Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Range Cleanups
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CGSSA Range Cleanups Schedule dates and time to clean up outdoor ranges. If we don't who will?

Old 02-12-2013, 6:19 PM
CGSSA Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtturborex View Post
That pile is being spread out over the range. They are taking stuff back out onto the range.
Yeah they are and we keep putting it back. Someone mentioned putting up a before and after picture of the clean-up on the sign board at the entrance. Might not be a bad idea.
Old 02-12-2013, 9:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtturborex View Post
That pile is being spread out over the range. They are taking stuff back out onto the range.
Entropy
Old 02-13-2013, 2:05 PM

Default Thank you note

Just want to say that I, as a volunteer sent to the Borgatello family a hand written thank you note for the four roll off boxes and the toilet for the range clean up.
Old 02-13-2013, 6:21 PM
CGSSA Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by caldavid View Post
Just want to say that I, as a volunteer sent to the Borgatello family a hand written thank you note for the four roll off boxes and the toilet for the range clean up.
Very nice CalDavid!
Old 02-13-2013, 7:24 PM

Default tvs and electronics

Has anyone taken a shot up tv back home and then to a electronics recycler? I am going to go up to the gf before too long and thought i would bring s couple tvs back with me. My only concern is getting stuck with them cuz the recycler won't take them.
Old 02-13-2013, 8:07 PM

You can take busted electronics to the dump for free any time their open last i checked
Old 02-14-2013, 1:05 AM

The dump in Simi is a pain and last time I got a nail in my tire. The goodwill in thousand oaks doubles as an electronics recycling drop off. That is pretty close to me and easy. Not even sure if Simi takes electronics. They have a lot of rules
Old 02-14-2013, 8:03 AM

The SB County Transfer station allows free e-waste recycling. https://plus.google.com/112420876749...ut?gl=us&hl=en

"Households may drop-off all types of electronics free of charge. "

The South Coast Recycling and Transfer Station (SCRTS) is open to the public Monday through Saturday from 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

http://www.countyofsb.org/pwd/pwrrwm.aspx?id=3238
Old 02-14-2013, 5:18 PM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Thanks Coolcom, great information for next time I go TV hunting at the GF.
Old 02-16-2013, 5:50 AM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Anyone going up to the Glass Factory to shoot today? If you are, please post a report on how thrashed the range is please?

Last edited by Capybara; 02-16-2013 at 10:29 PM..
Old 02-16-2013, 6:56 PM

Might go tomorrow, I'll let you guys know how it looks when I get back.
Old 02-17-2013, 6:40 AM

I am going today so I'll post a pic or two when I get back.
Old 02-17-2013, 2:17 PM

Back from an afternoon of shooting....spent sometime with Doug and shot the Mosin.... Good fun....

Lots of people there but it doesn't look too bad!

Old 02-17-2013, 3:03 PM
CGSSA Coordinator

Looks pretty good. Couldn't get away this weekend but next weekend for sure.
Old 02-17-2013, 3:08 PM

Yeah I left just before Sosoomi, while I agree it wasn't that bad. When I rolled up a 8:30 I could tell there was more small garbage out there then there was last Sunday. I was a bit dishearten by what and how much people left.

After the last few weekends of shooting a few things I have noticed is no one knows how to call a cease fire. Especially this weekend there have been people very meekishly calling a cease fire then getting upset when they cant be heard over the gun fire. A large sign at the entrance indicating how to call a cease fire may help. Truth is I am sick of acting like the RSO when I am up there, it kind of scares me to think what goes on up there when theres not a Calgunner or other responsible person helping to run the line.

While the name has come from shooting bottles and other glass objects a better job should be done to enforce the no glass policy. The forestry service could get a windfall of money if they start ticketing for it more often.

If someone want some paintings there are some shot up ones of to the side of the upper range I pulled of when the dudes next to me left them. If someone goes up there this week please pull them down to the lower range pile. I was in a hurry to get out of there and forgot. It was getting a bit free and easy with the firearms so I bailed, quick.

