Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 11-29-2012, 10:00 PM

Default Scope trouble on my 10 22 - SOLVED !

I have a Simmons 3x9 32mm on my 10 22. I think I have the eye relief more or less right, but even on the highest magnification, I still can't get a sharp focus on the center dot of the target. The reticle is nice and sharp.

The problem is, I can't get a really sharp focus at any distance further than 50 years, although closer is better. Is it my eyes, the eye relief or do I just need a bigger scope.

I have pretty good uncorrected distance vision, no restriction on my DL. By the 200th round, I have even more trouble focusing as my eyes get tired, and can't make the scope compensate for it.

Give me some help here boys, I can't figure this one out.
• Don't have children until you're married five years or at least age 30.
• Put 10% of your salary into savings every month no matter how broke you are.
• Don't ever screw around with the IRS.
• Keep a handgun on your bedside table.
• Don't smart-mouth judges, or cops who stop you on the road.

Last edited by BonnieB; 12-03-2012 at 8:49 PM..
Old 11-29-2012, 10:28 PM
Veteran Member

If the scope does not a seperate focus/parallax knob, That means the focus is fixed, and will on be in focus at one range of distance. Try backing the magnification back, that should lengthen the depth of field of the focus.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:30 PM
Calguns Addict

Might I suggest your next scope have parallax adjustments.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:08 PM
I need a LIFE!!

The only simmons 3-9x32 model I can find with any parallax listing anywhere says 50 yards parallax free, so I can only assume that's what it's set at. You say the reticle is sharp, didn't mention any weird shadows, and if you think you've got the eye relief right then it probably is(but check this article anyway just to be sure, it has some diagrams that explain what to look for), so it might not be the eye relief.

You didn't say what distance past 50 yards, and based on the info, I think it's the parallax. It's not a "bigger" scope you want. More maginication, larger objective, larger tube, all have their benefits. But side focus(SF) or adjustable objective(AO) are what you need.

edit: One other thing with regards to max magnification on cheap scopes. Crappy glass is tiring to look through. For something decent as an option, try to find a mueller APV to look through.

Last edited by Merc1138; 11-29-2012 at 11:13 PM..
Old 11-29-2012, 11:33 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I'm sorry to have to say this but that's often the problem with cheap scopes, well that and they often die young. They just don't put good quality glass in < $100 scopes. Fixed focus scopes are really best for hunting and plinking and the way a fixed focus scope works is that everything from say 25yrds out is sort of in focus. Not super sharp but sharp enough for hunting and plinking. For target shooting a scope with an adjustable objective (AO) or side focus is in sharp focus wherever you have it set for. It's like the difference between a $10 disposable point and shoot camera and an SLR. As a bonus when an adjustable objective or side focus scope focuses on an object it's also set to be parallax free at that distance. I'd start saving up for a good (Sightron S1, Weaver Classic Rimfire, or Leupold VX-1) rimfire scope or a scope with an adjustable objective depending on what you want to use it for. In the mean time you can dial back the magnification a bit and see if that helps.

If you can afford it this Weaver V16 is a really nice scope with an adjustable objective. I use its big brother V24 on a couple of my benchrest 10/22s.
http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm...eticle%20Matte

If you have to go cheaper a Muller APV is decent, not in the same league as the Weaver but decent. The cross hairs are a bit thick though.
http://swfa.com/Mueller-45-14x40-APV...ope-P9136.aspx

Proud Life Member: National Rifle Association and the Second Amendment Foundation.

Disappointed Life Member: California Rifle & Pistol Association

Last edited by sholling; 11-30-2012 at 12:51 AM..
Old 11-30-2012, 12:04 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Yeah, there's definitely better than the mueller APV, but it's still way beyond the really low end stuff without breaking the bank.
Old 11-30-2012, 5:15 AM
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Bonnie,
There should be a rubber ring at the very end of the scope closest to your eye. Mine has a +\- sign over it and it was hard to turn at first but now it's getting smooth. That should help a little.

I believe Kestryl recommended these Simmons scopes for rimfire a while ago, there are 3 different models for rimfire, here are the two adjustable 3-9x 32 models;

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/211...tte-with-rings

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/263...tte-with-rings
Old 11-30-2012, 2:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazyme View Post
Bonnie,
There should be a rubber ring at the very end of the scope closest to your eye. Mine has a +\- sign over it and it was hard to turn at first but now it's getting smooth. That should help a little.

I believe Kestryl recommended these Simmons scopes for rimfire a while ago, there are 3 different models for rimfire, here are the two adjustable 3-9x 32 models;

Yes, it has the +\- mark over the near end of the scope. What does it do? I don't see anything in the directions....
Old 11-30-2012, 3:08 PM
CGSSA Rimfire Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonnieB View Post
Yes, it has the +\- mark over the near end of the scope. What does it do? I don't see anything in the directions....
That is called the ocular. It is used to focus the reticle to your eye, not the target. You point the scope at a neutral or white colored wall or the clear, blue sky and adjust the ocular until the reticle (not the wall or the sky) is in focus. You have a fixed focus scope and there is no way to focus on the target by adjusting anything on that scope. As "Sholling" posted, its an inexpensive scope made for hunting/plinking, not target work.

Save your dinero and buy a better scope if you want to shoot at varying distances. Mueller's are good for the $$$ but you can do better by buying a Weaver, Vortex Viper or other higher dollar scope that is made in the Philippines or better yet, Japan.

My personal favorite for the money is the Weaver 40/44 model of scopes. Not up to the V-16 or V-24 Weavers, but nice scopes for the $$$. I like the 6.5-20x44mm AO model @ $190. If you can afford it go for the V series.

Last edited by Izzy43; 11-30-2012 at 3:10 PM..
Old 11-30-2012, 3:40 PM

+1 for the Mueller.

Good (not excellent) glass, good features, good price, good value for a 10/22. Your next purchase, look for AO/adjustable objective. Very handy on a rimfire.

Robert
Old 11-30-2012, 5:44 PM

There is should be some focus adjustment. Look for a
knurled locking ring at the sight end of the scope. Back it
off and you should be able twist the sight to get some focal adjustment.
Then re-tighten the locking ring before firing.
Not sure if this is on a Simmons, but on just about
every scope.
Old 12-03-2012, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazyme View Post
Bonnie,

Well, wouldn't ya know it, the local guy had the right answer! Lazyme is my fellow C3 in Sacramento!

This is my very first scope and it all looks exotic to me. And I admit, I didn't know the ring where it says "+/-" even moved. It was way tight and I don't like to force hardware. But I tried a little harder, and now, problem solved.

I can see well enough to do do 1.5 inch groups at 50 yards and 2" groups at 75 yards. I don't know if that's particularly good for a beginner (had the gun for only 3 weeks). But I'm pretty happy with the results so far. Actually, I'm glad to just hit the target....

Thanks to all you guys who pitched in to help.
Old 12-04-2012, 8:17 AM
CGSSA President
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonnieB View Post
I can see well enough to do do 1.5 inch groups at 50 yards and 2" groups at 75 yards. I don't know if that's particularly good for a beginner (had the gun for only 3 weeks). But I'm pretty happy with the results so far. Actually, I'm glad to just hit the target....

Thanks to all you guys who pitched in to help.
Those groups are awesome

Jacob Rascon, (aka) Pennys Dad
President of CGSSA
CALGUNS Shooting Sports Association.
Jacob@CGSSA.Org

Something to be Thankful for: “To the world you may be one person but to one person you may be the world.”