah, ok. So the M70 is a much nicer rifle than the WASR10?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 12-03-2012, 11:57 AM
jellybill jellybill is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 56
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Well, my search led me to Green Mountain Barrels, and the guy on the phone said this barrel, the AK47-1GM, is the direct replacement for the all Yugo M70s, including the N-Pap.

http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/militar...47-1970-barrel


Does anybody know if it is indeed a direct replacement for the N-Pap Yugo M70 Riflegear is carrying? If so, I'm thinking of replacing the barrel on the N-Pap with this. Not parkerized though, but it is chrome lined, a step up?
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 12-03-2012, 12:02 PM
jellybill jellybill is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 56
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackReef View Post
ah, ok. So the M70 is a much nicer rifle than the WASR10?
Except it doesn't have a chrome lined barrel, something I find hard to believe/accept for an AK 47.

Yes, the M70 is tougher and better made than any AK out there, it seems. Except no chrome lined barrel. Curious, uh?
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 12-03-2012, 3:40 PM
ZX-10R's Avatar
ZX-10R ZX-10R is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Live in NorCal and work in SoCal...Gun laws in CA are terrible.
Posts: 4,124
iTrader: 9 / 100%
Default

You will be more than fine.
__________________
USA**************************************************USA
03 Chevy Trailblazer , 06 Kawi ZX-10R, 05 Kawi KX250F, 07 Yamaha YZ85 - PSL , AES-10B, (2x) WASR 10/63, Draco AK Pistol, Polish Underfolder, Polish Tantal, Daniel Defense M4, Franken-AR, 1945 Izzy M44, 1936 Tula 91/30, Remington 870 Express, Smith and Wesson M&P 45, FN FNP-9, COLT 1911 XSE . NYC in CA. [COLOR="Red"][B]Obama S(_)[KS!
Southwest Sales Manager -SolidWorks.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 12-03-2012, 3:48 PM
baih777 baih777 is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Torrance
Posts: 2,457
iTrader: 45 / 100%
Default

Yes it can be modified. But i have not heard any info on the second version single stack. On the earlier versions they used a single stack bolt with the double stack mag. The bolts are different. If you have to change the bolt you have to check the headspace. If it needs to be adjusted its going to cost you. If you really want the double stack version then look at the one at riflegear look or ask turners if they will change your order. (Good luck)


Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddie5 View Post
Just checked on Century Arms website, and according to the model# on my reciept, Turners did order me the LO-CAP(RI2089-N)version, not the HI-CAP(RI2087-N)like Rifle Gears.

Do the LO-CAP versions accept double stack mags, or, can they be made too?
__________________
Been gone too long. It's been 15 to 20 years since i had to shelf my guns. Those early years sucked.
I really miss the good old Pomona Gun Shows.
I'm Back.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 12-03-2012, 4:15 PM
NHP1127's Avatar
NHP1127 NHP1127 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 985
iTrader: 47 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellybill View Post
Because it's an AK and I can get away with it.

Because that's the kind of operating latitude I'm looking for, clean it when I feel like it, not because the limitation of the machinery REQUIRES it there on the spot.

Otherwise I'd stick with an AR.
Got it. You leave a big chunk of mud in your barrel to dry and then come back in 6 months and fire it? Sweet!
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 12-03-2012, 4:27 PM
nicoroshi's Avatar
nicoroshi nicoroshi is offline
www.Buildyourownak.info
CGN Contributor - Lifetime
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Da East Bay Bro!
Posts: 3,697
iTrader: 23 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhena81 View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stainless_steel

I've seen SS slightly rust on cooling towers at the Long Beach docks too. It's obvious its less likely than carbon steel to rust but it won't last forever.

CL can wear out have you ever seen rust on a CL barrel extension?

The point I was trying to make is you should still have a minimum maintenance you perform on any weapon regardless of material. Copper can even oxidize enough to compromise the metals integrity.
[from your wikipedia quote]
"Stainless steel does not readily corrode, rust or stain with water as ordinary steel does, but despite the name it is not fully stain-proof, most notably under low oxygen, high salinity, or poor circulation environments".

