Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Hunting and Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hunting and Fishing Rifle, Shotgun, Handgun, Archery, Blackpowder Saltwater and Fresh Water

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 12-03-2012, 8:00 AM
vega vega is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ventura County
Posts: 2,965
iTrader: 56 / 100%
Default

Congrats on your kills!
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 12-03-2012, 8:31 AM
wicked liquid wicked liquid is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sonoma County
Posts: 137
iTrader: 10 / 100%
Default

Good lookin hogs buddy! Congrats!
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 12-03-2012, 12:26 PM
nothing4u nothing4u is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,197
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Congrats.
__________________
Politicians should only be allowed one term in office, then one term in jail.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 12-03-2012, 6:32 PM
NastyNate's Avatar
NastyNate NastyNate is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: RivKo, Peoples Republik of Kalistan
Posts: 2,367
iTrader: 78 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondMillbrae View Post
If I may...next time bring rope or heavy zip ties.

What you need to do is tie the left rear and front legs together, and then tie the right rear and front legs together. Then sling that puppy on your back like a hog back pack.

Thank me next time you get yourself a hawg.

In Christ: Raymond
Thanks for that tip. I tried this but was already wearing a pack and no matter how I rigged it couldn't seem to distribute the load properly to hump the distance out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vega View Post
Congrats on your kills!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wicked liquid View Post
Good lookin hogs buddy! Congrats!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothing4u View Post
Congrats.
Thanks fellas!
__________________
-NN
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 12-03-2012, 8:45 PM
dust feeder dust feeder is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 188
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Congrats on the kills! I saw your posts ove on jessee's too and want to hear the story. How'd you get 'em? Two quick shots or out of two seperate groups?
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 12-03-2012, 8:52 PM
NastyNate's Avatar
NastyNate NastyNate is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: RivKo, Peoples Republik of Kalistan
Posts: 2,367
iTrader: 78 / 100%
Default

Thanks DF. We picked up their tracks on Jolon Rd, it wondered off onto a small trail that led to a reservoir spillway. We spotted two hogs, rooting on the hillside about 150 yds out. We stalked to within 50-75 yds right up to a fallen oak tree that we could use as a bench rest. The rain made it real easy to get close without being heard or winded. Got settled for a shot and harvested some bacon.
We then humped them out in the mud, with waterlogged packs and muddy boots all the way back. We worked hard for these ones but well worth it. I think a bunch of JHO'ers went up to FHL last weekend but as far as I know, we were the only ones that scored. Beginners luck I guess. Just glad me and MD both got our first DIY hawgs. No guide fees for these guys!
__________________
-NN
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 12-03-2012, 8:54 PM
spectr17's Avatar
spectr17 spectr17 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Kali-fornya via Mizzurah
Posts: 1,895
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
I'll wear that rookie title with pride then. I'd rather walk 5 mi with 90 #s of waterlog and dead hog on my back then spend 4 hours digging myself out of something that could have been avoided in the first place. Getting stuck is no fun and neither is spending $200 for a rescue or asking others to help you dig yourself out because you didn't take heed to the warnings issued to you.

That said, I'm sure that I will eventually get stuck. I'll get more confident each time as I get to know the roads and one day find myself buried in soft sand asking other JHO'ers to help in digging so I don't have to drop $200 on a tow truck. I'll avoid that as long as I can though.
You did right Nate, as you noticed, not many are willing to hike in like that in the rain at FHL. Many times you'll be the only ones in the interior of a TA with no one around. That also can work against if you do drive in and get stuck, there's no one around to help. Got my Warne rings on order for the new SAvage bolt .20 ga. Can't wait to pattern that dude and get ready for FHL.

One of the 2 biggest boars I've seen taken at FHL was in 7, 300 lbs on the scale at the shack. Dude shot right behind me right before dark, blew one tusk off. He was so close to me I hopped behind an oak tree just in case. I could hear the hog feeding but never knew this hunter was even there. He killed it with 2nd shot. He looked for the blown off tusk but never found it.

There was cougar running around in there a couple years back so be careful, haven't heard or seen him since but ya never know. He stalked Pete right at dark one night, he just had his bow and his glasses fogged up on him. lol. Boy was shaking when he go to the truck.

Also, just so you know, when you look north from the north end of 7 that is Native Hunt property, it's a fenced in hunting ranch with wild boar and sheep in there. I've heard some guys have taken a shot across that valley not knowing where the boundary fence is. It sure looks great when you see the black dots on the hills over that way but be careful on the north end and seeing hogs across that meadow on the hills above.

Now your challenge is to beat Westy's 3 for 3 on his first 3 trips on hogs at FHL.

