Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Ladies Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ladies Forum A place for our female Calgunners to discuss, share and interact without the 'excess attention' sometimes found in online forums.

Old 11-24-2012, 2:27 PM

Lightbulb I was wrong about PINK

Ladies, I was wrong about pink shooting gear, and I'm big enough to admit it.

I was being pretty loud earlier in the year about bubblegum-barbie-pink gear on the range, up to and including sneering at it openly. And whining about pink guns. It made me think that women were deliberately identifying themselves as "not serious shooters".

HOWEVER, the lights have finally come on in my head.

I was at the gun store the other day, getting something out of jail. A man was standing next to me, asking for 'pink guns'. I was getting ready to climb on my high horse, until the guy said "No, not just pink ! The pink that's for breast cancer!".

I have to say, my jaw dropped. I didn't know there was such a thing. Sure enough, the salesman brought out a 9mm (?) Smith and Wesson that had a partially pink grip and a breast cancer awareness pink ribbon engraved on the barrel. They are now commonly called "Hope guns". Wow. Apparently, this guy was paying for (but not choosing) a gun for his wife, who is a survivor of breast cancer. Wow again.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...layErrorView_Y Or Walther, http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...s_id/411548697 or Glocktalk

I had no idea that the bubblegun pink was sometimes about BCA. Now, let's be clear. Just because something's pink does not mean that it financially benefits the Susan B Komen Foundation. There are conflicting reports that the SBKF has officially rejected certain of the guns. (It would be worth it to ask, if you're buying something. Or maybe even pressure manufacturers to donate a percentage.)

But there is no question in my mind that we ALL should support BCA, (whether SBK or not), men and women both. Every one of us probably knows a victim or a survivor. Maybe you yourself are a survivor.

I will be buying some BCA pins to put on my pink camo hat and the CGN pink windbreaker that's being made for me. And I will flaunt my pink at the range, and cheerfully explain it to anyone who will listen.

UPDATE: I forgot to mention this. When I first started to shoot, all I wanted was to fade into the background and not make an issue out of being a woman. Just insecure in the middle of the boys club, I guess. But now, when I see all the women shooters at the range, I am prepared to step out of the camo closet and make them watch how well "the girl in pink" shoots, and how safely she does it.

Even stubborn, hardheaded, uppity women can change their minds....
Don't have children until you're married five years or at least age 30.
Put 10% of your salary into savings every month no matter how broke you are.
Don't ever screw around with the IRS.
Keep a handgun on your bedside table.
Don't smart-mouth judges, or cops who stop you on the road.

Last edited by BonnieB; 11-24-2012 at 3:05 PM..
Old 11-24-2012, 2:47 PM

I still boycott pink anything and I am so tired of the "we donate..." crap. Turning penalty flags in the NFL pink for the month of October? C'mon! Even breast cancer survivors hate it(I worked oncology, met a lot of them and for the most part they don't care). I checked out the Bersa 380 in the Breast Cancer pink mode and found the wooden pink grips to be even more uncomfortable due to the thickness of them.

Yeah, I'm still anti-pink.
Old 11-24-2012, 7:11 PM

I dont own any pink firearms. I do however think that its wrong to judge anyone about their choice in color for a firearm. If it gets them into learning, shooting and arming themselves: more power to them. I took a recent handgun training course and it was pouring rain. I stopped by the store to get a pancho since I was not expecting the rain, the only one they had in my size that I could actually use my holster with was a childs size pink one. Its sad that I *almost* considered not purchasing it on the grounds of being judged or not taken seriously. Who really cares about the color? and whats it really matter. Breast cancer awareness or not.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:47 PM

I agree with gun gal, I am not a female, but I do not think the color of ones gun matters. If it appeals to the shooter, then they will probably like their gun more and that is a plus. Pink, purple, blue (kimbers new sapphire 1911), red and black (charter revolver), I would not want to belittle the firearm just because it is not a blued or stainless gun.

How about a firearm for Cystic Fibrosis awareness!

Last edited by Vampyredark; 11-24-2012 at 10:48 PM.. Reason: added the word "for".
Old 11-24-2012, 11:18 PM

I don't care if it's crimson red, saphire blue, or passion purple. Not everyone likes black. If it creates a peak in getting in shooters to our sports and teach them about our rights to bear arms then that's ALL that matters.

The anti-gunners count on an uninformed/uneducated subjects. If it takes a pink gun to get someones interested in learning about firearms then dammit so be it!
Old 11-24-2012, 11:50 PM

I remember when I was a kid and my friend and I were arguing about which was better. ON TV or SELECT TV. Or you were Ghey if you bought Zanny Zappers. Just saying.
Old 11-25-2012, 7:54 AM
Cat-in-a-Box
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

my thinking is much along the lines of Bug.....but as much as i hate pink anything, i hate pink guns even more. why? because they look like toys and imo guns are not toys. having said that, i don't really care if someone else wants to buy a pink/red/purple/orange/black/silver/grey/green/camo gun as long as they buy a gun and support 2A rights.