This is the key. Letting the stainless steel oxidize. It's this clear oxidation of the alloy that protects it against rust.
Extremely high salt content (say left on the beach for a few months) can corrode almost anything but even stainless steel resists that environment better than any other metal I know because of it's chromium content, and that clear oxidation layer.
Stainless steel barrel would have to be SEVERLY abused to show rust as would a Chrome lined bore.
I'm with you on cleaning though. Even though they 'can' take the abuse is not an excuse for neglect.

As for copper the green patina (oxidation) offers extreme protection for that metal.
Some churches have copper roofs more than 500 years old that are made of copper, left out in the weather year round, and allowed to oxidize (the green patina) to protect the metal below.

Perhaps I should mention that I am a union sheet metal worker, and have been for the last 26 years working galvanized, copper, stainless, and aluminum.

As for the OP's question directed at me.
Yes, I own an M70 re-weld that i replaced the barrel with a chrome lined one from Green Mountain.
Extremely happy with that rifle, and barrel although I don't recommend trashing a perfectly good non chrome lined barrel to change it for one from Green mountain.
My most accurate AK is an original barrel milled M64 that is not chrome lined.
IMHO you should shoot it first then decide if the expense is worth it to you or not.
BTW I can clean an AK in about 4 minutes with some ezzox, a toothbrush, and a bore snake. Why wouldn't you want to take care of your rifle if it's that simple?

Last edited by nicoroshi; 12-03-2012 at 4:35 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 12-03-2012, 4:36 PM
fasteddie5's Avatar
fasteddie5 fasteddie5 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Lost Angeles
Posts: 272
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by baih777 View Post
Yes it can be modified. But i have not heard any info on the second version single stack. On the earlier versions they used a single stack bolt with the double stack mag. The bolts are different. If you have to change the bolt you have to check the headspace. If it needs to be adjusted its going to cost you. If you really want the double stack version then look at the one at riflegear look or ask turners if they will change your order. (Good luck)
Thanks baih777,

I did call turners and asked the guy to change my order to the hi cap double stack version instead, he said sure. I just hope he does...
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 12-03-2012, 5:36 PM
tujungatoes's Avatar
tujungatoes tujungatoes is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: LA/SFV
Posts: 7,966
iTrader: 37 / 100%
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Jellybill, you seem to be under the impression that a chrome lined bore is somehow indestructible/un-rustable. This is not the case. If your intention is to drag your rifle through the mud and forget about it till the next time you use it....it's gonna get f**ked up. Wether or not your barrel is chrome lined is irrelevant. You're still going to get rust at the muzzle, breach, gas port...hell what about the receiver? Replacing a perfectly good barrel with one that is chrome lined specifically to neglect it and assuming its magically going to be ok is IMO idiotic.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Elky View Post
If your a man who wears white sunglasses, your probably a douche bag
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSACANNONEER View Post
I've been know to cross dress and go the other way at certain events.

Last edited by tujungatoes; 12-03-2012 at 5:48 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 12-03-2012, 6:15 PM
baih777 baih777 is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Torrance
Posts: 2,457
iTrader: 45 / 100%
Default

listen to the others about the chrome lined barrels. if you buy the PAP learn how to take care of it. if you shoot corrosive ammo, clean it asap. when i get home i use windex or WD40, ir even run the bore snake with windex down the barrel. then within a week i really take it apart and clean good. you need to even clean the gas port. i use a cigar pipe cleaner.
if you really want a chrome lined barrel, learn to build a homebuilt AK. i have done a few and have never even thought about a chrome lined barrel.
__________________
Been gone too long. It's been 15 to 20 years since i had to shelf my guns. Those early years sucked.
I really miss the good old Pomona Gun Shows.
I'm Back.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 12-03-2012, 8:11 PM
jellybill jellybill is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 56
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Will probably pull the trigger on this thing then, not to mention Riflegear is out of all the Arsenals, so not a lot of choices there.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 12-04-2012, 5:29 AM
TANK1135 TANK1135 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 288
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicoroshi View Post
What?
All the Chrome and stainless steel I have ever seen cannot rust.
Stainless does oxidize but it's clear not redish in color.
Where are you getting your metal?
There is a stainless steal that rusts [most car exhaust sytems].You never seen a rusty chrome bumper.Chrome lined or not you still need to clean the bore.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 12-04-2012, 6:12 AM
Quiet's Avatar
Quiet Quiet is offline
short bus driver
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: the 909
Posts: 18,877
iTrader: 10 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackReef View Post
What is the difference between the N-PAP and the WASR-10?
N-PAP = Serbian
WASR-10 = Romanian

