Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Gunsmithing & How To
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Gunsmithing & How To Pro, Amateur & WECSOG and Tutorials, Guides & OLL Build Instructions

Old 11-25-2012, 3:38 PM

Default Cleaning .22 Riffles

It's been some time from my last post and being on the forum.

I have searched for threads on cleaning and have found a few. I defiantly like what i see about Frog Lube. My question is this really a one stop clean and lube?

Second I have and am continuing to look at youtube videos for Otis kits for cleaning in filed and at the range. Would this be ok to use with Frog Lube once at home, or should i look at something else?

I guess I would like to have a nice kit that I can use at home and for quick wipe downs right after use.

Thanks for your input.
Old 11-25-2012, 5:37 PM
Banned

i use a 22 cal bore brush soaked with oil and run patches through until they come out clean.
Old 11-25-2012, 6:18 PM

So after watch count less youtube videos. I am now thinking a bore snake out at the range or in the filed would be a quick, get the loose soft out of the barrel. This being said would you still able a solvent to the snake or just run it dry?

Also using Frog lube would running a solvent first then the frog lube be advised or just use straight frog lube?

For complete cleaning I think I like the idea of a nice cleaning rod with a brush, jag and patch.
Old 11-25-2012, 7:13 PM
Toolmaker Extraordinaire
CGN Contributor

There is no chemical that cleans and lubes in one shot. There are a few chemicals that will do both but not do either very well.

I'm old school. I use Sweets 7.62 solvent on everything then follow with a good gun oil down the bore on a wet patch followed by a dry one.

This has kept my bores in top shape for many years and as long as I can get Sweets I'll be fine.

Now are you talking .22 center fire or .22LR?
Because my .22LR's are cleaned about once a decade. I don't put enough rounds through them to warrant cleaning them.
The above statement i consider a term of endearment
Need prints for your build? Need reference materials for Gunsmithing projects, Click Here
I fear that even though as tough as life has been for me I have only begun to pay for my sins.
Don't forget to have your Liberals spayed or neutered !
Old 11-25-2012, 8:28 PM
Calguns Addict

In the Field, I use a Boresnake with CLP in front of the Bristles. At Home I take it apart & use an Otis Kit. I soak a CLP Patch, then dry patch, rinse & repeat (figure of speech)