Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 11-26-2012, 5:15 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan
Default 2X Classic Arms SKS Pictures. Updated!

I eagerly awaited the Brown Van O' Goodness and my box arrived at around 2pm today from Classic Arms. My order was a hand select / matching SKS.

First Impressions:

Classic seems to package their rifles a little better, as this one was tightly packed in bubble wrap inside the cardboard box. I greedily tore at it in anticipation of the contents. The fun part of this whole Chicom SKS bonanza is wondering what your particular rifle will look like, as it seems they are all over the spectrum.

I immediately noticed that the stock looked like it had been PAINTED with grey paint! It was patchy and the mottled red finish was visible where the paint wore off.

On the other hand, all of the metal surfaces were deep blue and MINTY. I immediately tore the rifle apart to look for hidden rust or issues (Both of the J&G rifles I got had some minor pitting on the receiver below the wood line). This one has no pitting or rust anywhere at all.

All of the metal looked great and all the numbers matched 100%. Once I started wiping down the stock with mineral spirits I realized that the stock is matching and original to the gun..Yeah!!

I failed to take pictures before tearing it down but I snapped a few after the fact. The stock is actually in good shape underneath all that gunk. I will post up pictures of as soon as its all put back together.

P.S. I thought I might sell this one off, but after receiving it and inspecting it....I'M KEEPING IT!

Last edited by Bobby Ricigliano; 12-04-2012 at 5:53 PM..
Old 11-26-2012, 5:22 PM
Calguns Addict

Dang, I ordered 5 from Classic in the hopes of getting just one that nice. I hope I do as well. Nice rifle!

Massive cleaning out the safes sale in Contra Costa, Rifles, Handguns, C&R, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWalkerM View Post
eh why bring logic into this, that makes too much sense... besides when you have bested a fool, you have accomplished nothing and he is a fool.
Old 11-26-2012, 5:31 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I ordered two hand select. One looks fine and the other doesn't have any finish left and rust on the bolt. I think that I will send that one back based on their "hand select" description.

"Hand Select - Expect Stocks to be dark and discolored with dents, dings, scratches and possible carvings but no major gouges or chunks missing . Metal finish will be between 60% and 95% ( yes, many have close to 100% blue still left ) with 75% to 80% probably being most typical. "

Ignorance can be educated.
Crazy can be medicated.
But there is no cure for stupid.

Police Brutality? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRd5oucG114

NRA Benefactor Member
Old 11-26-2012, 5:34 PM

Nice. Mine was like your metal wise, but the stock had some major issues...
Nice pickup!
Old 11-26-2012, 5:41 PM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Hmm...I am thinking of ordering the same Bobby, but I have a mint blonde '55 Tula arriving this week and I don't think I have enough room in the safe for another. Choices, choices, guess I could remove the bolt and keep it in the safe and keep the Chinese SKS beater in the closet?
Old 11-26-2012, 6:01 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

I have noticed one thing about these C&R SKS rifles. They feel heavier and sturdier than the later Chines SkS that were designed for the civilian market, specifically the ones with the bright orange stocks and stamped receivers. I have both and I love both, but there is definitely a tangible difference.
Old 11-26-2012, 6:07 PM

Late Chinese SKS rifles have milled receivers. Only a very few, very rare and collectable, ones have stamped receivers. The stamped receiver SKS's are not civilian production.
Old 11-26-2012, 6:09 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capybara View Post
Hmm...I am thinking of ordering the same Bobby, but I have a mint blonde '55 Tula arriving this week and I don't think I have enough room in the safe for another. Choices, choices, guess I could remove the bolt and keep it in the safe and keep the Chinese SKS beater in the closet?
I am curious as to what a Blonde Tula SKS looks like. It is my understanding that all original Russian stocks were either Arctic Birch red or laminated.
Old 11-26-2012, 6:34 PM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Not sure if it is original but when I saw it, it was love at first sight, I had to have it. It arrives later this week.

Many pictures of higher quality will ensue.

Old 11-26-2012, 7:09 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Not sure if it is original but when I saw it, it was love at first sight, I had to have it. It arrives later this week.

