Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

View Poll Results: Why don't you shoot competition?
It's not training or tactics 6 10.71%
I don't know where to start 24 42.86%
It probably costs too much money and takes too much time 25 44.64%
You can only have so many hobbies 10 17.86%
My wife/girlfriend won't have it 2 3.57%
I would rather just practice alone 8 14.29%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-26-2012, 5:11 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmc27 View Post

Just wanted to throw out, sitting and waiting is commonplace at many other competition/club type events.

My example: motorcycle racing (competitive rr and/or mx). Most often, the competitor signs up early am, gets a short practice or two early am, and sits around for hours waiting for their one or two races. People who might be further along in their training and abilities might race a couple extra classes, but the vast majority find themselves sitting in the pits most of day. I also remember doing some triathlons a couple decades ago...while your one race might be over in an hour or 90min, most of day is wiped out waiting for start time, and/or awards at end of day. Mt. Bike cross-country and DH racing was the same...

All part of it.

Put me in the "Going to do it" column.
Oh, it's definitely a part of other things. And it's partially why I also don't do those other things. My hobbies are my time, for me. Not waiting around. If I'm stuck waiting around, I could be getting something else done.
Old 11-26-2012, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc1138 View Post
Oh, it's definitely a part of other things. And it's partially why I also don't do those other things. My hobbies are my time, for me. Not waiting around. If I'm stuck waiting around, I could be getting something else done.
Gotcha.

When I was much younger I used to snow-ski a lot, and it became that I sooo hated the liftlines on weekends at Mammoth. Too much standing around. Got really spoiled living up there one winter...weekday skiing only back in tha day.

Now, I've found, it's good to rest and chat. Liftlines aren't as hated as they were when younger.

Even the centuries like HK35 mentioned take all day for me now (up with the sun, eating and prep, 6:30/6:45 riding and 3 or 4 reststops, and eating/jacuzzi/passing out afterwords).

Fortunatly I can deal with the time vs actual shooting okay now.

It >IS< a good point you guys make about that.

Old 11-27-2012, 1:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhlan1 View Post
Hard to figure out where to start. Also a little intimidating to join a bunch of strangers and ask "can I play with you, please, and by the way, I suck and don't know squat" Really do want to step off that curb, want to get out and move, but that first step is a tad daunting.
Hell, I'm still a noob. I started USPSA, IDPA & Multigun earlier this year. Don't know about other ranges, but RR&GC has required class(es) you must take before you're able to shoot a match or shoot on the "Action Range." For a small fee, you take the class where they cover the basics, rules, etc. then get you on the static line drawing from a holster & also a run or two on a practice stage if time permits. Good thing is you also get "Range Bucks" to get you entry in your 1st match. Most people in the class were/are noobs too, so you won't be the only one.

A lot of people suck in the beginning. Well, except for those with natural talent & are good at everything... I, myself forget to aim most times. I hit the targets, just not in the optimal areas. I still enjoy it though, cause it sure as hell beats standing in one position & shooting. Good thing also, (as previously mentioned), there are quite a few people that are more than willing to give you tips. You also learn by watching how people do their runs/attack the stages. You can ask them why they did it a certain way & from my experience, most are willing to help. Of course, there's some sour grapes, but that's expected in any large group. Richmond also has IPSC Practice on most Saturdays from 9:30am to 1:30pm. I've gotten quite a bit of tips from the other shooters as well as the RO's and I've also been called out on my near mistakes, but you learn from those as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJ View Post
I need a buddy to show me how to get started. Its hard to just walk in cold, especially when (as you guys point out) much of it is social. And I'm not very good at breaking the ice socially (think wallflower at the school dance )
You don't really need a buddy. Take the class, the RO/Instructor will get you up to speed. As far as not getting enough shooting in from some of the other posters, this past Saturday's IPSC Practice I got in several runs on the stage set up & used up the 400 rounds I brought with me. Of course the damn plate rack killed my time but hey, it's still a crapload of fun.

Hope my ramblings made sense. It is, after all, 2:30 in the morning...
Old 11-27-2012, 2:43 PM

I'm a noob also. I started competition about a year ago and only started shooting maybe two years before that.
I went to a competition "cold". I did not know anyone (or anything for that matter). I made it a point to tell them at registration that I am a new shooter. I was put on squad and placed at the end of the line up so I could see what other shooters were doing. Everyone was very friendly and helpful. Some of the shooters gave me helpful hints in terms of equipment and shooting technique. All in all it was a very positive experience and I was hooked. I still suck at it, but I'm getting better and more importantly I enjoy it.
Competition is not for everyone, but I don't think anyone should be intimidated by the process or by your perceived lack of skill. Try it, you may like it.
Old 11-27-2012, 4:20 PM

Id love to get into USPSA or IDPA cometitions in the SF bay area but everytime I check out videos shot at local or non-local events all I see are the young and or very competative guys all dressed out in there sponors shirts with the top of the line equiptment shooting fast and well. Thats what it looks like all the shooters are semi or pros and there is no place for beginners

I'm older, fater and not so fast anymore and those shots where you need to get to your knees or laying on the ground is just something my body cant do well with. Nothing would be more embarasing than getting down on a knee and cant get up to finish the string.

