Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 11-29-2012, 2:42 PM
┬──┬ \_(ツ)
CGN Contributor

Question Q: Springfield Armory Government scope

I got the scope from grandpa, never seen one before, don't know much about it.

How good is it?
How much they go for?
affective range?
highest caliber it can handle?

Anyone not voting Brown is putting other things above gun rights.
Whitman + Cooley or Harris = a rash of gun control California has never seen the likes of.
-Gene
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post
If you're not voting why are you even opining?
Brown has a track record of not bowing to Dem pressure on guns.
-Gene
Quote:
Originally Posted by fighterpilot562 View Post
Well if it makes you feel better, I also support the KKK, NeoNazis, WestBoro, Skins, and any other groups right to assemble
Old 11-29-2012, 6:40 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodhawke83 View Post
I got the scope from grandpa, never seen one before, don't know much about it.

How good is it?
How much they go for?
affective range?
highest caliber it can handle?

Looks like a first gen model. Should have the "Government Reticle", basically a rangefinding/ bullet drop design with holdovers for the 308 out to 1000 yards. I used to have one, bought it when they were kind of a big deal back in 1995 or 96. Not a bad scope, but lacking in features by todays standards. Glass was okay, although I would have expected better from Japanese optics. I used it on everything from 5.56 up to 300 win mag. Obviously, the calibration of the reticle is way off for either, but it held up to the 300 without issue. On a 308, I found the reticle to be pretty close at all ranges out to 1000 yards when using FGMM with 175 grain SMK. I think the reticle was designed for the 168's, but it's close enough for first round hits out to about 600-700 yards on a 11X18 steel plate. It would be well suited to a 308 semi auto, where a rapid second shot could be used to correct for any misses. Not sure what the value would be today. I sold mine a few years back for about $350 IIRC.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:01 PM
┬──┬ \_(ツ)
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMJBT View Post
Looks like a first gen model. Should have the "Government Reticle", basically a rangefinding/ bullet drop design with holdovers for the 308 out to 1000 yards. I used to have one, bought it when they were kind of a big deal back in 1995 or 96. Not a bad scope, but lacking in features by todays standards. Glass was okay, although I would have expected better from Japanese optics. I used it on everything from 5.56 up to 300 win mag. Obviously, the calibration of the reticle is way off for either, but it held up to the 300 without issue. On a 308, I found the reticle to be pretty close at all ranges out to 1000 yards when using FGMM with 175 grain SMK. I think the reticle was designed for the 168's, but it's close enough for first round hits out to about 600-700 yards on a 11X18 steel plate. It would be well suited to a 308 semi auto, where a rapid second shot could be used to correct for any misses. Not sure what the value would be today. I sold mine a few years back for about $350 IIRC.
most likely, he hasn't been into guns in a long time.
Whitman + Cooley or Harris = a rash of gun control California has never seen the likes of.
-Gene
Quote:
-Gene
Quote:
Well if it makes you feel better, I also support the KKK, NeoNazis, WestBoro, Skins, and any other groups right to assemble
Old 11-30-2012, 12:01 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodhawke83 View Post
most likely, he hasn't been into guns in a long time.
Later models added target turrets, parallax adjustment and green illumination. Eventually they did away with the government reticle in favor of a standard mil dot. I'm pretty sure these were made by Hakko Optics in Japan. They also made a version for the 5.56 round, with a holdover reticle going out to 800 yards IIRC. Yours looks like the larger 308 version from the pics, but it's hard to tell for sure. If you see a holdover bracket near the bootom edge of the field of view marked as "10", then its the 308 version. Almost forgot, it should also have a bubble level built in as well. It was a pretty revolutionary scope for it's time, but for whatever reason they didn't stay popular for very long. Coincidently, that time frame was also when Nightforce scopes really started advertising and selling in large numbers.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:25 AM
┬──┬ \_(ツ)
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMJBT View Post
Later models added target turrets, parallax adjustment and green illumination. Eventually they did away with the government reticle in favor of a standard mil dot. I'm pretty sure these were made by Hakko Optics in Japan. They also made a version for the 5.56 round, with a holdover reticle going out to 800 yards IIRC. Yours looks like the larger 308 version from the pics, but it's hard to tell for sure. If you see a holdover bracket near the bootom edge of the field of view marked as "10", then its the 308 version. Almost forgot, it should also have a bubble level built in as well. It was a pretty revolutionary scope for it's time, but for whatever reason they didn't stay popular for very long. Coincidently, that time frame was also when Nightforce scopes really started advertising and selling in large numbers.
at work now, it does have that button on the side. didn't know what it did.
-Gene
Quote:
-Gene
Quote:
Old 11-30-2012, 9:09 PM
Veteran Member

I have a gen 3 and it is a great scope. What a difference the bubble level makes in that scope for long range targets. Used it on a Tikka 22-250 for years with great success. Now it sits on my M1A. Great scope, wish they still made them.
Old 12-07-2012, 8:43 AM

It's a total piece of junk. Let me know if you want to sell it!
Old 05-18-2013, 11:17 PM
┬──┬ \_(ツ)
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul1k2k View Post
It's a total piece of junk. Let me know if you want to sell it!
So I put it back on the gun it was made for, M1A, and it wasn't holding zero. I'd get like 6 perfect shots off and then its off like 6 inches. Below what lead to it.

