Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 11-26-2012, 12:03 PM

Default Redfield Revenge 3-9x42mm vs. Sightron SII 3-9x42mm vs. Mueller APV 4.5-14x40mm

Couldn't decide if I should post this under Optics or Rimfire, but this is a rimfire-specific question, so please feel free to move it to the proper folder should you deem it necessary, mods...

I’m afraid that it may be time for me to give up my beloved Weaver RV7 2.5-7x28mm. As much fun as it was in the short time I’ve had it on my 10/22, these tired old eyes just need something with a brighter image and a wider field of view. I also have astigmatism in both eyes and have to wear glasses, so focusing has been a little bit troublesome with the Weaver. And, I’d also like to graduate to shooting targets up to 100 yards or more, perhaps eventually trying my hand at benchrest, so I need a scope with more power.

I’ve been considering these 3 scopes in my $150 price range, and have listed the specs below. I’d love to hear some opinions from members of this forum as to which they think I should purchase. Thanks!

Redfield Revenge 3-9x42mm:

Magnification: 3x to 9x
Objective Diameter: 42mm
Reticle Type: 4-Plex
Lens Coating: Fully Multi-Coated
Click Adjustment Rate: 1/4 MOA Tube
Windage/Elevation Adjustment Range (in): 70 MOA
Field of View: 3x - 32.9' at 100 yards; 9x - 11.4' at 100 yards
Diameter: 1"
Weight: 14.8 oz
Length: 12.4"
Eye Relief: 3.5"
Waterproof: Yes
Mounting Space: 5.6"
Exit Pupil: 3x - 14.2mm; 9x - 4.9mm

Sightron SII 3-9x42mm:

Magnification: 3-9x
Object Diameter (mm): 42
Reticle Type: Duplex
Lens Coating: Multi-Coated
Click Adjustment Rate: 1/4 MOA Tube
Windage/Elevation Adjustment Range (in.): 95 MOA
Field of View: 3x – 37’ at 100 yards; 9x – 13’ at 100 yards
Weight (oz.): 13.4
Length: 12.7"
Eye Relief (in.): 3.6-4.2
Waterproof: Yes
Field of View: 34-12 Ft. @100Yards

Mueller APV 4.5-14x40mm:

Magnification:4.5 - 14x
Objective Diameter: 40 mm
Reticle Type: APV Plex
Lens Coating: Fully Multi-Coated
Click Adjustment Rate: 1/4 MOA
Field of View: 4.5x – 27’ at 100 yards; 14x – 9’ at 100 yards
Parallax: 10 Yard Minimum
Weight (oz): 17.5
Length: 13.75”
Eye Relief (in): 3.5 - 3.25
Exit Pupil: 4.5x - 8.89mm; 14x - 2.86mm
Old 11-26-2012, 12:39 PM
CGSSA Rimfire Coordinator

Before buying the Redfield or Sightron you should find out what their parallax setting is. I'm betting they are set @ 100yds or maybe more. Not the best for 25-75yd shooting, expecially if you intend to shoot benchrest.

Of the 3 I would say the Mueller is better suited for your intended purpose. Downside of the Mueller (I had one) is that the reticle is rather thick for target work. Also the turret adjustments are the antiquated bowtie type. Upside is the glass is very good for the price and the Customer service is topnotch.

If you can spend a little more there are some better choices out there.

I have two of these and they are great for the price. Clear glass, nice turrets and made in the Philipines, not China. Great value in my opinion.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/weaver-4...iflescope.html

Here's another on Rimfirecentral.com that is nearly if not the same scope. If I had a use for it I'd buy it. (not mine by the way and I don't know the seller)

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...do=ad&id=52124

Finally if you can spend around $300, maybe find it a little cheaper, there is the Weaver V16.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/weaver-r...v16-16x42.html

Never read a bad review on the V16, made in Japan.

Afterthought: I think you may be disappointed in a 3-9X for target work @ 100yds and beyond. Ok for steel plates but if your eyes are not the best a 3-9x will not allow you to see bullet holes @ 100yds. Most benchrest shooters use 24x or 36x even at 50yds. Just depends how serious you want to get into it.

Last edited by Izzy43; 11-26-2012 at 12:43 PM..
Old 11-26-2012, 4:24 PM

Thanks for your input, Izzy! I couldn't find any information regarding the parallax settings on the Redfield and Sightron, and was happy to learn that the Mueller had at least a 10-yard minimum. I'm with you in wishing that the reticle wasn't so thick, but then again, it looks like the other two I'm considering also do. I've been very hard-pressed to find a good-quality scope with fine crosshairs in my price range. I also considered the Weaver 40/44 4-12x44mm with AO at one point, but wasn't too sure whether that 44mm objective would clear the medium-height rings on my DNZ mount.

The Weaver V16 would also be a good option, but I've been reflecting on your insightful comment regarding a 24x or 36x fixed lens. At a price approaching $300 for the V16, I may as well start saving my pennies for a used Weaver T36 (36x40mm)! I had wanted to gift my RV7 to my nephew, but maybe I should just get him something else and hang on to the RV7 until next year when I'd have enough saved up for the T36...what do you think?

Last edited by skyblue; 11-26-2012 at 4:37 PM..
Old 11-26-2012, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblue View Post
Thanks for your input, Izzy! I couldn't find any information regarding the parallax settings on the Redfield and Sightron, and was happy to learn that the Mueller had at least a 10-yard minimum. I'm with you in wishing that the reticle wasn't so thick, but then again, it looks like the other two I'm considering also do. I've been very hard-pressed to find a good-quality scope with fine crosshairs in my price range. I also considered the Weaver 40/44 4-12x44mm with AO at one point, but wasn't too sure whether that 44mm objective would clear the medium-height rings on my DNZ mount.

The Weaver V16 would also be a good option, but I've been reflecting on your insightful comment regarding a 24x or 36x fixed lens. At a price approaching $300 for the V16, I may as well start saving my pennies for a used Weaver T36 (36x40mm)! I had wanted to gift my RV7 to my nephew, but maybe I should just get him something else and hang on to the RV7 until next year when I'd have enough saved up for the T36...what do you think?
Well this is just my opinion but I have been thru a number of inexpensive scopes and they have disappointed everytime. Were I to do it over again I would buy a good quality scope with the magnification that I needed the first time. Spending $300-400 on a scope seems like a lot but you get what you want with quality the first time. The upside is that something like a Weaver 36x or a V16 or V24 will hold its value if you decide to resell down the road. The Mueller will loose 20% as soon as you open the box.

All my cheap Chinese made scopes are now gone and I only buy Weaver or Vortex scopes. Costs more but I'm alot happier with them. My latest was a Vortex 6.5-20x44mm Side Focus. Great scope @ $280, even better than the Weaver 40/44. Best of luck with your decision.

You have a nice Weaver in that 2-7x28mm so I doubt you would want anything that does not equal or exceed that. Chinese made won't do it.
Old 11-26-2012, 5:29 PM

SWFA has the sightron on clearance
http://swfa.com/Sightron-Closeouts-C4847.aspx
I think I would take the Redfield out of those.
Have you looked at the Burris Fullfields or Nikon Prostaff in that price range.
Old 11-27-2012, 8:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibuff View Post
SWFA has the sightron on clearance
http://swfa.com/Sightron-Closeouts-C4847.aspx
I think I would take the Redfield out of those.
Have you looked at the Burris Fullfields or Nikon Prostaff in that price range.
Yeah, SWFA had the best price on the Sightron. Wasn't too impressed by the 1 Nikon Prostaff that I had a chance to inspect, and have not heard good things about Burris' customer service.

Izzy's comment that I "may be disappointed in a 3-9X for target work @ 100yds and beyond" really made me stop and reconsider my options. Since I'd really like to try my hand at benchrest shooting, it looks like my best option is to keep the RV7 until I've saved up for a quality fixed lens. Aside from having been recommended by Izzy and Sholling, the Weaver line is a great value when compared to Zeiss and Leupold, so I'll probably start looking into the V16, V24 and T36. Perhaps even check out Vortex and SS (although I wish more of these came in Silver)...
Old 11-27-2012, 11:36 AM

[QUOTE=skyblue;9799419]
Since I'd really like to try my hand at benchrest shooting, it looks like my best option is to keep the RV7 until I've saved up for a quality fixed lens. /QUOTE]

Getting into benchrest shooting requires a bit more than the rifle and scope for best precision. One of the key pieces is a decent front rest. Here are a couple of entry level front rests that work pretty well. I have the one at the top of the page, the second one down is good as well but doesn't have the windage adjustment that the top one does:http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...sl_z3h9immag_e

Do some research on pricing, at times the upper rest goes for $99.

Many benchrest shooters spend upwards of $300-$1000 on the front rest alone. That's mostly for serious competition which is beyond my skill level no matter what rest I would use. Next is a good rear bag. There are many choices out there with the "Shooters Ridge" brand being one of the popular ones. Caldwell and others make a front and rear bean bag, had one, gave it away.

You are being very smart on waiting for the right scope. You won't be disappointed.

Last edited by Izzy43; 11-27-2012 at 11:39 AM..
Old 11-27-2012, 12:07 PM

I believe the Redfields have the same parallax setting as their Leupold brethrens, 150yds. Kinda far out for rimfires. Even rimfire Leupolds are 65yd parallax unless w/ AO.
Old 11-27-2012, 2:47 PM

I had a small issue with my Burris FF E1 the turrets were a little tight. I called tech support the lady said to send it in and they would take care of it no problem. I haven't sent it back yet just cause I wanted to use it over the summer. I'm very happy with the glass.
Old 11-28-2012, 9:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy43 View Post
Getting into benchrest shooting requires a bit more than the rifle and scope for best precision. One of the key pieces is a decent front rest.
I can't thank you enough for being so encouraging (enabling? lol)! Thanks for the link to the front rests. That's something I totally overlooked, and it may actually be more practical than mounting a bipod. It certainly beats using those crummy blocks of plywood at the local range, haha!
Old 11-28-2012, 9:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblue View Post
I can't thank you enough for being so encouraging (enabling? lol)! Thanks for the link to the front rests. That's something I totally overlooked, and it may actually be more practical than mounting a bipod. It certainly beats using those crummy blocks of plywood at the local range, haha!
Just like the government I have no problem spending other people's money. Bipods are great for shooting prone or in the field but for benchrest they tend to bounce just enough to effect accuracy. I've got two of them in the closet.
Old 11-29-2012, 1:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy43 View Post
Just like the government I have no problem spending other people's money.
Haha! Let me know if anything else comes to mind, guys!! Since posting this thread, I've requested print catalogs from Leupold, Vortex, Weaver and Sightron in order to help better weed through all of the choices that are available from respected and recommended manufacturers in my general price range.

I've also found this post on Snipershide that may be very helpful to everyone out there that's trying to find a scope. It may help to eliminate redundant newbie questions the like of which I just posted, lol. It may be a good idea to print it out or make it a sticky for everyone to refer to:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubb...92#Post2264692