Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 11-25-2012, 8:15 AM

Default transfer of firearm question... i looked and didn't find a thread on my situation

Hello all.

Quick question that I hope you can help me out with.

My father recently passed away and has some handguns. (hence coming here for answers) He left them to my mom just to make it easier and my mom said she wanted to give them to me.

Just a couple points.... All of his handguns were acquired in the early 70's to late 60's and I now live in New Mexico.

So, is there any paperwork I would have to legally fill out to have the guns transferred to me, from the state of California?

Thanks in advance!!!!
Old 11-25-2012, 8:28 AM
Veteran Member

If the guns are in CA & you are in NM they will have to be shipped to a FFL in your state. If your mom moves to NM, they can be given to you with no paperwork. Be advised all guns that go thru an FFL are registered by the Feds illegally.
Old 11-25-2012, 8:33 AM

Thank you.

Let me add.... My intention is to go to California and transport them back myself.
Old 11-25-2012, 9:00 AM
Calguns Addict

That is illegal as you describe. Your mother can drive them or ship them to an FFL in New Mexico. If your father had left them to you, then you could just go pick them up, probably with no paperwork, but I don't know New Mexico law.
Old 11-25-2012, 9:08 AM
retired Goon

Under Federal laws...
If the firearms were left to you in his will, then you can legally come to CA and acquire the firearms and transport them back to NM.

If the firearms were not left to you in his will or if there was no will, then the executor of his estate (your mom) can ship them or bring them to a NM FFL dealer, who will transfer the firearms to you.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 11-25-2012, 9:13 AM

Thank you all for your help!!
Old 11-25-2012, 9:18 AM

Do not tell us when & where you are picking up those guns.
Old 11-25-2012, 10:16 AM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLT505 View Post
My father recently passed away and has some handguns. (hence coming here for answers)

He left them to my mom just to make it easier and my mom said she wanted to give them to me.
As far as Federal law is concerned, that made things more difficult. As others have noted, since the guns now belong to your mother, they are no longer an inheritance -- which, by California and Federal law, is exempt from using an FFL -- but an interstate (CA --> NM) transfer, that does require the FFL.

This sticky -- http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=503873 -- while focused on California residents, applies in the Federal law to all states.
No one will really understand politics until they understand that politicians are not trying to solve our problems. They are trying to solve their own problems - of which getting elected and re-elected are number one and number two. Whatever is number three is far behind.
- Thomas Sowell
I've been saying that for years ...

There is no value at all complaining or analyzing or reading tea leaves to decide what these bills really mean or actually do; any bill with a chance to pass will be bad for gun owners.

The details only count after the Governor signs the bills.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 11-25-2012, 1:24 PM

Thanks all. I'll go to a shop I use and ask them what they need on their end.

Thank you all for the help!