Oh GT and Mountainman, we weren't crazy the mosin did shoot left. Then it dawned on me the Russians used to set the guns up with the bayonet mounted. Slung it into position and she was dead nuts off the bag.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_20130217_13_27_56_Panorama.jpg (102.1 KB, 30 views)
Old 02-17-2013, 3:23 PM
CGSSA Coordinator

Good to know Doug, I thought it was me with a new gun I never fired before.

Hey, can we get some of those yellow CalGuns vests? That and a whistle would do a great job of getting attention while we are there. The whistle works great to call a cease-fire.
Old 02-17-2013, 5:44 PM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Funny you should mention Doug, I am getting my NRA Certification as a Range Safety Officer and a Shotgun Instructor next weekend.

As far as a cease fire of the line, this is a huge safety issue and I have yelled loudly in the last visits to make sure that everyone puts down their guns when we are going to cease fire and change targets. As you recall from the cleanup, I have a bullhorn and I am not afraid to use it, they are only $29.99. I might suggest that having one around for the more responsible shooters is a good idea http://www.harborfreight.com/general...ren-95271.html Could be handy also when/if we break out the Calguns vests to be a weekend presence there.

I frankly don't care if people think that having a bullhorn is obnoxious if it is a key part of keeping the range safe while I am shooting there. I agree, big issue, a cease fire needs to be a cease fire or someone will get shot.

Glad to hear that your M44 is dead on with the bayo extended. You can dial it in without the bayo extended with a brass punch adjustment for the front for windage too. A few taps and you should be dead on without the bayo.

The amount of small debris up there is disappointing but I guess it is what it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougolupski View Post
After the last few weekends of shooting a few things I have noticed is no one knows how to call a cease fire. Especially this weekend there have been people very meekishly calling a cease fire then getting upset when they cant be heard over the gun fire. A large sign at the entrance indicating how to call a cease fire may help. Truth is I am sick of acting like the RSO when I am up there, it kind of scares me to think what goes on up there when theres not a Calgunner or other responsible person helping to run the line.
Old 02-27-2013, 1:38 PM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Anyone been up to the Glass Factory this week? How is the garbage situation?

I think that we had all better get in as much shooting possible over the next few months because we will probably see an earlier closing this year than last year.

VC Reloading Club on Facebook
VC Reloading Club on Twitter @VCReloading
Old 02-27-2013, 1:47 PM

I was up there last weekend with Sosoomi. There's just more small stuff up there. Each weekend it just collects more and more stuff. Its not what it was but there is a noticable amount of trash which looks bad to anyone driving/riding by.

To highlight the issue of telling peple to remove there trash. Sosoomi politely asked a gentleman to remove his TV, his comment was he was leaving it there for everyone else to shoot. It then further escalated and the gent got pretty *****y about it. The TV's still out there (out on the back hill around the 125 yard mark, I wont go out there without someone running the line).

Confronting anyone out there runs an inherent risk. Entitlement and guns dont mix well sometimes.
Old 02-27-2013, 3:37 PM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

This is exactly what Vick and Joe have mentioned, we are not law enforcement and we have to take the pleasant/helpful approach with shooters out there. Confronting criminals who have guns is not smart. If they decide to break the law and litter, it is not up to us to detain and arrest them, there is absolutely nothing we can do about "intelligence-challenged" individuals. We still need to find out from the Forest Service and or local law enforcement if there is a legal method for us to observe, record and report descriptions, license plate numbers and or photos of violators. I will consider it the fulfillment of a life goal if we can manage to have one of these people arrested and or fined. If we do, it will be from reporting, not confronting.

I have managed to have criminals arrested as a result of observation (Neighborhood Watch), it would be great if we could do the same at the Glass Factory. I would be all for installing hidden cameras, even if they were fake (kind of like a plastic Owl to keep away Crows) in combination with our signs that could say, "location in under video surveillance".