Took me about 60 rounds just to get it sighted in at 25 yards, wished it had turrets. I did use bore laser at home but did not work.

At 50 yards, I got I got it zeroed on the center of the target and another 3 shots on a corner. Was using a 5 diamond target with a diamond black/yellow target on top. This is the point i got 6 perfect shots, at least .25 moa.

At 100 yards, I thought it would just a half inch or one below the center but noooo. It was all over the place in the upper right of the target. At this point, I was done with it.

Iron sights it was great.

Does Springfield offer and repair services for their scopes?

Last edited by bloodhawke83; 05-18-2013 at 11:29 PM..
Old 05-19-2013, 6:07 AM
CGSSA Associate

That's a lot of rounds, was this spread out throughout the day? Were you using the same ammo, how's the scope mount, what kind of cheek weld were you using (M1A's can be tough to scope)?

I really like the SA iron sights.

Last edited by zio707; 05-19-2013 at 6:15 AM..
Old 05-19-2013, 9:15 AM
┬──┬ \_(ツ)
CGN Contributor

It's a gen one SA mount, one with the iron sight channel and connects on the side. It sits high, cheek weld sucks, too low.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
-Gene
Quote:
-Gene
Quote:
Old 05-19-2013, 4:15 PM
Superfluous
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

They are notorious for breaking.

If you have a good one. Your lucky.

T
Old 09-18-2013, 11:44 AM
┬──┬ \_(ツ)
CGN Contributor

ok, anyone know who can repair it?
Old 09-19-2013, 12:51 PM
┬──┬ \_(ツ)
CGN Contributor

SA finally got to me, they said:

Quote:
Springfield Armory, Inc. announces that ABO (USA), Inc. is the official scope repair center for Springfield Armory Scopes. Scopes needing repair should be sent directly to:

ABO (USA), INC.

14041 SW 139th Ct

Miami, FL 33186

(305)860-4858 - Customer Service line

(305)232-7359 - Fax

www.abousainc.com

Please contact ABO (USA), Inc. for instructions on returning scopes. Scope repair can take 6-8 months.

Original owners providing proof of purchase will continue to receive service under the lifetime warranty, provided the defect is from workmanship or materials. Normal wear and tear or abuse is not covered under the warranty. If a scope cannot be repaired, the original purchase price will be refunded to the original purchaser, at the discretion of Springfield Armory, Inc.

Thank you and have a great day!

Have a nice day!
6-8 month wait worth it? or find someone local to see if it is broke or not?
Old 09-29-2013, 2:50 AM

I own two of the Gen3 (AO, illuminated) version.
They both work very very well

I had one as a spare in case whatever happened, and last year I switched them out and sent one in for tune/lube/adjust.
Went through Springfield's authorized service center, it took months (fewer than 6 as I recall) and they did the job - replaced the elevation spring too I think.

They both function perfectly, track consistently, and have been durable on my 700ltr in .308

I think the later generation scopes are perhaps more reliable than the Gen1 version.
Old 09-29-2013, 2:51 AM

In a nutshell, send it in.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:17 AM

Stay away from ABO, & Iron Sights.

Iron sights, will take your money, then spend a year, or so, before returning your scope. We tried them two times. They did the same thing both times. Neither scope was repaired, when we got it back.

ABO isn't any good either. We have sent them over 10 different Redfields. Half of them; we have had to send back, to be repaired again.

We just had three; 3-9 Illuminators, with Accu-Trac, & BDC repaired (by ABO). They took over 6 months. The repair bill, on these three scopes, was $610.00. First one, had to be sent back because the cross hairs were loose (we had to pay the freight, but they warrantied it). The second one, broke the ocular lens, first shot out of the box. Fourth shot, broke the cross hair. We sent it back. ABO now wants us to pay another $250.00, to repair this scope; AGAIN. We told them, to return it to us.

ABO is not only incompetent; they do sloppy, slip shod work; & they do not stand behind it.

We have over twenty; high dollar Redfield scopes, that need repaired. It doesn't look like there is anyone out there, who can do the job.

If anyone out there knows where we can actually get there scopes repaired; so they work, please let us know.

We are probably going to have to repair them ourselves.

Bob
General Manager
Heartland Sports
(402) 376-3407