Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Hunting and Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hunting and Fishing Rifle, Shotgun, Handgun, Archery, Blackpowder Saltwater and Fresh Water

Old 12-11-2012, 12:44 AM

Default The best houndsman I have ever known

In a room of a hundred life long hunters there are only a hand full of really exceptional hunters and outdoorsman. Ones who have broken it down to a science. The ones who in passing conversation can tell you more about hunting and hounds than you may be able to learn in a lifetime in the field.

This hunter and friend had such a knowledge of the land he hunted, the hounds he ran and the game he persued that he spoke almost a different language

I met Billy when I was 16. He and his group were much older than myself in their early 20's. I met him through a cousin and went on my first successful hog hunt with him. His friends were of course all older and never wanted me around but he took a liking to me and I eventually hunted with him every week sometimes twice a week until I was 30.

He was the most exceptional hunter I have ever met. He had a passion for hunting and hounds that compared to nothing else. He was meticulous. He had little interest in anything else and would talk about hunting in a way so that the conversation will never end. If we werent hunting we would talk hunting. There was simply nothing else besides hunting and family for him.

It was a compulsion, an obsession. he lost jobs for it, girlfriends over it. Believe it or not Billy lost his life over it. Wife, 2 daughters, house, job all gone. His sanity eventually slipped away from him. His obsessive compulsive personality/mentality that made him the most exceptional hunter myself and many many others thought of him as simply took his mind away. He lives with his senior citizen parents now.

I saw him the other day and that is why I am writing this. I told him about the guides service I started and talked about hounds with him. He seemed to have a hard time grasping who I was and what I was talking about. It was difficult seeing my best friend and mentor this way. Everything I had learned was from him. He was the best hunter myself and may others have ever known.

Last edited by bigboarstopper; 12-11-2012 at 12:48 AM..
Old 12-11-2012, 7:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboarstopper View Post
In a room of a hundred life long hunters there are only a hand full of really exceptional hunters and outdoorsman. Ones who have broken it down to a science. The ones who in passing conversation can tell you more about hunting and hounds than you may be able to learn in a lifetime in the field.

This hunter and friend had such a knowledge of the land he hunted, the hounds he ran and the game he persued that he spoke almost a different language

I met Billy when I was 16. He and his group were much older than myself in their early 20's. I met him through a cousin and went on my first successful hog hunt with him. His friends were of course all older and never wanted me around but he took a liking to me and I eventually hunted with him every week sometimes twice a week until I was 30.

He was the most exceptional hunter I have ever met. He had a passion for hunting and hounds that compared to nothing else. He was meticulous. He had little interest in anything else and would talk about hunting in a way so that the conversation will never end. If we werent hunting we would talk hunting. There was simply nothing else besides hunting and family for him.

It was a compulsion, an obsession. he lost jobs for it, girlfriends over it. Believe it or not Billy lost his life over it. Wife, 2 daughters, house, job all gone. His sanity eventually slipped away from him. His obsessive compulsive personality/mentality that made him the most exceptional hunter myself and many many others thought of him as simply took his mind away. He lives with his senior citizen parents now.

I saw him the other day and that is why I am writing this. I told him about the guides service I started and talked about hounds with him. He seemed to have a hard time grasping who I was and what I was talking about. It was difficult seeing my best friend and mentor this way. Everything I had learned was from him. He was the best hunter myself and may others have ever known.
Shay that's such a beautiful story. I can see how much the experience and knowledge you have gained from Billy means to you. My Grandfather taught me to play chess when I was a young boy; and we played every time I visited him. He always challenged me to be better as I'm sure Billy did with you. I never beat Gramps for forty years until the last game we played when he was elderly; and believe me I studied the game. I was so happy when it happened I forgot myself. I saw his face slump when he said,"Yes, you beat me", and I wished I had thrown that game to him. After that we would just kind of review our lives together and he would perk up. The old memories were much more clear for him than the present. Billy may not remember your name; and he may have trouble with current time now. But I bet you can make him smile if you ask him,"Hey, Billy, remember the time that we...". He might not stop talking for you. LOL I'm sure you can get that ole' feeling and connection back. I just want you to know that every time you post here the rest of us learn something from you and Billy. You are much appreciated. Thanks so much for sharing Billy with us, Shay. Merry Christmas!

Last edited by Abesnake; 12-11-2012 at 7:24 AM..
Old 12-11-2012, 7:26 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Mental illness is a thief in the night it's hard to watch someone you look upto and respect lose it all.

My hunting mentor was a one armed shotgun wizard, he taught me more about duck hunting than anyone else. When he was diagnosed with ALS it was really difficult to watch that disease rob him of the ability to get out, hunt and fish. In the end death was a blessing for him and his family.
Old 12-11-2012, 9:08 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Location: Thanks to Casual Shooter, this really is kinda fun (was Los Gatos Mountains) ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abesnake View Post
Shay that's such a beautiful story.

I just want you to know that every time you post here the rest of us learn something from you and Billy. You are much appreciated. Thanks so much for sharing Billy with us, Shay. Merry Christmas!
^^ Said it waayy better than I could have.
CalGuns Network (CGN) is different from CalGuns Foundation (CGF). Both need our support. I have gold name because I support CGN; plus, I send $10 every two weeks to CGF automatically via online BillPay as described here.

Support CGF by shopping at Amazon!
Old 12-11-2012, 11:15 AM

Quote:
He was the most exceptional hunter I have ever met. He had a passion for hunting and hounds that compared to nothing else. He was meticulous.
It sounds like his passion lives on through you and probably others he mentored. I'm not that experienced, but I would say I saw similar qualities you mention on a hunt with you. That is a legacy any man could be proud of.

Last edited by TradeGuns; 12-11-2012 at 11:17 AM..
Old 12-11-2012, 11:31 AM

shay i only met him i think 3 times but from the little i know its a sad deal there.i remember seein his blue dog win the bay dog trial in the valley several years ago.loss of the mind thru mental illnes or a disease is just a hard hard thing.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:49 PM

Ive been avoiding this forum all day. I had to be at work at 5am this morning and I think I wrote it last night around 1am. Im not sure why I put it up in here. I think I simply wrote for myself but the replies have definitely helped.

Im not sure when you met him Gary. Depending on when you did you may have met him at his worst. And not to say that those I hunt with today are slouches. As you know the crew we/you/I run with are truly great human beings. Friends I will be loyal to the rest of my life. With Billy however, he kept me from doing the things that would have put me in a place where he seems to be today. It simply feels as if he was there for me as a young man doing his best to make sure i didnt throw my life away and in the end I couldnt or wouldnt return the favor. I feel guilt
Old 12-12-2012, 8:38 AM

not sure the year i met him but it was when his blue dog was doin good for him and before they bred blue to deans katie from pete. i do know the next times i met him he was not quite the same acting guy. as for guilt, ive been down that road and its usually the choices the individual takes or doesnt take for themselves.no matter how others may try sometimes self destruction is inevitable.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:39 AM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

Quote:
I think I wrote it last night around 1am. Im not sure why I put it up in here. I think I simply wrote for myself but the replies have definitely helped.
Putting it down on paper (or on a computer) can make you feel better as it allows you to release those emotions so they don't continue to bottle up. I've done it before when I had family die.

This made me think about some of those in my life who influenced me in the outdoors and how I need to appreicate the time I have left with them.