Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 11-22-2012, 10:38 PM

Default Is it worth going to Crossroads of the West Gun Show?

Any cost savings on reloading components? I know you save on haz-mat & shipping, but anyone know how much they are charging for this stuff?

Last time I was there it was basically the same if not a tad bit more expensive to buy at the show (if you count the cost of admission).

I've noticed that a lot of the online retailers have jacked up their prices for components, wanted to know if anyone know's what miwall and the like are going to charge this weekend?

For example, I checked primers a few weeks ago and they were $25/1k online... now $30-32.
Old 11-22-2012, 11:14 PM

It depends on what you plan on purchasing. In my experience it is cheaper to buy at the show than the local shops selling reloading supplies. Last purchases I made at the show CCI #41 SRMP were $25/1k and local shops are bending over customers for close to $40/1k for the same primers. If you do purchase powders it really only pays off if you buy the 8# kegs. They are not as cheap as online but it is almost a wash after tax and entry to the show vs shipping and hazmat. It is still cheaper than local shops again.
Old 11-23-2012, 1:48 AM

Powder under $20 and primers under $25.
I always stock up on both when I go.
Old 11-23-2012, 9:16 AM

Considering the cost to drive to the show, paying to park, standing in a long line to pay the exhorbitant admission, battling the crowds to get to the bullet, powder and primer sales only to find the all too familiar "sold out" sign, the gun show, IMO, is a waste of time and money. If you want decent prices on reloading components, there are local dealers that have what you want and if you shop hard enough, competitive prices are available. Try Phillips Wholesale in Covina. http://phillipswholesale.net/phillip..._specials.html

Add costs for your time, gas, parking and admission to your gun show purchases and you'll probably see that you can come out ahead by patronizing your local gun shops.

Last edited by Dutch Henry; 11-23-2012 at 9:19 AM..
Old 11-23-2012, 9:46 AM
I need a LIFE!!

its a fun activity
Old 11-23-2012, 12:18 PM
Veteran Member

Sure ain't! At least if you're actually looking to buy something...no.

Fun activity? Yes.

Need a holster?, please email us at StrappedKydex@gmail.com for any holsters, mag carriers, and more. Custom jobs welcomed!
Old 11-23-2012, 2:42 PM

I'm in Irvine, so the gas is just a few dollars.

I really was only looking to spend about $400 on reloading components, looking for some small pistol primers, small rifle primers, H335 & W231, some berry's bullets for 9mm and whatever the cheapest .224 bullets they have.

I'm thinking it's going to be a lot more than waiting and just paying the extra in shipping and getting pulled powder/bullets.
Old 11-23-2012, 3:24 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I would just go and experience it for yourself
Old 11-23-2012, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYellowDart View Post

I really was only looking to spend about $400 on reloading components, looking for some small pistol primers, small rifle primers, H335 & W231, some berry's bullets for 9mm and whatever the cheapest .224 bullets they have.

I'm thinking it's going to be a lot more than waiting and just paying the extra in shipping and getting pulled powder/bullets.

Have you checked out the prices at powder valley? I load rifle ammo, for me, the powder valley has the best prices for powder, primer, and projo.
Old 11-23-2012, 6:32 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

If you're interested I'm going to place an order at PVI soon. You can jump on and split shipping and hazmat. PM me. I'm located near you.

The fate of the wounded rest in the hands of the ones who apply the first dressing.
Old 11-23-2012, 11:24 PM

i stopped by miwall today while i was setting up, they only have 22 1lb jars of H335 for the show and they jacked up the price to $23 + tax

plenty of primers in stock from the looks of things

im going to go make my powder purchase right as the doors are opening. perks of being a vendor and getting in early
Old 11-23-2012, 11:57 PM

Seems like powder valley is sold out of everything that I need.... I'm prob going to check out the show and keep my fingers crossed on the prices.
Old 11-24-2012, 12:01 AM

dang no 8lb jugs?

in 1lb containers it's just way to expensive. One jug online including haz mat, shipping, etc. is still going to be less... and I'd be buying more than one.
Old 11-24-2012, 6:29 AM

Quote:
dang no 8lb jugs?

in 1lb containers it's just way to expensive. One jug online including haz mat, shipping, etc. is still going to be less... and I'd be buying more than one.
Do a group order with buddies and order 4 or 8 kegs, only way to go.

