Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Ladies Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ladies Forum A place for our female Calgunners to discuss, share and interact without the 'excess attention' sometimes found in online forums.

Old 08-01-2013, 8:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripper View Post
Speaking of years
What's a good 25th husband to wife gift

Second Honeymoon. Doesn't have to be extravagant, just a nice weekender that says you would like time with her.

Rules for gift buying for women:

Do not buy cleaning tools, no vacuums or washing machines. Buy your wife something SHE likes, not something you want to buy for her. Flowers are nice when there is no occasion, but not on a Birthday or Anniversary. Candy is like saying you don't know her well enough to think of anything else. Doesn't take much thought.

If all else fails buy jewelry good jewelry.

I don't expect everything handed to me. Just set it down anywhere. Unknown
Old 08-01-2013, 9:23 AM
Vendor/Retailer

I've used the wife countless times, it has saved me thousands in many hobbies.

It just seems so scary, like THE reckoning, or THE devil. Just mentioning THE wife to another man makes them shudder and lowers their guard and BOOM! You just scored a good deal.

At least that's my line of thinking.
Old 08-01-2013, 9:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by savannah View Post
Second Honeymoon. Doesn't have to be extravagant, just a nice weekender that says you would like time with her.

Rules for gift buying for women:

Do not buy cleaning tools, no vacuums or washing machines. Buy your wife something SHE likes, not something you want to buy for her. Flowers are nice when there is no occasion, but not on a Birthday or Anniversary. Candy is like saying you don't know her well enough to think of anything else. Doesn't take much thought.

If all else fails buy jewelry good jewelry.

I can understand the first part about cleaning tools, but I absolutely will never buy a woman jewely because it goes against my moral code and my personal philosophy. Not to mention, if you buy a woman jewelry there is no end in sight, it would be like buying an addict heroin, he will always expect more, no end in sight...

A worthless rock that some con-man found on the ground and was able to convince the women of the world that it is worth 4 months salary and if a man won't buy it for her he's a snake, I want no part of that.

If you know the history of De Beers and what they did to the Boers in South Africa, you'll never look at diamonds the same way. Keep in mind that diamonds are not even rare, there are millions upon millions of them, De Beers and other companies simply warehouse them in vaults, keeping them off the market, to create artificial shortages.

If you read the Scriptures of the Old Testament and the Letters of Paul, it is clear that jewelry is simply a vanity. It is a way for a woman to broadcast to society, "look at how much the man I am with spends on me." I don't want any part of that lifestyle.

With that said, there's nothing wrong with a particularly expensive gift, but I'd prefer it be personal and meaningful. If you know your wife of 15 years thoroughly enjoyed a particular book as a child and it was her absolute favorite book, it might be worth considering finding a first edition of said book, even if you have to hit up a number of book dealers and find one who has a book that old. I have a number of books that are 100+ years old and some that are around 150+ years old. If she really enjoyed a board-game that has been out of production since the 1970s, I wouldn't object to spending the time to track down an original first production run of the game.

But jewelry, never!
Old 08-01-2013, 11:32 AM
Calguns Addict

The last sentimental type gift was taking an old gold watch that had belonged to her mom and having it restored/repaired, the face was cracked and clasp broken
I think that was at like 15
PM about Front Sight Lifetime Memberships or Training Certificates
Old 08-01-2013, 1:17 PM
Banned

i say "hey woman" so this does not apply to me.
Old 08-01-2013, 2:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
You're her 25th husband? She must already have a "gift" that can't be outdone!!!
Old 08-01-2013, 2:42 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by loophole View Post
You're her 25th husband? She must already have a "gift" that can't be outdone!!!
ROFL
Old 08-01-2013, 4:08 PM
Cat-in-a-Box
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

guns/ammo/jewelry.....hubby doesn't get in my way on any of those.
and he didn't bat an eye when I saw some earrings found at Pompeii and said I must have that. I bought the 10mm south sea pearls and the design is now being implemented by a local artisan in 22k gold. i'll consider it our 10 year anniversary present. not romantic you say? is to me. wish fulfillment is different for everyone.

"Her hands, her comfort, her confidence, her choice.", Mr K re buying a gun for a woman.

Gun Control:
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Old 08-01-2013, 7:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KABA556 View Post
I can understand the first part about cleaning tools, but I absolutely will never buy a woman jewely because it goes against my moral code and my personal philosophy. Not to mention, if you buy a woman jewelry there is no end in sight, it would be like buying an addict heroin, he will always expect more, no end in sight...

