Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > FFL's Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

FFL's Forum For open discussion between FFLs and polite questions for FFLs.

Old 11-25-2012, 8:44 AM

Default FFL transfer for Beretta 92FS from out of state legal question

Quick question for the FLLs on here please.

I am looking at a police tradein Beretta 92FS. The seller(FFL) is out of state and only has high cap mags.

Can I have him transfer the pistol to my FFL without the high cap mag and just put a 10 rounder in it when I pick it up???

92FS are on the roster of legal handguns but I am not sure if you can transfer them out of state without the mag. Given the crazyness of Cali DOJ and ATF laws I wanted to run this by all of you before I reach out to the seller again. I havent seen anything saying you cant but figured the FFLs on here would know the finer points of the laws.

If it can be done great as I have always wanted a 92FS. If not sobeit.

Again thanks for your time in responding to this question. I greatly appreciate your input.
Old 11-25-2012, 8:51 AM
Calguns Addict

It is legal to do what you said. You have to convince both parties to do it, though. Is the deal that good, that it's worth the fees?
Old 11-25-2012, 8:55 AM
Calguns Addict

If your FFL, the high capacity magazines can also be shipped, but can not be transferred to you. Your FFL might be willing to swap them out or hold them for you to sell, but then it might not be worthwhile due to the costs. The magazines can also be taken apart by the seller as a "parts kit". If you put them together, it is illegal. Your FFL might not want to deal with the magazines at all, so shipping the parts kit directly to you might be best, although the seller might have an issue with it, even though it is legal. In theory, your FFL could take the magazines apart, but your FFL might not, with good reason, want to deal with that.

Unless you are exempt, you need to do the safety demo, so you would need a magazine at that point, any magazine, even a high capacity, would work. Your FFL might have one or you can provide one.

The main thing is to talk to your FFL to ensure that your FFL does not have any issues with what you want to do, but there are no legal issues other than mentioned.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein
Old 11-25-2012, 9:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemasa View Post
If your FFL, the high capacity magazines can also be shipped, but can not be transferred to you. Your FFL might be willing to swap them out or hold them for you to sell, but then it might not be worthwhile due to the costs. The magazines can also be taken apart by the seller as a "parts kit". If you put them together, it is illegal. Your FFL might not want to deal with the magazines at all, so shipping the parts kit directly to you might be best, although the seller might have an issue with it, even though it is legal. In theory, your FFL could take the magazines apart, but your FFL might not, with good reason, want to deal with that.

Unless you are exempt, you need to do the safety demo, so you would need a magazine at that point, any magazine, even a high capacity, would work. Your FFL might have one or you can provide one.

The main thing is to talk to your FFL to ensure that your FFL does not have any issues with what you want to do, but there are no legal issues other than mentioned.
Thanks again for the info. I most definately will speak to my FFL make sure they are onboard with this as well as the seller.

I can get a 10 round mag in advance of the pistol being transfered less the high cap mag. Supply the mag to my FFL when I fill out the paperwork. Then do the safety check when I pick up the pistol.

I beleive my FFL has a high cap mag license, but it sounds like this deal could work out in various ways. Probably best for the seller to keep the highcap mag and add it to another 92FS he has for sale. They could just send the pistol I am interested in without the mag and I will supply a legal 10 round mag. Everyone is happy and well within the cali laws.

Last edited by duckhunterflyfisher; 11-25-2012 at 9:14 AM..
Old 11-25-2012, 9:14 AM
Calguns Addict

Unless the seller is going to reduce the price, you should get to decide what happens to the magazines. While you would have to pay for shipping, you could also have the magazines shipped to someone you know outside of CA.

Some FFLs might do the safety check at the start of the paperwork, so you might need it then.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein
Old 11-25-2012, 9:50 AM

If you need to mail the seller payment anyway, you may consider including the 10rnd magazine, and have him ship it back to your FFL with the firearm. That way your FFL will receive a firearm with appropriate CA legal magazine to perform the demonstration, etc. making for far less drama. Also, as mentioned above, it is appropriate to ask for a price reduction from the seller in lieu of shipping the large capacity magazines.
Old 11-25-2012, 3:14 PM

I think we are all set now with all you guys chipping in your input. Thanks again for the quick reponses. I was able to get a 10 round mag ordered and both FFLs have no issue doing the deal this way. I should have the mag by the time the pistol gets to the FFL! So I can execute the safety check etc. no issues.
Old 12-01-2012, 8:15 AM

If you don't mind, could you post the seller if he has more? I always get requests for deals on 92's as they are still a sought after pistol.