Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 12-19-2012, 5:32 PM

Default Precious Metals - What Form?

Didn't want to hijack the other silver thread, but as I am soon to be debt free I am looking at more ways of saving and it would seem that a small amount of precious metals wouldn't be a terrible idea.

My question is what form would be best? Assuming you were to resell at a later date (non-SHTF) then all forms should be generally equal (aside from purity). Is this correct?

In a SHTF situation, I would imagine coinage is probably the easiest way to barter?

Thoughts?
Old 12-19-2012, 5:40 PM
Veteran Member

PMs are usually worthless in SHTF.
Old 12-19-2012, 5:41 PM

I buy silver dimes. cheapish verifiable not faked easily convertible well known

fat chance I'd take a new prod silver coin or bullion. they're faked by the million
Old 12-19-2012, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalDoc View Post

My question is what form would be best? Assuming you were to resell at a later date (non-SHTF) then all forms should be generally equal (aside from purity). Is this correct?

Thoughts?
Personally I like 1 oz silver round (.999 purity) trade units or liberdads. They are in a size and value that I can buy regularly and trade in small denominations. One of those rounds is a little north of 30 bucks, whereas an equivalent in gold is north of 1500. I buy a lot more 30 items than 1500 items so it is the right size for me.

It's really about what you have room to store and how you'll use it that should help drive your decision.

I'm on my phone (doubletap-a-talk) and I didn't look at your profile before posting so I don't know where you are. If you're in the inland empire area I can point you at the shop I like.

Hope it helps. If not, I'll issue a full refund post haste.
Old 12-19-2012, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootergmc View Post
Valid point.

Although with a good supply of mercury around, one could make amalgam fillings...
Old 12-19-2012, 5:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny1290 View Post
I buy silver dimes.
I like the 90% coins for value but they can be harder to float because the guy you're trading it to has to understand the melt value and their first inclination is that a dime is worth 10 cents. It's hard to use it to sweeten a deal if you have to explain how metals work to the guy first.
Old 12-19-2012, 5:53 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Valid point.

Although with a good supply of mercury around, one could make amalgam fillings...
Touche! However SHTF would dictate the use of a readily available pair of pliers.
Old 12-19-2012, 6:01 PM

I used to buy 4 or 5 1oz silver "bullion rounds" a week back when they were ~$4 - $6 a pop. I really don't think the margin is sufficient to sink a bunch of money into silver or gold at present.

If you want to invest in metals, I suggest looking for bargain on ammunition and components as I've seen a lot of increases in the prices of lead, brass, and copper. If you don't have a semi-auto rifle chambered in 7.62x54R - then you might want to consider such a purchase because this is about the only caliber left where you can buy ammunition for far less that it can be made.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:07 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Of course in a SHTF situation the main things would be food, water, guns, ammo, etc. But wouldn't PM's be a good idea in case you wanted to leave the US? Like if you wanted to flee to Canada? I would think PM's would spike in value & you could initially get by in Canada on your stash?
Old 02-14-2013, 3:35 PM
Free at Last!
CGN Contributor

Lead & copper are precious metals have you seen ammo prices
Old 02-14-2013, 3:48 PM

PMs will be good for after SHTF during the rebuild.

Eventually it always goes back to barter in every culture, and Federal Reserve Notes won't be useful.

Pre 64 coins, and 1oz rounds are good to have.
Old 02-14-2013, 3:50 PM
Calguns Addict

One ounce rounds. call your local coin shop and get their buy price for 500 ounces of rounds, and then for a 500 oz bar, and see the difference.
Old 02-14-2013, 4:13 PM
Free at Last!
CGN Contributor

Just FYI some Calguners are organizing a Gold Mining Weekend or something. Can't remember where I saw the thread.
Old 02-14-2013, 4:14 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

IBOHOD
Old 02-14-2013, 5:34 PM

On lighter note your probally are better off investing in the NEW precious metals LEAD, COPPER AND BRASS.