A worthless rock that some con-man found on the ground and was able to convince the women of the world that it is worth 4 months salary and if a man won't buy it for her he's a snake, I want no part of that.

If you know the history of De Beers and what they did to the Boers in South Africa, you'll never look at diamonds the same way. Keep in mind that diamonds are not even rare, there are millions upon millions of them, De Beers and other companies simply warehouse them in vaults, keeping them off the market, to create artificial shortages.

If you read the Scriptures of the Old Testament and the Letters of Paul, it is clear that jewelry is simply a vanity. It is a way for a woman to broadcast to society, "look at how much the man I am with spends on me." I don't want any part of that lifestyle.

With that said, there's nothing wrong with a particularly expensive gift, but I'd prefer it be personal and meaningful. If you know your wife of 15 years thoroughly enjoyed a particular book as a child and it was her absolute favorite book, it might be worth considering finding a first edition of said book, even if you have to hit up a number of book dealers and find one who has a book that old. I have a number of books that are 100+ years old and some that are around 150+ years old. If she really enjoyed a board-game that has been out of production since the 1970s, I wouldn't object to spending the time to track down an original first production run of the game.

But jewelry, never!

I never look at jewelry as a way to broadcast anything to society. That is just absurd. Nice jewelry is just nice jewelry and it doesn't have to be a big rock to make it good or thoughtful. I love the fact that my husband has taken time to find something he thinks I might like. Personally, I like dainty jewelry.

Once again, we are all different. If your wife loves an old board game or a book, so be it. Get it for her. However, I don't think it makes a woman vain nor a social climber because she likes jewelry. No need to thump people over the head with a bible because they wear jewelry.

Old 08-01-2013, 8:32 PM
Calguns Addict

After many years, it gets hard to find that special gift
Old 08-01-2013, 8:39 PM
Cat-in-a-Box

so it does, Tripper, so it does.
what does she talk about, dream about, point out in movies/books/magazines? i'm betting there is something she has hinted at. however, I have to say that I learned to say, "I like it but its not something I want" because my hubby thinks if I like something I want it. not true!!!!!!!!!

"Her hands, her comfort, her confidence, her choice.", Mr K re buying a gun for a woman.

Gun Control:
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Old 08-01-2013, 8:53 PM
Calguns Addict

Yes
Old 08-01-2013, 8:54 PM
Calguns Addict

I'm actually thinking Hawaii
Old 08-01-2013, 8:55 PM
Calguns Addict

She doesn't hint at things
If she wants something it usually gets bought
Old 08-01-2013, 9:31 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcGuff View Post
i say "hey woman" so this does not apply to me.
I do that with my wife too. She kinda likes it.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:15 PM
Banned

Quote:

Once again, we are all different. If your wife loves an old board game or a book, so be it. Get it for her. However, I don't think it makes a woman vain nor a social climber because she likes jewelry. No need to thump people over the head with a bible because they wear jewelry.

Believe me, if I wanted to "thump" you over the head, I would have quoted/posted a dozen different passages, chapter and verse.

I don't believe making a passing reference to a general theme in scripture, constitutes "thumping" somebody over the head.
Old 08-02-2013, 12:40 AM

No thumping! We don't thump here. Well, not all that much, but we do try to play nice.
• Don't have children until you're married five years or at least age 30.
• Put 10% of your salary into savings every month no matter how broke you are.
• Don't ever screw around with the IRS.
• Keep a handgun on your bedside table.
• Don't smart-mouth judges, or cops who stop you on the road.
Old 08-02-2013, 4:57 AM

When I want something that I really really want I get it. No questions asked. Like my last rifle purchase.

I was in the store picking up something and I asked the guy, 'Do you have....., he said yes, I said, 'kin ah hold it pwease'
He said, 'Sure, lil lady, here ya are.'

Was love at first hold.

I said, 'Wrap it up and put a scope on it and I be back in 10 days'

Plunked down the cash and l love my new toy!

Of course, there was accessories to buy for it, which was fun too!

Dalai Lama

A system of licensing and registration is the perfect device to deny gun ownership to the bourgeoisie.

Vladimir Ilyich Lenin
Old 08-02-2013, 6:31 AM
Cat-in-a-Box

Quote:
She doesn't hint at things
If she wants something it usually gets bought

ah, a woman like many of us here in this forum.

for the record, I may be one of the few people who didn't like Hawaii. I don't like hot/humid weather and oddly I got vertigo.....felt better out on a boat looking at the land! weird, I know......

has she never mentioned wanting to travel anywhere?
have you traveled anywhere with her and she mentioned how much she enjoyed it?
where did you get married?
is she an outdoors person?
does she like museums?
hobbies?
send me a PM if you don't want to divulge too much info on the internet.