"Her hands, her comfort, her confidence, her choice.", Mr K re buying a gun for a woman.

Gun Control:
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Old 11-25-2012, 9:32 AM

For the record, I"m not on board yet with pink guns for myself either. But for a woman who was a breast cancer survivor, I can totally see it.

For feminist reasons, the pink range gear is looking more acceptable to me all the time. Why should women be 'one of the boys' at the range? And pink isn't even my color, since I'm a redhead!

Now. Bugs likes orange, Savannah likes pink, not sure about Zombie, and I always prefer a lovely shade of teal. Interestingly enough, there's a new (additional, optional) official shirt color for CGN women at gun shows, a lovely shade of teal...

Last edited by BonnieB; 11-25-2012 at 9:41 AM..
Old 11-25-2012, 10:28 AM
Veteran Member

Question

If you were color blind would it matter?
Old 11-25-2012, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonnieB View Post
For the record, I"m not on board yet with pink guns for myself either. But for a woman who was a breast cancer survivor, I can totally see it.

For feminist reasons, the pink range gear is looking more acceptable to me all the time. Why should women be 'one of the boys' at the range? And pink isn't even my color, since I'm a redhead!

Now. Bugs likes orange, Savannah likes pink, not sure about Zombie, and I always prefer a lovely shade of teal. Interestingly enough, there's a new (additional, optional) official shirt color for CGN women at gun shows, a lovely shade of teal...
Hmmmm, wonder how that happened?
Old 11-25-2012, 11:56 AM
Veteran Member

I love pink and its various shades. I even look good in pink. Which, I suppose, accounts for the pink shirts and dress shirts I've had over the years. Even still have a pink robe but don't often wear it. Should probably send it back to LL Bean.

Anyway dunno if I'd ever buy any pink firearms and accessories. Resale transactions would seem to be quite limited and, I imagine, similar to trying to sell a purse and boots on Calguns (no nibbles yet ).

But lemme shoot some gal's pink pistol, rifle or shotgun, and sure! I'm willing to see if pink in anyway enhances the shooting experience.

"Let those find fault whose wit's so very small,
They've need to show that they can think at all;
Errors, like straws, upon the surface flow;
He who would search for pearls, must dive below." -- John Dryden
Old 11-26-2012, 1:22 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I have always disliked pink. It burns my eyes. It has nothing to do with guns.

I despise companies that think to market to women, they can just paint any object pink and women will come flocking to it screaming 'oh pretty...'. But I guess it works or else it wouldn't be so widespread.
All of my interests are primarily male dominated and I see this with them all (motorcycle gear, shooting stuff, video games, etc).

Again this is just my personal opinion. I would much rather be overlooked as 'one of the boys' at the range than tagged as the 'girl at the range'.

I will say that anything that diversifies the shooting demographic is a good thing. Even if it is pink.
WTB: multiautomatic ghost gun with a .30-caliber clip to disperse with 30 bullets within half a second. Must include shoulder thing that goes up. Memberships/Affiliations: CERT, ARRL ARES, NRA Patron Member, HRC, CGN/CGSSA, Cal-FFL
Old 11-26-2012, 1:41 PM

I hear ya' on the motorcycle gear! Sportbike rider and it's not so much the pink gear as it is the damn sizes!

I guess the pink bothers me because at Guns, Fish and Other Stuff(which sucks and I don't shop there) I walked in and some idiot guy clerk looked at me and instantly wanted to show me the "girl's guns". His words exactly. Went in to an archery shop and was immediately pointed to the pink camo bows too. WHY????
Old 11-26-2012, 1:46 PM

I built a 10/22 for my wife, used the hogue pink stock, she likes it.. I used it once myself in a .22 rimfire competition and placed in the top 5 out of 20 people. color doesnt do anything to make it shoot different.

i just bought her a ISSG Pink 22 pistol... whether it be for cancer support, or just because they think its pretty, who cares if it causes the person to smile when ever they see it. it the same as guys only wanting to buy FDE or Tan pistols or rifles.

I dont really care what color it is, as long as it shoots straight.

WTB: 28"+ VersaMax or 28"+ 930 barrel
WTB: Stoeger Condor Competition Combo (I'll trade 1911's or other handguns)

Free rides with Lyft

Starline Brass for Sale
Old 11-26-2012, 6:02 PM

I don't understand all the hate for pink. Is it simply against the color or what it represents (all things girly)?

Is there some unwritten rule that we can't be feminine and gun enthusiasts? Personally, I like pink. Every time I see a pink gun behind the counter or a pink camo bag/hat/etc I can't help but smile. I don't personally own a pink gun (I do have a teal CZ and my rifle will be purple) but I've always liked the hot pink/black combination.