That looks like an aftermarket stock, but regardless that is a sharp looking rifle!
Old 11-26-2012, 7:13 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus von W. View Post
Late Chinese SKS rifles have milled receivers. Only a very few, very rare and collectable, ones have stamped receivers. The stamped receiver SKS's are not civilian production.
If this is the case then I stand corrected. In any case, the older Chicoms feel more durable. I have a 60's era Chicom that appears to be of higher overall quality than my late model ( 80's) SKS.
Old 11-26-2012, 8:11 PM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

What kind of wood do you think that is Bobby? I am terrible at looking at wood and determining what type it is? Could it be Birch or Beech?
Old 11-26-2012, 9:33 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
What kind of wood do you think that is Bobby? I am terrible at looking at wood and determining what type it is? Could it be Birch or Beech?
In the first set of pics from the OP, I'm pretty sure that is catalpa (chu) wood.

Oh, and beautiful rifle btw!

Old 11-26-2012, 9:50 PM

Man, your hand select looks nothing like my hand select. Mine can't have more than about 10% bluing left.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=649182
Based on the description on Classic's website, I think I would have reason enough to return it but I'm not going to. Secretly, I like that the finish is almost worn off on mine,
Old 11-27-2012, 3:06 AM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I'm not sure.., I suppose you could get an original stock to look like that if it was stripped bare and refinished from scratch. Are there any stampings ornumbers on it?
Old 11-27-2012, 3:09 AM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by scobun View Post
Dang, I ordered 5 from Classic in the hopes of getting just one that nice. I hope I do as well. Nice rifle!
I'll wager that all 5 will be keepers.., what do you do then?
Old 11-27-2012, 4:12 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

the wood looks like my YUGO SKS very nice
Old 11-27-2012, 4:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRICKSTER View Post
I ordered two hand select. One looks fine and the other doesn't have any finish left and rust on the bolt. I think that I will send that one back based on their "hand select" description.
Bet you'd be better off selling it in the marketplace.
Old 11-27-2012, 5:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Ricigliano View Post
I eagerly awaited the Brown Van O' Goodness and my box arrived at around 2pm today from Classic Arms. My order was a hand select / matching SKS.

First Impressions:

Classic seems to package their rifles a little better, as this one was tightly packed in bubble wrap inside the cardboard box. I greedily tore at it in anticipation of the contents. The fun part of this whole Chicom SKS bonanza is wondering what your particular rifle will look like, as it seems they are all over the spectrum.

I immediately noticed that the stock looked like it had been PAINTED with grey paint! It was patchy and the mottled red finish was visible where the paint wore off.

On the other hand, all of the metal surfaces were deep blue and MINTY. I immediately tore the rifle apart to look for hidden rust or issues (Both of the J&G rifles I got had some minor pitting on the receiver below the wood line). This one has no pitting or rust anywhere at all.

All of the metal looked great and all the numbers matched 100%. Once I started wiping down the stock with mineral spirits I realized that the stock is matching and original to the gun..Yeah!!

I failed to take pictures before tearing it down but I snapped a few after the fact. The stock is actually in good shape underneath all that gunk. I will post up pictures of as soon as its all put back together.

P.S. I thought I might sell this one off, but after receiving it and inspecting it....I'M KEEPING IT!

Looks good. Can't wait till I get the time to clean mine fully.
Old 11-27-2012, 5:19 AM

Quote:

Hmm. Ive seen one just like that. Just a theory here (dont shoot the messenger) but maybe its a refinish? Ive seen them stripped of the shellac and they look almost pine like. Very blond. It was reddish before with flaking shellac, and after a strip was blond like that. Again, just a theory. Looks amazing though either way.
Old 11-27-2012, 5:22 AM

Quote:

First Impressions:

I have a question for you if you wouldnt mind. Were the bayonets on your glossy-like as if they were polished a bit, or more of a matte? I cant tell from your pic. Im just curious, mine came a bit polished, not chrome like, but definitely shiny.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:25 AM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regula View Post
Hmm. Ive seen one just like that. Just a theory here (dont shoot the messenger) but maybe its a refinish? Ive seen them stripped of the shellac and they look almost pine like. Very blond. It was reddish before with flaking shellac, and after a strip was blond like that. Again, just a theory. Looks amazing though either way.
I won't be miffed if it is a refinish, this will be my main SKS shooter and I wanted a Russian, supposedly the metal and bore are like new. i also have a weakness for blond stocks, they are eye catching and unusual looking when you are at the range. I am much more of a shooter than a hardcore collector. I will still end up buying one of the Chinese, I too kind of dig the beat up look in a way, although I have a source for NIB Norinco SKS so I could get one of those as well.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:55 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regula View Post
I have a question for you if you wouldnt mind. Were the bayonets on your glossy-like as if they were polished a bit, or more of a matte? I cant tell from your pic. Im just curious, mine came a bit polished, not chrome like, but definitely shiny.
All of the Chinese SKS's with blade bayonets I own have the matte metal finish. The rest have the spike bayonets. The only shiny metal bayonets I've seen have been on Russians.
Old 11-27-2012, 1:28 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