Crazy. Walk into a gun store in Salt Lake and powder is $150/8# , primers $30 for 1,000, every day of the year they are open. The inflated regime in CA is getting a bit annoying whether its $5/gal gasoline, insane taxes and from my last experience, an attempt of a 30% markup of primers at the register at a popular outdoors chain.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:38 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Seems like powder valley is sold out of everything that I need.... I'm prob going to check out the show and keep my fingers crossed on the prices.
PVI seems to be in stock on everything. What are you looking for?

I also have a Graf's account if you want items.

The fate of the wounded rest in the hands of the ones who apply the first dressing.
Old 11-24-2012, 2:23 PM

Yes and no. Go to the show if you want. Hope, but don't count on getting good deals. I picked up primers $25/1000, and .45 tmj 230g bullets $55/500 last month.
Old 11-24-2012, 3:17 PM

At $15.00 a head plus gas and wear & Tear on your vehicle and then having to battle like cattle through the booths, I would say your better off buying online. At least from the experience I had this morning at the Costa Mesa show. Never again!!! Could've gotten everything I was looking for online for the same price or maybe a dollar or two more.
Old 11-25-2012, 11:01 AM

If you are going specifically for components then I would say don't bother. Powder is typically $20 lb and primers are $25-$30/1000. Not a bad deal but they sell out of most popular powders quickly. Another thing to consider is their primer selection differs each show. Last time I went they only had CCI, the time before that they only had Remington.

Plus, you factor in the cost of admission and parking and it really is a bit more expensive than buying online. For $400 worth, you can get a powder valley order and save money even with the haz mat cost.

I worked out the math once, I think you only need to buy 4 pounds to break even. If you group buy with some fellow cal gunners you can easily get the max weight and split shipping and haz mat.

Now, if you are going to the gun show to check out everything and go with the attitude that if you get the components that you want, great, but if you don't, no big deal then I would say go.

I typically go every 6 months or so and if they have some powder or projectiles that I want in stock then I consider it a bonus and I pick them up. But when I first started reloading there were too many times I went to a show wanting a specific powder or projectile only to find they either didn't stock it at that show or were sold out. So now I go with no expectations and if I score something I want/need I view it as a bonus.

Old 11-25-2012, 12:24 PM

I went yesterday, got there about 1:30. It was jammed, crowds in front of anything ammo. I hadn't been in over a year and probably won't go again for quite awhile. I don't know reloading yet since I am new to it, but what I did see was not worth the entrance just to save.
I went for a knife at the Knife Deal Plus booth, ZT factory second. Over 100 off made it worth while.
Old 11-25-2012, 7:45 PM

I went Saturday around 10am and got inline for powder around noon. It was fun talking to other reloaders and got what I felt was good prices on powder.
The gun show was worth the admission... I'm over the AR/ AK thing, so I avoided most of the booths and now that I reload, there was no need to bring the dolly.
I walked away with powder, brass, frog lube and another cheap knife to throw in the bugout bag.
People were friendly and I always enjoyed the crackling of stun guns.

My only complaint, is that it's not the place to look for highend gear.

Browning 1911-22
Old 11-25-2012, 9:14 PM

Well I ended up going to the show because I wanted to pick up a few knick knacks along with the components, and I just wanted to look around.

In all I spent about $400 on components. I added it up later and it would've been about $30 cheaper OTD to have purchased the same stuff online. Which isn't to bad. (basically about 7% more to buy at the show)

I think this will be the last time I go to the fair though.
I was hoping to find some deals on misc. stuff, like ammo cans, a cheap rifle case, 7.62x54r (non-magnetic) ammo, .22lr, mags, etc. but was really surprised to see how much the vendors wanted.

I.e. I saw some asking $20 for basic ammo cans, $30 for a Marlin 795 mag, $110 for rifle cases that go for half that online.

I was shocked at how much the smaller vendors were charging. So many were asking for almost double what the online prices are.

I broke down and bought an overpriced rifle case just because I needed one and didn't want to wait for shipping, but when I handed the guy the cash he told me I had to pay tax too... it was a cash transaction and I didn't get a receipt which makes me feel like I just paid that guys beer that night.

A lot of the gear looked like it was pretty questionable in quality, especially the magazines. Some looked ok, but there were more than a few that were pretty bad. When I was standing in line at the magazine vendors booth there was a guy complaining about a mag that he just purchased that had a broken follower and was basically getting shrugged off.

It was really just depressing, it seemed more like a swap meet than a gun show.

