Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 11-25-2012, 1:16 PM

Default Just bought a Ruger 22/45. Any Tips?

Just bought a 22/45 on sale at Turners at 275$, had to jump on it. Should be a fun/inexpensive project! Super stoked, can't wait. Any tips you got for me? What ammo should I be buying? Stay away from Winchester WB right?

Just ordered:
-TK Magazine Disconnect Hammer Bushing = 10$ shipped
-Volquartsen Ruger Exact Edge Extractor = 14$ shipped
-Shopping around for Magazines/Speedloader at the moment.

Going to break her in before taking her apart/installing new parts etc. What else should I be looking at in the future? Any Sights you recommend? Thanks for your time.
Old 11-25-2012, 1:57 PM

do not force disassembly and reassembly. there are key points where you have to put the magazine in and out

Check these videos out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGEtudNJua4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeY9s...hannel&list=UL
Old 11-25-2012, 2:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by INFAMOUS762X39 View Post
Just bought a 22/45 on sale at Turners at 275$, had to jump on it. Should be a fun/inexpensive project! Super stoked, can't wait. Any tips you got for me? What ammo should I be buying? Stay away from Winchester WB right?

Just ordered:
-TK Magazine Disconnect Hammer Bushing = 10$ shipped
-Volquartsen Ruger Exact Edge Extractor = 14$ shipped
-Shopping around for Magazines/Speedloader at the moment.

Going to break her in before taking her apart/installing new parts etc. What else should I be looking at in the future? Any Sights you recommend? Thanks for your time.
I got one on the same deal. I've really been looking into this as well. So far what I'm doing is:

1. A removal of the ball detent (slingshot mod)
2. Removal of the LCI (loaded chamber indicator)
3. Removal of the mag disconnect and installation of the TK bushing
4. Polishing of the contact points on the sear, hammer, and trigger plunger, trigger bar

I'm still considering getting a Volquartsen target trigger to adjust pre/post travel.
Old 11-25-2012, 3:48 PM
Cry Havok!
CGN Contributor

You removing the mag disconnect is the biggest thing you can do. It makes assembly so much easier and you can actually remove a magazine, making the right move.
"Para ser libre, un hombre debe tener tres cosas, la tierra, una educacion y un fusil. Siempre un fusil ! (To be free, a man must have three things; land, an education and a rifle. Always a rifle)" -Emiliano Zapata.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsrocket1 View Post
Of course they are in free territory where they can pick up ammunition at the local 5 and dime without going through a criminal background check. All we get is legalized pot.
Old 11-26-2012, 6:58 AM

Install a VQ Sear, it will lighten the trigger pull. I also like the VQ triggers for removing some of the pre-travel.
Old 11-26-2012, 7:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by comblock View Post
do not force disassembly and reassembly. there are key points where you have to put the magazine in and out

Check these videos out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGEtudNJua4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeY9s...hannel&list=UL
This.

Also, if you intend to make mods, suggest you shoot it before doing them. That way you know the pistol is working before mods, eliminating possibilities if you run into a problem after mods are completed.
Old 11-26-2012, 8:02 AM

Buy an ultimate clip loader. One of the greatest accessories for a 22/45 out there.
Old 11-26-2012, 2:39 PM
Veteran Member

No need to worry about ammo. the 22/45 will eat anything. But if you are talking about accuracy, some will be better than others... but not enough to matter for any recreational shooter. Enjoy it.

Ditto on the loader. Loading 22LR by hand is a PITA because it's too easy to pull the trigger. Wish there was a speedloader for the GSG 1911-22.

#
Old 11-26-2012, 3:07 PM

Excellent gun - fun and cheap to shoot - everyone loves my mk3. Congratulations!

This is the best loader around - when it works perfectly it's a snap. when it doesn't it's still faster than anything else.

also, you'll want to add a mag ejector. These guns (at least my mk3) don't naturally drop the mag when you press the eject button...rather it unlatches and sits there. Adding this $30 part makes the mag pop out on its own as you experience with most semi-auto pistols. link to Brownell's I see they only offer this for the mk3 so the 22/45 might not have the problem.

Ammo - mine's not a picky eater. Though I've noticed that the CCI blazers have a waxy coating that sometimes makes the loader I mentioned above act a bit finicky. I've actually had no problems with WB Winchester - shoots better than green Remington in mine. `

One important note...
Field-stripping is a trick that requires patience and youtube videos. It's not hard, just specific. However, I strongly recommend you only remove the barrel from the lower receiver on days when you have plenty of time and have meditated. The challenging part is aligning the holes for the mainspring pin when you reassemble the gun. You have to line up the holes just perfectly and since it's a VERY tight fit and the big pin passes through the lower receiver before it reaches the rear of the upper.

FWIW.

Last edited by sberley; 11-26-2012 at 3:11 PM..
Old 11-26-2012, 7:09 PM

Awesome thanks for the input everyone. I will shoot her as much as I can before doing Mods.

Couple of mods I plan on doing down the road after doing some more homework.
-Trigger/Internals Polish Mod with some Flitz.
-Grip Mod: Dremel/Drill frame and add bushing/screws to take 1911 Grips. I am interested in Hogue wrap Arounds.
-Removal of the ball detent (slingshot mod) and LCI.

Also Interested in a Burris Fastfire III Red Dot. Just brainstorming!

Another Question: What's the best site to order 22/45 Magazines?

Last edited by INFAMOUS762X39; 11-26-2012 at 7:11 PM..
Old 11-26-2012, 7:57 PM

Yeah!!!! Have fun with it !
Old 11-26-2012, 9:03 PM

I highly recommend the Volquartsen Mark II hammer bushing because I hate the magazine disconnect. Worsens gun in every way. However besides that and even before it go fire it 1,000 times before you do anything else.

I was looking at the exact-edge extractor too but between 4 Ruger Mark II, Mark III and 22/45 pistols there's never been extraction issues.

Nor issues with the LCI. Infact its mostly a cosmetic issue people have yet its also been shown to actually help improve feeding of variety of ammo by having the blade of the LCI help guide the next round up the feed ramp.

Best upgrade for a .22 is a couple tons of ammo.