First Impressions:

Awesome!
"The only thing necessary for the triumph [of evil] is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke speech of 23 April 1770, "Thoughts on the Cause of the Present Discontents," delivered to the House of Commons.
Old 11-27-2012, 5:32 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

****UPDATE****

So I returned to the garage after work for round 2 with this SKS rehab...After a night in the mineral spirits the parts look GREAT. Mrs. Ricigliano asked what I was doing in the garage and I replied..

"WINNING...!!!!"

The stock is coming along nicely. Lots of nicks but fully intact with a nice patina and the numbers are now clear to see as matching. Pardon the terrible lighting in my garage, but I took a few pics of the components as they dry out before final oiling and assembly.

I forgot to mention before that this one is a 'Factory 26'. AKA " /26\"

Old 11-27-2012, 8:25 PM
Calguns Addict

So it sounds like the stock had that almost worn off gray hazed shellac? And you just used mineral spirits to remove it? Did you do anything else? Or any special technique?

Can't tell from the new photo of the stock, what have you done to it? Applied a coat of amber shellac? Or Poly? It looks shiny now, or is that just the photo?
The above is not legal advice. It is just something you read from some dude on the internet. It does not reflect the opinion of Calguns.net. If it seems rude it was probably meant to read sarcastically.

Marlin 795 MEGATHREAD Part Deuce
Featureless Rifle Build Guide - Now over 100 Muzzle Devices!
Old 11-28-2012, 5:26 AM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos47 View Post
So it sounds like the stock had that almost worn off gray hazed shellac? And you just used mineral spirits to remove it? Did you do anything else? Or any special technique?

Can't tell from the new photo of the stock, what have you done to it? Applied a coat of amber shellac? Or Poly? It looks shiny now, or is that just the photo?
I'll be the first to admit that I don't know much about stock refinishing.... when the mineral spirits were not effective in removing the grey stuff I used some 220 grit sandpaper and it came off. Then I used mineral spirits to clean the gunk off the stock. It only looks wet in the picture because there was a fresh coat of mineral spirits on it.

I was probably going to put a few coats of boiled linseed oil on it as a protectant. I used BLO before on a diferent stock
but it didn't change the appearance of the stock at all, so maybe I didn't do it right.

P.S. I have read about going to collector hell for using sandpaper, but I do not see this

rifle as a museum piece and I already have several minty SKS's in the safe that don't get shot. This one will be one of my range guns.
Old 11-28-2012, 5:40 AM
Calguns Addict

i think this last batch of Chinese SKSs are a real find. my ser # is in the same range as the one you have. they all seem pretty much be in the same shape. i cleaned the wood first with WD 40 . then i used de natured alcohol and a scotch pad. finished off with a product called lenspeed. it is a blend of linseed oil and something that makes it dry faster. i took mine to the range and it is a good sound shooter. i have been wanting a Chinese to go along with my YUGO .
Old 11-28-2012, 6:59 AM

If you're going to collector hell for using sandpaper, I'll be looking up at you from the 6th Circle...

I had to completely strip, sand, and refinish the stock on mine. It looked like it had been used to pound railroad spikes building the transcontinental. After I cleaned the gunk off, the stock had shiny but flaking patches of shellac, patches where it was dyed wood, and large patches of bare wood that in the case of the top and bottom of the buttstock was chewed up and splintering. When I got a splinter in my finger through the latex gloves I was wearing I knew it needed more than a clean and oil.

I just stripped it with Citrustrip, lightly sanded off the fuzz, and now I'm staining it with Sedona Red which is a very good match for the color it came to me as. I'm going to go with tung oil followed by paste wax to finish her up. At least I'll be able to shoot it without getting splinters in my face or worrying that pieces are going to catch on something and tear chunks out of the stock!

There will be a thread when I'm done so that I can be properly chastised by the purists.
Old 11-28-2012, 9:56 AM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinGuy View Post
If you're going to collector hell for using sandpaper, I'll be looking up at you from the 6th Circle...

