Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 11-21-2012, 3:43 PM

Default Dumb Xbox 360 question...

So my wife bought me a first gen 360 many years ago (8 or 9). It's never broken despite their horrible reputation for crapping out. Of course I don't play it very much. I bought the wireless adapter for it years ago on amazon and like the set up. With netflix instant view it's replaced our tv service as well. Now it's getting real rickety and making some crazy noises. So I went to look into buying another one, there's like a half dozen different 'grades' of xbox now? So alittle help here:
1) All i will use this for is TV and playing COD every once and awhile.
2) What's the best cheaper model with the wifi adapter built in? Anything else I should be aware of?
Old 11-21-2012, 3:47 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

The very most basic new generation XBox will work here's a link that compares them all:

http://socialcompare.com/en/comparis...els-comparison

Vet since 1978

NRA Life Member

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn
Old 11-21-2012, 3:49 PM
Calguns Addict

you should be aware that a new xbox is coming out soon. you might want to wait and just watch netflix on your computer for now.

or get a PS3 you won't have to pay for online gaming like xbox live.
it's a piss poor excuse to quit.
PSN name= entwie_dumayla
"I came into this world with someone else's blood on me and I don't mind leaving the same way..."

Old 11-22-2012, 4:47 PM
Calguns Addict

ROKU
Old 11-23-2012, 4:12 AM
In Memoriam

Buy a refurbished one from game stop.

I was in the same boat as the OP. I wasn't a big xbox player but rather bought it for HD DVD... remember those?

Lol...

Anyways when I discovered that I could use the 360 as an extender for my windows media center sure enough my really old 360 got the red ring...

Went to game stop and found a refurbished 360 for like 125$ and got one with the HDMI output.

Works great as an extender as long as I use a wired Gigabit setup.
Old 11-23-2012, 6:01 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by evidens83 View Post
^^!

AND blow the dust out of her once in a while...
Old 11-27-2012, 1:53 PM
學者, 羇客, 神戰士
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Or look around in the CGN Marketplace. There's always few listed that are decently priced. Since you already have a wireless adapter, you can re-use it on a fat/Jasper Xbox 360 and be good to go.

I picked up a nice bundle from another Calgunner last week for cheap cheap.
Old 12-07-2012, 9:17 PM

All the new slim 360s are wireless. Just pick up the cheaper model!
Old 12-07-2012, 9:23 PM
Veteran Member

Get the new xbox while they are on sale
Old 12-07-2012, 9:37 PM

Get a newer DVD or blue ray player. They will stream Netflix and hulu.

Sent from my Nexus 7
Old 12-07-2012, 9:39 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizFyrFyter View Post
Get a newer DVD or blue ray player. They will stream Netflix and hulu.

Sent from my Nexus 7
I got LG that does a great job. Forgot about that lol
Old 12-07-2012, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob7122 View Post
you should be aware that a new xbox is coming out soon. you might want to wait and just watch netflix on your computer for now.

Sony gets hacked waaaaaay to much for my taste... I was playing a Japanese game called Phantasy Star Online 2... (all Japanese text and language) and they had tons of problems with hackers changing stuff in the game...not to mention last year or so when everyone's credit card numbers were stolen twice! no bueno IMHO

Proud Christian
Proud Father
Proud Libertarian
Proud NRA Member
Azusa Pacific Pride!! Go Cougars!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjfearl View Post
Copious amounts of hookers and blow will cure what ails you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. E View Post
I can't find anything funny to say about how Dicks suck...
Old 02-03-2013, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firerescuebatt07 View Post
Sony gets hacked waaaaaay to much for my taste... I was playing a Japanese game called Phantasy Star Online 2... (all Japanese text and language) and they had tons of problems with hackers changing stuff in the game...not to mention last year or so when everyone's credit card numbers were stolen twice! no bueno IMHO
Not to burst your bubble, but I think xbox has just as many cheaters and hackers.....but nowto the OP's question, they make a 2gig xbox360 slim...perfect for what YOU need, streaming video, and since you only play a game or two, you dont need much hard drive space, and to me they look nicer black and shiny
Old 02-04-2013, 8:40 AM

