Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 11-24-2012, 12:18 PM
Vendor/Retailer
CGN Contributor

Default Any experience with chromebooks?

Been looking for something to replace my netbook that is a bit larger. Typing in classes on that little thing is getting to be to much of a pain, and my batteries are starting to crap out on me finally.

Been thinking about going with the Samsung chromebook (http://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome...hromebook.html). Looks to be a decent size, decent battery life, and do what I need it to do. I still have my desktop for gaming and graphics/web work.

I use pretty much all google services already, the only thing I will be missing out on software wise that I use regularly is quickbooks, but I have a different laptop or my desktop for when I need to do invoicing. Just need it for dicking around online, and responding to emails, along with taking notes in class.

Trying to see if anyone has any experience with these, or anything similar.Trying to keep in the 300 or less range.

And no, I don't want a damn Mac.

10% off slings for calguns members. PM for details. Like us on facebook!
Old 11-24-2012, 12:24 PM
Calguns Addict

They are GTG...

For $250 bucks whats not to like?

For text entry, surfing, e-mail, etc. what more could you want...
Old 11-24-2012, 12:29 PM
Vendor/Retailer
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenkeen View Post
They are GTG...

For $250 bucks whats not to like?

For text entry, surfing, e-mail, etc. what more could you want...
Only thing that is bothering me is internal battery. I usually have an extra battery (and need it) with my netbook. Just noticed this.

10% off slings for calguns members. PM for details. Like us on facebook!
Old 11-25-2012, 2:49 PM

It is kind of restrictive, everything runs in the browser, so need to be always connect. But give it a try, it may suit your need or just return it.

Sent from my SGH-i937 using Board Express

"The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion." - British Statesman
Old 12-03-2012, 3:53 AM

ever look at the Acer Chromebook? Looks more attractive than the 249 Samsung... Also the Acer is 199... I don't have any experience with them though... I use a damn Mac lol (that made me laugh) If you get one let me know how it works for you. I was thinking of picking one up for my sister. Good luck on your pick bro, whatever one you pick. Enjoy your day...

Edit: heres a link to it http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/model/NU.SH7AA.004

Proud Christian
Proud Father
Proud Libertarian
Proud NRA Member
Azusa Pacific Pride!! Go Cougars!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjfearl View Post
Copious amounts of hookers and blow will cure what ails you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. E View Post
I can't find anything funny to say about how Dicks suck...

Last edited by Firerescuebatt07; 12-03-2012 at 4:00 AM..
Old 12-03-2012, 5:52 AM
Calguns Addict

For not much more money you could get a real laptop, especially this time of year. On BF they Walmart and Frys had a couple laptops for < $200 (which of course sold out quickly) but even after that there were others for < $300 with better specs. The machines in the latter category overlap in price but are far more capable than a netbook, with several gigs of RAM and at least 320G HD. Snoop around for deals on notebook forums.
Old 12-03-2012, 6:47 AM

I just added myself to the Amazon list on the Chromebook, since they are "sold out" but ship every couple of days to their list. I keep buying myself Christmas presents.. the wife and kids are going to be pissed.

If you are entrenched in Google docs, which it sounds like you are, it is the perfect 2nd laptop for you. Leave the other laptop setup at home for invoicing, webwork etc. And "lug" that 2.5 LB Chromebook to anything you do outside of the house.

To further think about the abilities of a chromebook, check out chrome apps.
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/c...&utm_medium=ha

You'll be surprised if you are willing to rethink the way you "work" and using available apps. How great your work flow changes and improves.

I'd recommend looking into Evernote, it has changed my digital publishing workflow, I can now write from anywhere I am at or in the spare moments of life be it 5 minutes or 35 minutes.

I am mainly buying a Chromebook for the following reasons:
  • to stop lugging around a monstrosity of a laptop (one of those cheepie target ad deals)
  • give me an actual keyboard, which the Samsung Chromebooks come highly reviewed., instead of trying to touch type on a tablet keyboard.
  • offline Google docs and Evernote, something my android phone seems incapable of doing.
  • The ability to write text is the hardest part, for me, on getting anything digitally published, having something with a keyboard hopefully will enable me to do this again.
I used to do all my typing on a netbook, but I tried to go full tablet and that failed miserably. Hence why I am acquiring the Samsung Chromebook 3G version, Staples has them instock/shipping, but I decided to just wait a few days for mine tax free from amazon.

I am going for the 3G version to get the 100 Megs free from Verizon for 2 years, which also gives you a global 3G modem in your Chromebook and the luxury of not having to find a wifi spot or turn your cellphone into a hotspot for quick websurfing.

Last edited by gemoose23; 12-03-2012 at 6:49 AM..
Old 10-14-2013, 6:17 PM

Not sure why to spend money on such a restrictive and limited device. Even a Surface RT has higher utility in that price range

Sent from Lumia 1020 Tapatalk

"The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion." - British Statesman
Old 10-15-2013, 12:37 AM

If you plan on doing anything you plan on keeping the rights to on your laptop I would avoid the hell out of a Chromebook because of Google Drive's terms of service.

A friend working at Google for the past couple of years has claimed that their work issued Chromebook was essentially useless when not connected to the internet. Internet connectivity was apparently a problem at certain points on the Google campus.