Last edited by spectr17; 12-03-2012 at 9:09 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 12-03-2012, 9:27 PM
NastyNate's Avatar
NastyNate NastyNate is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: RivKo, Peoples Republik of Kalistan
Posts: 2,367
iTrader: 78 / 100%
Default

I'm not afraid of a little walking. Pack, rifle, forced march - it's like old times again but more fun. Thanks for the tips on the boundaries and the cat. I've heard some nasty stories about those things. I haven't graduated to bow yet so hopefully if I do run into one, I'll have my rifle and pistol to deal with the threat.

I'm up for that challenge. Maybe I can set a record on JHO and then I'll never have to worry about finding hunting partners. Save me some gas money and driving time!
__________________
-NN
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 12-03-2012, 9:28 PM
NastyNate's Avatar
NastyNate NastyNate is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: RivKo, Peoples Republik of Kalistan
Posts: 2,367
iTrader: 78 / 100%
Default

You gonna run that Savage .20 Ga for the Pres Day FHL Hunt?
__________________
-NN
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 12-03-2012, 9:38 PM
shooterbill shooterbill is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Beaumont
Posts: 1,074
iTrader: 34 / 100%
Default

Congrats. Give me a call next time. I would be down to go and pick up a little bacon.
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 12-03-2012, 9:47 PM
NastyNate's Avatar
NastyNate NastyNate is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: RivKo, Peoples Republik of Kalistan
Posts: 2,367
iTrader: 78 / 100%
Default

Thanks Bill. I'm headed back up there for the JHO Pres Day FHL hunt next year. We can carpool. It'll save $ on gas and driving time. I've been challenged to go 3/3 on my first 3 trips to FHL so I hope you're up for some hiking bud.
__________________
-NN
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 12-04-2012, 5:56 AM
outbrakeridah's Avatar
outbrakeridah outbrakeridah is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Jose
Posts: 616
iTrader: 13 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectr17 View Post
You did right Nate, as you noticed, not many are willing to hike in like that in the rain at FHL. Many times you'll be the only ones in the interior of a TA with no one around. That also can work against if you do drive in and get stuck, there's no one around to help. Got my Warne rings on order for the new SAvage bolt .20 ga. Can't wait to pattern that dude and get ready for FHL.

One of the 2 biggest boars I've seen taken at FHL was in 7, 300 lbs on the scale at the shack. Dude shot right behind me right before dark, blew one tusk off. He was so close to me I hopped behind an oak tree just in case. I could hear the hog feeding but never knew this hunter was even there. He killed it with 2nd shot. He looked for the blown off tusk but never found it.

There was cougar running around in there a couple years back so be careful, haven't heard or seen him since but ya never know. He stalked Pete right at dark one night, he just had his bow and his glasses fogged up on him. lol. Boy was shaking when he go to the truck.

Also, just so you know, when you look north from the north end of 7 that is Native Hunt property, it's a fenced in hunting ranch with wild boar and sheep in there. I've heard some guys have taken a shot across that valley not knowing where the boundary fence is. It sure looks great when you see the black dots on the hills over that way but be careful on the north end and seeing hogs across that meadow on the hills above.

Now your challenge is to beat Westy's 3 for 3 on his first 3 trips on hogs at FHL.
That Savage will do you good. I got one too and the groupings I got on it were tight as can be. I posted some results over at JHO. I might be doing the pres. weekend hunt too. The cougar in 7 is probably still in there because the last time I was there was during deer season and I still saw tracks.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 12-04-2012, 2:40 PM
bigbossman's Avatar
bigbossman bigbossman is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: SF East Bay
Posts: 2,789
iTrader: 80 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyNate View Post
Thanks for that tip. I tried this but was already wearing a pack and no matter how I rigged it couldn't seem to distribute the load properly to hump the distance out.
I once killed a 120lb junior boar at the bottom of Dinosaur Point (by the San Luis Reservoir off of Hwy 152). Had to move him uphill for a mile or so to get back to the car, and even after gutting him beforehand at the bottom of the canyon it took me over 2 hours to drag him up that hill.

No way I was going to shoulder 120lbs of dead weight for an uphill climb, so I looped rope around both hocks and dragged him out on his back. After being dragged all that way over rocks, logs, and other assorted debris, there wasn't so much as a hair out of place on his hide.

Pigs are tough - even when they're dead. So now I just drag 'em anywhere they need to be. They don't seem to mind, and you don't damage them in the slightest.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 12-04-2012, 6:14 PM
spectr17's Avatar
spectr17 spectr17 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Kali-fornya via Mizzurah
Posts: 1,895
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbrakeridah View Post
That Savage will do you good. I got one too and the groupings I got on it were tight as can be. I posted some results over at JHO. I might be doing the pres. weekend hunt too. The cougar in 7 is probably still in there because the last time I was there was during deer season and I still saw tracks.
I'll go check out your results, thanks. I saw on Randy Wakeman's site he posted some 3" groups at 200 yds. I'm hoping for close to that. THat's impressive for a shotgun with that kind of range.