Old 02-28-2013, 6:45 PM
CGSSA Coordinator

Sorry I've been missing guys. We are really busy at work and I'm putting in a lot of OT. Have to work Friday and Saturday this week as well. So much for 4-day work weeks... we need to be up there in pairs at least. With the CalGuns vests we are "official" and people would have second thoughts about trashing the place. My approach has been subtle. More like, "Hey guys, make sure you pick up your trash or move it down to the lower pile. We prefer you didn't put that TV out there, it's really difficult to rake up all that glass. You guys hear about the clean-up we did? We hauled out 40 Tons and it was hard work. They're trying to close the place down so we need your help".... etc, etc. It probably won't work all the time but it's non-confrontational and you are making them part of the group.
Old 03-01-2013, 6:43 AM

Yes indeed there were a few words spoken to that, and I use the term lightly, gentleman. However, it was not just me...the fellow next to me on the firing line told the guy in no uncertain terms what was expected of him....

As in many cases, once positions are taken, it is unlikely that the transgressor is going to comply...but I would guess that he might think about that next time and not drag his TV out there....

On a positive note, there was a group there with some home built steel targets....the engineering and design needed some tweaking but it was refreshing to see the initiative!

Personally I think we have to keep reminding people to treat the range with respect.....with peer pressure it will get better bearing in mind there is always one segment of society that just doesn't give a damn....and we will clean up after them....haha....
Old 03-01-2013, 4:45 PM

I was up at the Glass Factory today, not shooting, just enjoying the day and I noticed a sign that said the range old be closed Mar 4 & 5 for 'maintenance'.

Anybody know what that is all about?
Old 03-01-2013, 5:09 PM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sosoomi View Post
I was up at the Glass Factory today, not shooting, just enjoying the day and I noticed a sign that said the range old be closed Mar 4 & 5 for 'maintenance'.

Anybody know what that is all about?
I haven't seen anything about that??? We will be meeting with the rangers soon so we can find out.
Old 03-02-2013, 5:59 PM
CGSSA Coordinator

A member of the GF Facebook page actually talked to a ranger at the GF. He was told they would be moving the boulders around. That's why I think they're closing Monday and Tuesday. I'm hoping to make it out there tomorrow Sunday and see how things are.
Old 03-02-2013, 6:56 PM

I'll be there tomorrow... Look for a jacked up Jeep, probably topless, if my son has anything to do with it... Look forward to seeing you!
Old 03-02-2013, 7:05 PM

Good god you better not be topless! Man I'm all bumbed out stuck in the OC and can't shoot while you guys are going to play.
Old 03-02-2013, 7:09 PM

I knew you were standing too close, Doug!

Old 03-05-2013, 10:24 AM

Default Firing line realignment

I went up today, Tuesday, to see why the closure. As anticipated the firing line has been shifted. My intention was to take a few pictures but the weather was bad and it was socked in....visibility was about 50 feet!

Anyhow, the south end has been pushed forward so the FL faces away from the road more but accentuates the previous issue of the north end of the line out in front of most of the line bordered by the parking lot.

Does that make any sense? I wish I could have taken a few pics to illustrate what I am trying to say!

Did we, Calguns that is, have any input in this.... I am slightly uncomfortable with this arrangement.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:47 AM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

I am hoping to go up Saturday to go shooting, I will take and post some pics unless someone else does beforehand.

As far as I know, CGSSA had no knowledge of this and had nothing to do with it.

Old 03-06-2013, 3:31 PM

Default Posted on edhat.com today

This was posted on edhat.com today...

"Arroyo Burro Shooting Area Trash
updated: Mar 06, 2013, 4:17 PM
Source: Los Padres National Forest

Los Padres National Forest officials announced plans to increase local partnerships along with a greater law enforcement presence at the Arroyo Burro shooting area on the Santa Barbara Ranger District.

The Arroyo Burro shooting area, sometimes referred to as the "Glass Factory," is one of Santa Barbara's more popular destinations for target shooting. However, the area has also attracted an unwanted accumulation of garbage which has created the appearance of an illegal dump site.

"If the current trend continues, and we're unable to curtail the amount of trash being left on site, there may be no other alternative than to declare the area an illegal dump site and close it altogether," said Santa Barbara District Ranger Pancho Smith. "Most folks who target shoot at this location are conscientious about using the site in a responsible manner, and it would be unfortunate if we had to restrict access."

In late January, the Calguns Shooting Sports Association organized a group of more than 90 local volunteers to remove nearly 40 tons of trash at the Arroyo Burro area. Within two weeks, a sizeable amount of litter was again piling up at the site.

Los Padres law enforcement officers, in coordination with the Santa Barbara County Sheriff's Office, are working on an agreement to expand enforcement efforts at Arroyo Burro. Educational signs are now posted advising the public that any visitor observed leaving behind trash or illegally dumping garbage will be issued a citation carrying a maximum penalty of $5,000 and/or six months in jail.

For more information, please contact the Santa Barbara Ranger District at (805) 967-3481, or online at: http://www.fs.usda.gov/lpnf."

Old 03-06-2013, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sosoomi View Post
This was posted on edhat.com today...

"Arroyo Burro Shooting Area Trash
updated: Mar 06, 2013, 4:17 PM
Source: Los Padres National Forest

"If the current trend continues, and we're unable to curtail the amount of trash being left on site, there may be no other alternative than to declare the area an illegal dump site and close it altogether," said Santa Barbara District Ranger Pancho Smith. "Most folks who target shoot at this location are conscientious about using the site in a responsible manner, and it would be unfortunate if we had to restrict access."

Well, crap, I guess I'll be helping in the cleanups.
Old 03-06-2013, 5:50 PM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

We need you at the cleanup rjpsb1. It may add some more incentive to you too that we have just secured our first rifle, some almost impossible to find ammo for our famous cleanup drawing also. Last cleanup, we gave away prizes worth a total of about $1,100.00 total. We have not yet met with the Forest Service, but will be soon. We will be scheduling our next cleanup for early May, date to be announced after we meet with the Forest Service.

I really like the sound of increased law enforcement coverage, we NEED at least one or two arrests and hopefully maximum $5,000.00 fines imposed, that could be the best thing possible to help us.

Thank you for posting this also, I tried subscribing to the EdHat thing and their signup process and password system has been a mystery, I still can't post on there.

Everyone, please stay tuned, we will announce the next cleanup and will begin a new thread on Sunday of this week after we meet with the Forst Service. I, for one, am glad to see increased participation and involvement from the Forest Service, this can only be an improvement in our chances of keeping it open. The CGSSA is forming a true partnership with the Forest Service and the County Government to keep the GF open, safer and a more fun place to shoot.

Old 03-06-2013, 6:24 PM

Capybara

Send me what you would like to post and I will post it or you... I think it is important!!!
Old 03-07-2013, 6:29 AM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Will do Sosoomi. The next thing to post will be the press release announcing the next cleanup.

Old 03-07-2013, 3:07 PM

Default Firing line realignment

Stopped by today to have a look and snap a few pics...

Old 03-07-2013, 4:50 PM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Still trying to get my bearings in looking at your pictures. Is the main line as long as it was? Can you still shoot up where the oxygen tank was?

Old 03-07-2013, 5:19 PM
CGSSA Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capybara View Post
Still trying to get my bearings in looking at your pictures. Is the main line as long as it was? Can you still shoot up where the oxygen tank was?
I thought that's what they would do with the boulders.... my gosh, look at all the trash!
Old 03-07-2013, 7:52 PM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Yes, we need some arrests and prosecutions, I really think that will help to improve things up there as far as idiots dumping.

Old 03-07-2013, 8:13 PM

Sure you can still shoot there. My concern is, and it's hard to see.... But where the line turns, mid frame... The shooters to the north are in danger... Even more so than before. You will see it when onsite.

Last edited by Sosoomi; 03-07-2013 at 8:31 PM..