I had to completely strip, sand, and refinish the stock on mine. It looked like it had been used to pound railroad spikes building the transcontinental.
Now that's comedy gold. Right up there with the guy who said his SKS stock looked like someone set it on fire and then put it out with an icepick.

I look forward to seeing that stock once you rehab it Bruin.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:01 AM

Looking good Bobby! I see you have a 13 stamped on the receiver underneath the serial number. Is there a corresponding 13 on the barrel lug as well? I have matching 16's on mine. Also my barrel lug has a completely different set of numbers stamped on it, any ideas what they are? I have pics in my own thread...

MY AR Profile #1
Old 11-28-2012, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Now that's comedy gold. Right up there with the guy who said his SKS stock looked like someone set it on fire and then put it out with an icepick.
Ha ha. Mine looked like they used it to ski down a hill of gravel and razor blades. It would bend and flex because enough material was missing from the center. Had to just restock.

Oh yeah weird thing about the bayonet...my bayonet is glossy polished like a russian. My friend picked his up yesterday from turners, and it had a cigarette butt in the trap. Now thats a prize!
Old 11-28-2012, 12:00 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

This whole SKS influx is a winner for everyone. If you have a C&R, you can buy a bunch and keep what you want, selling what you don't want easily. Half the fun is getting the box and tearing it open to see what is in that Crackerjack box!
Old 11-28-2012, 12:05 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Here's a great idea:

Buy an extra one and leave it in the sealed box when you get it. Gift wrap it and put it under your Christmas tree.

On Christmas morning, scamper down the stairs and tear it open like a child. Memories of Christmases long past coupled with new SKS goodness will warm your heart and make you feel all toasty inside.

Then beg permission from the Misses to go in the garage and play with your new toy.

There you go....a perfect Christmas.

Last edited by Bobby Ricigliano; 11-28-2012 at 1:14 PM..
Old 11-28-2012, 12:25 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I'll be the first to admit that I don't know much about stock refinishing.... when the mineral spirits were not effective in removing the grey stuff I used some 220 grit sandpaper and it came off. Then I used mineral spirits to clean the gunk off the stock. It only looks wet in the picture because there was a fresh coat of mineral spirits on it.

I was probably going to put a few coats of boiled linseed oil on it as a protectant. I used BLO before on a diferent stock
but it didn't change the appearance of the stock at all, so maybe I didn't do it right.

P.S. I have read about going to collector hell for using sandpaper, but I do not see this rifle as a museum piece and I already have several minty

SKS's in the safe that don't get shot. This one will be one of my range guns.

Boy I remember the collector hell I went through for doing such a thing....

NRA MEMBER

Originally Posted by ar15barrels
Unscrew the lid. There is a foil seal there.
Pull the seal off and screw the lid back on.
Then you can squeeze the mustard and it will come out of the bottle..

Liberals are termites eating at the foundation of our constitution.
Michael Reagan
Old 11-28-2012, 1:06 PM

Quote:
Here's a great idea:

Buy an extra one and leave it in the sealed bx when you get it. Gift wrap it and put it under your Christmas tree.

On Christmas morning, scamper down the stairs and tear it open like a child. Memories of Christmases long past coupled with new SKS goodness will warm your heart and make you feel all toasty inside.

Then beg permission from the Misses to go in the garage and play with your new toy.

There you go....a perfect Christmas.
YOU'LL SHOOT YOUR EYE OUT KID!!!

HO - HO - HOOOOOO
Old 11-28-2012, 4:37 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

So I put this Commie blaster back together today and lubed it up properly. I probably could have spent more time on the stock but I am happy with its character and it feels silky smooth..no more rough spots. If I dropped the chassis into a replacement stock this thing would look practically new, but since the stock is original and matching that isn't going to happen. Here's a few pictures of the finished product. I had to wrap it up...there is another SKS coming tomorrow from Classic!!!!

Old 11-28-2012, 7:30 PM
Calguns Addict

Looks very nice Bobby, it's amazing the beatings these rifle took.

NRA MEMBER

Originally Posted by ar15barrels
Unscrew the lid. There is a foil seal there.
Pull the seal off and screw the lid back on.
Then you can squeeze the mustard and it will come out of the bottle..

Liberals are termites eating at the foundation of our constitution.
Michael Reagan
Old 11-28-2012, 7:35 PM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Damn, that stock has some scars. Looks sweet.
Old 11-28-2012, 7:55 PM

Damn Bobby, you've got the bug! Another one coming? When are you going to take them out and put them through their paces?