Word is there is a short cut to training area 7 instead of taking the long way around through 6 and 3 to get to 7. On Mission Rd just past the Hacienda take the first dirt road on right, it's right before the bridge. That will get you over to Sulphor SPrings Rd above the new locked gate by cantonment. It's a fairly flat road and shoudn't be that nasty in the rain.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 12-04-2012, 6:29 PM
180ls1's Avatar
180ls1 180ls1 is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: all over
Posts: 5,702
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Very nice and thanks for the report with pictures! Nice truck too, i wish i could afford one of those, i love the 07+ tundra.
__________________
Shop at Amazon via shop42a.com - up to 15% of all sales go back to Calguns Foundation!
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 12-04-2012, 8:19 PM
ADAM's Avatar
ADAM ADAM is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: L.A./O.C./R.S./S.B.
Posts: 2,401
iTrader: 117 / 99%
Default

great job man,love those picks hard hunting pays off,I am heading up there after new year,taking the wife to big horn ranch this Sunday she wants to (shoot) pig.
__________________
I said I didn"t have much use for one.Didn"t say I didn"t know how to use it. MATTHEW QUIGLEY
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 12-05-2012, 5:04 AM
outbrakeridah's Avatar
outbrakeridah outbrakeridah is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Jose
Posts: 616
iTrader: 13 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectr17 View Post
I'll go check out your results, thanks. I saw on Randy Wakeman's site he posted some 3" groups at 200 yds. I'm hoping for close to that. THat's impressive for a shotgun with that kind of range.

Word is there is a short cut to training area 7 instead of taking the long way around through 6 and 3 to get to 7. On Mission Rd just past the Hacienda take the first dirt road on right, it's right before the bridge. That will get you over to Sulphor SPrings Rd above the new locked gate by cantonment. It's a fairly flat road and shoudn't be that nasty in the rain.
Yea I know about that road. But my truck doesnt do too good in the mud so I won't chance it. I would probably just go inside the base and park at the gate and walk in on Sulphur Springs.

I have yet to test at 200. I'm waiting to see how it does at that range too.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 12-06-2012, 10:53 PM
mojack99 mojack99 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 32
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Cool story. PIg hunting for the first time is on my list for 2013
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 12-07-2012, 11:28 AM
kalguns's Avatar
kalguns kalguns is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The High Ground
Posts: 621
iTrader: 8 / 100%
Default

Nice work!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by skateboarder74 View Post
"It is better to have a gun and not need it than need a gun and not have it." ---Clarence Worley ...
"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man, free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case my enemy is a varmint. And a varmint will never quit -- ever. They're like the Viet Cong. Varmint Cong. So you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower. And that's all she wrote." --Carl Spackler--
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 12-08-2012, 10:08 PM
NastyNate's Avatar
NastyNate NastyNate is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: RivKo, Peoples Republik of Kalistan
Posts: 2,367
iTrader: 78 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 180ls1 View Post
Very nice and thanks for the report with pictures! Nice truck too, i wish i could afford one of those, i love the 07+ tundra.
Thanks. I love this truck! I just put a dual exhaust system on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADAM View Post
great job man,love those picks hard hunting pays off,I am heading up there after new year,taking the wife to big horn ranch this Sunday she wants to (shoot) pig.
Nothing ever worthwhile comes easy. GL tomorrow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojack99 View Post
Cool story. PIg hunting for the first time is on my list for 2013
Careful now, you're gonna catch the hog fever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalguns View Post
Nice work!
Thanks!
__________________
-NN
Reply With Quote
  #61  
Old 12-09-2012, 6:01 PM
ADAM's Avatar
ADAM ADAM is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: L.A./O.C./R.S./S.B.
Posts: 2,401
iTrader: 117 / 99%
Default

she got one 95 lb she is super happy she got him with AR 5.56 100yds
__________________
I said I didn"t have much use for one.Didn"t say I didn"t know how to use it. MATTHEW QUIGLEY
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 12-09-2012, 9:07 PM
NastyNate's Avatar
NastyNate NastyNate is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: RivKo, Peoples Republik of Kalistan
Posts: 2,367
iTrader: 78 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADAM View Post
she got one 95 lb she is super happy she got him with AR 5.56 100yds
Congrats to you and her bud. Looks like you got yourself a new hunting partner now!
__________________
-NN
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 6:15 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2016, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.