Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Ladies Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ladies Forum A place for our female Calgunners to discuss, share and interact without the 'excess attention' sometimes found in online forums.

Old 02-23-2013, 5:46 PM

Default Biometric gun safe

Ladies, have you seen the new "Wrong Girl" Glock commercial? The female in question reaches under her bed, scans her fingerprint and the safe pops right open to produce her loaded Goock 19, while an evil man breaks down her front door. My current operation renders my gun just about useless. I'd have to race to my closet, grab the hidden key, unlock the safe, grab gun. Takes too much time and fine motor movement. I expect to have a deficiency of both in the event of a home invasion. I've looked online at different models, but I keep finding mixed reviews. The safe doesn't reliably snap open, won't read fingerprints, needs batteries, and it goes on. A one have one of these they can recommend? Thanks!
Old 02-23-2013, 7:12 PM

I don't have one I can recommend, because I have the same problems with mine. It works fine with a key, but than what is the point of being able to read finger prints. The one I have is a gun vault, and it isn't the quietest safe either. Makes a noise when its accepted your combo, and than doesn't pop open, so you are left banging on the top for it open. Not the ideal situation when somebody is trying to break in. Hope you are able to find one that actually works.
Old 02-23-2013, 7:37 PM

Got a link to the commercial? I wanna see too.
Don't have children until you're married five years or at least age 30.
Put 10% of your salary into savings every month no matter how broke you are.
Don't ever screw around with the IRS.
Keep a handgun on your bedside table.
Don't smart-mouth judges, or cops who stop you on the road.
Old 02-23-2013, 8:02 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2gCFOtaZPo
here's the link.
Old 02-24-2013, 7:03 AM

I bought this safe on Amazon with free Prime shipping and it works pretty good. It has a keypad and you can use a key as a backup. I haven't had any issues with it and it opens pretty easily. I screwed it into the wall in my closet. I'm not sure I would trust a biometric safe.
http://www.amazon.com/SentrySafe-X05...words=gun+safe
Bersa Thunder, Browning Buckmark Camper, Charles Daly 1911, Charter Arms Buldog Pug, Chinese SKS, Colt Double Eagle MK II Series 90 10mm, Egyptian Hakim 8mm, Heckler & Koch P2000SK, Kimber Eclipse Ultra II, Mossberg 500A Cruiser, Mossberg New Haven 600AT, Romanian M69 Trainer, Rossi Ranch Hand .44 Mag, Savage Arms Model 73, Smith & Wesson 1006 10mm, Smith & Wesson Sigma .40, Springfield Armory XD-40, Walther P1, Wyoming Arms Parker 10mm, Yugoslavian K98
Old 02-24-2013, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxomeowmixoxo View Post
OMG someone has been evesdropping on my fantasy life! Killer commercial, and I hope I do as well, if the time ever comes.
Don't have children until you're married five years or at least age 30.
Put 10% of your salary into savings every month no matter how broke you are.
Don't ever screw around with the IRS.
Keep a handgun on your bedside table.
Don't smart-mouth judges, or cops who stop you on the road.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:15 PM

I don't think that's the biometric version. It looks like the snap-on safe with buttons that you press in an order you program in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock Girl in CA View Post
Ladies, have you seen the new "Wrong Girl" Glock commercial? The female in question reaches under her bed, scans her fingerprint and the safe pops right open to produce her loaded Goock 19, while an evil man breaks down her front door. My current operation renders my gun just about useless. I'd have to race to my closet, grab the hidden key, unlock the safe, grab gun. Takes too much time and fine motor movement. I expect to have a deficiency of both in the event of a home invasion. I've looked online at different models, but I keep finding mixed reviews. The safe doesn't reliably snap open, won't read fingerprints, needs batteries, and it goes on. A one have one of these they can recommend? Thanks!
Old 03-03-2013, 10:30 PM

Buy one of these. I have a biometric gun vault and it sometimes takes 2 - 3 swipes before it opens.

http://www.deansafe.com/fort-knox-handgun-safes.html
Old 03-03-2013, 10:43 PM

I spent some time last year researching pistol safe options and none of the electronic ones really made me or my wife feel confident in relying on them during a stressful situation. In the end I opted for the Fort Knox pistol safe which uses a simplex lock. It definitely cost a bit more than the other pistol safe options, but it doesn't require batteries, it doesn't beep, it opens every time and it's built using 10 gauge metal. Here's a like if you're interested in checking it out.

https://www.ftknox.com/store/index.p...&product_id=54
Old 03-04-2013, 5:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zepplin View Post
I spent some time last year researching pistol safe options and none of the electronic ones really made me or my wife feel confident in relying on them during a stressful situation. In the end I opted for the Fort Knox pistol safe which uses a simplex lock. It definitely cost a bit more than the other pistol safe options, but it doesn't require batteries, it doesn't beep, it opens every time and it's built using 10 gauge metal. Here's a like if you're interested in checking it out.

https://www.ftknox.com/store/index.p...&product_id=54
wasn't there a class action suit brought against the lock makers (Simplex) because they could be opened with magnets? Was that issue fixed?
Old 03-04-2013, 6:04 AM

I did some digging and found an interesting article on the security issues with Kaba Simplex locks.