I would highly recommend getting the model with a hard drive. There is just so much you cant do without it. I ended up buying the 4 gig model Christmas 2011, and found out quickly that I was not able to load some games, and content. I ended up going to GameStop and buying a 320G hard drive for it within 1 month.
Old 02-04-2013, 9:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firerescuebatt07 View Post
Sony gets hacked waaaaaay to much for my taste... I was playing a Japanese game called Phantasy Star Online 2... (all Japanese text and language) and they had tons of problems with hackers changing stuff in the game...
That was Sega getting hacked, not Sony.
Old 02-04-2013, 4:53 PM
short bus driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67goat View Post
Sony not hacked you say?

Most recent hack of the Sony PSN was admitted in October 2012

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 02-04-2013, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by siggysour View Post
Not to burst your bubble, but I think xbox has just as many cheaters and hackers.....but nowto the OP's question, they make a 2gig xbox360 slim...perfect for what YOU need, streaming video, and since you only play a game or two, you dont need much hard drive space, and to me they look nicer black and shiny
I think netflix app and updates will be cutting it close, but he surely doesnt need a 250 to stream and play a few games.

"Friends don't let friends play bubba gunsmith."
SlickmisterN
Old 02-05-2013, 6:22 AM
Calguns Addict

I just got an Xbox S 4gb with no additional HD...

I could not download any content with just the standard 4gb flash that came installed with the xbox BUT if you have up to 16GB of USB memory sticks you can use them and download content just fine.

If you are not ripping games to play them from your HD or downloading a bunch of crap, you can buy the Xbox S for less than $200 new and buy a $20 8gb memory stick. You can also use a standard HD to stream music and videos from but it wont let you save anything to it unless its the xbox HD or your (up to) 16gb USB flash stick.

My 4gb Xbox PLUS the cheapo 4GB USB flash stick I have inserted works fine so far but it is getting close to being full soon

Also, the new design Xbox S is over %40 quieter and runs %30 cooler. No more red ring of death

Also, sometimes I type in CAPS to emphasize a POINT. Please dont interpret that as YELLING. Sorry if I HURT any fuzzy little bunny's FEELINGS out there.
Old 02-05-2013, 9:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omnitravis View Post
I think netflix app and updates will be cutting it close, but he surely doesnt need a 250 to stream and play a few games.
I dont know where I said 250gb, but I do know I said 2gb
Old 02-05-2013, 9:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67goat View Post
Sony was hacked, I kind of liked the psn network was down for 2 weeks, my son was actually playing outside
Old 02-05-2013, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazeaglory View Post
I just got an Xbox S 4gb with no additional HD...

I could not download any content with just the standard 4gb flash that came installed with the xbox BUT if you have up to 16GB of USB memory sticks you can use them and download content just fine.

If you are not ripping games to play them from your HD or downloading a bunch of crap, you can buy the Xbox S for less than $200 new and buy a $20 8gb memory stick. You can also use a standard HD to stream music and videos from but it wont let you save anything to it unless its the xbox HD or your (up to) 16gb USB flash stick.

My 4gb Xbox PLUS the cheapo 4GB USB flash stick I have inserted works fine so far but it is getting close to being full soon

Also, the new design Xbox S is over %40 quieter and runs %30 cooler. No more red ring of death
They bumped the external storage limit to 32gb per device. My XBL gamertag has be hijacked twice. Sonys online system was down for a couple weeks last year because its security was compromised.
Old 02-05-2013, 3:34 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizFyrFyter View Post
They bumped the external storage limit to 32gb per device. My XBL gamertag has be hijacked twice. Sonys online system was down for a couple weeks last year because its security was compromised.
Wow, your right..lol

I was reading reviews that came out prior to the release of the 32gb patch...That is awesome considering I can get memory sticks for less than $10

And honestly, I dont see myself using more than 32gb for the games I play.