THE prices have trippled since december
Old 02-14-2013, 5:49 PM

I prefer 90% "junk" coins, easily recognizable, small denominations, and seldom counterfeited. Second favorite would be the US silver eagle. And 1/10th oz gold coins would be a good choice as well.

Whatever you do I'd recommend diversification, easily recognized, and clearly marked (stamped) items. Last but not least, get yourself a small quality digital scale for detecting counterfeits and weighing silver for your SHTF scenario.
Old 02-14-2013, 5:57 PM
Lifetime Contributor #1
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I like generic silver rounds and 10oz silver bars. The bars store easier, but I like to keep smaller denominations too.

That is purely for storing value.

I also collect numismatic silver, primarily lady liberty. I believe those to be the most beautiful coin minted.
Old 02-14-2013, 7:00 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I just started paying attention to my coins I get daily pretty recently.

I looked it up and found this, hope it helps for any coin noobs like me.

If anyone knows more or finds this inaccurate please post:

(all dates inclusive)
Quarters 1932-1964 - 90% silver, 10% copper
Dimes 1837-1964 - 90% silver, 10% copper
Nickels 1922-1981 - 99% nickel
Nickels 1982-2012 - 75% copper, 25% nickel
Pennies 1982 and older - 95% copper
WTB: multiautomatic ghost gun with a .30-caliber clip to disperse with 30 bullets within half a second. Must include shoulder thing that goes up. Memberships/Affiliations: CERT, ARRL ARES, NRA Patron Member, HRC, CGN/CGSSA, Cal-FFL
Old 02-15-2013, 8:26 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvenSoul View Post
Just FYI some Calguners are organizing a Gold Mining Weekend or something. Can't remember where I saw the thread.
I know a guy who panned for gold, he'd fine dust, but he panned every weekend for about a year and some change, then he had the gold made into an engagement ring for his fiance. I can't top that!
Old 02-15-2013, 8:29 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Correct. PMs are useful when currency becomes devalued (inflation or hyperinflation).

I mostly have silver, since you can't split up a $2000 gold coin easily in a transaction.

For SHTF you want food, medical supplies, ammo, clean water, etc.

"We are number one, all others are number two or lower." - The Sphinx

"Why does every discussion of culture always degrade into a discussion of burritos?" - GoZoner
Old 02-15-2013, 12:41 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Didn't want to hijack the other silver thread, but as I am soon to be debt free I am looking at more ways of saving and it would seem that a small amount of precious metals wouldn't be a terrible idea.

In a SHTF situation, I would imagine coinage is probably the easiest way to barter?

Thoughts?

If you're thinking about saving for your future, a balanced portfolio will generally include a position in precious metals. There are some basics, but how much / which flavor is a question for your financial advisor, not a gun forum!

In terms of a financial collapse / massive SHTF / WROL, then, as was said, you're better off making sure you're covered in the water / food / ammo / security / first aid / sanitation / etc depts.

During the worst of a theoretical WROL event, nobody is going to believe you when you say your shiny bar is real gold or silver. Like every business involving pms today, they're going to want to weigh it and at least conduct some physical / chemical / etc test on your metal to prove it's legitimacy and perhaps it's purity. Old school coins will probably be believable to the broadest likely audience, but they still won't have universal applicability, and as you know, they're noisy, heavy and depending on how they're valued, you might need a lot of them.

After WROL / financial collapse / etc subsides, and civilization returns, pms will be very useful, because there'll probably be no accepted paper money yet, but gems / pms will probably have good value.

So, it kinda depends on what you're looking to do, and for which scenarios you want to prep. Eventually, you'll hopefully be prepped for pretty much everything, so you'll eventually want to have some position in all the above areas, but the important thing is to do it wisely.
Old 02-15-2013, 2:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Right, unless you want to eat, buy bullets and save your life.
Old 02-15-2013, 2:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbud View Post
On lighter note your probally are better off investing in the NEW precious metals LEAD, COPPER AND BRASS.

