Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

Old 12-04-2012, 2:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justcor View Post
USPSA is rally car racing while IDPA is scored parallel parking.

Funniest idpa quote ever.

my YouTube shooting channel

Old 12-05-2012, 4:16 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieTactics View Post
Has anyone viewed this video (not just the preview/trailer)? What are the opinions of the competitors among us who have?
I have. Very good video, good, solid approaches to stage tactics. It should be noted that he has a companion video on shooting skills, and thus does not spend any time on grip, sight picture, etc., but just on the stage tactic portion of competition.

I've trained the equivalent with Matt Burkett and Mike Seeklander, so these observations are somewhat compared to those two.

I really like the side by side treatment of IDPA and USPSA. He provides a fair comparison of the two, without any judgement.

There is very little about the body mechanics while in motion. A few references to it (especially on the prison van stage), but most of it you have to learn by watching, without him mentioning it (and he does have stellar body mechanics as a competitor).

He has much less on how to transition from one target to another, than Seeklander, for example.

He also doesn't mention much about memorizing foot position for shots, he just says put your foot in the right place.

He has GREAT props and stages. I want to shoot at his club.

In essence, we're getting a detailed look at his technique. It's more demonstration and commentary and less instruction.
Old 12-05-2012, 8:27 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by guns_and_labs View Post
There is very little about the body mechanics while in motion.
... but most of it you have to learn by watching, without him mentioning it

He has much less on how to

He also doesn't mention much about memorizing foot position for shots, he just says put your foot in the right place.

It's more demonstration and commentary and less instruction.
This isn't a criticism as much as an observation.

The above is pretty common among folks who are very good are what they do...in any sport...because what they do comes naturally to them without thinking about it. If you can figure it out from just watching them move, it can be really worth it. It would be like learning to play basketball by watching Michael Jordan.

Their expertise transfers better in one-on-one instruction where they can watch and correct what you are doing...and see the immediate result of the corrections/suggestions; it is up to you to understand what you need to change to get there.

I had a movement teacher often repeat, "You have to listen to your body as to how to move", but then he would say,"There is only one correct way to move with your body"
Old 12-06-2012, 10:42 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9mmepiphany View Post
Their expertise transfers better in one-on-one instruction where they can watch and correct what you are doing...and see the immediate result of the corrections/suggestions; it is up to you to understand what you need to change to get there.
Which is why I'm signed up for his course in the Spring...

But you are right, it is common amongst the top competitors. It is different though, with competitors who are skilled teachers, in my limited experience.

I am not dissing the video at all. It is billed as stage prep his way, and it delivers that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD