Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more If it locks up, carries, fits on to or cleans up your firearms, discuss it here.

Old 11-25-2012, 7:53 PM

Default Where should I put my safe?

I ordered my first gun/valuables safe the other day - a Stack-On 24 fire rated safe. I'll be keeping 2 long guns, a handgun, ammunition, and some valuables in it. My dilemma is where to put it. My house is small and the only real place to put it is either in my garage or in a 10x8' room ( used as a home office) just off of the garage.

Putting it in the garage would mean that I could bolt it to the slab but it would be in sight from the street while the garage door is open. If I put it there I would keep it covered with a blanket or something.

Putting it in the room would require bolting it to the wooden floor which is about 7" off of the slab. The safe could potentially be viewed through a barred window but only by someone who entered my front yard and stood at a angle to the window (ie unlikely) - besides I keep the windows shut and curtained 99% of the time.

Any suggestions/input is appreciated
Old 11-25-2012, 7:57 PM
Calguns Addict

Whatever you decide , just as long a you make sure it's bolted!
Old 11-25-2012, 7:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonc View Post
Whatever you decide , just as long a you make sure it's bolted!
It will be bolted for sure!
Old 11-25-2012, 8:08 PM
Calguns Addict

find old fridge, cut back out and slide over safe.

Garages or bedrooms are where we typically put safes. Usually want to go for concrete slabs for bolting down simply because it is going to be more secure there. I would find a blind spot in the garage, or find something that can be used to hide it. old fridge, cheap cabinet etc.

YOu can bolt it to your floor. try and find the floor joists and connect it to them.
D1.1 1F/G, 2F/G, 3F/G unlimited range, Steel SMAW
I can make custom shooting targets and paracord accesories. PM me.

Last edited by xibunkrlilkidsx; 11-25-2012 at 8:12 PM..
Old 11-25-2012, 8:21 PM

I vote for the garage with some kind of decorator cabinet to hide it. If its close to a cold water supply you can also get a fire sprinkler head and install it over the top in case of fire.
Old 11-25-2012, 9:06 PM
Veteran Member

If going to straight concrete in the garage you'll want to put some type of barrier beneath the safe to keep moisture from wicking up below and rotting the bottom of your safe.
Old 01-29-2013, 7:50 AM

Someplace where it can be bolted down. Even on a wood floor it can be secured with some U-bolts around a floor joist or two. Buy a cheap-you-build-it cabinet and build it around the safe to better hide it from eyes.

The first line of defense is to keep it hidden from plain sight. someone snooping around your house may pass by and go for a different house if they cant see anything very valuable just by looking in the wondows...
Old 01-29-2013, 8:15 AM
Veteran Member

Try and put the safe in the corner of a room against two walls and bolt it down either to concrete with anchors or through wood sub-floor with lag bolts. Also, arrange the safe so that the hinged side of the door is away from the wall and the door handle is near the wall, this will prevent a pry bar from being used.
Old 01-29-2013, 8:18 AM

closet is good.
Old 01-29-2013, 8:24 AM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotshotgun? View Post
Try and put the safe in the corner of a room against two walls and bolt it down either to concrete with anchors or through wood sub-floor with lag bolts. Also, arrange the safe so that the hinged side of the door is away from the wall and the door handle is near the wall, this will prevent a pry bar from being used.
+1

Also most people only talk about laging the floor bolts if your safe has rear bolts make sure you anchor them to also when I get mine I'm gonna build a presure frame up to the ceiling that suckers going nowere
Old 01-29-2013, 8:34 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotshotgun? View Post
Mine is in a corner just like that, difficult to pry when in a corner.

Their wasn't really anywhere to hide mine,so it's in the dining room area.
Old 01-30-2013, 8:26 AM

I had a couple of fire-guys tell me the coolest area of a burn is in the corner of your garage on the concrete slab, you'll probably want to store other things (more flammable) in the safe as well, best chance of survival in a fire. (I like the fire sprinkler idea!)
Old 01-31-2013, 10:42 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Bolt it down using a hammer drill and 4 1/2" red head anchors and then fashion a false front of some kind. Concealing it, especially if it is in the garage is key to criminals passing it by. Opsec is your first line of defense.