Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 12-02-2012, 10:25 PM
Banned

Made in Japan Winchester and Browning are good to go.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:38 PM

What about Henry? Aren't those American made, I couldn't comment as to the quality but something else to think about nonetheless.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:44 PM

If the quality is anything like my Snowpeak gear, Seki City Spyderco's, Honda, amazing green tea, etc etc then this should be an upgrade for Winchester products. Japan makes quality stuff, period.
Old 12-03-2012, 6:18 AM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

The Mirokus are beautifully made, I have always been impressed with them. If you want made in America, buy C&R.
Old 12-03-2012, 7:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RugerNo1 View Post
FNH Belgium makes Winchester and Browning shotguns.
Most of the Brownings are made in Japan... Espcially the BPS, and Citori lines... Only the 10K+ Superposed Brownings are made in Belgium.. The Winchester SX3 is made in Japan and the SXP is made in Turkey... The Winchester doubles are made in Belgium..
Old 12-03-2012, 8:35 AM
Veteran Member

Default Japan VS. USA Firearms

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR296 View Post
Been looking at getting a hunting rifle. I decided I want a 30/30 Lever Action. I know there are a lot of different opinions regarding Lever Actions as hunters Vs this and that but thats what I want.
I just learned today the Model 94 is now made in Japan. So dissappointed. Guess I will look seriously at the Marlin 336.
I currently own an 80s model 94 but it is a commemorative rifle and never fired. I have it listed for sale but with this new info I probably should take it off the market for awhile
For the most part, firearms manufactured in Japan are as good, if not better than many american made firearms. Miroku is a well known company that makes quality shotguns and rifles and have done so for many years. Yet, there are some who want to bash them because they are "Japanese" built. Well, so is Honda and Toyota. Many car buyers believe, and rightly so that these are well built cars.

Many, including myself love Belgium made Browning A5's. They are often prized over Japanese made A5's...........yet, both are excellent and neither are made in the USA. Heck.....is Browning even an American company anymore???

There is a Calgunner in this post that is bashing Marlin because they were bought out by Remington. Does that mean we shouldn't buy Remington now? I have a first year Marlin XL7 and another XL7 that was made after the merger of Marlin and Remington. I've owned over 100 firearms in my life and handled thousands more and I defy anyone to show me the difference in the operating and fit and finish of either Marlin. It doesn't mean you won't find a dog made by either now and then, but it's still an inexpensive rifle that works just fine, regardless who manufactured it.

Look, there are good and there are average and there are poor firearm manufactures; and, the good ones sometime lay an egg and make a bad firearm. Let's stop generalizing the difference between american and foreign made firearms. Many gun owners prize foriegn made European firearms. Nothing wrong with that. Just because it's made in the USA doesn't make it better......
Old 12-03-2012, 10:34 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick View Post
When did Marlin manufacture move to Remington?
About a year ago, maybe a bit longer.

I hestitate to get on the "they're all crap" bandwagon but I visit alot of gun stores and handle alot of product. I know any company can make mistakes, but the new Marlins as a matter of what the factory considers acceptable execution have poorly stained, sealed, checkered and fitted wood. It is clearly visible. The receivers, for my eye, do not appear nearly as well polished or blued.

I hope they improve in the future.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:54 AM

My PT Cruiser is made in Mexico... Quarter of a million miles on it... refuses to die
Old 12-03-2012, 10:59 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR296 View Post
Been looking at getting a hunting rifle. I decided I want a 30/30 Lever Action. I know there are a lot of different opinions regarding Lever Actions as hunters Vs this and that but thats what I want.
I just learned today the Model 94 is now made in Japan. So dissappointed. Guess I will look seriously at the Marlin 336.
I currently own an 80s model 94 but it is a commemorative rifle and never fired. I have it listed for sale but with this new info I probably should take it off the market for awhile
If you want a new US-made 30-30 rifle, look into getting a Henry.
“Political tags — such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth — are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” — Robert A. Heinlein

“It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds” — Samuel Adams
Old 12-03-2012, 11:17 AM

The Chinese invented guns. How's that for some history?
Old 12-03-2012, 11:24 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I havent read all the responses but here is my take.
I OWN an 1895 in 30-06 (didnt want the 30-40) and is made in JAPAN
Sadly, the fit and finish are extremely high quality and is way smoother, and the bluing more beautiful than the American plant ever produced. The Japanese take a lot of pride in their work and what makes me sad is that the American made ones don't even have a quarter of the quality