It also states that locks produced after Dec 15, 2010 should be ok.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/marcwebe...-easy-is-it/5/
Old 03-04-2013, 7:02 AM

Any one of these small pistol safes will not stop a determined thief. If that is your worry then buy a proper heavy weight gun safe that can be bolted down. To keep a gun out of little hands, these work great and I would use it. I use one similar to the Fort Knox. If I am going to be gone for ant length of time my home defense guns go in the large safe.

I don't expect everything handed to me. Just set it down anywhere. Unknown
Old 03-04-2013, 10:02 AM
Internet Warrior
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

It is good sense to store a pistol in a quick access safe. IMO, I don't think the biometric ones are good since they don't have 100% opening rates, and I am sure it would be much worse if you were woken in the middle of the night under stress. They are not meant to keep your gun from theft; they are meant to keep your gun from children, etc., and keep your ability to access the gun quickly.
Old 03-04-2013, 2:25 PM

I was actually about to start my own topic on this, but I stumbled across this thread instead using search. Out of all the research I did it seems if all you're trying to purchase is a nightstand safe to keep the gun out of the hands of little children when you're not CC around the house the following is the best value biometric safe out there.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...iometric-safe/

I'm planning on picking one up myself.
And menstrual cramps? Seriously, you [nrakid88] have complained about more things here than I think I have ever seen in a single thread ...air quality, noise, discomfort from glasses, "feminine attributes," and "macho masculinity," and sexism (there's an ironic disconnect here somewhere), compassion, grammar, people "tearing you down," your more-sensitive-than-normal ears, people who you perceive to be recoil-sensitive, how you "FEEL", liberals........ are you for real???
Old 03-04-2013, 4:21 PM
Banned

for what it's worth:

Old 03-04-2013, 6:08 PM
Calguns Addict

I bought a gun vault multi dlx it had the internal light, tamper alarm etc.

It was by my bedside and the thieves took the whole safe.

A month later 1 was caught with one of the 2 handguns inside.
You can read more at the link in my sig.

Anyways, it goes to prove its good against kids and small hand tools but not a determined thief with a crowbar or some bigger tools.
Old 03-04-2013, 7:09 PM

I really loved this commercial!
Old 03-08-2013, 9:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savannah View Post
Any one of these small pistol safes will not stop a determined thief. If that is your worry then buy a proper heavy weight gun safe that can be bolted down. To keep a gun out of little hands, these work great and I would use it. I use one similar to the Fort Knox. If I am going to be gone for ant length of time my home defense guns go in the large safe.
Yes, a thief would not be stopped. I'm actually looking to get one to keep it away from my two young boys, but have it accessible to me if needed.I have my gun in a safe locked by key, but honestly, what if those boys found the key one day? It's amazing how resourceful kids can be. Mine have been taught about gun safety (think Eddie Eagle) but honestly, can one REALLY trust the judgement of one's 4-yr-old?

I'm going to check out the links provided and see... Prior to this I saw a VERY frightening article from The Cornered Cat that showed 3 yr olds breaking into these little safes. I was scared out of my mind and actually stopped looking at new safes for awhile...

Last edited by Glock Girl in CA; 03-08-2013 at 9:40 PM..
Old 03-08-2013, 9:42 PM

Ok, all, I like the Ft Knox safes since they seem quality and are USA-made, but would you trust a number code with kids afoot? REALLY want fingerprint access!
Old 03-08-2013, 9:57 PM

It is interesting to see what others have. We do not have small children in the house(yes, the Younger is small at 74lbs but he's almost 15 too LOL) and if we do, all the guns with the exception of the ones we have on body, are locked in the cemented, bolted down safe where only myself, my husband and our sons knowing where the key is.

I keep my gun at my bedside, the shotgun is nearby and the younger knows where to find his shotgun and our handguns if needed. Now if I had younger children or visiting nieces and nephews who are young or un-trained in safe gun handling, it would be VERY different I am sure!

I hope you find something that works.

Number code with kids afoot? Sure, the code I have on my ATM and Credit Cards is something I remember easily but my kids have NEVER figured it out and it has been the same for 20+yrs. LOL Not even my husband knows the significance of that number and he has tried figuring it out too(he knows the number but cannot figure out why I chose it), not because he wants to hack our account(he has his own card for our joint account) but because it is the one thing in 15yrs(11yrs married this month) that I have managed to keep a secret! LOL There is only one other person that knows why I have that number and she isn't telling any of those secrets from the Other Side... I hope....