Both are imported into the USA in a single-stack magazine "sporting purpose" configuration and Century Arms modifies them to be Fed 922r compliant & to accept standard double-stack AK magazines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackReef View Post
ah, ok. So the M70 is a much nicer rifle than the WASR10?
Serbian's have better quality control than the Romanians.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellybill View Post
Except it doesn't have a chrome lined barrel, something I find hard to believe/accept for an AK 47.

Yes, the M70 is tougher and better made than any AK out there, it seems. Except no chrome lined barrel. Curious, uh?
Yugoslavia (country that no longer exists) had no natural resources to make chrome. Which is why the AKs and SKSs they made did not have chrome lined barrels.

Serbia (one of the many countries that use to be part of Yugoslavia) still does not have the local resources to make chrome, which is why the firearms they make do not have chrome lined barrels.
__________________


"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

Last edited by Quiet; 12-04-2012 at 6:14 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 12-04-2012, 6:19 AM
Quiet's Avatar
Quiet Quiet is offline
short bus driver
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: the 909
Posts: 18,877
iTrader: 10 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddie5 View Post
Just checked on Century Arms website, and according to the model# on my reciept, Turners did order me the LO-CAP(RI2089-N)version, not the HI-CAP(RI2087-N)like Rifle Gears.

Do the LO-CAP versions accept double stack mags, or, can they be made too?
No, the "LO-CAP" version does not accept double-stack AK magazines.

They are imported into the USA as single-stack and Century Arms modifies them to accept double-stack.

You could do it yourself, by widening the magwell (dremel). Which is what Century Arms does and why some AK magazines will wobble in their AK "HI-CAP" variants.
__________________


"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 12-04-2012, 8:41 AM
fasteddie5's Avatar
fasteddie5 fasteddie5 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Lost Angeles
Posts: 272
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet View Post
No, the "LO-CAP" version does not accept double-stack AK magazines.
Thanks Quiet.

I just hope the guy changed my order, I'd rather not do it myself.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 12-04-2012, 9:49 AM
Dhena81's Avatar
Dhena81 Dhena81 is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: San Diego
Posts: 4,547
iTrader: 33 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicoroshi View Post
[from your wikipedia quote]
"Stainless steel does not readily corrode, rust or stain with water as ordinary steel does, but despite the name it is not fully stain-proof, most notably under low oxygen, high salinity, or poor circulation environments".

This is the key. Letting the stainless steel oxidize. It's this clear oxidation of the alloy that protects it against rust.
Extremely high salt content (say left on the beach for a few months) can corrode almost anything but even stainless steel resists that environment better than any other metal I know because of it's chromium content, and that clear oxidation layer.
Stainless steel barrel would have to be SEVERLY abused to show rust as would a Chrome lined bore.
I'm with you on cleaning though. Even though they 'can' take the abuse is not an excuse for neglect.

As for copper the green patina (oxidation) offers extreme protection for that metal.
Some churches have copper roofs more than 500 years old that are made of copper, left out in the weather year round, and allowed to oxidize (the green patina) to protect the metal below.

Perhaps I should mention that I am a union sheet metal worker, and have been for the last 26 years working galvanized, copper, stainless, and aluminum.
Fair enough you obviously know more about metals than me. I guess the few cases I've seen either weren't rust just oxidation and I thought it was or just extreme examples. The copper I was talking about was a welded joint and I was told it was because the contractor probably didn't remove the flux. The cooling tower incident was probably oxidation but it was near the beach so maybe the salinity of the air from being near the ocean was a contributing factor.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:27 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2016, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.