Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > FFL's Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

FFL's Forum For open discussion between FFLs and polite questions for FFLs.

Old 11-28-2012, 10:11 PM

Default C&R handgun PPT\COE 10 day wait exemption-HELP

I have a C&R and a COE. I got the two so I could skip the 10 day wait on C&R handgun purchases. Its been full of headaches... hardly any FFL's i've been to know how to do the transfer.. I always call ahead of time and make sure, however today really upsetted me. I called this place TWICE to confirm they knew how to do the PPT, they said yes they do. So, i get there today and they just flat out tell me they dont know, and I may have to wait the 10 days. I was pretty mad, however they had me and the seller fill out the paperwork and told me they would call me toomorrow after they spoke with the doj. can an FFL here explain to me the exact process that has to be done to run the C&R+COE wait period exempt dros So I can print it out and use it as reference so something like this doesnt happen again? I drove 90 miles to the FFL...now I have to go back again. to pick it up whenever they figure it out.
Old 11-29-2012, 9:07 AM
Calguns Addict

The first tab would be the transaction type, would would be the Private Party transfer, click on "Handgun". Then under the "DROS" tab, for the waiting period exemption you would select "Collector".

If they don't know what "Collector" is, then they need to look it up.

See also:

http://oag.ca.gov/firearms/pubfaqs#18

Quote:
18. Are there any exemptions to the waiting period?

For most people - no. However certain exemptions do exist for the following:

a. Firearms dealers and persons who have obtained special weapons permits issued by DOJ are exempt from the waiting period.

b. Persons with curio and relic collector's licenses issued by the ATF and who have a valid Certificate of Eligibility issued by the DOJ are exempt from the waiting period only when purchasing curio and relic firearms.

(PC sections 12078 (a)(r)(t))
The CA PC has changed, but the web page has not.

Also:

http://oag.ca.gov/firearms/dlrfaqs#21G

Quote:
21. Who is exempt from the waiting period?

The most common exemptions to the 10-day wait include:
c. Persons who have a curio and relic collector's license issued by the BATF and who have a valid COE issued by the DOJ are exempt from the waiting period only when purchasing curio and relic firearms. The dealer must retain a copy of the FFL collector's license and the COE.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein

Last edited by kemasa; 11-29-2012 at 9:11 AM..
Old 11-29-2012, 9:11 AM
Veteran Member

I did it once and this is how I entered it in the DROS system:

Also kept copies of 03FFL and COE.

Old 11-29-2012, 9:43 AM
Calguns Addict

If you want the instructions see page 52:

https://dros.appsolgrp.com/wpsd/manual.pdf

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein
Old 11-30-2012, 5:07 AM
short bus driver

Here's the new penal code...

Penal Code 26970
(a) The waiting period described in Section 26815 does not apply to the sale, delivery, loan, or transfer of a firearm if all of the following conditions are satisfied:
(1) The firearm is a curio or relic, as defined in Section 478.11 of Title 27 of the Code of Federal Regulations, or its successor.
(2) The sale, delivery, loan, or transfer is made by a dealer.
(3) The sale, delivery, loan, or transfer is made to a person who is licensed as a collector pursuant to Chapter 44 (commencing with Section 921) of Title 18 of the United States Code and the regulations issued pursuant thereto.
(4) The licensed collector has a current certificate of eligibility issued by the Department of Justice pursuant to Section 26710.
(b) On the date that the sale, delivery, or transfer is made, the dealer delivering the firearm shall transmit to the Department of Justice an electronic or telephonic report of the transaction as is indicated in Section 28160 or 28165.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 12-01-2012, 11:33 AM

Yea i learned the hard way, even if thr ffl says they will do the transfer ALWAYS arrange it during th doj's business hours. I had them refuse to do a transfer without calling the doj since it was after doj's phone hours , even though i confirmed it twice on the phone with the shop the day before. Cost me half a tank of gas...