Gun Control:
Old 08-02-2013, 7:49 AM

I am not fond of humidity either Zombie. I do like Hawaii, but the sticky part can be miserable at certain times of year. I resolve to wearing hats to hide my hideous hair and light clothes when I am there. I couldn't live in humidity for sure. All of my heavy jewelry would stick to my skin!

Old 08-02-2013, 8:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
Speaking of years
I stumbled across the father of a kid who played football with my son in HS who made jewelry in his garage. He does it all - designs, makes a wax model, mold, and melts and pours the gold or ? into a setting, then puts in whatever stones you want to buy.

I took the cheap route when we got married, so I had him build something rather nice for our 25th. I was lucky, because she really liked it.

Since then, we have gone through all of our old jewelry and either had him melt it down and re-do, or trade him for other "stuff". All of the wife's old diamonds from her mom, grandmother, or my mom are now re-used in jewelry she likes. Best of all - everything she has now is one-of-a-kind, and worth probably more that it cost to have it made.

Getting ready to have a ring made for myself, so son and daughter have equal pickin's when we kick off.
Old 08-02-2013, 12:01 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smird View Post
I always call mine "The Boss"
I've been known to refer to mine as SWMBO...

Uhoh... I said "mine." I'm not going to get in trouble for implying possession, am I?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackRydden224
I hope Ruger pays the extortion fees for the SR1911. I mean the gun is just as good if not better than a Les Baer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliff View Post
A Colt collector shooting Rugers is like Hugh Grant cheating on Elizabeth Hurley with a hooker.
Old 08-02-2013, 3:42 PM
Cat-in-a-Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by loophole View Post
I stumbled across the father of a kid who played football with my son in HS who made jewelry in his garage. He does it all - designs, makes a wax model, mold, and melts and pours the gold or ? into a setting, then puts in whatever stones you want to buy.

I took the cheap route when we got married, so I had him build something rather nice for our 25th. I was lucky, because she really liked it.

Since then, we have gone through all of our old jewelry and either had him melt it down and re-do, or trade him for other "stuff". All of the wife's old diamonds from her mom, grandmother, or my mom are now re-used in jewelry she likes. Best of all - everything she has now is one-of-a-kind, and worth probably more that it cost to have it made.

Getting ready to have a ring made for myself, so son and daughter have equal pickin's when we kick off.
love it on so many levels!

Gun Control:
Old 08-02-2013, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishslayer View Post
I've been known to refer to mine as SWMBO...

Uhoh... I said "mine." I'm not going to get in trouble for implying possession, am I?

Yes, your in trouble. Now you must give us all your guns.....

Old 08-02-2013, 6:44 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Yes, your in trouble. Now you must give us all your guns.....
I'll have to run that by SWMBO. She's rather fond of a couple of 'em.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackRydden224
I hope Ruger pays the extortion fees for the SR1911. I mean the gun is just as good if not better than a Les Baer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliff View Post
A Colt collector shooting Rugers is like Hugh Grant cheating on Elizabeth Hurley with a hooker.
Old 08-02-2013, 9:50 PM
Calguns Addict

She's never mentioned traveling really
But, when we do any kind of traveling she does enjoy it
We have never discussed Hawaii, I just thought of it as a popular destination

Most recently, I mentioned a cruise, and she started sort of looking into it, I'm just not sure if she looked into it because I mentioned or because its something she would like to do
Old 08-03-2013, 4:53 AM
Banned

Quote:
She's never mentioned traveling really
But, when we do any kind of traveling she does enjoy it
We have never discussed Hawaii, I just thought of it as a popular destination

Most recently, I mentioned a cruise, and she started sort of looking into it, I'm just not sure if she looked into it because I mentioned or because its something she would like to do

If she didn't mention it, it could be entirely because you mentioned it. You might want to figure out which it is.

A cruise is so bland. If you step back and think about it, a cruise is the equivalent of being stuck in a hotel that you can't leave for two weeks. It's just a floating hotel packed with lots of strangers.

I'd go for something outside of the box and away from 4,000 strangers who are going to crowd your personal space.

Raft down the Colorado River.

Hike through Yellowstone or McKinley National Park.

Something like that.