THE prices have trippled since december
Old 02-15-2013, 10:03 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by problemchild View Post
Right, unless you want to eat, buy bullets and save your life.
I'm sure you have an example where PMs provided value in a true SHTF situation. I have yet to see one. PMs have value with economic structure.
Old 02-16-2013, 1:38 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32blownhemi View Post
Of course in a SHTF situation the main things would be food, water, guns, ammo, etc. But wouldn't PM's be a good idea in case you wanted to leave the US? Like if you wanted to flee to Canada? I would think PM's would spike in value & you could initially get by in Canada on your stash?
Any feed back on this??? Thanks! Bill ; )
Old 02-16-2013, 7:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
I'm sure you have an example where PMs provided value in a true SHTF situation. I have yet to see one. PMs have value with economic structure.
Read history........... Im not going to spoon feed anyone anything.
Old 02-16-2013, 9:25 PM

I started out with rolls of Silver Eagles and Maples in tubes. Then added fractional gold [1/10 1/20 and 1/4] of either eagles or maples, whatever has the best deal on the price premium over spot at the time.

I found that starting out with coins first since they are easier to compare to existing stock and are a known quantity for buyers and sellers.

After that moving onto well known generic bars and rounds to build up a stack after the coins.

Counterfeits aren't a big problem unless you are buying from ebay where you can't check it out in hand before buying. Fake silver/gold will have different density than the real thing.

A weigh scale, calipers and a known good sample of the coin/bar you are buying will protect you from 99% of counterfeits. Usually fakes will mess around with the dimensions of the coin [too thick, too wide] to get the weight to match the real thing. Details and fonts/text are usually screwed up on fakes, and the obverse/reverse usually have messed up alignments on fake coins.

Buy from known resellers and dealers and you dodge that issue.
Old 02-17-2013, 9:33 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Read history........... Im not going to spoon feed anyone anything.
I've probably read more history than most on this forum. So you made the claim, let's hear your example (edit: and I'll do my own reading to save you from typing ).

Last edited by scootergmc; 02-17-2013 at 9:38 AM..
Old 02-17-2013, 5:34 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I've probably read more history than most on this forum. So you made the claim, let's hear your example (edit: and I'll do my own reading to save you from typing ).
i lol'ed

Anyways OP, just get yourself some pre64 silver and call it good. Maybe invest in small amounts of gold. Large amounts would be too hard to divide if SHTF and you was using it for barter. Just my opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oaklander View Post
I don't like getting my butt kicked, but I would like to have it spanked by some big hairy guys!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohsmily View Post
I wouldn't put "mounting a weasel" past too many people on this forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post
Going after the NFA soon is like asking the girl you just met in the bar if she's into anal sex...
-Gene
Old 02-17-2013, 8:33 PM
Banned

Last edited by Oliver_Charles; 01-11-2014 at 1:44 PM..
Old 02-18-2013, 7:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
If you actually could read, which I doubt, then you would know what the heck I was talking about, but you dont, because you cant. Just another drive-by thread flamer. Exactly why I left and stopped posting. Do you work for the TSA by chance?

Last edited by problemchild; 02-18-2013 at 7:57 PM..
Old 02-18-2013, 8:19 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
If you actually could read, which I doubt, then you would know what the heck I was talking about, but you dont, because you cant. Just another drive-by thread flamer. Exactly why I left and stopped posting. Do you work for the TSA by chance?
I ask for a simple example and this is what you give me ? Pity. Another fine example of taking your ball and going home. You could just go away again if you can't handle it.

I stand by my argument. In a true SHTF situation, PMs are worthless without economic structure to lend value to the PMs.
Old 02-18-2013, 9:24 PM
Bit Pusher
CGN Contributor

For a SHTF situation, you'd really want stuff in smaller denominations than 1Oz. If I have stuff you need, and all you have are 1 Oz rounds...do you really think I'm going to give you change? Hah.

I would also think that lead and black powder would be easy to trade.

