Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > FFL's Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

FFL's Forum For open discussion between FFLs and polite questions for FFLs.

Old 12-01-2012, 10:10 AM

Default A couple of questions

I have several firearms ( 2 handguns (Colt Python and Berretta 9mm), 2 rifles (444 Marlin and Winchester pump 22), and a shotgun (20ga Remington 1100LT) that I acquired all in the early 80's ('81 to '84 time frame)in Texas... the 2 hand guns were purchased at Gun Shows, one rifle and the shotgun were gifts from my father, and the 22 pump was inherited from my grandfather. I moved to California in 1989 and all these firearms have been sitting in a gun safe since that time. I am thinking about selling a couple of these guns and possibly start regularly going to the gun range. My question is, what do I need to do (if anything) to make these firearms legal in California so that I may use them or sell them at my discretion?

Thanks for your responses,

JR Long
Old 12-01-2012, 10:34 AM
Blue Blaze Irregular
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Sounds like you're good to go right now. You can check with the "CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart" at the top of the page to make sure your semi-auto shotgun isn't in illegal "assault weapon" configuration (it's probably not). Also be aware that you can't give, lend, sell or offer for sale any magazines that hold over 10 rounds that might be included with your Beretta if you ever sell it in California.

"Knowledge is power... For REAL!" - Jack Austin
Old 12-01-2012, 11:26 AM

Thank you for the quick reply! I did think of the 10 round mag limit for the Berretta and ordered a Promag 10 round magazine yesterday. To be 100% legal, will I need to get rid of, disassemble or destroy 15 round mag? Also the Remington shotgun is bone stock, so it doesn't appear to fall into any of the illegal categories.

Once again thank you very much for the info... I really want to be a good citizen with regards to my firearms, but trying to locate and sort through all the potentially applicable rules/laws/codes was quickly becoming an exercise in frustration for me.

Thx,
JR
Old 12-01-2012, 2:30 PM
Blue Blaze Irregular
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustyzz View Post
Thank you for the quick reply! I did think of the 10 round mag limit for the Berretta and ordered a Promag 10 round magazine yesterday. To be 100% legal, will I need to get rid of, disassemble or destroy 15 round mag?
It's perfectly legal for you to keep and use the 15 round magazine since you possessed it in California before the ban. But you can't give, lend, sell or offer it for sale in California anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustyzz View Post
Also the Remington shotgun is bone stock, so it doesn't appear to fall into any of the illegal categories.
I didn't think it would. Somebody would have had to change out the original stock to a pistol grip style with folding/collapsing buttstock, which isn't common with 20 gauge Model 1100 shotguns.

"Knowledge is power... For REAL!" - Jack Austin