Last edited by KABA556; 08-03-2013 at 4:56 AM..
Old 08-03-2013, 7:09 AM
Cat-in-a-Box

if she hasn't expressed an interest in rafting, don't do it!
if she hasn't expressed an interest in hiking, don't do it!
after this many years I would hope she has retained some interests and expresses them. listen!!!!!!!!!!
or even just ask her what she'd like to do to celebrate.
and you could even ask her friends!
if you're really interested in making this about her, then make it about her.
perhaps she's gone along with your ideas all these years?
or maybe she really is interested in the very same things and will be happy with what you decide to do?
or maybe you could both make this decision with her?
talk to her about a cruise....perhaps Alaska? i'm not a cruise person but that is one i'd consider doing.

what is an example of things you've done with her in the past? perhaps repeat one of those.

Gun Control:
Old 08-03-2013, 11:14 AM

I have gone on a total of one cruises in my life. I took the gkids on the Disney Dream when it launched. We are taking the next two in March. Honestly, I HATE cruises. But the Disney thing is fun.

Hawaii is lovely certain times of year. My favorite island is Kauai. It is green and lush on the Princeville side and warm and tropical on the Poipu side. Lots of things to do and see and beautiful hiking everywhere. Lovely waterfalls you can take a picnic to and do a little swimming. June, July and August are stinking hot and humid. October through March are a bit less humid and very lovely. Rent a convertible and leave the top down. Rain or shine you will love driving with the top down and enjoy the panoramic view.

Very romantic trip for two. However stay in Poipu or Princeville. Steer clear of staying anywhere near Coconut Grove area and Lihue. My son went to VRBO and found a beautiful condo in Princeville very reasonable with a big Master and Kitchen and a short walk to a private beach. They stayed for a week, shopped at Costco, made their own meals. A couple of fun dinners out and they spent very little money.

Old 08-03-2013, 5:31 PM

Drifting a little off topic here....
• Don't have children until you're married five years or at least age 30.
• Put 10% of your salary into savings every month no matter how broke you are.
• Don't ever screw around with the IRS.
• Keep a handgun on your bedside table.
• Don't smart-mouth judges, or cops who stop you on the road.
Old 08-03-2013, 6:45 PM
Cat-in-a-Box

no, A LOT OFF TOPIC!

drinking lagunitas IPA and ok with "drifting"....at the moment.

Gun Control:
Old 08-03-2013, 6:47 PM

Guy I worked with called his wife "the biscuit burner"

I call my wife
'Louise", "she who must be obeyed", and a couple well-deserved times: "the she-bear".

I get her laughing when I suggest she call me "master"
Old 08-03-2013, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movie zombie View Post
no, A LOT OFF TOPIC!

drinking lagunitas IPA and ok with "drifting"....at the moment.

Off topic is better than no topic at all.

Ladies Forum is dead.

Old 08-03-2013, 9:47 PM
Cat-in-a-Box

you are right, savannah......

again, sometimes one just has to drift.......

Gun Control:
Old 08-03-2013, 10:08 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonnieB View Post
Drifting a little off topic here....
Anniversary, I'm happy to make a new thread, something up there just made me think of it, and I guess that suggests I'm easily distracted

....squirrel....brb
Old 08-03-2013, 10:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by movie zombie View Post
you are right, savannah......

again, sometimes one just has to drift.......

When one of my engineering professors [math] cautioned us against "going off on a tangent," I asked, "would it be permissible for us to go off on a cosine?"
Old 08-04-2013, 6:50 AM
Cat-in-a-Box

LOL.....however, maths were not and still are not my forte. I had to look 'cosine' up. sigh.

I 2nd your recommendation to start our own thread, Tripper..................

Gun Control:
Old 08-06-2013, 1:58 PM
CGSSA Associate

Quote:
Originally Posted by KABA556 View Post

Very Interesting Article on Diamonds http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rohin-...b_3708562.html

My rock is 200lbs and 6' tall.
Old 08-06-2013, 2:09 PM

Can someone explain to me why guys refer to their SO as "the wife"?

"The Wife" as in: "The Wife, and Kids".

"I could walk into Walmart and pick up an AR-15 assault rifle off the shelf, but I wouldn’t be able to buy a Kinder Egg, because it’s a CHOKING HAZARD."
-Piers Morgan

“Dear America, please let Piers buy a Kinder Egg...”
-Ricky Gervais
Old 08-06-2013, 2:51 PM
Veteran Member

Men & women speak differently