I would love to find a local club where us older slower guys are welcome and dont feel the need to be fast and go slow, hell walk from target to target. I know that not the object of the game but the sport is not all that friendly to us older guys IMO. Yea Yea cowboy shooting. Well Im not so interested in that plus I dont have the minimum required types of gun they shoot.
Old 11-27-2012, 4:22 PM
Veteran Member

I just don't have enough money for ammo.
Old 11-27-2012, 4:46 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdawg View Post
Id love to get into USPSA or IDPA cometitions in the SF bay area but everytime I check out videos shot at local or non-local events all I see are the young and or very competative guys all dressed out in there sponors shirts with the top of the line equiptment shooting fast and well. Thats what it looks like all the shooters are semi or pros and there is no place for beginners

I'm older, fater and not so fast anymore and those shots where you need to get to your knees or laying on the ground is just something my body cant do well with. Nothing would be more embarasing than getting down on a knee and cant get up to finish the string.

I would love to find a local club where us older slower guys are welcome and dont feel the need to be fast and go slow, hell walk from target to target. I know that not the object of the game but the sport is not all that friendly to us older guys IMO. Yea Yea cowboy shooting. Well Im not so interested in that plus I dont have the minimum required types of gun they shoot.
Honestly, from my experience, you just described IDPA. The game has less rounds fired, less movement and there is no Open division (i.e. space guns). Hence, the demographics tend to skew older than USPSA. There is some truth to the statement that USPSA is like rally car racing and IDPA is like scored parallel parking. No offense intended to IDPA'ers.

Also both Steel Challenge and GSSF require little or no movement.

Last edited by SuperSet; 11-27-2012 at 4:47 PM.. Reason: Added steel challenge stuff
Old 11-27-2012, 5:08 PM

Quote:

If it's not too far, you should consider Sac Valley. We have 2 USPSA clubs and a huge IDPA club. We get noobs and old guys every week; any one that is safe is welcome. I'm 63 with bad knees and I don't feel like I'm slowing the squad down at all. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QT8x79hFqnk&feature=plcp
You don't need a race gun. Any gun in your safe has a division. Remember, every shooter was a new shooter at one time.
actionshooter.org has the schedule
Old 11-27-2012, 6:19 PM

Hey RDAWG, I'm an older guy too, 58. I shoot a good ole 1911 with no modifications. I shoot single stack so I am limited to 8 rnd magazine, plenty of mag changes during a stage. I haven't shot IDPA because it looks too restrictive. You don't have to be an olympic sprinter to have fun in USPSA. Give it a try, you may like the pace.
Old 11-27-2012, 6:20 PM

Quote:

\
Richmond is in the neighborhood. I've been shooting USPSA for a little while, I'm slow and not very accurate, but I have fun. Don't worry about kneeling down and not being able to get up....just plan so that's your last shooting spot and we'll help you get up Oakdale is a bit further, but they have a "beginners" shoot on the first Sunday of the month and a regular USPSA shoot on the 3rd Sunday. They even start late, so you don't have to get out of bed too early.
Old 11-27-2012, 6:24 PM

Shooting matches, you go for the shooting and stay because you like the people you shoot with.

Keith
Old 11-27-2012, 8:25 PM
Dazed & Confused
CGN Contributor

I started shooting Service Rifle matches at Pendleton this year with Santa Margarita Gun club. The matches do last a long time, about 6 hours. You only shoot 88 rounds per match, but your always busy.

The best equipment has no effect on scores because let's face it, a service rifle AR15 is pretty much the same no matter who makes it. Yes, a White Oak may shoot 1/2 moa, but a stock NM RRA shoots 3/4 moa. So money can't buy success in Service rifle.

Why does it take so long? usually because you squad up with 3 other people. While one shoots, another keeps his score, and another squad member is in the pits pulling targets. Its a workout, and there seems to be no time to just take it all in, and its somewhat a physical day, but everyone has the same day. Its not like matches I've shot at Steel Madness where some of the shooters shirk their duty to help re-set the stage and watch their squad partners do all of their work for them for all six stages...which really makes the day drag along. At Pendleton everyone does their work and everyone pitches in.

The crowd is very good at SMGC and also at Burbank. The shooters there are all phenomenal, yet they don't show it except at the line, and they also will help you learn. I would say before I started shooting with SMGC I thought I was a good shooter, but I really didn't know how to shoot until May of this year, and I am 56 years old. Now hitting a basketball at 600 yards with an AR with iron sights is not a big accomplishment, where before I felt proud to hit the steel targets at Angeles with a scope because I didn't know my zeros, my drops, or the correct weight bullet to shoot in my guns. Once I got on target I did fine, but in a match, you need t get on paper within two shots, so you really need to know your weapon and your ammo...and how to read the wind. Its all simple, unless you don't know it...which most people don't until they plod through a first match.

Competition makes us better shooters, and if you get out of your comfort zone for just a few days you will open yourself up to a whole new world of knowledge and experience which one day may really come in handy.

Its not for everyone, but it should be...except extremists...let them continue to just bang away at burro.