For long term value...really, anything that you can for a good price is the way to go. Morgans, Liberties, Eagles...whatever.
Old 02-19-2013, 5:59 AM
Girl, Interrupted
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Consider this, in the absence of Fiat Currency, something must take the place of a barter item not in possession...hence, the purpose of PM's in TEOTWAWKI or SHTF.

Example...

Of course, the S has Hit the Fan.
You have in your possession an abundance of silver.
Your well and pump has blown a seal. (Yes, you have a generator to run the pump).
You do not have a seal.

On the other side of the mountain, there is an old rancher with the seal you need.
So, you try to barter with him for said seal.
He has all the food, bullets, guns, supplies and etc... that he needs. There is nothing you have that he needs.
Of course you can't kill the guy for the seal, as some buttheads would say. You are a civilized guy.

In the absence of Fiat, you can use the PM's to buy the seal from him. He will then use the PM's to get something he needs from someone else.

There you go.
A legitimate reason for PM's in SHTF.
Old 02-19-2013, 7:03 AM

Sam Sheridan wrote a good book called, "The Disaster Diaries: How I learned to stop worrying and love the apocalypse." He argues that saving precious metals is worthless. "You can't eat or drink silver." You are better off preparing for a barter system. Water, Food, Medicine, batteries will be the currency of SHTF.
That being said, there are a million reasons why you shouldn't stockpile precious metals. But you probably SHOULD save them for all the reasons we can't think of.

Last edited by JackRackham; 02-19-2013 at 7:05 AM..
Old 02-19-2013, 8:52 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHOD View Post
Consider this, in the absence of Fiat Currency, something must take the place of a barter item not in possession...hence, the purpose of PM's in TEOTWAWKI or SHTF.

Example...

Of course, the S has Hit the Fan.
You have in your possession an abundance of silver.
Your well and pump has blown a seal. (Yes, you have a generator to run the pump).
You do not have a seal.

On the other side of the mountain, there is an old rancher with the seal you need.
So, you try to barter with him for said seal.
He has all the food, bullets, guns, supplies and etc... that he needs. There is nothing you have that he needs.
Of course you can't kill the guy for the seal, as some buttheads would say. You are a civilized guy.

In the absence of Fiat, you can use the PM's to buy the seal from him. He will then use the PM's to get something he needs from someone else.

There you go.
A legitimate reason for PM's in SHTF.
I understand bartering. However, you've assigned value to the PM. How does the silver get its value? Think Macro. There's economic structure in your scenario somewhere.
Old 02-19-2013, 8:57 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackRackham View Post
That being said, there are a million reasons why you shouldn't stockpile precious metals. But you probably SHOULD save them for all the reasons we can't think of.
This could be sound advice.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:01 AM
Veteran Member

Silver dollars...
John 3:16

United Air Epic Fail Video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u99Q7pNAjvg
Old 02-19-2013, 11:08 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
A SHTF situation is not necessarily a world wide event. Even a TEOTWAWKI situation is not necessarily a destruction of all economic structure.

I would consider the Holocaust as a true SHTF situation for the Jews.

PMs allowed many of them to get out of Nazi controlled territory before it was too late.

If you haven't seen it with your own eyes,
or heard it with your own ears,
don't make it up with your small mind,
or spread it with your big mouth.
Old 02-19-2013, 1:24 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decoligny View Post
A SHTF situation is not necessarily a world wide event. Even a TEOTWAWKI situation is not necessarily a destruction of all economic structure.

I would consider the Holocaust as a true SHTF situation for the Jews.

PMs allowed many of them to get out of Nazi controlled territory before it was too late.
I agree, it doesn't have to be a worldwide event. However, an economy still existed for the Jews. They were able to use PMs as they had value, much like the cash or other items transacted by the majority of Jews who fled the Nazis.

I'm not saying PMs don't have value following a SHTF situation. But the bug-in fortified bunker food and bullet hoarding scenarios so often presented by the preppers and the requirement of using PMs as bartering instruments is a farce. You simply can't do it without economic structure.