Also, sometimes I type in CAPS to emphasize a POINT. Please dont interpret that as YELLING. Sorry if I HURT any fuzzy little bunny's FEELINGS out there.
Old 02-25-2013, 8:03 PM

Get a 4 gig new slim model. If you run out of space you can have up to 32 gig USB thumb drives for additional memory. That's your cheapest option

The new slim model xboxes are quite nice compared to the older models. They are quiet and have built in wifi.
Old 02-26-2013, 5:46 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob7122 View Post

Not if this is true...

http://www.insidegamingdaily.com/201...line-with-ps4/

I would get a Xbox slim 4gb either new or refurbished and just use flash sticks for memory. You can use up to 32gb of flash inserted into the USB ports. If you need more storage space get the HD upgrade after you buy it for a discount on craigslist or somewhere. You can also search craigslist for people selling their brand new xbox's for real cheap.

Personally, If i had the money I would get BOTH ps4 (after its release) and xbox. Some games are not released on xbox that I would really love to play

Old 02-26-2013, 5:48 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iknownot View Post
Get a 4 gig new slim model. If you run out of space you can have up to 32 gig USB thumb drives for additional memory. That's your cheapest option

The new slim model xboxes are quite nice compared to the older models. They are quiet and have built in wifi.
Yes. They run I think if I dont have these figures backwards, %30 less hot and %60 quieter. Its a HUGE difference.

I have the new slim and my brother has the older white model and his sounds like a damn jumbo jet ...lol

Plus the new matte finish attracts less dust and just looks cool

Old 02-27-2013, 4:18 PM

There are tons and tons of things that will play netflix these days. So I'm with the camp of hold off and don't replace that 360 right now. What do you do for bluray? PS3 is a great solution as it is easily updated to stay current with the latest bluray specs. Fair disclosure is that I'm selling my PS3 so this isn't an ad to buy that. I'm just being honest. As to why I'm selling it? I work for a video game dev company and we are about to get the new kits

That being said, you can get a used, or better yet factory refurbished roku. There is google tv. Hell that little apple tv is pretty nice. Especially if you have an ipad. Can you say, iPad on your TV? Refurbed from Apple.com for $85

Oh and back to the ps3. If you have Amazon prime you get access to tons of free videos. it's almost like a free netflix subscription. And the PS3 will play that.

And, a ps3 will stream videos from a pc as well. There is an industry standard called DLNA. You can stream from all sorts of stuff. Hell my ps3 would read the files stored on my DirecTV box. It couldn't play the format but I could see them. That was several years ago, I bet someone has hacked together a player by now.

Oh and for anyone who uses the xbox or ps3 I highly recomend you get the keyboard adapter for your controllers. makes it much easier to search for stuff online and in netflix.

... ok, back to 360. Does anyone use a Kinect? Voice and gesture command for playing movies!

ok, I'm done.... for now.
Old 02-27-2013, 8:01 PM
學者, 羇客, 神戰士
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrex View Post
... ok, back to 360. Does anyone use a Kinect? Voice and gesture command for playing movies!
Yes. I have mixed opinions about it. Its a innovative feature. . . however I've run across instances where Kinect picks up on voice commands by accident when I was in the middle of a conversation with someone.
Old 03-05-2013, 3:09 PM

Kinect actually works pretty well for voice command and minority report type control of the dashboard and certain app control (like netflix).

It works better, in general than for some kinect games. Kinect games, depending one what you are doing and who developed it, can be pretty hit and miss on how well and accurate the kinect actually is.

The kinect games that work well though, are quite fun.

The other think Kinect is actually really good for is web cam usage. It's pretty good if you want to use it to web conference friends or family and you want to have a bunch of people on your end sitting on the sofa saying hello.

It'll automatically zoom in or out depending on how many people are in frame and the video quality is pretty good.

(Just another feature to point out for kinect).
Old 03-05-2013, 5:46 PM

My xbox 360 was doing the same, it would take five minutes to get to the home screen, if I was lucky. I used a t-8 torx and opened it up, opened the dvd drive also blew it out with the compressor and used a qtip to apply clp to laser track rods. put it back together and runs like new. I also agree with the above wait till the new xbox comes out.