Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > FFL's Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

FFL's Forum For open discussion between FFLs and polite questions for FFLs.

Old 12-20-2011, 7:44 AM

Default Moving handgun to CA

When Moving handgun to CA is the registration with the state voluntary? I know the state wants this done within 60 days but someone told me its voluntary.
Old 12-20-2011, 8:11 AM

I live in Idaho moving to Cal. DOJ told me after I get a Drivers License I have 60 days to Reg. my Handguns But if I spend summers in Idaho and winters here and keep my Idaho Residents I am just a visitor. They won't let reg a handgun with no Cal. ID Don
Old 12-20-2011, 11:21 AM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by mack24 View Post
When Moving handgun to CA is the registration with the state voluntary? I know the state wants this done within 60 days but someone told me its voluntary.
It's 'voluntary' in the sense that there are not gun-inspection stations at the state border.

It's a misdemeanor not to register.

Unless there is some way to amend a bill so you would support it,
the details do not matter until the Governor signs or allows the bill to become law.

Ask CA law questions in the How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me Forum
- most questions that start 'Is it legal ...' go there.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 12-20-2011, 2:30 PM

I kind of have a question on these same lines.
I have a good friend that is moving to CA and may be looking to sell some of his handguns once situated.
Will he need to register those guns in his name in CA before then selling them privately to another legal CA resident?
Old 12-20-2011, 2:40 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishsig View Post
I kind of have a question on these same lines.
I have a good friend that is moving to CA and may be looking to sell some of his handguns once situated.
Will he need to register those guns in his name in CA before then selling them privately to another legal CA resident?
No.

Once he has CA ID, he can sell them PPT instead of registering them - PC 27560
Quote:
27560. (a) On or after January 1, 1998, within 60 days of bringing
a handgun into this state, a personal handgun importer shall do one
of the following:
(1) Forward by prepaid mail or deliver in person to the Department
of Justice, a report prescribed by the department including
information concerning that individual and a description of the
firearm in question.
(2) Sell or transfer the firearm in accordance with the provisions
of Section 27545 or in accordance with the provisions of an
exemption from Section 27545.
(3) Sell or transfer the firearm to a dealer licensed pursuant to
Sections 26700 to 26915, inclusive.
(4) Sell or transfer the firearm to a sheriff or police
department.

Unless there is some way to amend a bill so you would support it,
the details do not matter until the Governor signs or allows the bill to become law.

Ask CA law questions in the How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me Forum
- most questions that start 'Is it legal ...' go there.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 12-21-2011, 8:18 AM

^ Thanks so much for the info.
There's a lot of gun stores in Cali that have conflicting info.
Old 11-27-2012, 1:24 AM

Does the 60 days begin when one has a CA DL or when the guns come into the state after becoming a CA resident?
Old 11-27-2012, 6:25 AM

Quote:
27560. (a) On or after January 1, 1998, within 60 days of bringing
a handgun into this state...
The law doesn't provision a delay for obtaining a drivers license or becoming a resident. Just 60 days after bringing the handgun(s) into the state. There are different ways to comply depending on whether one has obtained the CA DL or not.
Old 11-27-2012, 7:32 AM
short bus driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by marklbucla View Post
Does the 60 days begin when one has a CA DL or when the guns come into the state after becoming a CA resident?
The 60 day time period starts after the person becomes a CA resident and when the handgun(s) enter the state.

In order to be a "personal firearm/handgun importer" need to move to CA and establish residency in CA. A person who moves to CA and hasn't established CA residency is not considered a "personal firearm/handgun importer", until they establish CA residency. [PC 17000(a)(6)]

Penal Code 27560
(a) Within 60 days of bringing a handgun, and commencing January 1, 2014, any firearm, into this state, a personal firearm importer shall do one of the following:
(1) Forward by prepaid mail or deliver in person to the Department of Justice, a report prescribed by the department including information concerning that individual and a description of the firearm in question.
(2) Sell or transfer the firearm in accordance with the provisions of Section 27545 or in accordance with the provisions of an exemption from Section 27545.
(3) Sell or transfer the firearm to a dealer licensed pursuant to Article 1 (commencing with Section 26700) and Article 2 (commencing with Section 26800) of Chapter 2.
(4) Sell or transfer the firearm to a sheriff or police department.

Penal Code 17000
(a) As used in this part, until January 1, 2014, any reference to the term "personal firearm importer" shall be deemed to mean "personal handgun importer" and, on and after January 1, 2014, any reference to the term "personal handgun importer" shall be deemed to mean "personal firearm importer." A "personal handgun importer," until January 1, 2014, and commencing January 1, 2014, a "personal firearm importer" means an individual who meets all of the following criteria:
(1) The individual is not a person licensed pursuant to Article 1 (commencing with Section 26700) and Article 2 (commencing with Section 26800) of Chapter 2 of Division 6 of Title 4.
(2) The individual is not a licensed manufacturer of firearms pursuant to Chapter 44 (commencing with Section 921) of Title 18 of the United States Code.
(3) The individual is not a licensed importer of firearms pursuant to Chapter 44 (commencing with Section 921) of Title 18 of the United States Code and the regulations issued pursuant thereto.
(4) The individual is the owner of a firearm.
(5) The individual acquired that firearm outside of California.
(6) The individual moved into this state on or after January 1, 1998, in the case of a handgun, or in the case of a firearm that is not a handgun, on or after January 1, 2014, as a resident of this state.
(7) The individual intends to possess that handgun within this state on or after January 1, 1998, or in the case of a firearm that is not a handgun, he or she intends to possess that firearm within this state on or after January 1, 2014.
(8) The firearm was not delivered to the individual by a person licensed pursuant to Article 1 (commencing with Section 26700) and Article 2 (commencing with Section 26800) of Chapter 2 of Division 6 of Title 4, who delivered that firearm following the procedures set forth in Section 27540 and Article 1 (commencing with Section 26700) and Article 2 (commencing with Section 26800) of Chapter 2 of Division 6 of Title 4.
(9) The individual, while a resident of this state, had not previously reported ownership of that firearm to the Department of Justice in a manner prescribed by the department that included information concerning the individual and a description of the firearm.
(10) The firearm is not a firearm that is prohibited by any provision listed in Section 16590.
(11) The firearm is not an assault weapon.
(12) The firearm is not a machinegun.
(13) The person is 18 years of age or older.
(14) The firearm is not a .50 BMG rifle.
(15) The firearm is not a destructive device.
(b) For purposes of paragraph (6) of subdivision (a):
(1) Except as provided in paragraph (2), residency shall be determined in the same manner as is the case for establishing residency pursuant to Section 12505 of the Vehicle Code.
(2) In the case of a member of the Armed Forces of the United States, residency shall be deemed to be established when the individual was discharged from active service in this state.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 11-27-2012, 8:09 AM

Thank's, I had the same question.