Lastly, the moved the parking to an even further location, not that big of a deal when you're just walking, but when you're carrying 50lbs in components every extra foot sucks.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:29 AM

Yeah I've been ripped at gun shows before on an AK trigger group that was romanian placed in a tapco box and I didn't know to check, dangit

Worth it? meh maybe ... I'd say probably not...just my 2 cents

edit-yeah more of a swapmeet for sure, lotta china junk

I've done a lot of walking with a few thousand rounds of 9mm....the whole show in fact....it got old fast!
Old 11-29-2012, 8:22 PM

Anyone know the name of the magazine retailer that is in the courtyard? (out in the middle)
The one with thousands of mags stacked on the tables?
Old 01-13-2013, 6:56 AM

My visit to the show at Cow Palce Jan, 12 2013

TOTAL WASTE OF TIME AND MONEY!

This was my first gun show and I was completely disappointed. I paid $8 to park, $12 to get in a very crowded small garage sale.

They crammed all the crap into a very small space, with no restrooms, and no chill spot.

The crowds were so bad, at one point people started shoving and hit my 10 yr son in the head with a gun case. The only quite place in this crammed event was at the KKK-nazi table.....WOW. The whole time reporters are outside talking about gun control.

Don't worry gun haters, there were NO guns at this small basement swap-meet. The ammo table had 50 to 100 people pushing, fussing, fighting in line to buy bulk garbage ammo.

If you want to buy rosted pecans, cheap LED accessories, or jewelry this is your place. It was nothing more them a mix of red-neck garage sale and bridal shower gone bad.

The best and only table we enjoyed was the VERY expensive tachi sword table.

The only one who benefited from this event is the cow place and Crossroads of the West Gun Shows.

Save your money, support your local gun shops in the bay area. Go by and visit with them, you will get more then the Crossroads of the West Gun Shows.
Old 01-13-2013, 7:02 AM

Nope it ain't worth it. Prices way too high and lines way too long.
Old 01-13-2013, 7:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpo628 View Post
Powder under $20 and primers under $25.
I always stock up on both when I go.
Powder yesterday was $23 (tax included) and primers were $30 (before tax).

PMAGs were market price (all sold out at $75 or lower) and the vendors that had them wanted $90 for the kits.

If you're going for the show and overall experience, the powder/primer pricing is reasonable. If, however, you're specifically looking to save money (cost of driving [time/gas], bridge tolls, admission fee, parking fee, etc.) I believe it's better to buy in bulk online and pay the single (careful on which vendor you chose for multiple hazmat fees and unreasonable high shipping charges) hazmat fee and reasonable shipping. The selection of powders (never saw a line before for powder/primers) was THIN.
Old 01-14-2013, 3:41 AM
Calguns Addict

5000 primers CCI #41 was like $119.95, and the same with Winchester SPP, no shipping, no hazmat, and not a whole-lot of Liberals lurking around... it's a win-win.

124gr 9mm bullets was like 69.95/1000, comparable (well closer than Internet prices) with a group-buy, so with this deal, AND primers @ that price it made my last trip worth it...

I didn't see any 8lb, or 4lb jugs of power, and 1lb'ers were pretty limited in selection.

Last edited by the86d; 01-14-2013 at 3:48 AM..
Old 01-14-2013, 6:54 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Like the86d, I bought 5,000 WSP for about $119 as well (for my 9mm) so well worth it to me since my nephew paid for lunch afterwards. They didn't have the powder I wanted but the 100yrd. standard targets where pretty inexpensive when compared to paying $1 each at Reeds. I think they're only $0.25 each so if you buy enough of them, you'll easily get your money back in admission if you've been using the ranges targets all this time.

I only go if my nephew wants to go because he doesn't reload so he just buys ammo. But like others have said, it's basically one huge garage sale. I don't think these people can ever compete with online stores in the long run... and during this gun-ban frenzie, it's common for these people to mark up everything. Until the frenzie is over, I'm buying online as much as possible.
Beretta 92FS | SA 1911 Loaded | S&W M&P15-22 | TC .44 Bull Barrel | Colt LE6920CMP-B | S&W 627-5 PC | S&W M&P 9 | Mossberg 500 | Rem 700 VSF | Benelli Montefeltro 12GA | CZ455 Varmint HB | Ruger 10/22 50th Anniv. | SigSauer P220 Combat
Old 01-14-2013, 7:44 AM

There great for beef jerky
Old 03-18-2013, 8:08 PM

Angry Attended most recent gun show at OC fair

I was at the Most recent Gun Show at the OC Fair and was shocked not only at the lines but the price gauging. I was quite disappointed at the vendors taking advantage of the people who have supported them throughout the years. Magazines that I paid $19 for at an earlier show were now $76. How crazy is that? I wont attend another show for a long time. A message has to be sent. I support gun rights and the 2nd amendment, and there are plenty of online retailers that I can support.