I enjoy going to the gun shows/stores in a nice dress and boots and then catching the guys behind the counter off guard when I open my mouth because I actually know a thing or two about guns (happened twice in Victorville). There's just a certain satisfaction of being totally girly and then seeing the shock on the dude's face because I know more than his employees.
Old 11-26-2012, 6:07 PM

I read a good article once that examined the demographics of women who liked pink, and those who don't, and the conclusion was that women raised in the 50's-60's, and raised in the 80's and after were less likely to object to pink things than women raised in the 60's and 70's. From a logical standpoint, I can see the why, and while there are always exceptions, it's just an observation of the trend.

IIRC, the point of the article was that the author had problems with firearms and accessories assuming that all women would like pink things, when that obviously isn't true. The author felt that firearms and accessories should be designed and marketed towards women regardless of color.

Personally, I think that pink firearms look too much like toys, and that could be dangerous, but hey, they're not my firearms, so who am I to judge...

Last edited by CrippledPidgeon; 11-26-2012 at 6:11 PM..
Old 12-03-2012, 12:34 AM

I've never been a fan of pink on anything, but I've developed some appreciation for it now that I'm fighting breast cancer.
Old 12-03-2012, 1:58 AM

LW, honey how are you doing. I'm sure keeping going is no fun, and I think of you often. Hang in, we love you and admire your resolve. PM me if I can do anything useful.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:24 PM

That is cool as I did not know there were guns with a designation for BCA.

I have pink shooting glasses I use from time to time (my spare pair). It's more of a "oh there it is" when so as not to get lost in the dark of my bag.
Old 12-06-2012, 8:11 AM

My sister has stage 4 breast cancer. She loathes the BC pink. I guess she feels it minimizes breast cancer in general. Men get it too. I love the color pink. I don't like the fact it "stands" for something, women, breast cancer or anything else. I like wearing light pink because it is a good color on me. I LOVE my husband in pink dress shirts. He looks good!

I still am not big on pink guns. For the most part it is supposed to lure in "women" shooters. No.....I shoot because I like to shoot, not because I have a cute gun that goes with my shirt.

I don't expect everything handed to me. Just set it down anywhere. Unknown
Old 12-06-2012, 8:28 AM

I don't mind the pink, it actually hard to find good quality shooting accessories in pink, ear protection is one of them. Been trying to find a pair that didn't cost $300 or were so cheap that I t does more harm than good.
Old 12-06-2012, 8:35 AM
Banned

I run a pink BAD A.S.S. on a black rifle because I've lost two very important women to me to breast cancer. Perhaps the "We donate" doesn't pull at the heart strings like it used to for some, but it makes me feel I am playing a small part.

All cancer sucks....not just boobies cancer.
Old 12-06-2012, 8:35 AM
Banned

I run a pink BAD A.S.S. on a black rifle because I've lost two very important women to me to breast cancer. Perhaps the "We donate" doesn't pull at the heart strings like it used to for some, but it makes me feel I am playing a small part.

All cancer sucks....not just boobies cancer.
Old 12-06-2012, 8:37 AM
Cat-in-a-Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisefire View Post
I don't mind the pink, it actually hard to find good quality shooting accessories in pink, ear protection is one of them. Been trying to find a pair that didn't cost $300 or were so cheap that I t does more harm than good.

as much as i hate pink, my ear protection is pink.....i need a kid size set and it was what i found at the gunshow....and they work very well......just wish they weren't pink.

"Her hands, her comfort, her confidence, her choice.", Mr K re buying a gun for a woman.

Gun Control:
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Old 12-06-2012, 8:58 AM

I can understand the dislike for all the BCA pink if you are in the midst of a personal struggle with breast cancer. I know too many people who have suffered through it, including my mother and even friends in their 30's. However, I fully support the PINK. If the millions of $$$ go towards fighting and finding a cure to save breasts, and peoples lives. How can that not be supported? I participated this year in the Susan G. event at Fashion Island for the first time this year and was really blessed that I did.

As for the shooting gear. I love seeing women at the range no matter what color gear, guns, skin, whatever. Love to see more participate in the shooting sports.
Old 12-06-2012, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movie zombie View Post
as much as i hate pink, my ear protection is pink.....i need a kid size set and it was what i found at the gunshow....and they work very well......just wish they weren't pink.
Maybe they could be spray painted a lovely shade of teal, the same way they paint composite stocks?
Old 12-06-2012, 5:34 PM
Cat-in-a-Box

LOL, you and your "teal", bonnie!

Gun Control:
Old 12-06-2012, 6:36 PM

Nothing wrong with teal, one of my fav colors too.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:46 PM

Steph, LOVE it!
Old 12-07-2012, 7:08 AM
Cat-in-a-Box

i personally just cannot get into color guns. admittedly, i saw one i liked at Eddy's in mountain view owned by another woman shopping in there. more of a silver metal that was treated to show metalic coloring that appeared to change as you turned the pistol.

Gun Control:
Old 12-07-2012, 7:37 AM

Still holding out for my Rainbow Titanium Sig...